Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lars trolled everybody in regards to the supposed announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Damage inc

the fact they postponed a south american tour and returned to Europe (I was surprised to see the last marley park gig here) to rip out the last of the Euros before the crash, backs up your statement!!! It's not about places they'd like to play it's about markets!! Notice they played nearly every year of the celtic tiger!! That was no accident. They actually thought the Euro was collapsing at the time.

The only South American tour they cancelled was back in 2003 during the St Anger world tour. Rumours at the time that Hetfield fell off the wagon or came close to it and needed a break for a few weeks

They played Marley park in 2008 and 2009 as part of the Death magnetic tour. Nothing strange there. They also played Ireland in 03/04 as part of the St Anger World tour and again in 06 as part of a European run.

Dont think they were sitting in HQ one day thinking the euro was going to collapse so lets go play Ireland!!

This probably why they spend so much time in Asia, Australia and now China, all booming economies.

they just did a few gigs in the likes of Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia for the first tie in 20 years and only the second time in their careers.

They played China a few months ago for the first time ever whereas other bands have been going there for years.

They played Aus/NZ in 2010 on the Death magnetic run and again this year for the Soundwave festival. Before that it was 2004

Hardly spending so much time now is it!!

Of course, that's why we'll never see them here until the next economic cycle. By that time they will probably have retired, Kirk said he's itching to take a couple of years off. He's on record saying he's a pain in his nuts touring to make money, it's not like the "old" days where you release an album and reap the rewards.

It's just going through the motions for him anyway.

They will be back in Ireland on the world tour for the next record. Nothing to do with the economic cycle

They would probably have played here in the last year or two if there was a decent festival that would book them

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/metallica-to-cross-another-frontier-in-december/

oooooh. I wonder what it is....... and how much money they'll make from it.

this is an idiotic comment...so every other band in the world makes no money from whatever they do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Damage inc wrote: »
    They will be back in Ireland on the world tour for the next record. Nothing to do with the economic cycle

They would probably have played here in the last year or two if there was a decent festival that would book them

A few years back they brought forward a European tour by a year because the economy in Europe was tanking and they they thought that if they stuck to the original plan tickets wouldn't sell as well because there wouldn't be as much disposable income around. It was one of their mangers who said it in an interview. I've no link but I'm sure it'd be easy enough to find.

Edit - found link

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/metallica-vs-the-recession

this is an idiotic comment...so every other band in the world makes no money from whatever they do

Of course they do. But look at the link in my post above. I don't think many other bands see themselves as a product like Coca Cola. It also says they are picking their touring locations on profitability which is something you said wasn't the case earlier.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of big Metallica fans here. We'd all just prefer if they, at least publicly, acted like they're a band and not a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Metallica aren't a band anymore, they're a brand. Just like Kiss. Seriously, what heavy metal band needs they're own brand of pinball machine? They haven't made a record in 5 years, the last one was 5 years before that.

Metallicorp is a company. Companies are primarily about making a profit and these days albums don't make much money, whereas long-ass tours and annual festivals and 3D movies and pinball machines do.

I love Metallica. Regardless of what they do I'll support it. But for christs sake start the damn album!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

They haven't made a record in 5 years, the last one was 5 years before that.

but there's no money in making albums, touring is where it's at, they have to fund $20m 3D movies somehow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The sooner they ditch that Danish financial advisor and recruit the God that is Lombardo the better.
    Can you just imagine what that would sound like ?

• Advertisement

but there's no money in making albums, touring is where it's at, they have to fund $20m 3D movies somehow ;)

All of this money floating around and Lars still can't afford a decent hair-piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The sooner they ditch that Danish financial advisor and recruit the God that is Lombardo the better.

A) Music is a business
    B) Lars ain't gonna be fired from his own band, now, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

A) Music is a business
    B)Lars ain't gonna be fired from his own band, now, is he

That he owns the name and trademark of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The only South American tour they cancelled was back in 2003 during the St Anger world tour. Rumours at the time that Hetfield fell off the wagon or came close to it and needed a break for a few weeks

They played Marley park in 2008 and 2009 as part of the Death magnetic tour. Nothing strange there. They also played Ireland in 03/04 as part of the St Anger World tour and again in 06 as part of a European run.

