Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Damage inc

Mushy wrote: »
    Nope Lars says they want to. I think they'd be laughed off stage at that fest too.

dont think they would be laughed off stage at all...Glastonbury is a hugely diverse festival and if the likes of Beyonce, fleetwood mac and prince can play there then why not Metallica.

Bonaroo in 2008 in the states was a huge success and that's a hippy festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Damage inc wrote: »
    dont think they would be laughed off stage at all...Glastonbury is a hugely diverse festival and if the likes of Beyonce, fleetwood mac and prince can play there then why not Metallica.

Bonaroo in 2008 in the states was a huge success and that's a hippy festival

It may not go that far, but can ya imagine the Metallica family thing, it'd go down like a lead balloon. I don't think their live performances are good enough which also wouldn't be appreciated.

That and I read Fleetwood Mac have never played Glasto, but maybe that was as a headliner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think Metallica will fit in well at Glastonbury. I was only there once (back in the 90's) but I went from watching some old codger with a didgeridoo to the Manic Street Preachers and then onto Underworld with Joe Strummer, Ash and the Cardigans in between. There is such a diversity of music there and everything fits. If Beyonce can play there, there's no reason Metallica can't.

Is there any foundation to this rumour by the way or is it like the 'AC/DC are playing Slane next year' that we hear annually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is there any foundation to this rumour by the way or is it like the 'AC/DC are playing Slane next year' that we hear annually?

Just Lars waffling on again about gigs/tours he'd like to do. He brought up the U2/Metallica/Green Day thing again too.

I think Metallica will fit in well at Glastonbury. I was only there once (back in the 90's) but I went from watching some old codger with a didgeridoo to the Manic Street Preachers and then onto Underworld with Joe Strummer, Ash and the Cardigans in between. There is such a diversity of music there and everything fits. If Beyonce can play there, there's no reason Metallica can't.

if AC/DC play slane would there be a chance that Metallica would play support. I know its not their thing to play support but they know they wouldnt sell out Slane as the biggest crowd they ever got in Ireland is 25-30,000 at the RDS/Marlay Park gigs

Would be some line up. Metallica to play a 75-80 min set and ac/dc to follow as headliners...throw in another 2-3 bands in the afternoon!!

• Advertisement

Ah but taking up a headliner spot is a different kettle of fish. Beyonce is an entertainer too, I don't think of her songs as being a draw, which may abe a bit different for Metallica.
    if AC/DC play slane would there be a chance that Metallica would play support. I know its not their thing to play support but they know they wouldnt sell out Slane as the biggest crowd they ever got in Ireland is 25-30,000 at the RDS/Marlay Park gigs

Would be some line up. Metallica to play a 75-80 min set and ac/dc to follow as headliners...throw in another 2-3 bands in the afternoon!!

A co-headline clash of the ego's....it'd be great. I don't think Metallica will ever support anyone nowadays, although it'd be insane to see.

It may not go that far, but can ya imagine the Metallica family thing, it'd go down like a lead balloon. I don't think their live performances are good enough which also wouldn't be appreciated.

That and I read Fleetwood Mac have never played Glasto, but maybe that was as a headliner.

the metallica family thing was dropped pretty quickly which is a good thing...probably the only time i have cringed in embarrassment at the 18 shows ive been to

Ive seen hundreds of bands at festivals and as live performers Metallica are up there with the very best of them and ive also dragged along plenty of family members/friends etc to the Metallica shows ive been to and everyone i brough thought they were an amazing live act

Metallica would kick ass at Glastonbury but getting tickets will be impossible as they have already sold out and one day tickets are not available!!

Ah but taking up a headliner spot is a different kettle of fish. Beyonce is an entertainer too, I don't think of her songs as being a draw, which may abe a bit different for Metallica.

A co-headline clash of the ego's....it'd be great. I don't think Metallica will ever support anyone nowadays, although it'd be insane to see.

they wouldnt make a habit of it but im sure for AC/DC they would make an exception. They opened for the Rolling Stones at two shows in San Francisco in Nov 2005. Played for 70 mins each night...my mate who lives in the Bay area went to one of the shows and said they got a great reception form the stones crowd

I don't think Metallica will ever support anyone nowadays, although it'd be insane to see.

They did support the Rolling Stones back in '05 which isn't too long ago in Metallica years.

In case anyone jumps into this thread and sees the words Metallica, AC/DC and Slane, we should state that THIS IS NOT HAPPENING...!!!

I only used AC/DC at Slane as an example of stupid rumours we constantly here that never come to fruition.

• Advertisement

the metallica family thing was dropped pretty quickly which is a good thing...probably the only time i have cringed in embarrassment at the 18 shows ive been to

Ive seen hundreds of bands at festivals and as live performers Metallica are up there with the very best of them and ive also dragged along plenty of family members/friends etc to the Metallica shows ive been to and everyone i brough thought they were an amazing live act

Metallica would kick ass at Glastonbury but getting tickets will be impossible as they have already sold out and one day tickets are not available!!

I heard it when leaving their set in Germany last year, could not believe what I was hearing.

They put on a spectacle alright, but too many mistakes ruin them for me. And awful setlist choices, but one would expect more of a hits thing if they were to do it. If they could work the film props into it, it may work. I just see them as being too niched (is that even a word) to get the slot, but it would be cool to see them do it.

Isn't Glastonbury about back to basics though? You just get up there and do your thing, no fancy gimmicks like explosions or fancy stages.

I heard it when leaving their set in Germany last year, could not believe what I was hearing.

