Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gesturing

• 14-04-2010 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi D, You had someone on your show ,at least I think it was your show, who said that to gesture to another driver to pull out, is not the right thing to do as you could be liable ,if they had an accident.

Can you say if this is true?
    Can you give us a link to that piece.
    Can you let me know who it was?
    And more importantly is it correct?

I just applied for my licence and want to know what the correct thing to do is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eaglelegal

I posted main q in the post above,but its not just about gesturing someone during the driving test.
    Is it correct that this ,beckoning,flashing lights etc should never be done to indicate to someone that they can pull out?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Post moved to Learning To Drive.

The guys here'll be able to answer your questions for sure.

Anyone know about this?
    Its not for learner drivers.Most likely the more experienced drivers would know if this is the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

eaglelegal wrote: »
    Its not for learner drivers.Most likely the more experienced drivers would know if this is the case?

A lot of learners are experienced! This forum is for all licence categories, people learning to drive a truck or bus usually have quite a lot of experience in cars first, and there are some instructors lying around too. :)

Anyway on to your question:

Can you be held liable if you gesture to someone to make a manoeuvre, and that manoeuvre causes a collision?

The answer, unfortunately, is probably. It shouldn't be the case, because the person should take all reasonable observations and take responsibility for their own actions. But insurance companies hate us being responsible adults, because it settles the matter before they get a chance to argue the case.

If you do this in your test you'll get a blue mark. The best thing to do, in your test and in real life, is to keep with your right of way and, if you want to be courteous, just hang back a bit and let the other driver make up his own mind. Maybe a smile and eye contact, to acknowledge him being there, will let him know what you're up to but without actually telling him what to do.

Cool and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

During my test I just flicked my fingers up as most do when gesturing, and my instructor simply told me that can be a blue mark as 'I'm not in control of the car', he didn't mark me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

eaglelegal wrote: »
    Hi D, You had someone on your show ,at least I think it was your show, who said that to gesture to another driver to pull out, is not the right thing to do as you could be liable ,if they had an accident.

Can you say if this is true?
    Can you give us a link to that piece.
    Can you let me know who it was?
    And more importantly is it correct?

I just applied for my licence and want to know what the correct thing to do is?
    I can't comment on the legal aspect, and gestures are best avoided for the test. That being said, in the real world good communication can make motoring more efficient, safe and pleasant for everybody

If another driver shows good manners, acknowledge it. It's pretty rare, and definitely to be encouraged!

If right of way is doubtful, a gesture which invites (not instructs) the other driver to go ahead is not out of order.

If I am stopped on the road, with an entrance nearby, I have no problem inviting drivers (that's 'palm up' for me) to enter the space in front of me.

On the other hand, inviting people across your lane as you approach a junction/entrance is no good. Let people use their own best judgement.

Advertisement