Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it is religion though... they don't call it that to sucker in the agnostics but it is.
    he seems to be quite careful when discussing it though, he steers away from religion ....even though it is and he seems big into the imagery these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

the higher power comes directly from rehab *since 2003ish" it's not specifically religion it's to help stay off the beer.

That tattoo is still the business:D

the higher power comes directly from rehab *since 2003ish" it's not specifically religion it's to help stay off the beer.

I also saw an interview with him about absent fathers, where he describes his other side of himself sitting (metaphorically ) at the end of his bed every morning telling him to go on the píss. He does seem to take it day by day. Kirk just gave it up cos he was bored with it.

I know I read that he said he doesn't see his lyrics as poetic. He writes the music first then makes the lyrics fit.

Correct Justice with (partial) lyrics:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Correct Justice with (partial) lyrics:pac:

haha! in the "year and a half pt. 1" video there's footage of him singing wherever I may road with na-na' rather than words too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The B-sides to some of the Black Album/Load/ReLoad singles were demos that had a lot of na-na-nas as well.

What are people's favorite Metallica videos? mine are the two below. Puppets Seattle 1989, the energy in it is amazing, would love to see that kind of energy from them again. The intro with Jason is brilliant. The Russia one gives me goose bumps, the crowd and the heavy intro, fúckin' deadly.

Russia 1991 Enter Sandman

Master of Puppets Seattle 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RIP Cliff, taken to young and way years ahead of his time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    RIP Cliff, taken to young and way years ahead of his time

Amazing bass player.

Amazing bass player.

I always imagine what justice would have been like if he had lived? We all know the bass was turned down to "píss off Jason" all the remastered blackend songs on YouTube have the bass turned way to far up, some are good but some are quite annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I always imagine what justice would have been like if he had lived? We all know the bass was turned down to "píss off Jason" all the remastered blackend songs on YouTube have the bass turned way to far up, some are good but some are quite annoying.

Let's not start that one again. This thread seems to go around in circles. AJFA was done the way it was done, end of story.

It's kinda funny that AJFA was the first metal album I liked, so being the young impressionable age I was, I listened the bejaysus out of it, as a result I love that scooped-mids, flat, no bass sound. It actually took me a few years to get into other bands as a result, as I'd always think "ooooh too boomy in the bass department, where's the flatness". Mad how it plays out like that.

Let's not start that one again. This thread seems to go around in circles. AJFA was done the way it was done, end of story.

Ok ok!!! Don't to stressed about it:)

It's kinda funny that AJFA was the first metal album I liked, so being the young impressionable age I was, I listened the bejaysus out of it, as a result I love that scooped-mids, flat, no bass sound. It actually took me a few years to get into other bands as a result, as I'd always think "ooooh too boomy in the bass department, where's the flatness". Mad how it plays out like that.

I discovered sepultra at that time, I was totally overtaken by "beneath the remains" and "arise", some of the best heavy metal produced ever.

So what do you guys think of Lars drumming??

I heard he has a beef with Napster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm not a drummer but...it's not bad??? I don't really get the hysterical reactions in relation to the de tuned snare on St. Anger either, he was going for something unconventional, so what. It may not sound great but I applaud him for doing something that isn't expected. His drumming seems pretty good but nothing exceptional in terms of technique, just good.

Metallica as musicians get a hell of a lot of flack for their musicianship but as a guitarist I can say that Kirk Hammett is good, for example the solo on Disposable Heros is incredibly melodic. I don't get how so many metal bands dont get called up as much on their musical performances, for example fast Eddy Clark pretty much plays one solo on Motorhead's Ace of Spades but I seldom here criticisms about that. In addition, John Bonham, to me, doesn't play anything any more technically difficult than Lars Ulrich but he never gets written off, quite the opposite and rightly so because he came up iconic, atmospheric beats. There is an awful lot of technical snobbery in metal as a whole, how fast and clean this or that guitarist, bassist or drummer can play, having gone down that route all this is irrelevant to me, it's whether they evoke an atmosphere that affects the listener, that is the philosopher's stone of music imo. John Bonham did, Lars Ulrich to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

New book out in November called Birth, School, Metallica, Death:Volume 1

Is written by Ian Winwood and Paul Brannigan (both with close ties to the band over the years) and deals with the band's history up as far as 1991. Has gotten some good reviews from the rock press and Volume 2 (1991 to 2013) will be out next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

I'm not a drummer but...it's not bad??? I don't really get the hysterical reactions in relation to the de tuned snare on St. Anger either, he was going for something unconventional, so what. It may not sound great but I applaud him for doing something that isn't expected. His drumming seems pretty good but nothing exceptional in terms of technique, just good.

Metallica as musicians get a hell of a lot of flack for their musicianship but as a guitarist I can say that Kirk Hammett is good, for example the solo on Disposable Heros is incredibly melodic. I don't get how so many metal bands dont get called up as much on their musical performances, for example fast Eddy Clark pretty much plays one solo on Motorhead's Ace of Spades but I seldom here criticisms about that. In addition, John Bonham, to me, doesn't play anything any more technically difficult than Lars Ulrich but he never gets written off, quite the opposite and rightly so because he came up iconic, atmospheric beats. There is an awful lot of technical snobbery in metal as a whole, how fast and clean this or that guitarist, bassist or drummer can play, having gone down that route all this is irrelevant to me, it's whether they evoke an atmosphere that affects the listener, that is the philosopher's stone of music imo. John Bonham did, Lars Ulrich to a lesser extent.

Did you seriously just compare Lars to John Bonham!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mmm never mention those in the same breath. His snare sound isn't detuned, it's high pitched with a metallic ring, he just did away with the actually snare wires that make it sound so shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'll come clean, I thought it sounded good

Watched 'Mission to Lars' the other night on Flim4, it's also on YouTube, have a watch, GREAT film but pretty sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Watched 'Mission to Lars' the other night on Flim4, it's also on YouTube, have a watch, GREAT film but pretty sad

Really enjoyed that cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Watched that aswell.
    Managed to get my Mam and Girlfriend to watch it as I have a nephew with Autism so it got their interest and they were very surprised and happy to see how much time and effort Lars put in when he met him in the film.

Whatever about people say about Lars he does seem to have an interest in the fans and what they have to say going by the MET Club videos where they meet the fans.

Lars is a gobshite, lets not sugar coat it, but he DOES care about the fans and listens to them, i think the issue is, and it's touched on by Lars himself in the film (i think), is that the amount of people between the initial contact and finally getting to meet him is ridiculous.

Funny parts in that film too,
    Do you want to go to the concert....NO

Do you want to meet Lars.........NO

His sister goes to the gig (Vegas) while they sit in the campervan and go to the laundrette!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-to-cross-another-frontier-in-december/
    Let the rumour factory be put back into action as Lars Ulrich has offered a tantalising hint that Metallica will be doing something big this Christmas.

“There’s a very interesting thing coming our way in December,” he tells Cali radio station 107.7 The Bone. “Nobody knows that, so… There’s another frontier heading in Metallica’s direction in December. Which, if anybody even knew that I just said what I just said, they would hunt me down and silence me. But there is another frontier coming in December, which we’re very excited about.”

oooooh. I wonder what it is....... and how much money they'll make from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Frontier? Can't they just grow old doing their thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ush wrote: »
    Frontier? Can't they just grow old doing their thing.
    life is for living!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-to-cross-another-frontier-in-december/

oooooh. I wonder what it is....... and how much money they'll make from it.

Probably a concept album with Leonard Cohen.:pac:

Advertisement