Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Imo there is a LOT of filler on ReLoad.....

Personally think that Load had more filler. 2x4, Poor Twisted Me, Waste My Hate, Thorn Within, Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Re-load was the first metallica album i got into and i was getting heavily into guitar at that stage i got the tabs and can play every note, the latter half of the album is better imo, prince charming, attitude, low mans lyric & fixxxer are great songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Re-load was the first metallica album i got into and i was getting heavily into guitar at that stage i got the tabs and can play every note, the latter half of the album is better imo, prince charming, attitude, low mans lyric & fixxxer are great songs.

same here, i remember putting the tape into my walkman as I walked towards the bus stop and nearly dropping it in shock when fuel came on. i'd never heard anything as heavy in my life.

good old atlantic 252 never prepared me right

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Load & Reload were the first Metallica albums i ever bought,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I first bought Garage Inc. coz it had Whiskey in the Jar on it :P

My logic was that it was an song me and my dad could both listen to in the car on journeys. Humble beginnings became an obsession

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jacksie66 wrote: »
    And Justice For All for me...

I love that album, some of lars best drumming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

St Anger was actually my first :P

I think that actually helped to open my mind to the various incarnations of Metallica. If I remember correctly, I bought the Black Album next (polar opposite) and then went on to either Justice or Puppets. Load and REload were two of the last that I picked up but I still love them both. Load is probably one of my favourite albums period. Outlaw Torn and Fixxxer are two of the best songs the band ever wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I thought the Black Album is one of their best albums, so many classic songs and the production is really nice, very much in the early 90s style. The reason it's their best album is that it's their most accessible and it's actually really good. I don't think they necessarily mellowed on it though, they just shifted focus, AJFA took their thrash sound as far as it could go, it was their most extreme album imo, totally uncompromising and p1ssed so anything that followed it would sound more chilled out in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

ush wrote: »
    Well somebody saw fit to release it.

In fairness, this makes no sense in relation to your point. Releasing it has nothing to do with how it's rated thereafter. Calling it overrated just sounds... kinda weird.

You've also called every Metallica song over rated by their nature of being Metallica songs, jaysus you must be having no craic in this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I first bought Garage Inc. coz it had Whiskey in the Jar on it :P

My logic was that it was an song me and my dad could both listen to in the car on journeys. Humble beginnings became an obsession

hope you didnt listen to the full album....So What must have been awkward! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

hope you didnt listen to the full album....So What must have been awkward! :p

Actually had no idea there was a second disc for ages :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Old school fan here. Had Kill Em All, AJFA and $5.98 on vinyl (still have in fact). Had the others on tape. Obv have Load and St Anger etc on CD.

Can't remember what the first one we bought was... possibly Kill Em All. I say we, as me and my brother bought them between us. This was the era when people in school would tape the album for you. About 87 - 88 I think. I can remember going into Sound Cellar to get AJFA, it was a big event. And yes, even then people were talking about the lack of bass.

$5.98 is the one I listen to the most probably. AJFA too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This was the era when people in school would tape the album for you.

Those were the days. :D

A mate of mine from school had been passing around cassette compilations of his Metallica albums in a desperate attempt to get his own little social group of metal heads going. I was probably the only one that took one off him. The first song on the tape was Damage Inc and it flattened me. Went straight out and bought each album as I could afford them.

And of course the hair got grown down to me arse along with the mandatory beat up denim jacket covered in patches.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Those were the days. :D

A mate of mine from school had been passing around cassette compilations of his Metallica albums in a desperate attempt to get his own little social group of metal heads going. I was probably the only one that took one off him. The first song on the tape was Damage Inc and it flattened me. Went straight out and bought each album as I could afford them.

And of course the hair got grown down to me arse along with the mandatory beat up denim jacket covered in patches.:cool:

They really were the days! I remember getting AJFA copied onto a tape from my cousin, complete with needle skips and everything from the record he copied it from, then the moments of sheer panic when the tape got swallowed and you'd have to wind it up. Then getting a plan of action "Right, so I'll get this album for my birthday, this one for christmas, I have 10 pounds, I'll get my mam to bring me into town next week to get this one", and then you'd listen to it exclusively for the next 3 months. Good times!

