Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Did anyone watch the recent MetOnTour video. I thought Hetfield didn't seem a happy bunny. Especially in the soundcheck at the beginning of the video. But maybe it was just the bad weather impacting his mood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    He hasn't done any on the European or South American dates this year I believe. I'm not in metclub anymore so I've no idea what theories are being banded about over there but it seems to go back to his sudden exit from Instagram. Maybe he's having privacy issues, who knows. Selfishly as a fan I'd be pissed off if I won a M&G and James wasn't there. It does say you're not guaranteed to meet all the band but since 2003 they've been at pretty much every one unless ill.

Wonder why he left Instagram so quick, was great at the start, had a few chats with him, then it sorta got out that it was him and went crazy, every fcukin post was "Come to Chile" or "Come to Australia"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wonder why he left Instagram so quick, was great at the start, had a few chats with him, then it sorta got out that it was him and went crazy, every fcukin post was "Come to Chile" or "Come to Australia"

Well damn those who drove James from Instagram, and damn whoever let slip that James was using Instagram & maybe that's why he stopped doing the the M&G's, people constantly asking him when would Metallica play a show in country X or country Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

given his history i would have a genuine concern for the man, hopefully his retraction is for health reasons and he will return.

If he is not enjoying it GTFO . life is short and he has kids relying on him. it's not like he needs more money.

given his history i would have a genuine concern for the man, hopefully his retraction is for health reasons and he will return.

If he is not enjoying it GTFO . life is short and he has kids relying on him. it's not like he needs more money.

You wouldn't think he'd go back to the bottle? but hopefully that's not the case and James will be back, or whatever struck James could be due to touring

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You wouldn't think he'd go back to the bottle? but hopefully that's not the case and James will be back, or whatever struck James could be due to touring

This is hardly what ya call a tour, it's only a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hopefully not. it's a strange world he inhabits and i don't pretend to understand the stresses of it.

I read a lot of biographies, and the ones who have great fame are greatly affected by it.

As a fan i hope he continues. But i also hope he does what is right for him and his immediate family, not the metallica machine.

Been doing some digging, things aint rosy with Papa Het at the moment, this post is from the Metboards

"Astrid0628 (From MetClub boards), on 25 Mar 2014 - 4:37 PM, said:
    I'm still devastated about his attitude. In Perú .. He passed in front of all the winners during the M&G, and although everyone was saying James! James! James!, he didn't even turned his face to say hi, or at least wave ... His security guy made all the fans shut up. So sad ... I know many M&G winners of this tour and they are all very sad about this "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

You wouldn't think he'd go back to the bottle?

Was he ever really on the bottle?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Been doing some digging, things aint rosy with Papa Het at the moment, this post is from the Metboards

"Astrid0628 (From MetClub boards), on 25 Mar 2014 - 4:37 PM, said:
    I'm still devastated about his attitude. In Perú .. He passed in front of all the winners during the M&G, and although everyone was saying James! James! James!, he didn't even turned his face to say hi, or at least wave ... His security guy made all the fans shut up. So sad ... I know many M&G winners of this tour and they are all very sad about this "

Depression. Poor bloke.

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »
    Was he ever really on the bottle?

Well he was in rehab for 7 months for alcohol addiction, it's all on Some Kind Of Monster (Which isn't a bad documentary a decade later, but that's just my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭trey99

Think it is metallicas time to pack it in now, seems they can't handle it no more. The effort in their music has long gone, kirk has got lazy, james is sick of it, they need start thinking of their health now, releasing more albums is bringing down what is left of their reputation.

Or maybe we're just reading too much into the situation, and James could simply just be exhausted.

Well he was in rehab for 7 months for alcohol addiction, it's all on Some Kind Of Monster (Which isn't a bad documentary a decade later, but that's just my opinion)

And the makers of the fly-on-the-wall documentary had one scene where he got tipsy on wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

ush wrote: »
    And the makers of the fly-on-the-wall documentary had one scene where he got tipsy on wine.

That was one scene....you could have one scene where someone gets drunk on a single beer....misses out on the other 6/7 though. Also theres the point where he talks about being in Russia hunting with the only thing to drink being vodka...

