Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

This is the aforementioned ad, Ulrich does come across as a bit creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

On the whole Napster thing. Admittedly, Lars is a bit of a tool a lot of the time but in this interview from back in the day I think he has the stronger argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

briany wrote: »
    I've only heard of that, not seen it. I always thought it was a sketch sending up his role as the voice of the music industry.

Edit : Here it says it was a skit.

At the start of that clip you can hear an audience sort of laughing - or cringing - and you can see an applause, so I'm assuming it was part of some awards ceremony like the MTV Music Awards 2000??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭briany

At the start of that clip you can hear an audience sort of laughing - or cringing - and you can see an applause, so I'm assuming it was part of some awards ceremony like the MTV Music Awards 2000??

It says the 2000 VMAs in the article I linked to. It seems fairly on the skit side of things because of the tone, but also there's no RIAA logo on it suggesting they endorsed the message. It was as much an ad for Napster as anything considering their logo is all over the video and Shawn Fanning even did a little bit of guest hosting the same year. It's really interesting how much acceptance Fanning was getting at the time even though he was essentially responsible for turning the music industry upside down.

If any of ye are really interested in that whole episode, 'Downloaded' is worth a watch. It's a docu covering the rise and fall of Napster directed by Alex Winter (him out of Bill & Ted). If you download it, you can keep it under your hat. The "I downloaded 'Downloaded'" jokes have been done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I love Metallica they will always be my favourite band. Its testament to them that they have lived on the success of 5 pretty amazing albums and are still the biggest metal band in the world despite not realising a decent album in almost 25 years.
    I like load, hated reload, rather forget St Anger but I liked DM not great but certainly a bit more to there roots.

There live performance are pretty boring these days though, Seattle 89 is metallica at the there absolute best, the speed and energy is unmatched, I regularly watch the dvd.

• Advertisement

If any of ye are really interested in that whole episode, 'Downloaded' is worth a watch. It's a docu covering the rise and fall of Napster directed by Alex Winter (him out of Bill & Ted). If you download it, you can keep it under your hat. The "I downloaded 'Downloaded'" jokes have been done. :)

I'll check that out now, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

James Hetfield, the man himself, sat down with us at Guitar Center in San Francisco. In the small room, he shared stories about becoming a musician, rising to fame, and even played a bit. All the while, customers continued to shop in the store, having no idea it was James playing.

Old baldy Kirk went for a play too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

seachto7 wrote: »

He's turned into creepy looking mo fo.

Love the youtube comment,"Lars is turning into Gollum":pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is james turning into mark kemode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

There better not be a "Rob" video around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There better not be a "Rob" video around the place.

Do people actually like Rob? I miss Jason and Rob' crab walk will never work, he just doesn't seem to fit in with the band to me.

rob316 wrote: »
    Do people actually like Rob? I miss Jason and Rob' crab walk will never work, he just doesn't seem to fit in with the band to me.

He's not part of metallica IMO, he's just filler material.

Strange goings on in the newstead camp

Imagine if he had input to death magnetic ? If hetfield had just let him take part

Hmmmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I seen earlier that his band were booted off the Aussie dates with Megadeth. The promoter said Mustaine made the call but he denies it and says it's nothing to with him and was down to the promoter.

Jason tweeted earlier saying there would be a statement about it soon. Can't see it being Mustaine,him and Jason get on well and have jammed old Metallica tunes on stage a few times.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I seen earlier that his band were booted off the Aussie dates with Megadeth. The promoter said Mustaine made the call but he denies it and says it's nothing to with him and was down to the promoter.

Jason tweeted earlier saying there would be a statement about it soon. Can't see it being Mustaine,him and Jason get on well and have jammed old Metallica tunes on stage a few times.

Yeah statement should be out soon

Yeah statement should be out soon

Interesting stuff, I'd be curious to see what happened here

rob316 wrote: »

Rob to me is just a session bass player, he's great and all but not in the same class as Cliff or Jason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Wow, I didn't realise there was so much hostility towards Rob. He's been in the band nearly for 11 years, that's a 3rd of their career. I think he's a great bassist. As far as input goes he isn't given a chance but saying that, they've only released one album with him. Maybe on this eventual new album he'll get his chance.

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't realise there was so much hostility towards Rob. He's been in the band nearly for 11 years, that's a 3rd of their career. I think he's a great bassist. As far as input goes he isn't given a chance but saying that, they've only released one album with him. Maybe on this eventual new album he'll get his chance.

No hostility towards the guy from me, i know i said i only regard him as a session player but he does a great job, and if you look at the others who auditioned he was by far the most appropriate fit, just not in the same league as his predecessors

St. Jimmy wrote: »

I'm don't have any hostility towards him. I just don't think he'll never be part of metallica. He joined them in their twilight years, there will never be another metallica album like AJFA or the black album, Jason was there during their peak, metallica are just going through the motions these days.

