Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Just listened to the Master of puppets sound track for the movie, not bad at all. Does anyone else think that the fire in their music is gone these days?

I know their are getting on a bit, and they will never play like seattle 1989, but even the guitars, they are a bit like "killl em all" but lighter, especially on magnetic. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The guitar sound on DM is ok-ish but very plain/dry and it's used on every song, dunno if that's Rick Rubin's fault as he strikes me as one of these 'back to basics' producers. They seem obsessed with sounding like a garage band.

The guitar sound on DM is ok-ish but very plain/dry and it's used on every song, dunno if that's Rick Rubin's fault as he strikes me as one of these 'back to basics' producers. They seem obsessed with sounding like a garage band.

Yeah even the live stuff over the last few years is very "kill em all" guitar sound. The songs are not fat, hard, like they used to be. I think they sound mild these days.

DM is not produced very well, probably Rubins fault. Turn it way up and it crackles a fair bit. Even if they got back to sounding like Justice, except with the bass turned up that would be cool.

There's definitely something missing in the current live sound, it does sound very basic and thin. Especially master of puppets, they don't play it the way it was meant to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah it's on record by the band and the experts that they made a dogs dinner of the mixing on DM. How could that possibly happen at that level.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's on record by the band and the experts that they made a dogs dinner of the mixing on DM. How could that possibly happen at that level.

Boggles the mind really, they should bring back Flemming Rasmussen to mix and engineer their new stuff. In fairness Bob Rock did a good job of the black album. St Anger, I personally hated it, it sounded like a bunch former alcoholics trying to find how they used to "do it" before the rehab stuff.

Rick Rubin is way overrated.

All rubin does is get the band to pick their ten best songs and use them as templates to write ten new ones...same with the new Sabbath album. Once you hear this you can't really take the material seriously artistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Isn't the guitar hero mix of DM supposed to be the one to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

seachto7 wrote: »
    Isn't the guitar hero mix of DM supposed to be the one to get?

Yup! Its not as bad as the official, but still not great. Hell I bought the album on vinyl and it still sounds like pants. Clipping everywhere.

All rubin does is get the band to pick their ten best songs and use them as templates to write ten new ones...same with the new Sabbath album. Once you hear this you can't really take the material seriously artistically.

I think Ricks beard is getting in the way of the nobs on the mixing desk, he's pressing the wrong buttons. On the other hand James has said before that all the stuff he wrote about his childhood etc... came out in puppets, justice and the black album. The lads are rich now, so not so much hatred or anger in the music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Didn't it come out too that the guy who actually mixed the album said he hated the sound, and the band had final say in everything and wanted it like that?

Didn't it come out too that the guy who actually mixed the album said he hated the sound, and the band had final say in everything and wanted it like that?

It's a bit like Lars saying they turned the bass down on justice to píss off Jason. Mad stuff.

They may have had the final say, but the final day was decided back stage at a festival listening with head phones in a tent FACT

They may have had the final say, but the final day was decided back stage at a festival listening with head phones in a tent FACT

Isn't that because they are now essentially business men now and not alco's. So Metallica is a business and they are very much into "targets" and annual profit. Instead of getting pissed, playing savage gigs and screwing women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Just listened to the Master of puppets sound track for the movie, not bad at all. Does anyone else think that the fire in their music is gone these days?

:confused:

They lost their fire in the late 80s!

Not a chance, did you see Russia 1991?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Have you ever seen them playing at their Cunning Stunts concert. They still had it after the 80's. Unless you're one of those Metallica fans who thinks Metallica sold out, and anything to do post Justice For All sucks and they lost their edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've seen them 25times or so since 1985, and the way i see it is pre, maybe '95 they put every fcukin ounce of energy into a show and were awesome every time, from the time of Garage Inc i found them, boring at times, Dynamo Festival in Holland is one that springs to mind, they just seemed to be going through the motions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Any irish gig I've been to I have really enjoyed, but download 2012 was such a letdown, not sure why, maybe I was too far back, just didn't seem to have the energy. 2008 in Marlay park was probably my favourite Metallica show to date. Maybe 2006.its close.

Isn't that because they are now essentially business men now and not alco's. So Metallica is a business and they are very much into "targets" and annual profit. Instead of getting pissed, playing savage gigs and screwing women.
    the fact they postponed a south american tour and returned to Europe (I was surprised to see the last marley park gig here) to rip out the last of the Euros before the crash, backs up your statement!!! It's not about places they'd like to play it's about markets!! Notice they played nearly every year of the celtic tiger!! That was no accident. They actually thought the Euro was collapsing at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So the new trailer has more rioting and concert footage. Is that what it's going to be? A Metallica concert and a riot? Oh, and there's a guy on a horse in a scary mask.

dunno haven't seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

So the new trailer has more rioting and concert footage. Is that what it's going to be? A Metallica concert and a riot? Oh, and there's a guy on a horse in a scary mask.

Could've saved themselves a few quid and used the footage from Montreal in 92.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen them playing at their Cunning Stunts concert. They still had it after the 80's. Unless you're one of those Metallica fans who thinks Metallica sold out, and anything to do post Justice For All sucks and they lost their edge.

Cunning Stunts dvd is good. The Load stuff comes across very well, and for me, it's their last good album, though the DM stuff ain't the worst live.
    That Cunning Stunts dvd is ruined by the guy swinging off the ladder in the rope. I was at the gig in the Point in 96 and not for one second did I think it was actually real...

Cunning Stunts dvd is good. The Load stuff comes across very well, and for me, it's their last good album, though the DM stuff ain't the worst live.
    That Cunning Stunts dvd is ruined by the guy swinging off the ladder in the rope. I was at the gig in the Point in 96 and not for one second did I think it was actually real...
    why would you...twas just a laugh

It ruined an otherwise excellent gig. It was like kiddies panto time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It ruined an otherwise excellent gig. It was like kiddies panto time...

It was a brilliant gig.

Ah yeah, it was a great gig (96 in the point). The dvd is very good too, bar those few minutes with yer man swinging off the ladder! I thought the Load material comes across VERY well live on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Just so anyone interested knows; Cineworld Dublin has some listings/bookings up for the IMAX from October 4th, its at the bottom of the page: http://www.cineworld.ie/whatson?75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

it will be shown in the lighthouse too!

Advertisement