Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

buck65 wrote: »
    Most of Kill em All is overated I think, waay to much credit given to it. ...And Justice for All is a good album if you can forget the production, to me it's their most complete work and some of the songs on it are underated.

I disagree, i don't think Kill Em All gets enough credit. I always hear people saying how Master of Puppets is their favorite/best album or Justice For All, but never Kill Em All. But I think it's great. It's raw, unpolished and it's a great trash metal album. It's what they wanted St Anger and Death Magnetic to sound like I think.

Always loved Four Horsemen, Phantom Lord and Whiplash myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I know that. It's still on one of their albums even though it is a cover.
    On an album that only contains covers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Escape is the song that is most underrated by Metallica band members. If they still consider it a 'sell out pop song', then wtf was the Black album by comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Escape wouldn't sound out of place on The Black Album

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Escape wouldn't sound out of place on The Black Album

It would be a vast improvement on quite a few of the tracks on that record. Overall that album has not aged well. I've never understood James' continued reticence toward that song. Especially when you consider the more radio friendly direction his song writing has gone since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It would be a vast improvement on quite a few of the tracks on that record. Overall that album has not aged well. I've never understood James' continued reticence toward that song. Especially when you consider the more radio friendly direction his song writing has gone since.

Could it be that way because Escape seemed more forced from a record label, whereas the Black Album was more a natural, mellowing out stage of his life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mushy wrote: »
    Could it be that way because Escape seemed more forced from a record label, whereas the Black Album was more a natural, mellowing out stage of his life?

I'd agree with this regarding Hetfield's obvious disgust towards Escape. Personally I find the Black Album dull, don't listen to it at all. Justice on the other hand still excites me.

Mushy wrote: »
    Could it be that way because Escape seemed more forced from a record label,

They were still on Megaforce - an independent label ran by metal fanatic John Zazula - at the time so it's unlikely. If anything Fade to Black with it's Scorpions influenced power ballad dynamics was considered far more commercial by people outside the band.

Lars admitted that they tried to court radio stations with Escape but then disavowed it when they realised it wasn't catching on. Which is a shame as I think it's a solid track that pisses over 99% of the stuff they've done since Justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Grayditch wrote: »
    No Leaf Clover is fairly underrated, if ya ask me. Such a tune. As is Until It Sleeps.

Load is a SERIOUSLY underrated album. Some fantastic songs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Load is a SERIOUSLY underrated album. Some fantastic songs on it.

i love The house that jack built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

2x4, house that jack built. until it sleeps, king nothing, bleeding me and outlaw torn are all great songs imo.

I'd still put AJFA as their best though. I just love everything about that album. Sure the bass is mixed out completely, but as a result it just sounds so tight and precise, which is how metal like that should sound IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

All the years i've been listening to Metallica and i never knew Escape was a issue of contention.

I'd still put AJFA as their best though. I just love everything about that album. Sure the bass is mixed out completely, but as a result it just sounds so tight and precise, which is how metal like that should sound IMO.

The funny thing is that no one made a big issue about the lack of bass on Justice at the time of its release, or for years afterward.

I first listened to it on cassette tape when it came out and thought it was the heaviest thing i'd ever heard. It wasn't until years later when I heard it on CD that I noticed the lack of any real bass. The advent of internet forums made it an even bigger deal and then the issue of the band's treatment of Jason came tumbling out.

Put the best 10 tracks from Load and Reload together and you have a GREAT album.

My 10 would be

The House Jack Built
    Until it Sleeps
    King Nothing
    Mama Said
    The Outlaw Torn
    Wasting my Hate
    Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Low Man's Lyric
    Unforgiven 2

Thats 6 from Load, 4 from ReLoad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Devils dance is underated i think

Put the best 10 tracks from Load and Reload together and you have a GREAT album.

My 10 would be

The House Jack Built
    Until it Sleeps
    King Nothing
    Mama Said
    The Outlaw Torn
    Wasting my Hate
    Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Low Man's Lyric
    Unforgiven 2

Here's something freaky, went back to Wales 4yrs ago for my ma's funeral, sat on the ferry and plugged my iPod in, 15,000 tracks, put it on random and the first one that came up was Mama Said, was pretty hard keepin it together at that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Their version of Carol Of The Bells with the Trans Siberian Orchestra is actually amazing.

I guess that's underrated, too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I know that. It's still on one of their albums even though it is a cover.

Just making the point that for a song to be a "Metallica song" as per the pre-merged thread title, I, and I think most other people, would only consider songs written by the band themselves as relevant.

Although I kinda like So What... :)

scudzilla wrote: »

My 10 would be

The House Jack Built
    Until it Sleeps
    King Nothing
    Mama Said
    The Outlaw Torn
    Wasting my Hate
    Fuel
    Memory Remains
    Low Man's Lyric
    Unforgiven 2

Here's something freaky, went back to Wales 4yrs ago for my ma's funeral, sat on the ferry and plugged my iPod in, 15,000 tracks, put it on random and the first one that came up was Mama Said, was pretty hard keepin it together at that point

Does the same to me. I lost my Mother a few years ago, and I get a bit chokey listening to that song. Love it - it's really underrated......AND the video is absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Does the same to me. I lost my Mother a few years ago, and I get a bit chokey listening to that song. Love it - it's really underrated......AND the video is absolutely hilarious.
    just listening to this last night and 20 years later i've only noticed the guitar tone for the heavy part!!! it's the same tone as the classic albums, must be the eet fuk or more beer explorer. I doubt amps and studio effects could recreate something so unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Load & Reload albums are very under rated, despite some thinking that Metallica strayed away during the late 90's, but Load & Reload are good albums

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Load & Reload albums are very under rated, despite some thinking that Metallica strayed away during the late 90's, but Load & Reload are good albums

Imo there is a LOT of filler on ReLoad.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah re-load is easily the worse of the two but load is pretty great. it's not even that unpopular an opinion anymore, youd almost run into more people who say it's under rated than people who say they hate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The entire Lulu album is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

ush wrote: »
    The entire Lulu album is overrated.

I'd love to know how its overrated...no one rates it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I'd love to know how its overrated...no one rates it!!

Well somebody saw fit to release it.

Advertisement