That's why I think Rob is filler material, they just need someone to play bass on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Metallica are going to be a part of the Ronnie James Dio tribute album that'll be released April 1st, 2014.

http://www.metallica.com/news/ronnie-james-dio-tribute-album.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

For my ten cents worth, I think Rob is a fantastic bass player.

I've been playing bass for nearly thirty years and he's one of the very few who excites me in the last ten years.

As Kirk said in the Monster film, he makes us play better and I agree. Never really rated Newsted as a great I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

My guess is that it'll be early/late 2015 when Metallica finally release a follow up to Death Magnetic
    "Unless there's what's called an 'Act of God,' I would hedge my bets that '201' would be the first three digits in the release year.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lars-ulrich-on-metallicas-next-album-were-one-day-closer-20140205

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

I think technically Rob is great, better than Jason in that regard. But **** me he needs to sort out his bass sound.

I think Rob's a bit wasted in Metallica, creatively speaking. I'd say there's more music and versatility in him than simply touring and recording the odd Met album can provide an outlet for and I don't think he's going to ever be able to feel the same sense of ownership and attachment to the back catalog that the other 3 can. That's just my own opinion, of course.

Even though I do prefer Jason, I find it weird that people can't accept Rob. It has been over a decade. This must be what it was like for people still talking about Cliff when Reload dropped. Preferences aside, he's paid his dues with the band as much as the other two had, or, well, as much as he could. He could only come to band as they were at that time. He wasn't going to school the boys on classical harmony like Cliff or be tricked into eating wasabi like Jason but he's been a 100 percent dedicated member of that band since day one of his tenure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think Rob's a bit wasted in Metallica, creatively speaking. I'd say there's more music and versatility in him than simply touring and recording the odd Met album can provide an outlet for and I don't think he's going to ever be able to feel the same sense of ownership and attachment to the back catalog that the other 3 can. That's just my own opinion, of course.

Even though I do prefer Jason, I find it weird that people can't accept Rob. It has been over a decade. This must be what it was like for people still talking about Cliff when Reload dropped. Preferences aside, he's paid his dues with the band as much as the other two had, or, well, as much as he could. He could only come to band as they were at that time. He wasn't going to school the boys on classical harmony like Cliff or be tricked into eating wasabi like Jason but he's been a 100 percent dedicated member of that band since day one of his tenure.

Pretty much agree with all of that. It's sad in a way that his legacy with Metallica will most likely be seen as that of a touring musician with feck all recording input. I think the next album will be their last,by the time it's recorded and released and toured to death the band will be in their mid to late fifties.

He's an excellent bass player but you always get the feeling he's holding back/being held back and just wants to let fly with some Infectious Grooves style riffs. He's a good fit for the band and has undoubtedly pushed their live performances from 2003 to 2011 up a notch and given them a new energy but his talent is wasted in Metallica. Sadly i think Rob will be a footnote in Metallica history,Cliff and Jason will always be seen as the iconic Metallica bass players.

It's scary that a whole generation of Metallica fans only know Rob on bass and that he has one album under his belt. I was lucky to see Metallica with Jason back in the day,his energy and commitment can never be questioned and his conduct towards them since he left is a lesson to many in the music business on how you deal with splits/disagreements/breakups.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »

He's an excellent bass player but you always get the feeling he's holding back/being held back and just wants to let fly with some Infectious Grooves style riffs. He's a good fit for the band and has undoubtedly pushed their live performances from 2003 to 2011 up a notch and given them a new energy but his talent is wasted in Metallica. Sadly i think Rob will be a footnote in Metallica history,Cliff and Jason will always be seen as the iconic Metallica bass players.

There's a couple of great Rob moments in that DM's 'making of...' docu. One where he picks up a nylon string guitar and lets rip with some flamenco style noodling, impressing both James and Kirk, and another where he's trying some backing vocals in a sound booth (which sound very good, but he sounds more like a soul singer than metal). Not that I'm saying Metallica should be recording that stuff but it really brought home the fact that he's underutilized. That's not to mention all the other stuff he's done pre-Metallica. Sadly for Rob, yes, he probably will be seen as the lesser bass player but he came to the band at a less prolific time which can't really be helped from his end. The other thing is that whatever albums Metallica do make from now until their end are looking likely to be incremental variations on the sound established on DM since Metallica seem set to ride out their career on a wave of 2-D thrash nostalgia whereas Cliff and Jason's tenures both saw relatively radical evolution of the band's music.

Advertisement