Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be early next year when we FINALLY get some new Metallica, what other mad stuff could they do??.... I'd imagine seeing as Lars, Kirk, & James have kids (Don't know about Robb), they'll take the summer off for family time, reconvene in late September/early October, have the songs written so they could start recording the whole of November/December (depending on how many songs they put on the album), break for Christmas & New Years Eve/Day... Then get the finishing touches on the album, artwork, track listing,mixing,mastering and have the album out by February/March 2015
    (maybe document the recording process as they did for Death Magnetic), then hit the road in support of the album, in the end good things come to those who wait, and i'm willing to wait patiently for the new album

Rob has two kids himself, a little boy and a girl as far as I know. All are family men, they all had kids in the last 10 years or so.

I'm imagine they will spend a lot longer recording, like Lars and James are perfectionists, Lars on his own is very hands on going by what I've seen. I wonder are they using Rick Rubin again too? I just hope the next album isn't compressed like **** like Death Magnetic was, a great album but it sounds f**ked up when you listen with earphones,very distorted, there'll be no guitar hero version to save their asses next time so they have to get that right.

Maybe get the Guitar Hero guys to produce and mix the album.

Now theres a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Rob has two kids himself, a little boy and a girl as far as I know. All are family men, they all had kids in the last 10 years or so.

I'm imagine they will spend a lot longer recording, like Lars and James are perfectionists, Lars on his own is very hands on going by what I've seen. I wonder are they using Rick Rubin again too? I just hope the next album isn't compressed like **** like Death Magnetic was, a great album but it sounds f**ked up when you listen with earphones,very distorted, there'll be no guitar hero version to save their asses next time so they have to get that right. Maybe get the Guitar Hero guys to produce and mix the album.

Now theres a thought!

Well that's the summer off for Metallica then, i'd rather they'd take the time & make the best album possible, if possible i' hope they stay well clear of Rick Rubin for that side of the album, (Death Magnetic to me anyways sounds worse through headphones, always have the volume turned down when a Death Magnetic plays on the iPod) maybe Metallica should get Andy Sneap or Colin Richardson to do the technical side of the album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Colin Richardson has a good track record with bands old and new, don't know about Andy Sneap.

Have a feeling they will want an older wiser person to work with them.

They could go running back to Bob Rock yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

They should do something for the Met Club fans, a show with a set list full of deep cuts/rarely played songs, i mean they have the back catalog to do so, i doubt they'd be that far into the new album for it to be released in August/September

They did that back in 2011 for the 30th anniversery. Look up the 4 shows from December that year, unreal setlists

And as regards new album, they have said time and time again they arent going to even start any more writing until mid august/early september. I'd say April 2015 at the earliest (and that is being optimistic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think Metallica have reached a stage in their career where a new album could do as much damage as good, financially speaking, a lot of people can't wait to critize new material from the band and compare it with things that they did several decades ago and the cost of producing, recording and releasing an album might not be got back as fast as they had hoped.

I mean look at "Through the Never", James jokes on the special features that the band financed that with their own money and it meant their kids might not be left with much, but I think there was a lot more seriousness to that then first believed....financially the latest Metallica album WAS Through the Never, which cost a lot more to make than an average album release in terms of their budget. Metallica - having spent a lot of their budget, no doubt, on that movie would also have to consider what other projects they can and can't initate in the tax year...lest they recieve fines for spending too much....the more cynical in me would imagine that Metallica accepted the Antartica gig because Coca Cola threw a ****load of money at them and the band needed it in line with their GDP

I do laugh though when people abuse Metallica's latest efforts for it not being as good as their most commercially successful - it would be like someone approaching you in the street and saying "that idea you had 30 years ago was great, why can't you have more ideas like that, you're latest ideas and suggestions are rubbish"

Now that I think of it, the Black album was actually HATED by a lot of Metallica fans at the time of its release, yet made them a ton of money....

• Advertisement

I think its just the music culture we live in. Musical snobbery to me seems to be at an all time high. Some people just need to take their heads of their asses and give newer stuff a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think its just the music culture we live in. Musical snobbery to me seems to be at an all time high. Some people just need to take their heads of their asses and give newer stuff a chance.

Well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the pixies new album is great but they are getting slaughtered in the same way metallica are. Once you get in your 40's and 50's you cannot write music to rival stuf you did in your 20's.

They did that back in 2011 for the 30th anniversery. Look up the 4 shows from December that year, unreal setlists

And as regards new album, they have said time and time again they arent going to even start any more writing until mid august/early september. I'd say April 2015 at the earliest (and that is being optimistic)

I remember those 4 shows well, listened/watched the videos on Youtube & the set lists were a hardcore fans dream. I'd say that Metallica will have their new album out in time for festival season next year

• Advertisement

the metallica new album PR hype begins....the new album will be this...the new album will be that....such and such dropped by the studio and said the material sounds like the album after mop.....our heaviest album since bla bla pic with white explorer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭iamthestig

Of course many so called fans will give out about this new album whenever it does get released comparing it to Master and Justice. Yet it will still sell amazingly and so will the tour afterwards. Look at how St.Anger, regarded as the worst, did. Over 6million sold and topped charts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

the pixies new album is great but they are getting slaughtered in the same way metallica are. Once you get in your 40's and 50's you cannot write music to rival stuf you did in your 20's.

This is unfortunately depressingly true. However I still think you can put out decent music in your 40s. One of NIN's best songs Only was written when Trent was 40 something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

This is unfortunately depressingly true. However I still think you can put out decent music in your 40s. One of NIN's best songs Only was written when Trent was 40 something.

