Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Looking at Knebworth, I am disappointed by what the masses are voting for as they seem to be voting for the classics they play almost every show. But considering I'll be bringing my girlfriend to her first ever Metallica show, it would be the perfect setlist for introducing her to the group. But as a hardcore fan, I want just obscure stuff I have never seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

briany wrote: »
    It is but you still need the hunger out there for certain underplayed songs off of Load to get it on the list.

It's not the type of song that's going to be played in an outdoor setting. It would be more suited to an indoor gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not the type of song that's going to be played in an outdoor setting. It would be more suited to an indoor gig.

It would be excellent for an indoor 'secret' gig, kind of like the one they done at the Astoria back in '08 around the release of Death Magnetic, or, indeed, the anniversary shows at the Fillmore. That's really where a lot of less played or non-played material would shine because they'd be playing to hardcore fans only (hopefully) and not a sizable percentage of casuals who were wondering why they weren't hearing Sandman or NEM or Seek and Destroy. However, because it would be a limited attendance, it would behoove them to stick such a show onto a proper DVD/Blu Ray release.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

1457539_559973410743536_1462022351_n.jpg

Metallica's Antartica set list
    Creeping Death,
    For Whom the Bell Tolls,
    Sad But True,
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium),
    Master of Puppets,
    One,
    Blackened,
    Nothing Else Matters,
    Enter Sandman,
    Seek & Destroy.

Sourced from RIP Magazine's Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Metallica's Antartica set list
    Creeping Death,
    For Whom the Bell Tolls,
    Sad But True,
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium),
    Master of Puppets,
    One,
    Blackened,
    Nothing Else Matters,
    Enter Sandman,
    Seek & Destroy.

Sourced from RIP Magazine's Facebook page

It doesn't look like how I expected Antarctica to look.

• Advertisement

It doesn't look like how I expected Antarctica to look.

They played inside a specially made dome

I'll scour Youtube, hopefully clips of the show will be up by now either fan shot or uploaded by someone within Metallica's crew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Bog standard stuff,they could've at least played Trapped Under Ice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I hope that was the cold that caused Kirk to play the solo so bad.

• Advertisement

Beat ya to it....and none of this mod trickery ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    Beat ya to it....and none of this mod trickery ;)

Like i would do something like that.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lithium93_ wrote: »

The glass of the dome makes the tops of those mountains look fuzzy. I briefly thought I was looking at the beginnings of a mighty ash cloud resulting from a volcanic eruption. Metallica, of course, were doing a classic metal pose photo op. to mark the moment instead of, you know, fleeing in terror from the pyroclastic flow that was about to engulf them all.
    lord lucan wrote: »

I hope that was the cold that caused Kirk to play the solo so bad.

Kirk's usually playing in front of a big audience in a big room with the natural reverb that provides but here he's just got a really dry and close miked sound. Very unforgiving. Yes, the cold can't have helped either but you'd probably find he's not playing a whole lot better if you were to strip away the ambiance of an arena gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

arcade fir/pixies on in marley sunday june 29th...wonder will there be anything exciting on the fri and sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

arcade fir/pixies on in marley sunday june 29th...wonder will there be anything exciting on the fri and sat?

Think Metallica are done with Europe for the summer......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Think Metallica are done with Europe for the summer......?
    Metallica would never turn down a decent offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got told by two seperate people in work today that Metallica were playing gigs in Dublin and Cork next summer. I rubished them by saying that 1) Metallica have announced their full tour already and 2) there is roughly 0% chance Metallica would play their only indoor show, in Europe, in summer, in a tent of 5k people in a non-capital city.

Funny if true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mushy wrote: »
    Got told by two seperate people in work today that Metallica were playing gigs in Dublin and Cork next summer. I rubished them by saying that 1) Metallica have announced their full tour already and 2) there is roughly 0% chance Metallica would play their only indoor show, in Europe, in summer, in a tent of 5k people in a non-capital city.

Funny if true though.

Ahh now they have played in Dublin before:pac:

Probably one of my fav Metallica moments, was watching live at home, only because Metallica were on.

They were due to play King Nothing and rehearsed that in the afternoon but after being constantly fcuked about by MTV people they decided to rebel :D:D

James pronounced every word crystal clear, to a live audience of millions

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Probably one of my fav Metallica moments, was watching live at home, only because Metallica were on.

They were due to play King Nothing and rehearsed that in the afternoon but after being constantly fcuked about by MTV people they decided to rebel :D:D

James pronounced every word crystal clear, to a live audience of millions

Was that Andrew Wk at the end in the crowd?

Songs I picked for Werchter setlist:

Ride the Lightning
    Fade to Black
    Battery
    Master of Puppets
    Blackened
    Hero of the Day
    Devil's Dance
    I Disappear
    Until It Sleeps
    The Four Horsemen
    No Leaf Clover
    King Nothing
    The Shortest Straw
    Whiplash
    Poor Twisted Me
    The Frayed Ends of Sanity
    The Unnamed Feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Creeping Death is very much underrated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Most of Kill em All is overated I think, waay to much credit given to it. ...And Justice for All is a good album if you can forget the production, to me it's their most complete work and some of the songs on it are underated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just rummaging through my Metallica collection and it got me wondering. What would you regard as a overrated or underrated metallica song. For me:
    Overrated- Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman
    Underrated- Dyers Eve, Turn the page, Unforgiven II, Fight fire with fire.

Turn The Page isn't a Metallica song, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Isnt the Metallica thread there to discuss ALL things Metallica to avoid threads like this?

To stay on topic tough The Outlaw Torn should be heard in its true form not the chopped down version that appears on load underated song nonetheless doubt I'll be hearing it live anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No Leaf Clover is fairly underrated, if ya ask me. Such a tune. As is Until It Sleeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Big fan of No Leaf Clover here, Seek and Destroy is overrated/played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Overrated Metallica songs....all of them?

Advertisement