Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

scudzilla wrote: »
    I know it's gone but why? Some of the best albums ever were recorded in 2-3 weeks

I don't know, but hazarding a guess maybe it's down to the evolving nature of the music industry that albums aren't being hammered out in 2-3 weeks, something ran with me, why don't Metallica go the Down route when it comes to new music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I don't know, but hazarding a guess maybe it's down to the evolving nature of the music industry that albums aren't being hammered out in 2-3 weeks, something ran with me, why don't Metallica go the Down route when it comes to new music.

i truly thought DM would be the last full length album we'd get from them.

With the way downloads are affecting sales, and the slowness in which they release material i thought that we'd get a 4 track EP every year or so, just like Extra Magnetic

scudzilla wrote: »
    i truly thought DM would be the last full length album we'd get from them.

With the way downloads are affecting sales, and the slowness in which they release material i thought that we'd get a 4 track EP every year or so, just like Extra Magnetic

I think that the Death Magnetic follow up will be the last full length Metallica album, i'm sure downloading ain't helping sales either..... An ep like Beyond Magnetic ever 2-3 years would be better than x amount of years waiting for a new album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

The fact that they are out on their own now, supporting their own record label (blackened records), you would think there would be some more urgency to release an album to really launch this label?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The fact that they are out on their own now, supporting their own record label (blackened records), you would think there would be some more urgency to release an album to really launch this label?
    i wouldn't say that label is meant to make money, probably just a way of cutting out the middle men or a tax saver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They are multi millionaires. There is no urgency for them to do anything really, least of all release a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seachto7 wrote: »
    They are multi millionaires. There is no urgency for them to do anything really, least of all release a record.
    that's what young people cannot comprehend. Metallica are in their 50's and sitting in a studio playing a style of music they're not listening too or a part of...is actually quite difficult!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd love another load style album, or something a bit bluesy maybe

im not saying they're too old to release another master of puppets, but they're too old to release another master of puppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Touring makes far more money than recorded music these days. Theoretically they could continue touring their back catalogue for the rest of their lives without ever recording again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

i'd love another load style album, or something a bit bluesy maybe

im not saying they're too old to release another master of puppets, but they're too old to release another master of puppets

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Whilst we're waiting to hear the proper version of Frayed tonight,here's a sneaky recording of them playing it at soundcheck yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Sounds really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Pretty much nailed it. Should play it more often!

sugarman wrote: »
    Sounds too good, I suspect it may be a fake.. Backing vocals jus sound very Jason esque, something rob lacks

That's Robs bark alright. Can tell by Hetfields voice too it's pretty recent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought a Met Live version would be available by now but this is pretty good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's the story with the bloke on stage? Was that a one off thing or is inviting fans on stage to introduce songs another part of the Metallica cabaret experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What's the story with the bloke on stage? Was that a one off thing or is inviting fans on stage to introduce songs another part of the Metallica cabaret experience?

Ah sure it's a bit of fun, and I'd say a pretty cool experience if you're a fan!?

More Metallica good news, The Black Album has broken 16 million sales
    Metallica‘s ‘Black Album’ has just set a new record! The album has become the first in SoundScan history to surpass 16 million records sold.
    The Neilsen SoundScan system launched in 1991 and has become the go-to source to track record sales. According to the service, Metallica’s ‘Black Album’ is the most purchased piece of music of the past 13 years, not just in metal, but all genres.
    The record has spent a total of 307 weeks on the Billboard 200 chart, with 20 of those weeks having come in 2014. In the history of Billboard, the ‘Black Album’ is the third longest-charting studio album, only falling behind Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ and Carole King’s ‘Tapestry’. Metallica’s 1991 release is also the sixth longest charting album of any kind in Billboard history.

http://loudwire.com/metallica-black-album-new-sales-record-frayed-ends-of-sanity-live-first-time/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Swedish public service radio is currently broadcasting tonight's Sthlm show live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

More Metallica good news, The Black Album has broken 16 million sales

http://loudwire.com/metallica-black-album-new-sales-record-frayed-ends-of-sanity-live-first-time/

No way has the black album been the highest selling album of the past 13 years.

Adele's 21 was released in 2011, and to date it is listed as selling 28 million units. Even Norah Jones and Avril Lavinge both had albums shift more than 20 million units during the past 13 years, a stat that really had me going "wtf?" .

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    No way has the black album been the highest selling album of the past 13 years.

Adele's 21 was released in 2011, and to date it is listed as selling 28 million units. Even Norah Jones and Avril Lavinge both had albums shift more than 20 million units during the past 13 years, a stat that really had me going "wtf?" .

The Metallica stat is US sales alone. It's sold over 30m copies worldwide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Metallica stat is US sales alone. It's sold over 30m copies worldwide

US sales alone would make more sense alright and I really should have twigged that. Looking at what some of the other big selling artists sold in the US alone in the past 13 years (Adele sold 10m of the album 21 in the US over the past three years so Metallica will have beaten that figure to have become the best selling in the US over the past 13 years) it is actually amazing that Metallica sold more of the Black album between 2001 and 2014 than they did between 1991 and 2000. Says a hell of a lot about the appeal of the album that it's sales have managed to get even stronger in it's second decade ( well technically second decade and a bit of what will be it's third decade). of release.

If I had been forced to guess before looking into the sales stats, then I would have gone with the bulk of it's sales happening in the first decade of release.

Come the 30th anniversary of release, they might well be looking at an album that sold upwards of 25 million in the US alone.

Should've clarified that The Black Album breaking 16 million was U.S only, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Should've clarified that The Black Album breaking 16 million was U.S only, my bad.

You'd imagine Metallica would release a special edition version of the album, with the original demos and the elevator version of Nothing Else Matters on the second disc, for the sake of those who couldn't find the songs on the singles - maybe some exclusive pictures, artwork, that kind of thing. Or is Jason not being in the band really stopping them from doing that?

Actually, I wonder how much he earns from that album, given he only has a songwriting credit on one song? Would he earn performance/appearance royalties in any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'm sure they'll do something in 2016 to mark it's 25th birthday. Deluxe anniversary releases are a big money spinner now. Look at Nirvana, with Nevermind and In Utero.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how many copies of MOP have been shifted over the years? Gotta be at least a couple of million considering how highly regarded it is.

I'm sure they'll do something in 2016 to mark it's 25th birthday. Deluxe anniversary releases are a big money spinner now. Look at Nirvana, with Nevermind and In Utero.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how many copies of MOP have been shifted over the years? Gotta be at least a couple of million considering how highly regarded it is.

6 million in the US alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

According to some things I'm reading from Metclub, James has stopped turning up for meet and greets. Bit sh*te if it's true. I love that they've given meet and greet winners access to the side of the stage, but there's a lot of disappointment out there regarding James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

According to some things I'm reading from Metclub, James has stopped turning up for meet and greets. Bit sh*te if it's true. I love that they've given meet and greet winners access to the side of the stage, but there's a lot of disappointment out there regarding James.

Was there any reason given for it? Or is it just an unexplained trend? Perhaps he got sick of people asking him the same questions over and over again, "how does it feel to be sober" etc

Havent renewed my membership since it expired two years ago, been meaning to though!

It sucks if James has stopped doing the M&G's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

He hasn't done any on the European or South American dates this year I believe. I'm not in metclub anymore so I've no idea what theories are being banded about over there but it seems to go back to his sudden exit from Instagram. Maybe he's having privacy issues, who knows. Selfishly as a fan I'd be pissed off if I won a M&G and James wasn't there. It does say you're not guaranteed to meet all the band but since 2003 they've been at pretty much every one unless ill.

Advertisement