Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

scudzilla wrote: »
    Now there's your problem, a plastic mop handle works so much better

Anything to improve my speed is much appreciated,ill be down to Homestore in the morning.Soon they won't need John Marshall to stand in for Het's guitar parts if he ever has a pyrotechnic malfunction again.

Well I've seen them 5 times myself, aching to bring the girlfriend to one of their shows. To me the by request would be the perfect thing to introduce her to the band in a live setting as they are mostly the songs she would know.

Are they around that long that they are losing their hunger that gave them their edge,by allowing the fans to choose the setlist?
    St Anger should be confined to the attic,i don't know what possessed them to create such a disappointing album.

Now there's your problem, a plastic mop handle works so much better

Anything to improve my speed is much appreciated,ill be down to Homestore in the morning.Soon they won't need John Marshall to stand in for Het's guitar parts if he ever has a pyrotechnic malfunction again.

and which is your favourite and why

Master of Puppets is my favorite album-just for the rhythm guitar alone.I mean...take for example the rhythm guitar in 'Sanitarium' when Het shouts "..just leave me alone....'.I've tried to mime it with the brush handle as my guitar and couldn't keep up with him.

and which is your favourite and why

Master of Puppets is my favorite album-just for the rhythm guitar alone.I mean...take for example the rhythm guitar in 'Sanitarium' when Het shouts "..just leave me alone....'.I've tried to mime it with the brush handle as my guitar and couldn't keep up with him.

• Advertisement

Looks like I picked the Shortest Straw when I started this argument

Anymore Metallica related puns anyone wants to get out of their system now?

Think I got One for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

"Om, hey James.. let's scratch out Dyers Eve, and, om, lets play Seek and Destroy instead. That'd be real wacky".

While I'd love to see Dyers Eve and some of the rarer songs appear on setlists, I realise it just won't happen. What I can't understand is why they don't play songs like Bleeding Me anymore.

Bleeding Me has to be one of their best songs EVER!

It's definitely one of their finest ones and very often the songs that many people don't listen to enough are the ones that turn out to be brilliant

Seek and destroy while still a setlist favourite has been played to death over the years,and battery as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Seek and destroy while still a setlist favourite has been played to death over the years,and battery as well

You could say that about 90% of their set lists these days, regardless of whether the band or the fans pick the songs.

• Advertisement

There needs to be a complete overhaul of their setlist,ditch the ones that have been overplayed and choose the ones that have been tucked away and breathe new life into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

There needs to be a complete overhaul of their setlist,ditch the ones that have been overplayed and choose the ones that have been tucked away and breathe new life into them

There needs to be a complete overhaul in the attitude. Write some songs, record those songs, release those songs together in a package then tour those songs with others great songs.

Not selling art or playing to polar bears or fcukin' penguins.

Rumour has it that Mr. Lombardo is free.
    HINT, HINT.

Hetfield, a top notch guitarist in his own right.
    Hammett, another top notch guitarist.
    Crab Boy, superb bassist.
    Lars, YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK, GOODBYE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There needs to be a complete overhaul in the attitude. Write some songs, record those songs, release those songs together in a package then tour those songs with others great songs.

Not selling art or playing to polar bears or fcukin' penguins.

HINT, HINT.

That's just NEVER gonna happen, do you think Lars would just walk away from HIS band? Not a hope

That's just NEVER gonna happen, do you think Lars would just walk away from HIS band? Not a hope

Let him keep his 'brand'.

The three could keep their metal integrity and create some mighty songs. Let the dwarf drool over the back catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

HINT, HINT.

There needs to be a complete overhaul in this attitude.

Do you want to see metallica play, or a fucking covers band who happen to play metallica songs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lars is metallica

There needs to be a complete overhaul in this attitude.

Do you want to see metallica play, or a fucking covers band who happen to play metallica songs?

I would like to hear great musicians reach their full potential and create and record fantastic music.

Is this too hard of a concept for 'musicians'?

Playing to thirty people with bobble hats on and creating LULU!!!!!!!! is not really maximising their talent is it?

Do you really think Cliff Burton would perform to a penguin?

I would like to hear great musicians reach their full potential and create and record fantastic music.

Playing to thirty people with bobble hats on and creating LULU!!!!!!!! is not really maximising their talent is it?

