Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

so let's get this straight, Metallica have in no way been offered or booked to play glasto 2014...they are merely trolling Mr eavis in the hope that because it's on their bucket list after antartica and f**ing saturn ....they will be invited to play glasto.....

well i hope glasto simply ignores them ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

and f**ing saturn ....

Ha ha Saturn... I love it.:pac:

Check out this dude below playing master of puppets on the piano, it very good especially the guitar solo's on the piano. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Finally found some more footage of one of my fav ever Tallica gigs, found out a few days before they'd be playing the second stage on the Sunday Afternoon at Donington, we drove down, walked in 2hrs before they were due on, before people even knew, got more or less on the barrier, watched them then went home!!
    Funniest part was Evanescence playing on the main stage, most of the crowd left, they played to about 5/10,000, the tent only held about 5,000 but people were just listening from wherever

Here's the first 3 tracks

Blackened, No Remorse, Harvester

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

27 years ago today, Jason Newsted played his first show with Metallica
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/metallica-first-jason-newsted-show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Came across this video of Jason today, why is that man so cool!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Came across this video of Jason today, why is that man so cool!?

The guy is straight up one of Metal's most honest guys. It's all about the music and the fans who support it,not all the other showbiz BS that goes with it.

Metallica are back on the road next summer with a twist..... Fans of the band will get to pick 17 of the 18 songs on the setlist with Metallica picking a NEW SONG. Dates below

June 4, 2014 - Imtech Arena, Sonisphere - Hamburg, Germany, tickets on sale November 29 at 10:00 AM local time

June 5-8, 2014 - Rock Am Ring - Nürburgring, Germany, tickets on sale November 27 at 9:00 AM local time

June 6-9, 2014 - Rock Im Park - Nürnberg, Germany, tickets on sale November 27 at 9:00 AM local time

June 4, 2014 - Imtech Arena, Sonisphere - Hamburg, Germany, tickets on sale November 29 at 10:00 AM local time
    June 5-8, 2014 - Rock Am Ring - Nürburgring, Germany, tickets on sale November 27 at 9:00 AM local time

http://www.metallica.com/news/metallica-by-request.asp

Anyone else hoping they play an Irish show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

All festivals by the looks of things. It'd be nice to see them on their own, but if they're doing the festival circuit for the most I doubt we'll get them since we haven't the festivals that they'd suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

My money is on them playing Knebworth. Sonisphere is back this year, coincidence? I think not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If fans are voting the songs, an Irish show will probably end up with them playing Whiskey in the Jar 17 times and even then you'll still get some morons shouting for it before they play the new song.

• Advertisement

If fans are voting the songs, an Irish show will probably end up with them playing Whiskey in the Jar 17 times and even then you'll still get some morons shouting for it before they play the new song.
    OR
    Whiskey doesn't get a look in on the votes, and yet there is still "whiskey whiskey" chants on the day, which would confirm to Metallica that we are a bunch of tools!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

If they do announce an Irish date we have to vote for the least played songs of their catalogue. Wouldn't mind hearing Dyers Eve or Astronomy or Prince Charming or Metal Militia.

My votes would be Merciful Fate Medley, To Live is to Die and Frayed Ends Of Sanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

My votes would include Phantom Lord, Trapped Under Ice, Last Caress/Green Hell (in entirety), Ronnie, Dyers Eve and Eye of the Beholder. Don't think that's being too greedy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya all good shouts no doubt but my guess is clowns vote for One,Nothing else matters,Enter Sandman etc along with the ultimate go home song Seek & Destroy

if the vote is public, then every knobend in the country will be voting for the hits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭briany

I hope (in vain) that they get made to play something off Load or Reload. Could James sing something like Ain't My Bitch anymore? Or So What? Sweary songs don't seem to be his M.O. anymore which I can kind of understand, but if the fan base wills it, should their will be done?

My vote would go for Ronnie. That's such an underrated song. I know it's never going to light up an arena but I think that the band almost has a duty to play it live at least once in their career because it's only gotten timelier as the years have gone on, with things like Columbine, V-Tech, Aurora and Newtown going on. Would it be irresponsible for them to sing it? Does it glorify incidents like that? No, I don't think it does and if they can sing about things like war, insanity, drug addiction and the failings of religion, they can add one more societal ill to that list. So, Metallica, Ronnie it up, muddaf*ckas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

briany wrote: »
    I hope (in vain) that they get made to play something off Load or Reload. Could James sing something like Ain't My Bitch anymore? Or So What? Sweary songs don't seem to be his M.O. anymore which I can kind of understand, but if the fan base wills it, should their will be done?

