Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Mushy wrote: »
    This. Nail on the head stuff. Or even if you want a similar genre, look at nicko mcbrain. Many drummers older than him can still play like the old days, Lars just doesnt bother!

Chaps got a hammer of a right foot on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Lords of Summer sounds stock like most of DM (which was ok, but still stockish in terms of riffs and structure). Why not try something new instead of releasing another AJFA? They also seem enamoured with that garage band sound which is pretty limited imo.

They seemed to be trying to do that with Load and Re-load and got called sell-outs / over the hill / finished by all the old fans. Sure why would you want an artistic artist when you can just have them rehash the same album every 5 years? :rolleyes:

It really bothers me. If you look at all their albums, there has been some growth in sound from each one, then when they finished Re-Load they bottled it and played it safer for St. Anger and safer still for Death Magnetic. I love DM, but would rather that they took a chance and made an ambitious album (besides Lulu!), rather than trying to please all the people all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

I love Load and Reload because I think they were a natural progression for the band. Their best albums are still the early ones of course but that doesn't mean Load and Reload are bad albums. IMO Load is an excellent hard rock album. I would love to hear a few new songs in that vein these days.

I'm in work so can't listen right now, but some of you might appreciate this official footage:

Gave it a go there. Not bad, by any means. Pretty standard in terms of their recent output. Sounds a bit more thrashy than DM. Good tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

I actually think its quite good. Some decent production would make this an absolute cracker, however, on songs like this you miss the influence that Burton's musicality would bring to it. If they are heading in this direction, I would love to see Flemming Rasmussen brought back in, who in fairness, brought out the best in Ulrich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Actually listening to it again live it's not too bad. Jame's vocals have improved a lot. You're right about them not taking any risks after Reload, although I thought St Anger was fairly risky with the detuned guitars, no guitar solos and detuned drums (which only I like). It had a bottom of the barrel sound which reflected where they were at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

montec wrote: »
    I would love to see Flemming Rasmussen brought back in, who in fairness, brought out the best in Ulrich.

Totally agree there, I don't think Rick Rubin hung around too long and let the band have too much of an input producing, probably why Death Magnetic was compressed and distorted. They should hire Flemming Rasmussen and fly him over if they have to, he did a brilliant job with Evile's dubut album.

Metallica will probably never go to Denmark again to record since they all have families and small children now, if they offered Rasmussen enough money he could jump at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

ush wrote: »
    Skullet. The full Terry Nutkins.

Even Terry with his missing digit is a better drummer these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Totally agree there, I don't think Rick Rubin hung around too long and let the band have too much of an input producing, probably why Death Magnetic was compressed and distorted. They should hire Flemming Rasmussen and fly him over if they have to, he did a brilliant job with Evile's dubut album.

Metallica will probably never go to Denmark again to record since they all have families and small children now, if they offered Rasmussen enough money he could jump at it.
    Flemming was an engineer. He didn't produce them in the way Rubin and rock did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone who thinks age plays a factor when it comes to drumming haven't ever seen Buddy Rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Death angel - Trapped under ice with Kirk Hammett, the drummer Will Carroll is giving it feckin socks, never saw Lars play like this...very good indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

age is a factor when you haven't practiced since 1990

Death angel - Trapped under ice with Kirk Hammett, the drummer Will Carroll is giving it feckin socks, never saw Lars play like this...very good indeed

That sounds killer. Refreshing to see a bass player play bass, instead of warbling around like a crustacean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Notice Sick Drummer Magazine do the sponsorship for this video. I used to write for these guys actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I wonder if Lars actually realises that most fans think he's crap and needs to practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    I wonder if Lars actually realises that most fans think he's crap and needs to practice

I think he does. There's a video online(on my phone ATM) of the intro video to the "by request" shows were they're reading out stuff that would appear to have been pulled from message boards and James reads out "Lars should practice more" or words to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Well I tell ya, after seeing Will Carroll drumming trapped under ice, my views have changed a bit.

This is an official yoke from them, from the Bogota show, and damn, during Justice in the tuning room ya can hear just how bad Hets voice is shot :(:(

This is an official yoke from them, from the Bogota show, and damn, during Justice in the tuning room ya can hear just how bad Hets voice is shot :(:(

The live performance was really solid, intense song to kick the show off, interesting view from the bands perspective. A sea of cameras.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The live performance was really solid, intense song to kick the show off, interesting view from the bands perspective. A sea of cameras.

Was thinking that myself, what would that feel like, to be standing behind the backline, just hearing cheers, then walking out to that 3 nights a week. I guess that is why they do what they do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Metallica's setlist from the Sao Paulo show, March 22nd

Battery
    Master of Puppets
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Fuel
    The Unforgiven
    Lords of Summer
    Wherever I May Roam
    Sad But True
    Fade to Black
    ...And Justice for All
    One,
    For Whom the Bell Tolls,
    Creeping Death,
    Nothing Else Matters,
    Enter Sandman,
    *Whiskey in the Jar*
    The Day That Never Comes
    Seek & Destroy

*Played for the first time since 2009*

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Metallica's setlist from the Sao Paulo show, March 22nd

Battery,
    Master of Puppets,
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium),
    Fuel,
    The Unforgiven,
    Lords of Summer,
    Wherever I May Roam,
    Sad But True,
    Fade to Black,
    ...And Justice for All,
    One,
    For Whom the Bell Tolls,
    Creeping Death,
    Nothing Else Matters,
    Enter Sandman,
    *Whiskey in the Jar*,
    The Day That Never Comes,
    Seek & Destroy

*Played for the first time since 2009*

Meh

"Let the fans vote on what songs they wanna hear" they said

"We'll get some really different set-lists, songs not heard for some time" they said

And it's the same stock set list as they've played for years :rolleyes:

Meh

"Let the fans vote on what songs they wanna hear" they said

"We'll get some really different set-lists, songs not heard for some time" they said

And it's the same stock set list as they've played for years :rolleyes:

There setlist from the March 20th show threw up some gems, and Sad But True & Nothing Else Matters were left out

Metallica Lima, Peru Setlist

Battery
    Master of Puppets
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Disposable Heroes
    The Unforgiven
    Lords of Summer
    ...And Justice for All
    The Four Horsemen
    Whiplash
    Orion
    One
    Ride the Lightning
    Fight Fire With Fire
    Fade to Black
    Enter Sandman
    Creeping Death
    Hit the Lights
    Seek & Destroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Anyone see the campaign to get Fixxxer played in Canada for charity? Not going very well when I last checked....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-talk-effortless-dio-tribute-hear-it-here-first-20140324

The above link has the full version of Ronnie Rising from the Ronnie James Dio tribute album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

That Ronnie Rising medley is fantastic. Love Hetfields voice on it!

That Ronnie Rising medley = *MIND BLOWN* it's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Ronnie Rising Medley, awesome

All round awesome, Hetfield sounds brilliant, Kirk sounds bitchin, and dare I say it but Lars sounds a lot better. He can drum covers better than his own songs lately, and Rob I can only really hear him when I plug in earphones, great blend of tunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Great Ritchie Blackmore tribute!

• Advertisement

That's a fantastic medley! Dio is the fucking king! The band are all on top form.

Advertisement