Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure whats next

Options
  • 14-04-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi I am less than a year out of colelge but got the opportunity to develop a new system through c#.net and sql server in work, I have since moved team to a more support based role where I only get to use SQL.

I am interested in keeping up/developing my c# however (I didn't actually do it in college only touched on c++ in 1st and 2nd year) but really enjoyed the coding I got to do and would like to get some sort of certificate to prove i can do it.

What is the best way of going about this?

I would prefer to work away on this at home through tutorials if possible before sitting an exam as opposed to a night course.

I do not know if I would be able for the standard .net microsoft certs would there be a better one to start with?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

mini-bump on this I picked a stupid thread title maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Freddio

If you prefer to work from home, you should develop something you have an interest in ie fantasy football app. or somesuch. Experience is much more valuable and valued. The microsoft cert will be the icing on the cake and you can do those without enrolling on a course, anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You should express these feelings in work too, and ask if there will be any future opportnites to do more coding. Perhaps they could contribute in some way to a course, or maybe you could ask someone in the staff to mentor you on your own projects in C#. Programming away on your own is good, but it's important to get feedback from someone as you progress.

Advertisement