My vote would go for Ronnie. That's such an underrated song. I know it's never going to light up an arena but I think that the band almost has a duty to play it live at least once in their career because it's only gotten timelier as the years have gone on, with things like Columbine, V-Tech, Aurora and Newtown going on. Would it be irresponsible for them to sing it? Does it glorify incidents like that? No, I don't think it does and if they can sing about things like war, insanity, drug addiction and the failings of religion, they can add one more societal ill to that list. So, Metallica, Ronnie it up, muddaf*ckas.
    +1 on that, i have to say the intro to that is perfect and its my favorite song on load after mama said

briany wrote: »

They pulled So What from the setlist some years back and rightly so,it had become slow and plodded along and lacked the enthusiasm and snarl that went with it through the 90's. Probably had more to do with Hetfield not wanting to use so much profanity in front of the bands kids but either way it had to go.

The Load stuff still sounds great on the rare occasion they play any of it. King Nothing,Bleeding Me and Wasting My Hate have all made an appearance in the last few years and still sound great. The Load material always sounded better live than on record imo. Faster and heavier than the recorded versions,Ain't My Bitch in particular was a standout track when they played the Point in '96.

Here's Wasting My Hate from 2 years ago at their 30th anniversary shows in San Fransisco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭briany

lord lucan wrote: »
    They pulled So What from the setlist some years back and rightly so,it had become slow and plodded along and lacked the enthusiasm and snarl that went with it through the 90's. Probably had more to do with Hetfield not wanting to use so much profanity in front of the bands kids but either way it had to go.

The Load stuff still sounds great on the rare occasion they play any of it. King Nothing,Bleeding Me and Wasting My Hate have all made an appearance in the last few years and still sound great. The Load material always sounded better live than on record imo. Faster and heavier than the recorded versions,Ain't My Bitch in particular was a standout track when they played the Point in '96.

If James pulled the song on a moral ground, that's a respectable decision, I just think it'd be interesting to see (and hear) how it would be handled if it came up again.

The Load stuff does sound good and that's kind of why it's frustrating that they don't do more of it. There's some songs in there that would probably fall a bit flat live like Low Man's Lyric, Mama Said and The Unforgiven 2 but there's others that would rock, like 2X4, Prince Charming, Fixxxer, Ain't my (expletive deleted), Bad Seed and Devil's Dance.

• Advertisement

This is the last time they played So What live,one of the anniversary shows in 2011 with Animal from The Anti Nowhere League on vocals. Still pretty good but they'd really stepped it up for them shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

+1 for The Frayed Ends of Sanity!

What would be the odds someone voted for some tracks from St. Anger

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    What would be the odds someone voted for some tracks from St. Anger
    Slim, although I wouldn't mind hearing the title track itself or Unnamed Feeling

Degag wrote: »
    Slim, although I wouldn't mind hearing the title track itself or Unnamed Feeling

I'd kill to hear the title track played live, with the arrangement changed around to include a guitar solo

I wouldn't mind hearing Sweet Amber....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So what would your nightmare set list be (no Lulu allowed)?

My 17 (in no particular order) would be:

1 wherever i may roam
    2 of wolf and man
    3 cure
    4 poor twisted me
    5 devil's dance
    6 better than you
    7 slither
    8 bad seed
    9 prince charming
    10 attitude
    11 my world
    12 all within my hands
    13 purify
    14 shoot me again
    15 dirty window
    16 king nothing
    17 the struggle within

So what would your nightmare set list be (no Lulu allowed)?

My 17 (in no particular order) would be:

1 wherever i may roam
    2 of wolf and man
    3 cure
    4 poor twisted me
    5 devils dance
    6 better than you
    7 slither
    8 bad seed
    9 prince charming
    10 attitude
    11my world
    12all within my hands
    13 purify
    14 shoot me again
    15 dirty window
    16 king nothing
    17 the struggle within

The rest of them i'd happily listen to any day.:)

My ideal 17 songs for Metallica's European run next Summer, which will fingers crossed include an Irish show
    1. Ecstasy Of Gold
    2. The Call Of Ktulu
    3. Jump In The Fire
    4. Ain't My Bitch
    5. No Leaf Clover
    6. I Disappear
    7. The Unforgiven I & II
    8. St. Anger w/guitar solo
    9. Mama Said
    10. Harvester Of Sorrow
    11. Whiskey In The Jar
    12. The 4 Horsemen
    13. Carpe Diem Baby
    14. Devil's Dance
    15. Hero Of The Day
    16. Master Of Puppets
    17. Creeping Death
    18. NEW SONG - Whatever that may be, time will tell

• Advertisement

I'll give this a go... Not going totally original cause while I know people are sick of Sandman etc, it's still a setlist staple so here goes.

1. Blackened
    2. Eye of the Beholder
    3. ...And Justice for All
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. Leper Messiah
    6. New Song
    7.The Frayed Ends of Sanity
    8. Master of Puppets
    9. St Anger
    10.To Live is To Die
    11.Dyers Eve
    12. Disposable Heroes