Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Why the hell can't they just make the damn album.

Simple...albums cost money for a small return - no earnings while making the album while taking on all the costs of recording + marketing/distribution costs etc

All money is in touring costs are nowhere near as high and revenue generated can be massive (take a 30,000 attendance paying 50/60 each)

I'd say (and has been said before) the Beyond Magnetic disc points to what is very likely the future for Metallica, 4 track releases fairly often allowing them to tour as often as they can while drip feeding new songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Simple...albums cost money for a small return - no earnings while making the album while taking on all the costs of recording + marketing/distribution costs etc

All money is in touring costs are nowhere near as high and revenue generated can be massive (take a 30,000 attendance paying 50/60 each)

I'd say (and has been said before) the Beyond Magnetic disc points to what is very likely the future for Metallica, 4 track releases fairly often allowing them to tour as often as they can while drip feeding new songs.

Ahh no I don't think they'd just do 4 track releases. They will do full albums if anything. When? Who the **** knows. Whenever they extract the finger from their arses and lay it on a fretboard. I've been like a baby the past while "I want an new album. Weh :'( "

Also I doubt they'd spend too much money on the actual recording. They have HQ to record in. The engineers are already on the staff so no extra cost there. Marketing and distributing would be the only real cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lars is currently in talks wit the little prick about making an album with Metallica :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Damage inc

So Metallica see playing Glastonbury into a mechanism for growing the brand? If I was Eavis I'd tell them to F&#k off and go play a gig on Wall Street or somewhere.

There are plenty of high profile band who would love to play Glastonbury because it's one of the most famous festivals in the world and apparently it's a great experience. Why not book them instead of a band that see it as a marketing tool?

i think the band themselves would love to play there for the glastonbury experience. Lars is on record as saying this.

Just because some tool of a mangager spouts some marketing bollocks in an interview doesnt mean that the 4 guys in the band have the same view or that they all sat around thinking how they can get richer and amde a "lets play glastonbury decision"

That Mensh comes across in interviews as a bit if a tool and he is married to that former MP lousie Mensh...follow her on twitter and she is an awful right wing bitch!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Damage inc wrote: »

Just because some tool of a mangager spouts some marketing bollocks in an interview doesnt mean that the 4 guys in the band have the same view or that they all sat around thinking how they can get richer and amde a "lets play glastonbury decision"

Do you honestly think that if a band's management have a different agenda to the band itself, they'd still be employed? Maybe a young band finding their way who are a bit naive on the way the music industry works but not a successful band with over 30 years experience.

Lars especially has a strong vision of what he wants Metallica to be and there's no way he would stand for Mench spouting off crap that went against his own views and plans for the band.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Lars is currently in talks wit the little prick about making an album with Metallica :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, the teenage girl market is one that they haven't managed to crack yet and it's next on their business plan.

Do you honestly think that if a band's management have a different agenda to the band itself, they'd still be employed? Maybe a young band finding their way who are a bit naive on the way the music industry works but not a successful band with over 30 years experience.

Lars especially has a strong vision of what he wants Metallica to be and there's no way he would stand for Mench spouting off crap that went against his own views and plans for the band.

i dunno and i suppose none of us know but im not sure Peter Mensh doesnt need approval form the band about what he says every time he opens his mouth...

He did do an interesting Q&A a few weeks ago on Twitter and he was asked who were the easiest and most dofficult bands to deal with...he said Metallica were the easiest and most down to earth to deal with and that the Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan in particular were by far the most difficukt to deal with!!..when pushed for a reason why he wouldnt elaborate haha

Ive heard Corgan was a dickhead alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

Yeah, the teenage girl market is one that they haven't managed to crack yet and it's next on their business plan.
    if that happens music will implode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'd love to see Metallica team up with some cheesy pop artist just for shjts and giggles and to piss off some of their more serious fans. I've stopped taking the band seriously a while ago anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

276731.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Some news on the Death Magnetic follow up, with Metallica reportedly anticipating a 2015 release

http://loudwire.com/lars-ulrich-future-of-metallica-well-always-make-another-record/

lord lucan wrote: »
    Probably a gig in Antarctica it's the only continent they haven't played.

