Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just looking at that 1985 photo of Metallica @ Donington made me think, they were 4 teenagers with a dream........ 32 years later said dream has come through, despite a few rocky patches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just looking at that 1985 photo of Metallica @ Donington made me think, they were 4 teenagers with a dream........ 32 years later said dream has come through, despite a few rocky patches.
    Well, came true for 3 of them anyway...

Well, came true for 3 of them anyway...

That's what i meant by ''despite a few rocky patches''.

sugarman wrote: »
    Just had a listen of Lords of Summer, not too shabby. Tho it sounds like something left over that didnt make the cut of Death Magnetic, possibly reworked.

Doubt it will make the album anyways, prob similar to the 2 new songs they toured prior to the last album. One of which also sounded like a st anger rework.

When are we expecting to see a new album? Another year?

I'm guessing the new Metallica album will be released towards the tailend of 2014..... Or sometime early 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I'm guessing the new Metallica album will be released towards the tailend of 2014..... Or sometime early 2015

And that's being optimistic I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭bockeys jollocks

Just saw through the never, I thought it was a good movie, they sounded fantastic. Robert Trujillo really kicked ass with Orion at the end. I liked the way he used Cliffs signature bass for the song.

As Kirk would say " it hasn't been played that way since Cliff!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I think it came through in 1983 when they released their first album.

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    And that's being optimistic I reckon.

Nope!, it's being realistic...... Though if Metallica release studio album #10 before year's end i'll be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As Kirk would say " it hasn't been played that way since Cliff!"

Don't believe Jason ever attempted to play it during his time in the band, or wasn't allowed (who know's) while I'll also doubt that neither Rodrigo Y Gabriella nor any other artist who covered the song lived up to the performance paved by its creator....essentially that comment from Kirk just diminishes his band mates actual performance

• Advertisement

Don't believe Jason ever attempted to play it during his time in the band, or wasn't allowed (who know's) while I'll also doubt that neither Rodrigo Y Gabriella nor any other artist who covered the song lived up to the performance paved by its creator....essentially that comment from Kirk just diminishes his band mates actual performance

I don't know weather you've seen the movie or not, but I think Trujillo nailed it.

I don't know weather you've seen the movie or not, but I think Trujillo nailed it.

Oh I've seen it, and he did, I just think Kirk's comment was ill advised IMO - or at best a band choice of words

Could be looking at sometime during 2015 before Metallica release Death Magnetic's follow up, according to Lars Ulrich
    The last, I don't know, six months, we finished our movie, we went to the Antarctic, we played the Grammys again, which was nice. We've started writing songs and preparing for the next record, so that's very exciting. We're down here among all of you beautiful people and playing the 'By Request' setlist and going to new places. We were in Quito two days ago, where we'd never been before. We're playing a new song The Lords Of Summer on stage, which people seem to be very receptive to. We're writing away. We've got some good ideas. Our biggest problem is not the ideas, our biggest problem is time. Metallica is busier than ever, and it just seems like there's more and more going on and the days get shorter and shorter. But, hopefully, we will be done writing this year and next year we should record and hopefully have a new record out maybe next year. We'll see. Hopefully next year.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/metallica-isnt-even-planning-on-hitting-the-studio-until-2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

With all their talk of the album hopefully coming out next year and that it could be the year after, any chance they're trying to put us off the scent and are actually going to do a 'Beyonce' and spring a surprise release on us later this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

With all their talk of the album hopefully coming out next year and that it could be the year after, any chance they're trying to put us off the scent and are actually going to do a 'Beyonce' and spring a surprise release on us later this year?

No.

No.

Agreed, there's no holes in their runners anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lombardo on Lars, starts at 2.23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Lombardo on Lars, starts at 2.23.
    Diplomatic dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Just to pinpoint Lars's abilities more accurately I thought it might be useful to pit him against hard rock/rock drummers rather than just uber technical metal drummers.

Lars Vs John Bonham?
    Lars Vs Keith Moon?
    Lars Vs Roger Taylor?
    Lars Vs Nick Mason?
    Lars Vs David Grohl?
    Lars Vs Bill Ward?
    Lars Vs Ian Paice?
    Lars Vs Sean Kinney?
    Lars Vs Ringo Starr (I see a lot of similarities between these two, both use loose timing and a lot of unnecessary fills).

The reason I ask is that Kirk Hammet gets a lot of flack as a guitarist and I feel that this is because he's constantly evaluated against the technique end of metal guitar playing, while his technique isn't anything spectacular in that arena he's technically on par if not better than most 70s guitarists who are venerated as guitar heroes. Also my personal opinion, his guitar solos on the early albums are incredibly imaginative and melodic and not just pentatonic runs, eg Disposable Heroes, Fight Fire with Fire etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lars vs anyone makes no sense though. Its not like there is a particular thing that makes him a better drummer, it cant be quantified. after a certain level of technical proficiency, it all just comes down to taste. You get left with endless loops of "x is definitely better than y" without any actual way to back it up other than "I think..". Music isn't like sports, there aren't winners and losers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

D.Q wrote: »
    Lars vs anyone makes no sense though. Its not like there is a particular thing that makes him a better drummer, it cant be quantified. after a certain level of technical proficiency, it all just comes down to taste. You get left with endless loops of "x is definitely better than y" without any actual way to back it up other than "I think..". Music isn't like sports, there aren't winners and losers.

This should be posted as a reply to every other thread about who is good, better, best, as well as any top 10 type music list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lars is lars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

D.Q wrote: »

I agree completely but just in terms of technique you can say one drummer is better than another, like Lars is definately a better drummer than Ringo in terms of technique. But I'm not a drummer so it would be difficult for me to gauge how much better or worse he is than the 70s drummers for example.

I agree completely but just in terms of technique you can say one drummer is better than another, like Lars is definately a better drummer than Ringo in terms of technique. But I'm not a drummer so it would be difficult for me to gauge how much better or worse he is than the 70s drummers for example.

Lars should be compared to metal drummers, as I posted earlier, Will Carroll playing trapped under ice is a good comparison. He played it better than Lars at 22 years of age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Will Carroll playing trapped under ice is a good comparison. He played it better than Lars at 22 years of age.

He may have played it better now,but it was Lars who came up with the arrangement originally. Anyone can improve on the original,even some of Metallica's covers are arguably better than the original songs.

The Lars thing has been done to death at this stage. He was pretty good in his younger days and can still come up with some great stuff when it comes to new material but he's said himself that he's lazy and never practices and it often shows in is live performances in recent years.

It's amazing how many arguments have been on this thread every couple of weeks about Lars drumming lol - it's almost hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

It's amazing how many arguments have been on this thread every couple of weeks about Lars drumming lol - it's almost hilarious

Its sad but true :pac:

Its sad but true :pac:

Can't we just have justice for all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Can't we just have justice for all...

We can't Escape this argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I really think it's time we stopped this Hate Train dead in its tracks

Advertisement