Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭InPsyDer

Hi guys, just new on Boards so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - but just looking for Metallica fans as my brother is no longer able to make it to Sonisphere 4-6 July so I said I'd try sell his ticket for him. Really good price, message me if anyone interested! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

InPsyDer wrote: »
    Hi guys, just new on Boards so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - but just looking for Metallica fans as my brother is no longer able to make it to Sonisphere 4-6 July so I said I'd try sell his ticket for him. Really good price, message me if anyone interested! :-)

add it here too,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056221298&page=9

might be a thing to sticky that thread ? but i know too many stickies ruin a page so perhaps not!

hope that's face value you are looking for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

On this day in 2003, METALLICA released their eighth studio album, St. Anger

Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

And on their 'By Request' tour, Metallica gave St. Anger it's first live airing since 2006

It actually sounds better chopped down from 7 minutes to 5 minutes.

Lars Ulrich has shaken off negative comments by Glastonbury fans – and even other bands – over Metallica's groundbreaking festival appearance.

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2014-06-06/ulrich-lashes-back-at-glasto-haters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    On this day in 2003, METALLICA released their eighth studio album, St. Anger

Metallica_-_St._Anger_cover.jpg

I think I'm one of about a dozen or so people on the entire face of the earth that thinks the drum sound on SA is pretty good. :o

Can't believe 11 years passed so quickly either. Scary

I think I'm one of about a dozen or so people on the entire face of the earth that thinks the drum sound on SA is pretty good. :o

Can't believe 11 years could pass so quick. Scarey.

You're not the only one who thinks the drum sound on St. Anger is pretty good, in fact there are several people in this thread who like St. Anger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You're not the only one who thinks the drum sound on St. Anger is pretty good, in fact there are several people in this thread who like St. Anger

There is a couple of duds in there if I'm being honest but St Anger is one of their better efforts post black album. I especially liked the rougher sound they went for, Bob Rock said Lars was into the White Stripes at the time, and wanted a more stripped back, garage - band vibe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

This day 10 years ago Lars Ulrich pulled a sickie when Metallica were playing the final day of Download Festival.

Was lucky enough to be there. The wait was so long before they finally announced the problem. But was great to experience Metallica play with Dave Lombardo. Not that I hate Lars, it was just pretty unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Battery with Dave on drums was amazing. He's a machine.

• Advertisement

lars is one lazy cnut when it comes to drumming.
    could have been great but fcuk it, rich anyway....

Poor auld dave lombardo on a salary, no job security, master of his discipline, and shafted in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Back from their Rock im Park set... They didn't look too into it and James looked a bit older today.

They had fans at side and on stage with them, so I guess meet n greet back n happy?

Weirdly they had no pyros or fireworks... Yet Avenged Sevenfold got some (along with Metallica's songs) :P

They played St Anger, it was actually quite decent! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

lars is one lazy cnut when it comes to drumming.
    could have been great but fcuk it, rich anyway....

Poor auld dave lombardo on a salary, no job security, master of his discipline, and shafted in the end.
    While he was definitely shafted, i'm sure Lombardo isn't too badly off.

http://loudwire.com/dave-lombardo-claims-only-made-67000-slayer-4-million-gross-2011/

sorry, thats dragging things a little off topic but an interesting contrast in earnings between two drummers in the big four!

Rock Am Ring set list

Intro By Request
    The Ecstasy of Gold
    Battery
    Master of Puppets
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Ride the Lightning
    (Followed by Kirk's guitar solo)
    The Unforgiven
    Creeping Death
    Lords of Summer
    Sad but True
    (Followed by Rob's bass solo)
    Fade to Black
    Fuel
    One
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Whiskey in the Jar
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman

Encore:
    St. Anger
    ...And Justice for All - (Vote of the day. Re-started two times, without tape intro)
    Seek & Destroy

Note: Vote of the Day choices were "The Day that Never Comes", "...And Justice For All" and "Wherever I May Roam"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the two restarts were painful viewing.

D.Q wrote: »
    the two restarts were painful viewing.

I don't know, the live stream i had cut out after Whiskey In The Jar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

James didn't seem too happy about re-starting, he even asked "who f**ked it up? Was it me??" Think it flustered him a bit.

Shows they are human, back in 1989 during the Justice tour they got so fed up of playing that song and watching the audience start to yawn by the 7th or 8th minute, by the time one gig finished they said "We're never playing that f**king song again!"

Also St Anger was sort of odd sounding, kinda like James didn't give a f**k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

dont know who was to blame really, James seemed pretty annoyed. Massively unprofessional for a band of that level, wouldnt see that from a pub band at the weekend.