They put on a spectacle alright, but too many mistakes ruin them for me. And awful setlist choices, but one would expect more of a hits thing if they were to do it. If they could work the film props into it, it may work. I just see them as being too niched (is that even a word) to get the slot, but it would be cool to see them do it.

i dont think bands get to bring much production to a festival like glastonbury..think it would just be the usual ramps behing Lars with the LED videos screens and a bit of pyro. I think they would have plenty songs in their back catalogue to play a 100 minute glastonbury headline set

To be honest when ive seen Metallica live i dont really pick up on mistakes and only hear them when pointe dout afterwards on youtube etc. Im not a musician so for me hitting every note 100% in a live performance isnt important to me

Isn't Glastonbury about back to basics though? You just get up there and do your thing, no fancy gimmicks like explosions or fancy stages.
    i dont think bands get to bring much production to a festival like glastonbury..think it would just be the usual ramps behing Lars with the LED videos screens and a bit of pyro. I think they would have plenty songs in their back catalogue to play a 100 minute glastonbury headline set

To be honest when ive seen Metallica live i dont really pick up on mistakes and only hear them when pointe dout afterwards on youtube etc. Im not a musician so for me hitting every note 100% in a live performance isnt important to me

Maybe Glasto is like that. Looking at past headliners though, none of them would have big gimmicks, bar Muse, and last time they only had the honeycomb backdrop lights. So I'd say those props would be out.

Not the most important, but they make a few too many that goes beyond professionalism.

Didn't Lars say the announcement would put them beyond "the final frontier"? I'm thinking first band to play in space!

I think they would have plenty songs in their back catalogue to play a 100 minute glastonbury headline set

Unfortunately as it won't be their hardcore fans in the audience and it's broadcast on TV, they'd play a very safe (and therefore boring) set that will almost certainly end with Nothing Else Matters followed by Enter Sandman. Then the encore will end with Seek and Destroy. Guaranteed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Nope Lars says they want to. I think they'd be laughed off stage at that fest too.

I dunno know lad, EVERYBODY knows Metallica and I think they would go down a storm

I dunno know lad, EVERYBODY knows Metallica and I think they would go down a storm

Maybe they would, hopefully they would too. I'll retract the comment about being laughed off, it is too harsh, but it would be interesting to see how it'd pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Maybe they would, hopefully they would too. I'll retract the comment about being laughed off, it is too harsh, but it would be interesting to see how it'd pan out.

They surely get top billing so there'd be plenty of promotion.

Would anyone here go over to Glastonbury? My bird is mad to head over :confused: Though this might lessen the anguish some bit if we head over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Honestly can't see Metallica playing support to anyone, no matter who they are.

They surely get top billing so there'd be plenty of promotion.

Would anyone here go over to Glastonbury? My bird is mad to head over :confused: Though this might lessen the anguish some bit if we head over.

Is it not sold out already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Glastonbury is a non argument.

It could be Metallica, Mott The Hoople or Mika headlining. It wouldn't make a difference, it will still sell out. Most people go to Glastonbury because of Glastonbury not because of the bands playing.

It's a culture festival not a music orientated one unfortunately.

Glastonbury is a non argument.

It could be Metallica, Mott The Hoople or Mika headlining. It wouldn't make a difference, it will still sell out. Most people go to Glastonbury because of Glastonbury not because of the bands playing.

It's a culture festival not a music orientated one unfortunately.

Glastonbury sells out every year before the lineup is even announced. I don't understand your use if the word 'unfortunately' there. It is what it is and has never pretended to be anything different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

My point is that it is marketed as a music festival with a big line up of bands, but in reality the music is down the list to the majority of goers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Yeah, it seems to me more people go to Glastonbury to "go to Glastonbury", rather than going with a desire to see any specific bands, hence why it sells out before any lineup is even released.

I'm not sure about metallica headlining it, they're in a strange place where they aren't dad rocker enough like Springsteen or Neil Young, nor are they hip enough like your Beyonce or Jay-Z. Plus, do we really need to see them play another safe greatest hits set that will have mass appeal?

They'd better not tell Peter Mench if they are playing there. As it is kind of a charitable festival, bands play for a fraction of their normal fees. He's not going to like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just back from the movie, thought it was excellent, to think some of the bad reviews on this thread nearly put me off going! Despite what people are saying here the movie parts were great, dehann looks a little like jedward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh I don't know. Lars might want to do it with one of his new favourite bands---U2.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/ulrich-im-a-u2-groupie/

Got a few chuckles from the article but especially this bit from Lars
    They’re one of the only other bands that are still functioning after 30 years, just like we are

Really Lars? Is it that hard to think of other bands who are still "functioning" after 30, 40, or even 50 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They'd better not tell Peter Mench if they are playing there. As it is kind of a charitable festival, bands play for a fraction of their normal fees. He's not going to like that!
    Our blue sky thinking suggests we could land and expand from Glastonbury and pick the low hanging fruit and push the envelope from an end user perspective and move forward into new territory. From a helicopter view, glastonbury conditions are favourable for future growth prospects and it's a win win situation allowing us to venture into new markets, whilst adding metallica to the music portfolio of the british public.
    Peter Mensch - NME 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Management jargon bastards!

I really hope this U2 tour doesn't happen. Why the hell can't they just make the damn album.

• Advertisement

So Metallica see playing Glastonbury into a mechanism for growing the brand? If I was Eavis I'd tell them to F&#k off and go play a gig on Wall Street or somewhere.

There are plenty of high profile band who would love to play Glastonbury because it's one of the most famous festivals in the world and apparently it's a great experience. Why not book them instead of a band that see it as a marketing tool?

Advertisement