Speaking of AJFA, anyone heard this chris cornell cover of one? Its savage!

Grayditch wrote: »
    In fairness, this makes no sense in relation to your point.

Explaining my own point to me. Thanks!

Releasing it has nothing to do with how it's rated thereafter.

So we're limited to how its rated "thereafter". It sold more than one copy. It was overrated "thereafter".
    Calling it overrated just sounds... kinda weird.

Flippancy can often sound weird.
    You've also called every Metallica song over rated by their nature of being Metallica songs, jaysus you must be having no craic in this thread!

Besides, who defines whats overrated or underrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Very interesting interview here with Jason Newsted about the day he left Metallica.

The full interview is over an hour long but the whole split with Metallica thing is here:

http://youtu.be/GFiTkWPZ8xU?t=29m31s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Explaining my own point to me. Thanks!
    So we're limited to how its rated "thereafter". It sold more than one copy. It was overrated "thereafter".

Flippancy can often sound weird.

Overrated refers to having an opinion that someone/somethings worth has been exaggerated.

How much something sold does not relate to the opinion of the product.

Lulu is not overated it's universally slammed by critics and fans alike, if someone somehow has found true value they may deem it underated but overated you're havin a laugh.

You speak of Flippancy but yet you are the one entering a Metallica thread with nothing good to say.

the opinion of the product.

The opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The opinion.
    No idea what you're trying to achieve here?

No idea what you're trying to achieve here?

Just questioning the idea that there is an objective rating for each piece of art. Metallica have sold millions. They've got millions of fans. They're an industry. Maybe all their product is overrated? I guess its all just opinion.

Very interesting interview here with Jason Newsted about the day he left Metallica.

That's a great interview. Man, Jason, he's just so fucking cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's funny seeing all the love for Load & ReLoad. The uproar that greeted Loads arrival was every bit as vociferous as that which met TBA. Not only had the band moved further from their trash roots but they'd cut their hair,wore make up and had an album cover made up of blood & semen. Many who had held on after TBA gave up on the band,convinced they had finally lost their marbles.

I've always had a soft spot for Load. It's a cracking album and at the time cemented for me a fan of about 6 years at that point what was great about the band. They wanted to do what they felt like doing. It pissed off a lot of their older fanbase but they didn't care and it arguably made them an even bigger arena act then they already were. Great to see that a lot of people appreciate that era. Reload in particular has a lot of filler but still has some aces up its sleeve. Pity the band shy away from playing much of it live though,the Load material they played live on the Poor Touring Me Tour was fantastic but all we get these days are Fuel and Memory Remains.

Seriously? It's obviously subjective. That's what gets a discussion going with no right or wrong, only opinion. Points can be made in favour of why something is considered universally over or under rated. It might hold high review scores and be a clear fan favourite and someone might disagree and find others who agree.

On top of this, you're not even into Metallica, which is absolutely fine, but I do find it unusual that you're here.

I don't like olives, so I'm pretty sure a thread discussing the merits of black vs green would be something I'd probably just pass over without a second though.

But back on track, I have a soft spot for I Disappear, despite it's cheesy nature and the moans from a lot of fans of the earlier stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

But back on track, I have a soft spot for I Disappear, despite it's cheesy nature and the moans from a lot of fans of the earlier stuff :)

Absolutely love I Disappear, shame Metallica won't play it live

Seriously? It's obviously subjective.

Grand so. Lulu is overrated.

On top of this, you're not even into Metallica, which is absolutely fine, but I do find it unusual that you're here.

How do you know what I'm "into"? Can still think they're overrated even if I've seen them a dozen times.

But back on track

There's a "track"?

All Metallica discussion goes in here

• Advertisement

Ugh.

Sound.

Advertisement