Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Well here's how I see it.........

after the dates in Oz and Kiwiland they'll take at least 6mths off, then next Summer they'll do the 10/11 date special tour - whatever is involved with those dates, maybe it's a 3hr show with lots of special effects, and in special venues around the World (like Nimmes).....

then I think they - if the schedules can be worked out do the Big Four tour.......after that who knows - I think they'll do a new album, I'd like to see a continuation of the Death Magnetic revival, but in a couple of years time the lads may just have decided that they are done with the whole lot........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Metallica have a few milestones coming up and I think that any gap in touring will not last more then 6 to 8 months given that the next few years are crucial for the band.

I would think it will be something like this

2011 - Metallica celebrate their 30th Anniversary
    2011/12 - Big Four Tour
    2013 - Metallica release their 10th studio album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I remember reading a quote from Rob a couple of months ago where he was saying that the band have some ideas for a new album and I think that they will want to expand on what they have re-discovered with Death Magnetic.

As for touring, I remember reding on blabbermouth, and it is possibly in this tread somewhere, that they have plans for a big stage show next year that would only involve a few US dates.

So, they are definatly gonna keep going, would seem a bit pointless in giving up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

It'll be interesting to see what the follow up to DM sounds like. The addition of Rob on bass seems to have improved things.

Hopefully they will continue in the upward revival that death magnetic was, after the abomination of st anger.

Although I think metallica really shouldnt be back in ireland now for a few years (until the big 4 come here please :p) - otherwise we have had them here in 04, 06, 08,09 and a couple of belfast gigs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

If they do come back, it should be indoors.

However, I can't see them going on for much longer??? Poor Kirk is pushing 50 for God's sake.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Max Power1 wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what the follow up to DM sounds like. The addition of Rob on bass seems to have improved things.

Hopefully they will continue in the upward revival that death magnetic was, after the abomination of st anger.

Although I think metallica really shouldnt be back in ireland now for a few years (until the big 4 come here please :p) - otherwise we have had them here in 04, 06, 08,09 and a couple of belfast gigs aswell.

yeah that would be 03, 04, 06, 08, 09, and 2010 in Belfast........
    I would love too see a couple of nights of the Big Four in the O2 rather than an outdoor gig......

waiting for the big announcement for next years special shows - and I'd expect them to come around the end of the Oz/Kiwi dates....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

If they do come back, it should be indoors.

However, I can't see them going on for much longer??? Poor Kirk is pushing 50 for God's sake.:D

look at iron maiden for gods sake!

As for touring, I remember reding on blabbermouth, and it is possibly in this tread somewhere, that they have plans for a big stage show next year that would only involve a few US dates.

I'm not sure if it would only involve the US, but I did post the article your talking about

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-plan-stage-show-to-rival-pink-floyds-the-wall/#comment
    Metallica manager Peter Mensch has revealed the band have some major plans for 2011.

“Let’s just say that next year you will see a Metallica tour that will blow your mind. They will only play in 10 cities but it will be a huge undertaking. It will be Metallica’s equivalent of The Wall.”

I take it that he was the guy on the phone in Some Kind Of Monster trying to get them to think about not playing the Raiders game at HT?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭trey99

Vanhalla wrote: »
    look at iron maiden for gods sake!

yes look at them.. 15 studio albums and still going strong.

the thing with metallica is that they are running out of ideas for new songs i think. there isn't much more you can do with their style of playing because i think they have pretty much done it all, and done it well. apart from st anger. maybe they should stay with touring before lars decides to use a couple of pots and pans again for his drums and have a st anger part deux..

god i hate that guy so much.. never in my life have i heard such a bad live drummer. he has got so lazy.. creeping death live is just 6-8 taps on the snare and into the song..

everybody else is still going great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Are metallica planning on releasing a follow up to death magnetic? Or will they be going into semi retirement coupled with an odd tour after this tour finishes?

I smell retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

The Big 4 DVD is due to be released on October 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Degag wrote: »
    The Big 4 DVD is due to be released on October 15th.
    Cheers.

Perfect timing, one day before my birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cheers.

Perfect timing, one day before my birthday!

Although there is a lot in it, it's a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Although there is a lot in it, it's a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

I presume that a DVD will be released on it's own, not part of the box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I presume that a DVD will be released on it's own, not part of the box set.