Well done LL, I think you had that 2 weeks ago. Are you really Lars?

not sure what the issue is here...they are playing a gig in antartica. Back in 95 they played a gig in Northwest terrotories of Canada close to the Artic circle where concert goers were flown in by some canadian beer company...replace beer company with soft drink company and its pretty much the same thing

Dont see what the big deal is

Damage inc wrote: »
    not sure what the issue is here...they are playing a gig in antartica. Back in 95 they played a gig in Northwest terrotories of Canada close to the Artic circle where concert goers were flown in by some canadian beer company...replace beer company with soft drink company and its pretty much the same thing

Dont see what the big deal is

The big deal is that they made a big deal out of it. Lars says "we've a big announcement coming on 8th October"... "a new frontier will be crossed by Metallica in December"..... If they've done this kind of thing before, why the big 'announcement'? Why the hype? 99.9999% of fans will not be able to have anything to do with this 'announcement' and they should have known that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i hear they're going to play trapped under ice.

i hear they're going to play trapped under ice.

Just like cold times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

More Lar's quotes on the Classic Rock site.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/metallica-bands-could-buy-our-leftover-riffs-we-have-more-than-we-can-handle/

Him waffling on about the band having too many riffs and the idea of selling those riffs to other bands. Not the first time I have heard musicians say something like this to be fair, but at least any other time I heard that suggestion in the past it was from guys who actually come up with riffs rather than from a mouthpiece.

Well if Metallica have too many riffs, maybe the could put said riffs to work for multiple follow up to whatever comes after Death Magnetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Well done LL, I think you had that 2 weeks ago. Are you really Lars?

****e,i've been rumbled!:pac:

Tbh they've mentioned before that they've covered most of the globe and there was only a handful of places left to play,Antartica being one. Fair play to them,it's not about how fans can get there or anything but about them doing what they want to do. It's their band,they can go where they please.

It was officially announced today btw. Not quite sure how playing via headphones instead of a traditional PA is going to work.

http://www.metallica.com/news/journey-to-the-bottom-of-the-earth.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

lord lucan wrote: »
    ****e,i've been rumbled!:pac:

Tbh they've mentioned before that they've covered most of the globe and there was only a handful of places left to play,Antartica being one. Fair play to them,it's not about how fans can get there or anything but about them doing what they want to do. It's their band,they can go where they please.

It was officially announced today btw. Not quite sure how playing via headphones instead of a traditional PA is going to work.

http://www.metallica.com/news/journey-to-the-bottom-of-the-earth.asp

Headphones on at a gig? :confused:

Noticed it is being filmed as well, so there is the next dvd/blu ray release.

Not many bands will be able to say they've played Antartica, but Metallica will and it'll be another notch in their long & storied history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

How much of Africa have they played?

Anywhere else apart from South Africa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

ozzy jr wrote: »
    How much of Africa have they played?

Anywhere else apart from South Africa?

According to here http://www.ipom.com/cgi-bin/tour_stats.pl#countries South Africa 5 times, no where else in Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

According to here http://www.ipom.com/cgi-bin/tour_stats.pl#countries South Africa 5 times, no where else in Africa. Not sure how reliable this site is though.

That site is always bang on for previous shows. I can't remember them playing anywhere outside of South Africa myself. There's not many countries on the African continent were they would have a big enough fanbase with the exception of north Africa,particularly Egypt.

I always reckoned they should have done a S&M show in front of the Pyramids,Call Of Ktulu as an opener would've been epic. Throw in Creeping Death and the Mercyful Fate Medley and you've got a savage gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I guess I can post this here seeing as he was involved with Metallica recently, Lou Reed dead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1160419/lou-reed-legendary-singer-dies-aged-71

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Zwillinge wrote: »

Blank page?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Blank page?

If only...:rolleyes:
    Metallica back Justin Bieber: 'If Liam Gallagher likes him, OK, there you go'

Metallica have admitted that they are fans of Justin Bieber after the pop star was filmed covering their song 'Fade To Black' at a recent concert.

Video footage of Bieber performing an impromptu acoustic cover of the song was revealed earlier this year. In the 15-second clip, Bieber is seeing playing air guitar while he tries to recreate the guitar solo from Metallica's 1984 original with his voice. Bieber is accompanied by his musical director Dan Kanter on guitar.

Asked by Kerrang! how they feel about having Bieber as a fan, James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich said they were happy with Hetfield stating: "Are we Beliebers? Yes."

Elaborating on the subject of Bieber, Ulrich adds: "Is it possible to have respect for him without being a Belieber? I think the kid's really talented and obviously to go through what he's going through at that early age must be a mind****. So the fact that he still goes out there and does it, I admire that and I think he's super talented, so I guess I am kind of a Belieber. If he likes 'One', and Liam Gallagher likes him, OK, there you go."

Bieber has previously revealed that he is a big fan of early Metallica, singling out 'Fade To Black' and 1988's 'One' as his favourite tracks. "Those are my jams," he told GQ last year (2012).

Earlier this month (October 15) Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich revealed that the band are keen to play Glastonbury, saying they are "ready to go" as and when organiser Michael Eavis needs them.

Advertisement