• They did reach their full potential.
    • Cliff Burton may well have been the first to go the non-metal route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Death to false metal!

• They did reach their full potential.
    • Cliff Burton may well have been the first to go the non-metal route.

If they think they reached their full potential, then where is their integrity? $$$$$$$

Fair enough, Cliff may or may not have created exclusively metal, but performing Orion to Happy Feet I cannot envisage.

• Advertisement

If they think they reached their full potential, then where is their integrity? $$$$$$$

Fair enough, Cliff may or may not have created exclusively metal, but performing Orion to Happy Feet I cannot envisage.
    they reached it in 86 and then solidified it in 88 and 91 ....job done...now they are in their 50's, it's not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Many would argue that MoP is the best album of all time. Same goes for KEA, and AJFA. Same could probably be said for a lot of their work. If that's not reaching their full potential, I don't know what is.

These lads have been in the business more than 30 years now, surely they've earned the privilege to enjoy their fame and wealth in their old age (in Lars' case, I think he's into art a bit now? and Kirk seems to be a fan of surfing these days). As a result of this, they're just not that arsed about being the best of the best any more. It takes time and hard work to maximise your potential, and these lads are probably more interested in enjoying themselves than spending hours upon hours each day practicing.

And best of luck to them. So what if Lars and Kirk are getting sloppy in their old age, Metallica without them just wouldn't be the same. Sure we could try to get Dave Lombardo and Buckethead in to the band, and they'd play the parts they filled flawlessly, but it wouldn't be Metallica.

Many would argue that MoP is the best album of all time. Same goes for KEA, and AJFA. Same could probably be said for a lot of their work. If that's not reaching their full potential, I don't know what is.

These lads have been in the business more than 30 years now, surely they've earned the privilege to enjoy their fame and wealth in their old age (in Lars' case, I think he's into art a bit now? and Kirk seems to be a fan of surfing these days). As a result of this, they're just not that arsed about being the best of the best any more. It takes time and hard work to maximise your potential, and these lads are probably more interested in enjoying themselves than spending hours upon hours each day practicing.

And best of luck to them. So what if Lars and Kirk are getting sloppy in their old age, Metallica without them just wouldn't be the same. Sure we could try to get Dave Lombardo and Buckethead in to the band, and they'd play the parts they filled flawlessly, but it wouldn't be Metallica.

Nail. On. The. Head. Can we move on now.....?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Can we please just have a lars super thread as well? Then everyone who thinks that they are the first person to figure out that lars isn't as good as he used to be can just talk it over on an endless loop in there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Many would argue that MoP is the best album of all time. Same goes for KEA, and AJFA. Same could probably be said for a lot of their work.

D1H2nV1.gif&size=400x1000

Lombardo would bring a whole new level of technique to the drum parts within their songs and better drum fills as well as the notorious prolonged double bass.A lot of the double bass playing on their albums sounds so flat.

Take for example the double bass playing during the guitar solo on Dyers Eve.
    Completely flat with no depth in stark contrast to,say...the double bass part at the end of the guitar solo on Angel of Death.Now that's double bass playing with power and depth.The difference between a chihuahua and a rottweiler.

Lombardo would definitely bring a whole new edge to the band-but who am I kidding?Its a notion that the hardcore fans will only dream about.

That's down to the s&!??y production on AJFA, and nothing else, IMO.

Lombardo would bring a whole new level of technique to the drum parts within their songs and better drum fills as well as the notorious prolonged double bass.A lot of the double bass playing on their albums sounds so flat.

Completely flat with no depth in stark contrast to,say...the double bass part at the end of the guitar solo on Angel of Death.Now that's double bass playing with power and depth.The difference between a chihuahua and a rottweiler.

Lombardo would definitely bring a whole new edge to the band-but who am I kidding?Its a notion that the hardcore fans will only dream about.
    Its a notion that Slayer fans will only dream about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I seen them playing with Lombardo on drums and it was something else, not heard Battery or 4 Horsemen played like that in years

(Lars missed gig as 'ill', Lombardo, Jordison and Lars' roadie fileld in)

• Advertisement

It's a shame that they didn't give his double bass playing the multi layering treatment that the Het's rhythm guitar playing got on AJFA.

Advertisement