Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Garage Inc II would be a great follow up to the next album if they can belt out covers like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Twould indeed. Another covers album would be good. Still waiting for James cover album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Garage Inc II would be a great follow up to the next album if they can belt out covers like that.

As long as they skip any more Diamond Head songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

A Garage Inc II album is a cracking idea. Maybe a cover of another Lizzy song. Cold Sweat would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I'd personally like to see them include some of the covers they did at Bridge School Benefits. The cover of Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" was fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can we get them to focus on releasing an album of their own songs first before ideas of doing another covers album are put into their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Can we get them to focus on releasing an album of their own songs first before ideas of doing another covers album are put into their heads?

People seem to react better to their covers than originals. I loved Lords Of Summer but the majority of the fandom are much more blown away by their Ronnie cover. I can see why but it just seems that most fans would prefer covers than originals these days as the concencus is generally that any new material is terrible compared to the stuff they did in the 80s. Only way to stop the haters it seems is to play it safe with covers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Then they're in danger of becoming a cabaret act.

On the subject of another Lizzy cover, I think Black Rose would be awesome!? The twin guitar stuff would suit Metallica down to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Then they're in danger of becoming a cabaret act.

Finishing every set with Seek and Destroy already does that for me. I mean I love the tune, just wish they'd change it up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Metallica should focus more on studio album #10 for the time being, then a year or two afterwards release a Garage Inc part II

• Advertisement

On Garage Inc II I would like to hear more Thin Lizzy for sure like Cold ,Emerald or Waiting for an Alibi or something. Some Judas Priest their cover of rapid fire wasn't bad. A little Black Sabbath maybe Into the Void. I'd love to hear some Rush covers too, Cliff was a huge Rush fan so something by them would be cool.

Maybe a few bands that came during their time also just to mix it up a bit, imagine Metallica doing a Megadeth cover or a Pantera cover or something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

A Garage Inc II album is a cracking idea. Maybe a cover of another Lizzy song. Cold Sweat would be amazing.

Can't see them topping this version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Can't see them topping this version

Chuck Billy and Steve Souza for me:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That's a good version too. it probably wouldn't feature on this hypothetical covers album if it's already been covered by a couple of big names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The fact that they've already done Whiskey might mean they'd leave any Lizzy covers off this hypothetical album, though I'd think they'd do well with something like China Town if they did, which is a savage tune. Was never really a fan of Cold Sweat myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Metallica's cover of Whiskey was absolutely fúcking horrendous.

Metallica's cover of Whiskey was absolutely fúcking horrendous.

Definitely. Maybe it's a national pride thing, but I've been people on other forums say the Metallica version it's leaps ahead of the Lizzy. This makes me sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Definitely. Maybe it's a national pride thing, but I've been people on other forums say the Metallica version it's leaps ahead of the Lizzy. This makes me sad.

Yeah, but the people who think that probably also think Fred Durst is a genius for writing 'Behind Blue Eyes' :rolleyes:

scudzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, but the people who think that probably also think Fred Durst is a genius for writing 'Behind Blue Eyes' :rolleyes:

No better way to release a song that bares your innermost personal insecurities than to copy someone else's! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lol. It ain't anywhere NEAR Lizzy's version, but it's far from horrendous. Seriously though, can ye not picture Hetfield & Hammett having a f@&€ing ball tearing through Black Rose???

The twin guitar parts would sound awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

look up the master of puppets gig in the RDS....the mayhem during whiskey is one of the greatest things ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I remember seeing them in 2003 and everyone shouting 'Whiskey Whiskey Whiskey' after literally every single song. At one point James said something like "little too early for me" and someone in the crowd next to me said something like "he's a recovering alcoholic isn't he? He probably thinks we're trying to get him to knock a few back!"

I think 2003 was the year they didn't play it...then when they came back in 2004 they made up for it....

I remember the Darkness covering Lizzy in 2003 opening for Metallica because they said it was Phil Lynott's birthday that day....but I can't remember what they covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Ahh i remember that "whiskey whiskey whiskey"

In '03 i think he said that they hadn't rehearsed it so he "didn't want to fukk it up".But would play it the next time they came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

I hope the well reasoned metallica concert goers can answer this.

What are the chances of them playing here again?

Was hoping they would be back this summer, doesn't look like it's going to happen. (I blame Garth Brooks) they did recently add an extra date to Europe this summer, a date in Turkey. They are playing in the UK at Sonisphere in July, you'd think they'd stop off here while they were at it. Our promoters are asleep as usual, they haven't played in Dublin since 2009. If there is no date by the end of April, I doubt there will be one at all.

If there is no date this year, there will be one next summer when the new album is closer.

I'd say you'd be looking at next Summer (when the new album is being readied for release) when & hopefully Metallica play here again..

From Ross Halfin's Facebook page,

Unseen Metallica photo from Donington 1985, apparently he has loads more of unseen Metallica photos

10015031_478858312214805_1954620411_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    From Ross Halfin's Facebook page,

Unseen Metallica photo from Donington 1985, apparently he has loads more of unseen Metallica photos

10015031_478858312214805_1954620411_n.jpg

This photograph would make you think wouldn't it? The amount of bands I've seen, young guys playing gigs who end up forgotten, James with his old trainers and probably struggling to make ends meet (other than beer money)...and yet these guys ended up becomming one of the worlds most recongizable bands and in turn some of the richest musicians in history

Makes you think doesn't it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Look at the holes in that thing!!!

300693.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yep, all the poorest musicians play Gibsons.

Advertisement