**** happens i guess, though whoever screwed up the tape intro for Justice must've gotten a telling off afterwards

• Advertisement

I don't think they were going to use the tape considering it was a last minute voted song, think they really just planned to tear into it without the tape.

Maybe they should have left the Fade To Black acoustic guitar on stand-by on the stage in case And Justice For All got voted song of the day, that way James can play the intro without the tape, he has played it before as sort of a doodle.

Wouldn't be easier to do Justice live without the tape

I've seen a few recent shows where they play AJFA without the tape, I think nowadays they play it more without the tape than with it.

I don't think James was expecting it to win, it was a very close vote. The Day That Never Comes was winning by a nose, then a load of people voted for AJFA while St. Anger was being played. Funny that!

Maybe they were thinking they'd be playing The Day That Never Comes instead of ...And Justice For All

The Day That Never Comes was ahead of AJFA by 8 votes before St Anger was played. Then AJFA jumped in votes, Hetfield was definitely disappointed with the outcome, think he said "Really?" as his reaction to the outcome.

I think they knew what they were playing sure once it's started they should know what it is, they wrote it!

At the beginning of the show they checked the votes and by the look of it Hetfield wanted the third option which was Wherever I May Roam.

I think the "By Request" idea definitely wasn't James's idea. Sounds like a Lars idea...and James may be hating it!

''By Request'' definitely sounds like a Lars idea, if it was, it gave him a break from writing the set list, and there is only 8 ''By Request'' shows left - So i'd say James will be happy when it's done and dusted with.

And hopefully after they wrap up the ''By Request'' run, they'll direct all their focus on the new album.

''By Request'' definitely sounds like a Lars idea, if it was, it gave him a break from writing the set list, and there is only 8 ''By Request'' shows left - So i'd say James will be happy when it's done and dusted with.

And hopefully after they wrap up the ''By Request'' run, they'll direct all their focus on the new album.

Well I think their setlists are very similar to other setlists they have been doing lately with the exeption of them doing Frayed Ends Of Sanity in Finland last week and they have been playing Whiskey In The Jar a bit everywhere which is awesome! but other than that they play most of them songs a lot since they are fan favourites. If it was me I'd pick a lot of rare ones like Frayed Ends Of Sanity, Dyers Eve, Eye of the Beholder, The Struggle Within, maybe Metal Militia and The God That Failed as a good slow number, I'd throw Sad But True out of the setlist altogether in exchance for Frayed Ends, Eye of The Beholder or The God That Failed as a different slower song.

Yeah I reckon the new album will be next thing to throw themselves into, perdicting an August/September release date.

They should do something for the Met Club fans, a show with a set list full of deep cuts/rarely played songs, i mean they have the back catalog to do so, i doubt they'd be that far into the new album for it to be released in August/September

They should do something for the Met Club fans, a show with a set list full of deep cuts/rarely played songs, i mean they have the back catalog to do so, i doubt they'd be that far into the new album for it to be released in August/September

Could happen yet, they are running out of really mad stuff to do, for a band that went to Antartica to play a gig!

In the back of my mind I'm thinking it might not be out for August/September but I would imagine there would be some sort of internal pressure on them to have it out to coincide with a tour. They'll probably do another short run of Europe again next summer, put out an album then do indoor arenas in the states for a bit. Like they did with Death Magnetic

I don't know, they might not have the pace at the same time, they all still have families with small children so trying to keep a normal family life when you're in a massively successful band would be somewhat tough, doesn't matter how much money you have.

• Advertisement

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Could happen yet, they are running out of really mad stuff to do, for a band that went to Antartica to play a gig!

In the back of my mind I'm thinking it might not be out for August/September but I would imagine there would be some sort of internal pressure on them to have it out to coincide with a tour. They'll probably do another short run Europe again next summer, put out an album then do indoor arenas in the states for a bit. Like they did with Death Magnetic

I don't know, they might not have the pace at the same time, they all still have families with small children so trying to keep a normal family life when you're in a massively successful band would be somewhat tough, doesn't matter how much money you have.

I'd say it'll be early next year when we FINALLY get some new Metallica, what other mad stuff could they do??.... I'd imagine seeing as Lars, Kirk, & James have kids (Don't know about Robb), they'll take the summer off for family time, reconvene in late September/early October, have the songs written so they could start recording the whole of November/December (depending on how many songs they put on the album), break for Christmas & New Years Eve/Day... Then get the finishing touches on the album, artwork, track listing,mixing,mastering and have the album out by February/March 2015
    (maybe document the recording process as they did for Death Magnetic), then hit the road in support of the album, in the end good things come to those who wait, and i'm willing to wait patiently for the new album

Advertisement