Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Most of their fans nowadays only know the stuff from the Black album onwards.

I'd be very surprised at that. Sure black album is the perfect entry point, but I find it hard to think that any new metallica fan would go load / reload / st anger / DM as opposed to master / ajfa / kea / ride. I guess it'd all depends on what your into, but load and reload always struck me as albums you get into as you get older, whereas surely a teenager looking to get psyched up on old school metal / trash would go the route of the older albums.

I think the issue with these setlist are the majority of people going are more casual fan, seeing them for the first time. They haven't a pain in their are seeing nothing else matters and sandman every show. Buuuut I can see how I'm now actually contradicting my point. Ugh, I guess I'll have to go back complaining about kids these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To whoever said he wanted to see Metallica play Dyers Eve live a page back, would you really want them to play that, and i'm not criticizing but can Lars even play at the speed required to pull off Dyers?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    To whoever said he wanted to see Metallica play Dyers Eve live a page back, would you really want them to play that, and i'm not criticizing but can Lars even play at the speed required to pull off Dyers?

Didn't they play it a while ago but he didn't double kick drum it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Didn't they play it a while ago but he didn't double kick drum it?

They played it in Nimes in 2009 as far as i know, and Lars didn't double kick drum it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

It's a bit odd that he can't play as well or as fast as he used to. I know he's nearly 50 but so is Dave Lombardo and Vinnie Paul and Charlie Bendante and they can still play hella fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    It's a bit odd that he can't play as well or as fast as he used to. I know he's nearly 50 but so is Dave Lombardo and Vinnie Paul and Charlie Bendante and they can still play hella fast.

He's admitted that he doesn't practice as often anymore. Charlie and Dave obviously do. I would actually love to hear Charlie drumming for Metallica as a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

KH25 wrote: »
    He's admitted that he doesn't practice as often anymore. Charlie and Dave obviously do. I would actually love to hear Charlie drumming for Metallica as a once off.

I'm surprised he even practices at all. Between his schedule, sound checks and performances he probably plays just as much as he needs too. Might not even physically have the time in a day to practice fundamental drumming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anthrax used to cover a lot of Maiden and Metallica (mostly from Puppets) songs when Bush was with them, so you might be able to find some of them on youtube.

Pretty sure he guested with Metallica themselves for a song or two in the past just as Lombardo has.

He is a brilliant drummer though, and despite all his side projects (and age) his standards seem to not have dropped at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kess73 wrote: »
    Anthrax used to cover a lot of Maiden and Metallica (mostly from Puppets) songs when Bush was with them, so you might be able to find some of them on youtube.

Pretty sure he guested with Metallica themselves for a song or two in the past just as Lombardo has.

He is a brilliant drummer though, and despite all his side projects (and age) his standards seem to not have dropped at all.
    Wasn't bush nearly the singer on master of puppets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

John Bush doing The Four Horsemen. Awesome version.

Here you go

Wasn't bush nearly the singer on master of puppets?

Two of Armored Saint were looked at to join Metallica.

Bush on vocals and the excellent Joey Vera on Bass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

feylya wrote: »

John Bush doing Puppets. Awesome version.

Song is called the 4 horsemen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Song is called the 4 horsemen

Ha, I hadn't had enough coffee at that stage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

St. Jimmy wrote: »

Lars was never the most solid of drummers to begin with. Have many of you seen the 'A year and a half' documentary that shows them making the Black Album?

It took them the best part of ten months to record and from what I saw most of that time was spent trying to coax a decent drum take out of Lars.

I think its fair to say that ambition and a good head for business are what got Lars where he is today. Had he tried to get by on musical ability alone James would have left him behind a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    (It's sad but true) really, that most Metallica fans nowadays only know like you said Black album onwards

I see what you did there!;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jason is still my fav EVER member of Metallica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

scudzilla wrote: »

I take it this is to do with the REAL reason he left Metallica?

I couldn't believe that story when I first heard it, but fair play to him, he's actually held onto that for 14 years and only just let the cat out of the bag. I think it just makes James look like a complete asshole and he'll need to do some serious grovelling.

Even at the Anniversary shows it was obvious James just couldn't let the past lie...his body language said it all....

I couldn't believe that story when I first heard it, but fair play to him, he's actually held onto that for 14 years and only just let the cat out of the bag. I think it just makes James look like a complete asshole and he'll need to do some serious grovelling.

Even at the Anniversary shows it was obvious James just couldn't let the past lie...his body language said it all....

Nope, even before those revelations came out he was my fav, they lost a lot of heart and soul when he.....left :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

scudzilla wrote: »

What's up with that video, I can't see it? Any other link or anyone care to summarise?

What's up with that video, I can't see it? Any other link or anyone care to summarise?

fixed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

It was the same at the Rock and Roll hall of fame induction, they barely looked at each other, it was obvious. On the other hand Jason and Lars seemed to be good mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lars standing there in his jocks.... :rolleyes:

feylya wrote: »

John Bush doing The Four Horsemen. Awesome version.

John Bush was good there. Hope to see some new music with John Bush sometime..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

From the scuzz interview it sounds like jason would be the ideal producer for the next album.

seachto7 wrote: »
    John Bush was good there. Hope to see some new music with John Bush sometime..

Should be a new Armored Saint album late this year

Kess73 wrote: »
    Should be a new Armored Saint album late this year

La Raza wasn't bad at all.

I would take his stuff in Anthrax over Joey, much as it might annoy some to say. Joey sounds dated now.

One can only wonder what it would have been like with John Bush in Metallica.

seachto7 wrote: »
    La Raza wasn't bad at all.

I would take his stuff in Anthrax over Joey, much as it might annoy some to say. Joey sounds dated now.

One can only wonder what it would have been like with John Bush in Metallica.

Glad it never happened as I loved Armored Saint when I was a kid (still do), and then loved his time with Anthrax.

If he had joined Metallica then there would have been no Symbol Of Salvation, and no Sound Of White Noise.

• Advertisement

That is true....

Advertisement