Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll reserve judgement until I can find a pro shot clip with better audio. Sounds promising though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Lyrics need work but damn good instrumental to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lyrics need work but damn good instrumental to it!

Say that face to face to Mr Hetfield lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Say that face to face to Mr Hetfield lol
    I think he said himself before starting It that the title and lyrics were work in progress. So he knows himself.

Not bad for a song thrown together in a short space of time. Not as if they had about 6 years to write some tunes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Sounds very promising remember the first draft of "Cyanide"? Not too far from finished product but still a few changes! Any word on an Irish date? Missed them in Belfast last time! Never seen them indoors either, would love that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Metal Hammer's Dom Lawson has waded in with his opinion of the NEW SONG

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/the-lords-of-summer-our-guide-to-the-new-metallica-song/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

What I'm probably impressed with about Lords the most was the solo. It appears to me that compared to yonks ago, Kirk just doesn't put in the effort anymore and would rather **** aimlessly around the fret board with a wah-wah pedal (granted, I don't think the pedal is ever going away) than come up with a thoughtful melodic solo, the solo of Lords definitely sounded like a step in a better direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Metal Hammer's Dom Lawson has waded in with his opinion of the NEW SONG

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/the-lords-of-summer-our-guide-to-the-new-metallica-song/

Sounds like something Kerrang would write

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

promising.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'm hearing shades of sepultura and paradise lost in there....especially the intro sounds a little like the old sepultura live intro. Could do with some editing.

• Advertisement

The intro to the The Lords Of Summer has an And Justice For All feel to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The intro to the The Lords Of Summer has an And Justice For All feel to it

Sounds more like "Hit the Lights" to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Slightly better audio,it'll have to do until the LiveMet/Soundboard audio surfaces.

Have to say,i'm liking it. It's a bit disjointed in places,very similar to when Cyanide was premiered and it'll probably sound a little different after a few performances but the direction they're taking is to my liking. Slash a minute off that song and tighten it up and they're onto a winner. No matter what people expect they're never going to replicate their early output,all they can do is hopefully put together a collection of banging tunes and this is a good start imo.

Fair play to Lars,it's only a one off performance but he done more in that whole 8 minutes than he did on the entire DM album!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Loving The Lords Of Summer, have blared the bootleg footage all day. Looking forward to when the whole show is uploaded since they record the shows, Ill download it. Worthy of the new album, wouldn't want them doing anything to it.

Even Trujillo's backing vocals are brilliant too, he's no Newsted though when it comes to backing vocals.

Delighted to see they can throw out a good track for a band that's been around 32 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

New song 'uckin rocks!
    \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

they have just released the garage demo of "Lords of Summer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

demo sounds pretty sh*t

Live version in Bogota sounded a little better, wouldn't pan it at all, they'll probably do it like 100 times more for the perfect take.

Guessing between May-September next year release date for the album, leaning towards September. They'll play in Europe next summer before the album is out then do the states as soon as the album is out, like what they did around 08 for Death Magnetic.

Also I think Hetfield needs more gain, love that fuzzyness he had on the old albums and live performances like Seattle 89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Thought I was listening to kill em all/ justice for a moment, all they need to do is add the thickener.

Good song, if it's released like the demo I'll be píssed off. It could be really fat and big like puppets or justice, just listen to battery on the demo 1985, same stuff. I hope they don't mess this one up.

I don't know who said, but chop a minute of the song, and Metallica are on to a winner and a potential first single

• Advertisement

Just looking at the YouTube videos of the new song, there's a bunch of Lars haters all over the place, personally I've observed the hatred towards his drumming on many forums..... BUT I can't think why!? His drumming is fine to me. Fight fire with fire, justice....., shortest straw, puppets, disposable heros, to name a few. What's the story?

Just looking at the YouTube videos of the new song, there's a bunch of Lars haters all over the place, personally I've observed the hatred towards his drumming on many forums..... BUT I can't think why!? His drumming is fine to me. Fight fire with fire, justice....., shortest straw, puppets, disposable heros, to name a few. What's the story?
    Yeah the question people need to ask themselves is if they had lars's cash would they practice? Takes a lot of dedication to be renowned drummer i'd say lars is happy enough! In fairness to him and lombardo they did inspire a generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

He's a little stock.

D.Q wrote: »
    He's a little stock.

" I told you it's a little stock to my ears"

People have been complaining about a decline within Lars's drumming since around 1994 when the Black Album tour finished. Lars picked up a shoulder injury in 1993 after them touring pretty much constantly between 91-93. In 94 he reduced his kit from a 9 piece to a 7 piece to simplify his technique, since then people have been complaining of sloppy drumming as time went on.

When they came back with a bang with St Anger I thought Lars sounded great during a lot of the shows they did in 2003. His shoulder played up again I think it was around end of 2003 or beginning of 04 and they planned to do some shows in South America and they called it off until Lars recovered. He can pull off some good beats most of the time and keeps up well but the man is 50 years old now, you can't expect him to drum quite like he did 20+ years ago.

I do love the drumming on the new track, he has a few surprises up his sleeve. He's not a crap drummer, he's his own drummer and has his own style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Lars gets a lot of undeserved criticism - but he deserves criticism all the same.

Back in the 80's he was probably Lombardo's equal but since then, Lombardo has become a master of his craft while Lars simply has not.

More often than not, Lars' live performances are not as good as his studio performances - take that for what you will - I honestly think that laziness and fatigue have a lot of bearing on this. Check out his performance at the MTV Music Awards c. 1999 when they play Fade to Black - he kills the double bass section. He can hardly be arsed to play the DB section in One correctly these days.

Lars would probably be considered an exceptional Hard Rock drummer - if that was his genre - but an average metal drummer - if he put his mind to it though, he could change some people's perceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Lords of Summer sounds stock like most of DM (which was ok, but still stockish in terms of riffs and structure). Why not try something new instead of releasing another AJFA? They also seem enamoured with that garage band sound which is pretty limited imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    People have been complaining about a decline within Lars's drumming since around 1994 when the Black Album tour finished. Lars picked up a shoulder injury in 1993 after them touring pretty much constantly between 91-93. In 94 he reduced his kit from a 9 piece to a 7 piece to simplify his technique, since then people have been complaining of sloppy drumming as time went on.

When they came back with a bang with St Anger I thought Lars sounded great during a lot of the shows they did in 2003. His shoulder played up again I think it was around end of 2003 or beginning of 04 and they planned to do some shows in South America and they called it off until Lars recovered. He can pull off some good beats most of the time and keeps up well but the man is 50 years old now, you can't expect him to drum quite like he did 20+ years ago.

I do love the drumming on the new track, he has a few surprises up his sleeve. He's not a crap drummer, he's his own drummer and has his own style.

Now that's a bit silly, there's far greater technical harder hitting drummers out there who are older. Those players are constantly learning and improving, that's what any good musician does.

Ulrich needs to get a teacher and start from scratch. Peart did it with Gruber, that man is 60ish. And he's playing better than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Now that's a bit silly, there's far greater technical harder hitting drummers out there who are older. Those players are constantly learning and improving, that's what any good musician does.

Ulrich needs to get a teacher and start from scratch. Peart did it with Gruber, that man is 60ish. And he's playing better than ever.

This. Nail on the head stuff. Or even if you want a similar genre, look at nicko mcbrain. Many drummers older than him can still play like the old days, Lars just doesnt bother!

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Ulrich needs to do f* all!!

Advertisement