Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    With St Anger, although the album was very very mediocre (no, it wasn't sh*ite, just far far below the expectations we had of them) they pulled it out of the hat with the live performances, unfortunately the live performances, to me, are beginning to get very very stale now

It was s!@?e lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It was s!@?e lol.

If it was a new band that had released it then it would have been good, it's not sh*te, just not very good, and not up to the standards we've come to expect from them

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

It was absolute rubbish-the notion of practically forcing them to write music while in the recording studio,churning out the content that became st anger,instead of allowing the music to come into their heads when it's good and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Load/Reload & St. Anger........ The most divisive albums among Metallica fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Load/Reload & St. Anger........ The most divisive albums among Metallica fans

Shocking of course for very different reasons

Load obviously more so than ReLoad, perhaps just me, but I've never considered ReLoad a real album - good selection of songs and nice to have - but more just the leftovers from an initial session and (for some reason) Metallica just couldn't release them both at the same time....I'd say there was some infighting there between Lars and James at the time and they just gave in and released ReLoad....the imagery on the ReLoad album is also massively different, essentially just still photography from the Cunning Stunts recording....to counterbalance what James and Jason felt was going "overboard" with the Load photos

But in regards to the music, I think St Anger was just disliked because Metallica were attempting to produce a current album a few years behind the trend, I remember a friend of mine saying to me that he liked the album but that it would have been a great album if it had only been released two years ago....by the time it hit the shelves it was already too late. I think people have given that album an unfair wrap and continually talk about how bad it is, because it's almost fashionable now to do so

All Within My Hands from the Bridge School, done acoustically, is a brilliant song

And The Unnamed Feeling - I'm sorry - is still one of my favorite Metallica tunes of all time

• Advertisement

It's ALL muck!!! Not ONE redeeming feature on it(St Anger)!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the main issue with st anger was they're marketing team told lies before it's release ....best album ever etc...."back to their glory days".....if they had of told the truth it would have worked out better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

So I was listening to bits of Ride The Lightning last night, still my favourite Metallica release (bought it on LP when it was released!).

Sorry, just wanted to say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »
    If it was a new band that had released it then it would have been good, it's not sh*te, just not very good, and not up to the standards we've come to expect from them

It's rubbish. The fact that it was a Metallica record is the only reason it wasn't dumped after one listen. If that was any other band I'd never have made it through the first listen and turned it off half way through it's that bad.

If any other band had put that 'kill kill kill' bit at the end of their songs I'd have laughed at them for eternity

I think I listened to it fully, maybe half a dozen times....??? Haven't listened to it in ages. I find it painful tbh. "Invisible Kid" sounds like it was written by a 10 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

If that was sent in as a demo by a unsigned band, it would be fcuked in the bin straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I think St Anger was a great album tbh. I used to dislike it somewhat but after giving it a few listens I'm loving it. Obviously the production wasn't great but the songs were heavy and different.

Moving gears from the controversial St. Anger, Metallica are bringing back their Snake pit stage for a run of shows this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

wonder why they don't do a run of small venue dates, they must miss that close to audience sweaty insane gig of years ago!

imagine them in the button factory or the academy, no fancy theatrics, amp each for backline and off you go!

lars is probably far too precious for that kind of thing now!

they say you can never have enough money but feckin hell! surely they are free to do as they choose at this stage

always found it wierd that no side projects emerged too, collaborations with anyone. Hetfield is a monster riffer, imagine him getting with tremonti for a project, lombardo on drums ellefson on bass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wonder why they don't do a run of small venue dates, they must miss that close to audience sweaty insane gig of years ago!

imagine them in the button factory or the academy, no fancy theatrics, amp each for backline and off you go!

lars is probably far too precious for that kind of thing now!

they say you can never have enough money but feckin hell! surely they are free to do as they choose at this stage

always found it wierd that no side projects emerged too, collaborations with anyone. Hetfield is a monster riffer, imagine him getting with tremonti for a project, lombardo on drums ellefson on bass....
    i would love to see all my favourite bands in the button factory, best venue in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I just did my Metallica by Request for their Rock im Park and screw it, I voted for Frantic, especially as St Anger is a given for that playlist.

It's not the worst thing ever, just not their finest work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Zwillinge wrote: »
    I just did my Metallica by Request for their Rock im Park and screw it, I voted for Frantic, especially as St Anger is a given for that playlist.

Is there still tickets available for Rock Im Park? Any tips on how to get them. Want to see Metallica at some point and the German shows seem the best bet for me personally. What site did you use to get them? Everything I try google translate fails on me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

I bought them a good while ago now so I think the price has gone up since, but from a brief look; http://www.rock-im-park.com/tickets and possibly the first link.

The combi ticket is for another festival, Rock n Heim, in August along with Rock im Park then the rest look like day tickets.

Being lazy myself and booked a hotel, never done a four day festival, don't think my bones could hack it :o

Zwillinge wrote: »

Frantic is a half decent song. What is their worst thing that they've ever done?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

S&M and Lulu have to be the worst things they have ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kcPpd.jpg

Lulu has to be the worst things they have ever done.

fixed your post for ya

(S&M was awesome, the orchestra suited the songs)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Looks like tallica are confirmed for the final night of Glastonbury!

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/2014-05-08/confirmed-metallica-to-headline-glastonbury

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/2014-05-08/confirmed-metallica-to-headline-glastonbury

Like to see how they're gonna work out tickets for the fan club on this one

Another notch in the post for Metallica in their long storied history.

Don't agree with S&M being bad, loved that album, the collaboration was just something else and breathed fresh life into some old songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lars hit the nail on the head in his interview with this quote
    Metallica have a tendency to get some fairly strong opinions out of people – which is a great thing, because nobody seems to just be neutral and dismissive. Everybody’s always got an opinion about what we do.

In '98 i won a competition in Kerrang and, along with 6 other Metallica fans, got the chance to interview them for a forthcoming issue, it was for the release of Garage Inc.

We had Lars & Kirk doing Euro Promo, the 2 cool one's were in Australia doing press.

Kirk got fcukin appendicitis the day before so we were left with Lars, he was actually pretty cool.

It was around the March time and they were heavily rumoured to be playing Glasto that year, i asked him if the rumours were true and he didn't deny it, then i told him if it happened a lot of Metallica fans would be seriously pissed off, he asked me why.

Told him that they'd have to sit through a weekend of shite just to see the band, as Glasto never did day tickets, he seemed pretty interested in that, so i'm hoping that i caused them not to play that year :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Haven't heard LULU so can't comment.....S&M wasn't THAT bad!? Some of it worked quite well....

Advertisement