Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Still better banter than the infamous 'Metallica Family' on the 2012 tour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Good performance overall, the matt living on Ulrich's head looks rancid. No chance of him appearing in the next Head & Shoulders commercial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yeah, definitely face palm stuff.

I thought the gig was good otherwise though.

I thought they were an improvement, there was actual some words in earnest, not just the metallica family loves you thing. He made a good point that heavier stuff should be represented and not shunned so much at festival like Glastonbury and by inference the British media and the whole music industry/mainstream. What was kind of uplifting was that yeah, everyone slags off Metallica, they're the butt of jokes these days in Spinal Tap kind of way, but...when it came to Glastonbury and convincing the wider public of the quality and validity of metal as a legitimate music form, it seems like most people rallied behind them which is really cool and something that you don't see as much in these more atomised times. And they also played with passion which has been missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

I wasn't out to quote anyone in particular, I don't need to refer to text, I wanted to message you

And typically you haven't the courtesy to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

I think you'll find song 17 is spelled "whiskey in the jar", as opposed to your retarded effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think you'll find song 17 is spelled "whiskey in the jar", as opposed to your retarded effort.

Spelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Whatsgonewrong

Great gig,full of energy!
    Thought Kirk's playing was really tight last night.

I thought kirks playing was very sloppy as usual, cant blame him though with his arrtharitis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I thought kirks playing was very sloppy as usual, cant blame him though with his arrtharitis

I thought he was better than recent. He was a good bit off for the first solo in one, apart from that way better than his standard wah wankery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

http://www.metallicabyrequest.com/results.php?s=61

Interesting outcome :) Looking forward to this now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Fi H wrote: »

Pretty much the same as most other gigs don't you think? No real surprises there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Fi H wrote: »

Interesting? That's the set list from the last 10yrs or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

why is hammet so bad? i mean he has recorded some excellent stuff but live....
    look at tremonti, amazing live but hammet leans on the disguise of the wah and just doesn't deliver?

why is hammet so bad? i mean he has recorded some excellent stuff but live....
    look at tremonti, amazing live but hammet leans on the disguise of the wah and just doesn't deliver?

I don't think he's that bad, he's not a technician guitarist although his style lends him comparisons to that role in which he invariably falls short but this doesn't mean he's overall bad live. Could you imagine Jimmy Page or Brian May playing like Kirk Hammet does live and not making mistakes all over the place yet they are great guitarists.

why is hammet so bad? i mean he has recorded some excellent stuff but live.... look at tremonti, amazing live but hammet leans on the disguise of the wah and just doesn't deliver?

To be fair, if you compare even his best studio stuff from a technical point of view (solos from ajfa imo), it's not a patch on people like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, Buckethead and the other great technical players. It sounds quite sloppy by comparison.

With regard to his playing nowadays, I think he's just getting lazy, and considering he's been at it for 30 years, I don't blame him. he's lived the dream, now is minted, why the hell shouldn't he spend his time surfing or whatever instead of practicing for hours on end every day.

He's actually gotten better the past few years from what I've seen, and he's the reason I ever picked up a guitar in the first place. power to him says I.

i've seen many much more technical guitarists playlive with few mistakes but yeah i reckon he just doesn't practice much any more

Bad was probably too much, sloppy is more accurate

to be fair to him he has nailed some great solos on record, really great fitting melodic stuff.

just i do cringe now and then seeing him live, he's no dave mustaine!:p:p:p

maybe i should get anywhere near as good as him before criticising him though eh?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

As some have said - good on record, average to good player live. I'm not a guitar player, I presume the solo's don't change? So fluffing them is pretty poor, not a fan of his tone either, constant use of the wah wah, tedious. Mustaine wipes the floor of him in every department. Ulrich regularly messes up so he's in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Any of the rimes i have seen them play live,i.e Marley Park,RDS x2,he was way off,...for example the intro to FWTBT,he usually messes this up,but nailed in Glasto.
    He was no way excellent, but imo alot tighter than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i find the nerd shredders like broderick etc totally boring...i'd rather see kirk trying his best than broderick standing there playing with out any effort!!

(i'm not saying broderick doesn't put in effort....but he is so good it looks effortless)

Worryingly and reminding us of that mortal coil .....james was a little sloppy himself during the post intro master of puppets riff he does on his own.

One comment on youtube was quite funny about Hammet's guitar solo during one, comparing it to those vids where some guy overdubs the solo to a given performance really badly. It did sound like one of those vids, the tone I think was wrong for that solo which made things harder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Who knows what their monitor mixes were like! On a stage that size, it's very hard to actually hear what is going on, and the lads would have to rely on good monitor mixes to hear what each other is doing.
    At a festival setting , there's always going to be some jiggery pokery going on from the sound engineers to get things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sure I remember at the last Marley Park gig in 2009, Kirk missed his cue for the One solo, and he managed to recover it, still sounded awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

he always seems to f*ck up the solo just before the last chorus that leads into the heavy chugging bit

seachto7 wrote: »
    Who knows what their monitor mixes were like! On a stage that size, it's very hard to actually hear what is going on, and the lads would have to rely on good monitor mixes to hear what each other is doing.
    At a festival setting , there's always going to be some jiggery pokery going on from the sound engineers to get things right.

if metallica have not got their in ear mixes right there is no hope for anyone!

I'd imagine it's as good as can be!

didn't know the hamster had arthritis? sad to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

When was Kirk diagnosed with arthritis?? First time i'm hearing about this

Kirk probably suffers a bit from kim deal syndrome. He was an aspiring musician and writer but is swallowed up this huge cash cow and has to take a creative backseat and do what he's told. i think he's just going through the motions. James said publicly in the last decade that he and lars are in the fron of the car and rob and kirk are in the back. Which was a bit arseholy although is true.
    Poor oul Kim founder herself in Wales recording a pixies album and legged it before the demo stage!

Lithium93_ wrote:
    When was Kirk diagnosed with arthritis?? First time i'm hearing about this

didn't know the hamster had arthritis? sad to hear that!

he has that thing on his picking hand where he has to wear tape as the strings cut it up, maybe there's confusion over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

he has that thing on his picking hand where he has to wear tape as the strings cut it up, maybe there's confusion over that?

yeah Kirk wears that tape so he doesn't cut his hand.

Best explanation i could find.
    If you look at the side of your hand, right below your pinkie, you'll see there are some wrinkle lines. At least there are on my hand... [laughs] Because of my playing style, I'm constantly hitting the strings and palm muting and, generally, beating up my right hand. Over the course of a tour, those wrinkles start busting open and bleeding. I put tape over the wrinkles so they don't break open and bleed all over my guitar, 'cause if a string gets in there once your hand is cut --wow!--that stings! Plus, it lets me play faster since it reduces drag between my hand and the strings.

I have arthritis and I cannot play metal anymore....I can play other styles and my writing has evolved into a slower style. No more holy wars for me!! So if Kirk has it ...he's doin ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Went to the Rome gig last week. Was lucky enough to get a Golden Circle ticket. Even lucky to catch one of Het's guitar picks :D:D:D

9UMmbRo.jpg?2

Advertisement