Dont think they were sitting in HQ one day thinking the euro was going to collapse so lets go play Ireland!!
    it's not their call...Q prime make those decisions.
    here's one article i found without any effort at all...it covers my point pretty much, i'll find the specific article.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/61250-metallica-races-the-collapse-of-the-euro

We're a US export the same way Coca-Cola is. We look for the best markets."
    peter mensch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that's different...touring an album is what it is....

I know Metallica get a lot of slagging on these pages (me included) about being a business first and a band second but to be fair I think this movie thing was done for the love of it and not because it would make them money. Apparently they put up the money themselves and knew it would be very hard to break even but went ahead with it anyway because it was something they wanted to do.

I read that a typical rule of thumb for films is that to break even it needs to gross twice what it cost to produce so for TTN, it'll need to gross around $36m. After 3 weeks the figures for the states are only $3m so unless it does really well overseas or sells a shed load when it comes out on DVD, they're not going to be adding much to their retirement funds.

Of course they do. But look at the link in my post above. I don't think many other bands see themselves as a product like Coca Cola. It also says they are picking their touring locations on profitability which is something you said wasn't the case earlier.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of big Metallica fans here. We'd all just prefer if they, at least publicly, acted like they're a band and not a business.

i think every bands management company would see them as a product weather the band likes it or not.

I remember that interview with Peter Mensh being on Sky News.

In fairness when they have a world tour they will play everywhere but when its one off shows for a few weeks every summer then i suppose they think where they can make the most money

In fairness though they have played pretty much everywhere (South Africa, UAE,India, SE Asia, AUS, Europe) in the last two years so its not like they are picking one market and milking it dry.

Metallica aren't a band anymore, they're a brand. Just like Kiss. Seriously, what heavy metal band needs they're own brand of pinball machine? They haven't made a record in 5 years, the last one was 5 years before that.

Metallicorp is a company. Companies are primarily about making a profit and these days albums don't make much money, whereas long-ass tours and annual festivals and 3D movies and pinball machines do.

I love Metallica. Regardless of what they do I'll support it. But for christs sake start the damn album!!

Fair enough!!..id love a new Album sooner rather than later but are Slayer not a band either as they have a huge line of band merchandise (even a chrismas jumper) and are run by a management company for profit? Somethings gotta pay for the mansions that the Slayer lads live in too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Fair enough!!..id love a new Album sooner rather than later but are Slayer not a band either as they have a huge line of band merchandise (even a chrismas jumper) and are run by a management company for profit? Somethings gotta pay for the mansions that the Slayer lads live in too

Not to mention there's no Jeff anymore and its just not the same without Lombardo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tom does NOT live in a mansion!!!

I'm sickened by that Christmas jumper. But by golly is it adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nah, just a multi-thousand acre ranch!!!!

Slayer were awesome in June when I saw them. Yeah, it was a pity to be without Dave and especially Jeff but Holt and Bostaph are good replacements. I think people forget how good a drummer Bostaph is! And yeah, Lombardo would be great in Metallica, it just isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

Saw Through the Never last night. The concert itself was great and the sound was incredible. The drums and bass were mixed so well. The plot was laughable though.

KH25 wrote: »
    Saw Through the Never last night. The concert itself was great and the sound was incredible. The drums and bass were mixed so well. The plot was laughable though.

So laughable that the entire audience broke into hysterical laughter when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

So laughable that the entire audience broke into hysterical laughter when I saw it.

Didn't happen last night but myself and my friend were just sitting there like WTF was that? Loved Orion at the end though.

scudzilla wrote: »

id say he lives in a bigger house than any of us and if he had sold as many records as Metallica he'd be living in just as big a house as them.

My point being is that all bands are essentially a business run by people looking to make as much profit as possible.Dont understand why Metallica get more stick than Slayer for example for bringing out a xmas jumper

I know everyone has this romantic idea of Metallica from 1984 all living together in some ****hole in the East Bay and getting drunk every night but people grow up and things change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

has anyone seen the film yet any use. was thinking of going see it tmrrw in cineworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Playing at Glastonbury 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Playing at Glastonbury 2014

Nope Lars says they want to. I think they'd be laughed off stage at that fest too.

Advertisement