Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

Options
  • 14-04-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My son should be going to University of Ulter in September 2010. We live in Donegal and have done so since 2007. We moved from Scotland then, he has a national insurance number and a PPS number, will he get finacial help and if so who from. Rememer I am his mum so please send reply in simple format....thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

The best thing you could do for now is contact your local authority and ask them directly whether he would be elligible for a grant or not. You cant start applying for grants until he has been offered a place in university.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think this is slightly more complicated because the University of Ulster is in the UK. However the people you would need to talk to are Donegal County Council - this page tells you who you need to speak to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shanne hendry

Thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

UU is not any more complicated, if you are eligible for a grant then it can be used in any part of Ireland, but not abroad. So grants would not be payable in Scotland, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Minnesota

I looked at the university of ulster and I thought I could receive more financial aid than UCD. My situation is a bit different since I am British and American. From what I understand if you are a citizen of the UK you can will receive financial aid if you have have been paying the England (or maybe Scotland?) for three years straight. It might be different, but I would call the school financial aid office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shanne hendry

Hi

Would you have a contact number please

Many thanks
    Shanne

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Citizenship is not relevant to this issue, in general. Residence is the issue, if you live in place for the last 3 years is the general test. The OP is resident in Donegal and can apply for a grant there, having a UK social insurance number is not helpful unless you have been paying into it in the last 3 years, perhaps by working in NI.

Advertisement