Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunshaughlin Village: A Photographic Tour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Now on the east side, the Campus garage is the only other convenience shop in Dunshaughlin, apart fromTara News...

seen better days...

Peter's Pub...goes back a long ways...I have an old photo of this pub from the 40's or 50's and it shows petrol pumps on the pavement outside...

(Actully have five or six old black and white photos of Dunshaughlin from around this period. I got them in Fairyhouse market from a chap there who has thousands of old pictures from all around Ireland).

Moments away from the razzmatazz of Main Street, the sobering stillness of a Sunday morning cemetery...

Hope to add more photos in the next few days...

This used to be the butcher shop we had in the village up to about four or five years ago (Walsh'es)...now as a euro-shop, not bad relative to other shops of its type elsewhere ...

• Advertisement

Continuing south along the east side of Main st....
    The first shot is of the Toll House, an historical building, which was partially demolished when it had a close encounter with an articulated truck about six years ago, then it was re-built with the contrasting extension to the side.

Jenny's shop really sets the trend architectually, with its box design upstairs, built a few years ago. Not sure about the building next door as regards its history, I'm sure somebody out there knows something about it, though.

Last of the buildings on the East side of the Main St.
    The library, now housed in the old church, is a gem. As I may have mentioned in a previous post, it is a real haven of tranquility.
    Also shown here are the Fortuna shops, just off Main St, behind "Jenny's".
    They are a little out of sight, but hopefully they will prosper, and help to keep the village alive, commercially.

Coming towards the end of the tour now (at last!), showing the mostly empty shops built as part of the Ivy appartments. The "chocolate Fringe" hair salon (love to know wherew the name came from!) seems to be doing well, very stylish in its lay-out. The photo shop, though, didn't last long, for whatever reason.

The "Venice" restaurant is also tastefully laid out, and is a welcome addition to the commercial life of the village....
    So, that's it, I think...there have already been a few changes to the appearance of the village sinse I took these photos on 11th April.
    E.g., "Classic Cuts" is now painted pink, the FRS letters above the AIB bank logo have been painted over, there is a new time/temperature display above the o'toole's pharmacy logo etc., etc., so already some of the photos represent an historical record!

• Advertisement
Advertisement