We are reading too much into this. The man is entitled to privacy, if something is up we'll find out as we did back in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Or maybe we're just reading too much into the situation, and James could simply just be exhausted.

I wouldn't be too surprised if himself and all of them were just tired.
    I'd hope none of them were going through anything darker.

The By Request idea is a simple idea, they do a few gigs and keep the live feeling going, but without having to write a whole new album and promote it, just to be slated with "Nope, I prefer the old stuff, pack it in lads!" type idea that always seems to happen.

That would get tiring on anyone! :(

That was one scene....you could have one scene where someone gets drunk on a single beer....misses out on the other 6/7 though.

The documentary makers had one piece of footage with a drunk James. They followed them around for months.
    Also theres the point where he talks about being in Russia hunting with the only thing to drink being vodka...

Who hasn't got drinking stories?
    We are reading too much into this. The man is entitled to privacy, if something is up we'll find out as we did back in 2001.

If the man is entitled to privacy, then we shouldn't find out and he shouldn't be sharing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Did anyone to see the campaign to get Metallica dropped from Glastonbury because of Hetfields bear hunting obsession? Maybe that's something to do with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,138 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Did anyone to see the campaign to get Metallica dropped from Glastonbury because of Hetfields bear hunting obsession? Maybe that's something to do with it
    doubt it....

STATIC STATIC STATIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hey did anyone read Mogwai's comments on Metallica? I thought they were being really pissy and small minded. Imo bands should be supporting each other, not slagging each other off, the music world is difficult enough as it is. I read somewhere that there's been a bit of backlash to them playing because they don't appeal to Glastonbury's demographic which is probably ****eology. I don't want to start an I hate all hipsters rant but if people who like metal can like indie and other forms of music, why not the other way around?, seems a bit narrowminded and insular.

• Advertisement

Hey did anyone read Mogwai's comments on Metallica? I thought they were being really pissy and small minded. Imo bands should be supporting each other, not slagging each other off, the music world is difficult enough as it is. I read somewhere that there's been a bit of backlash to them playing because they don't appeal to Glastonbury's demographic which is probably ****eology. I don't want to start an I hate all hipsters rant but if people who like metal can like indie and other forms of music, why not the other way around?, seems a bit narrowminded and insular.

Got a link to that story?

Got a link to that story?
    They just said lars is crap, metallica are ****e...and why can't it be 1989 again....which is more or less saying metallica were great.....

think they just have sand in their vagina's as they are on at the same time

They just said lars is crap, metallica are ****e...and why can't it be 1989 again....which is more or less saying metallica were great.....

Well that explains a lot, some unknown band (that i've never even heard of) are getting bitchy because Metallica are on at the same time as them. Poor them, they should suck it up and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The funny thing is, if that's what they said, it's pretty much the same as what is posted on here nearly every couple of weeks!

Well that explains a lot, some unknown band (that i've never even heard of) are getting bitchy because Metallica are on at the same time as them. Poor them, they should suck it up and move on.

Ah now don't go down the " who the hell are mogwai " route

Ah now don't go down the " who the hell are mogwai " route

I'm being serious, I HAVE NEVER EVER heard of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mogwai are alright. There aren't popular on anything like the scale metallica are though. Like the poster above said they are probably just pissed at being on at the same time because they'll be playing to about 10 people while everyone else is at metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

MadYaker wrote: »
    Mogwai are alright. There aren't popular on anything like the scale metallica are though. Like the poster above said they are probably just pissed at being on at the same time because they'll be playing to about 10 people while everyone else is at metallica.

I highly doubt they are upset because they're on the same time as Metallica. If anyone seriously thinks they'll be playing to about 10 people (or some other small number) because Metallica are on the main stage at the same time, they haven't a clue about Glastonbury.

It's not like Sonisphere or Download where people go because of who's playing and who's headlining. There will probably be more people not watching Metallica when they are on than there are watching them. The attendance is probably around 150k and at most you'll probably get 40-50k at the main stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i11Bf-sVEYQ

Frayed Ends of Sanity live at the end of the video, around the 23:00 mark. Metallica production etc.

• Advertisement

ha for a band that looked like they were wingin it they f**ing nailed it

Advertisement