Sure James was 45 when DM came out, and it's a brilliant album

Sure James was 45 when DM came out, and it's a brilliant album
    but it still get's reviewed and opinions formed based on the first 4 albums..that's the price of fame i guess.

Further on from the James M&G conversation earlier I saw these comments on the most recent MetOnTour video
    I read somewhere that in the last few shows James haven't did M&G because he's getting very tired of every show on tour and needs more rest than ever.... so I think he's using that time for resting so he can do every show properly and not being a downer.....
    Reply · 6

Deniz Şanlı2 hours ago

Because of his wife. His wife doesn't let him go meet and greet because the girls in meeting kisses him.

And in reference to the new versus old debate. Like them or not I think this is a pretty valid point from Kasabians guitarist
    "It's mental now, it's really f--king hard," the guitarist replied. "You can see why there's no bands left almost, it's really really tough. I remember if I had a CD that was like 15 quid or whatever, y'know half your wages and you would go 'Oh no this is rubbish what have I done? I've got to listen to it again!' and then 5, 6 listens in you're like 'This is amazing.'

"When you just give something 30 seconds on some laptop speakers and then you review it and go 'Oh this is s--t - bang, I just hate that'. It's horrible, that culture of form an opinion after 20 seconds then tell everyone on the Internet it's s--t," Pizzorno added.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kasabian_rip_todays_fans_form_an_opinion_after_20_seconds_then_tell_everyone_on_internet_its_s--t.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

this lark of months to record an album is just lazy rubbish

preproduction is where they knock the songs into shape, get them ready for recording

recording should be straightforward, 10 songs get them down in two to three weeks.

plenty of time if you are not doing only 3 hours a day!

mix it and master it. done.

might be better if they did it garage days style, fresh, energetic

this lark of months to record an album is just lazy rubbish

preproduction is where they knock the songs into shape, get them ready for recording

recording should be straightforward, 10 songs get them down in two to three weeks.

plenty of time if you are not doing only 3 hours a day!

mix it and master it. done.

might be better if they did it garage days style, fresh, energetic
    not if you only have a bank of riffs and no songs and need someone else to tell you what's good and what's not....and what riffs should go where...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i hear you ash but thats what they should do in their rehearsal space, demoing and working with the producer until they have songs

jaysus you could release what they would be able to produce as a demo in their place!

Three years should have 10 songs moulded??

i'm in a givey out mood about them having rewatched the some kind of monster film recently

:o

newstead summed it up "really f'n lame!"

• Advertisement

i hear you ash but thats what they should do in their rehearsal space, demoing and working with the producer until they have songs

jaysus you could release what they would be able to produce as a demo in their place!

i'm in a givey out mood about them having rewatched the some kind of monster film recently

and that's why earlier in this thread i said newsted would make a great producer of the next album, in his tell all interview about why he left, he sounded like he knew exactly how to handle them and bang their heads together to get a good album!

Perhaps they need time to re-work the new songs in a way so that they don't sound stock?

I really love Lords of Summer. If they kept that songwriting style up I think we would have a damn good album! I watched the full Rock Am Ring stream, it sounded fantastic there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

And in reference to the new versus old debate. Like them or not I think this is a pretty valid point from Kasabians guitarist

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/kasabian_rip_todays_fans_form_an_opinion_after_20_seconds_then_tell_everyone_on_internet_its_s--t.html

So unbelievably true, the 90s were the last decade of truly great music, 00s were very hit and miss and the 10s are an abomination, I can't name one new band I like from this decade, not one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

So unbelievably true, the 90s were the last decade of truly great music, 00s were very hit and miss and the 10s are an abomination, I can't name one new band I like from this decade, not one!

Revoker - Welsh band from the valleys, seriously good.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-NJrWCGi6w

I wonder would Metallica have had the same level of success, if Dave Mustaine was still in the band.

I wonder would Metallica have had the same level of success, if Dave Mustaine was still in the band.

That's a good question. I can only assume he wouldn't just sit back and let James do the majority of writing, given the input he had for KEA and Megadeth since. So we'd potentially have a very different sounding band come out of it.

I'm glad without him fwiw. Not a fan of MD at all, and Dave seems like a bit of a cock at times.

So unbelievably true, the 90s were the last decade of truly great music, 00s were very hit and miss and the 10s are an abomination,

Are you not contradicting what he just said? Maybe you only think the 90's were the last great decade of music because you had more time to listen to music then?

I know I'd hold the same opinion as yourself, but I'd also be fully aware of the fact that I don't buy an album, sit down and listen to the whole thing, again and again, then repeat the process with friends. So I'm not really exposed to new music now, and anything that I am exposed to, if I don't like it instantly, I probably just won't bother. just part of growing old I guess :( "I used to be with it etc." :(
    I can't name one new band I like from this decade, not one!
    Tame Impala, Royal Blood off the top of my head

That's a good question. I can only assume he wouldn't just sit back and let James do the majority of writing, given the input he had for KEA and Megadeth since. So we'd potentially have a very different sounding band come out of it.

I'm glad without him fwiw. Not a fan of MD at all, and Dave seems like a bit of a cock at times.

James & Dave writing songs together would've been the metal equivalent of Jagger/Richards, and The Black Album through to Death Magnetic would've sounded drastically different.... As much as a knob Dave can be there's no denying the man is talented

• Advertisement

he didn't even rate james as a musician at the time so i doubt he would allow him contribute, i'd say there would be lots of fighting and no mighty hetfield!

Advertisement