DVD is €20,Blu-ray is €23.:)

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/invt/0602527477770?_lm_esp=2-22-62

May be of interest to some. I don't normally buy metal books unless they're autobiographies but this may be the exception. Halfin is a brilliant photographer so it should be good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Metallica-Ross-Halfin/dp/0811875059/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283573053&sr=1-1

lord lucan wrote: »
    May be of interest to some. I don't normally buy metal books unless they're autobiographies but this may be the exception. Halfin is a brilliant photographer so it should be good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Metallica-Ross-Halfin/dp/0811875059/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283573053&sr=1-1

Wasn't this already released about a decade or more ago by the same person, I mean, I know this will include more up to date photographs and everything but I presume the majority of the book will be from the first print....I'm almost sure this is a re release

Wasn't this already released about a decade or more ago by the same person, I mean, I know this will include more up to date photographs and everything but I presume the majority of the book will be from the first print....I'm almost sure this is a re release

He done 2 other books years ago alright,this one is new apparently. I've never bought the older ones so i'll probably get this one. Steffan Chirazi,the editor of the Fan Club mag is doing some writing for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

anyone have the French dvd or the Mexican dvd? Was thinking of the Mexican one....

seachto7 wrote: »
    anyone have the French dvd or the Mexican dvd? Was thinking of the Mexican one....

I prefer the Nimes one myself. The Mexico one is in the 'mtv' style,camera pulling in and out and coming from weird angles. The Nimes one is 'in the round' and better imo.

• Advertisement

cool might check it out then...

Are the Nimes and Mexico videos of good quality? There werealot of bad reviews when they were released regarding sound and picture quality.

Are the Nimes and Mexico videos of good quality? There werealot of bad reviews when they were released regarding sound and picture quality.

I never had any problems with them. To my eyes and ears they seemed bang on.

checked out the performances on youtube, and looks pretty good. thought the mexico setlist looks a bit better....

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I prefer the mexico one because of the set list but watching it can get annoying with the constant cut backs to crowd interviews after 2 or 3 songs.

Saying that though the Nimes one is still pretty great.
    I also much prefer the drum sound on the Mexico DVD and some of the performances are pretty amazing like Fight Fire with Fire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Haha, somethings a bit fishy about that Nimes dvd. Listen to the drumming on "one"from marlay park 2009. Then listen to the Nimes recording.

Different drummers?

Haha, somethings a bit fishy about that Nimes dvd. Listen to the drumming on "one"from marlay park 2009. Then listen to the Nimes recording.

Different drummers?

They've definitely 'beefed up' the drum sound and enhanced the double bass. One thing i have noticed on the LiveMet recordings is that the double bass doesn't come across very well. I've been at shows were i could see and feel the double bass but listening back it's nearly inaudible. Lars is a bit on the lazy side when it comes to his double bass work,often leaving it out entirely. A shame really as it really enhances many of their songs but lars just can't be bothered these days.

IIRC they made a balls of 'One' at Marley park last time out. Goes to show,even after almost 30 years going they still **** it up sometimes!:D

lord lucan wrote: »
    IIRC they made a balls of 'One' at Marley park last time out. Goes to show,even after almost 30 years going they still **** it up sometimes!:D

Well said

Even their Live in Mexico 1993 recording had several problems....and I think James pointed a few of them out at the time, as did Cunning Stunts

Maybe it's part of the Metallica ethos to be a little "shakey" and "real" now and again

New Metallica EP coming soon by the way, out Sep 20th, in celebration of their forthcoming tour....EP isn't that bad either, interesting live tracklist and some rare numbers

Six_Feet_Down_Under_EP.JPG

Eye of the Beholder - Recorded live on May 4, 1989 at Festival Hall in Melbourne
    ...And Justice For All - Recorded live on May 4, 1989 at Festival Hall in Melbourne
    Through the Never - Recorded live on April 8, 1993 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    The Unforgiven - Recorded live on April 4, 1993 at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne
    Low Man's Lyric (Acoustic) - Recorded live on April 11, 1998 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    Devil's Dance - Recorded live on April 12, 1998 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    Frantic - Recorded live on January 21, 2004 at the Entertainment Centre in Sydney
    Fight Fire With Fire - Recorded live on January 19, 2004 at the Entertainment Centre in Brisbane

• Advertisement

New Metallica EP coming soon by the way, out Sep 20th, in celebration of their forthcoming tour....EP isn't that bad either, interesting live tracklist and some rare numbers

Six_Feet_Down_Under_EP.JPG

Eye of the Beholder - Recorded live on May 4, 1989 at Festival Hall in Melbourne
    ...And Justice For All - Recorded live on May 4, 1989 at Festival Hall in Melbourne
    Through the Never - Recorded live on April 8, 1993 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    The Unforgiven - Recorded live on April 4, 1993 at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne
    Low Man's Lyric (Acoustic) - Recorded live on April 11, 1998 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    Devil's Dance - Recorded live on April 12, 1998 at the Entertainment Centre in Perth
    Frantic - Recorded live on January 21, 2004 at the Entertainment Centre in Sydney
    Fight Fire With Fire - Recorded live on January 19, 2004 at the Entertainment Centre in Brisbane

The pre-2004 tracks are fan bootlegs given a basic engineering job by Metallicas crew. I think some are soundboard recordings.

Advertisement