Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Guess Glasto was good for business

Black album is No 1 in the Rock/Metal charts (No 3 last week), Puppets is No 6 (26 last week) and Ride is No 10 (36 last week)

New entries in the Top 20 for S&M, Justice and KEA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

scudzilla wrote: »
    Guess Glasto was good for business

Black album is No 1 in the Rock/Metal charts (No 3 last week), Puppets is No 6 (26 last week) and Ride is No 10 (36 last week)

New entries in the Top 20 for S&M, Justice and KEA

Is that in the UK Charts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Metallica doing ESPN skit promo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

nme.com/news/metallica/78732

Possibly why his drumming has slowed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Ulrich says he only began taking cocaine in order to be able to drink more with his bandmates. "In the early days, I'd always get drunk way faster than the other guys," said Ulrich. "I realised that if there was a little bit of cocaine involved I could stay up longer, instead of ending up face down in the corner, passed out three hours before the party ended."

I'm amazed they speak so openly about this, musicians in general

In the article he just said that he read Noel decided to give up the drug and so did he. I mean not everyone does cocaine - at least not to my knowledge - so why was what Noel Gallagher said so important to the drummer from Metallica

I think this article just goes a way to show Ulrich's lack of self confidence in himself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thought I'd throw this in here for any metal heads and Metallica fans miffed by Joan Burton's comments about Metallica fans being trouble makers...

http://www.change.org/petitions/joan-burton-apologise-to-metal-fans-sign-and-share-m#share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

stupidly thought that was going to be about Cliffs ma at first glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

cournioni wrote: »
    Thought I'd throw this in here for any metal heads and Metallica fans miffed by Joan Burton's comments about Metallica fans being trouble makers...

http://www.change.org/petitions/joan-burton-apologise-to-metal-fans-sign-and-share-m#share

I get a small glow of satisfaction that a bunch of middle aged rockers, 30 years into their career, still have the ability to spook the establishment.

Got the same feeling from the Glastonbury protests :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Anyone got a link to what Burton said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm offended by the petition.....if I was at metallica in croke park i'd wreck every gaff from croker to o'connell st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kirk doing things on his own and stressing to the media that metallica NEEDS a new album out soon......mmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

And now for something entirely different!

Odd little documentary about Metallica playing a small Dutch town 30 years ago:

That's a really cool video. Thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

watching through the never now. awesome concert! wish it would sound like that all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

So just to bring up an unrelated topic/thought that I've had. For S&M, they recorded two nights and only released one. I would absolutely love to hear the other nights performance.

Numina wrote: »
    So just to bring up an unrelated topic/thought that I've had. For S&M, they recorded two nights and only released one. I would absolutely love to hear the other nights performance.

I'm pretty sure that the released version is a mix up of the 2 nights, a lot of bands do this when releasing a live album, will play 2/3 nights at one venue and take the best out of it.

Personally i hate it, i'd rather see something from 1 gig, warts and all. The worst thing for me is when a band release a live album (AC/DC Live as an example) and each song is recorded in a different city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah S&M was over 2 nights same setlist, must have made a balls of The Thing That Should Not Be; both nights :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I'm pretty sure that the released version is a mix up of the 2 nights, a lot of bands do this when releasing a live album, will play 2/3 nights at one venue and take the best out of it.

Personally i hate it, i'd rather see something from 1 gig, warts and all. The worst thing for me is when a band release a live album (AC/DC Live as an example) and each song is recorded in a different city

Yeah, I'm fairly sure they took the best of both nights although I don't think it's anywhere in the credits and there's no way to tell from the DVD since they wear the same clothes throughout the concert so they easily could've worn the same clothes both nights for continuity reasons. I'm really interested in hearing the unused performances for all the little differences they would have, like you say, warts and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

S&M also had a fair bit of work done on it in the studio afterwards,particularly drum tracks and vocals.

I hate dvd's of mixed nights and post production work being done afterwards. Their Nimes dvd is the same,Blackened has awesome double bass from Lars that's not consistant with his regular performances(and audience live recording from the same show). It's fake and not indicative of the real show. Give me a pro-shot live recording with LiveMet audio and i'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

in fairness all live albums have been doctored, including the famous lizzy one, it's generally insisted upon by the label.

I would agree a warts and all is better, feels more like you were there but fact is what you don't care about or let slide in the venue on the night can jump out at you when you listen back to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

in fairness all live albums have been doctored, including the famous lizzy one, it's generally insisted upon by the label.

Yes but there's a difference between cleaning up live production and then just lying to the audience

That Lizzy album you speak of is not a live album - only the drums were recorded live, everything else was recorded in the studio, so in that case I would count this as deception - same with Guns N Roses and 'Live Like A Suicide' - if the band tell people it's a live album then it should actually have been recorded live...and in front of a studio audience....IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Kiss Alive is another famous one!

And getting back to Metallica, so are the B-sides to the Jump In The Fire EP.

And getting back to Metallica, so are the B-sides to the Jump In The Fire EP.

yeah, was just gonna post that, recorded live in studio with crowd cheering put on after, see, even at an early age they were pulling the wool over eyes :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nothing interesting to say about the Metallica camp today....but today is Hetfields birthday, 51 today.

If they were on tour he'd be getting cream caked and silly stringed at the end of the show.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Nothing interesting to say about the Metallica camp today....but today is Hetfields birthday, 51 today.

If they were on tour he'd be getting cream caked and silly stringed at the end of the show.

But as they're not on tour he's gonna have to settle for getting cream pie'd by Lars :pac::pac:

Talking of which, anybody remember that scene in SKOM where the guys at HQ host a birthday party for Kirk, and Lars gets all upset cos they never do anything like that for him, i laughed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

But as they're not on tour he's gonna have to settle for getting cream pie'd by Lars :pac::pac:

Talking of which, anybody remember that scene in SKOM where the guys at HQ host a birthday party for Kirk, and Lars gets all upset cos they never do anything like that for him, i laughed

Seen that myself, wasn't that one of the deleted scenes? It was like Kirk's 40th or something.

The fact that Ulrich's birthday is the day after Christmas kind of fecks with anybody doing anything I suppose. Lars was pretty bitter throughout SKOM.

There are some hilarious videos of them all being pie'd during the Death Magnetic tour, there was one good one where they were playing a show in December and was the last night of the show and Kirk corners Lars and Lars just boots it off the stage, with a Kirk and the crew running after him, he only got destroyed with pies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The funniest out take from SKOM was when Bob Rock ran over Lars' foot in a chair with wheels and then Lars got thick with him.

I remember another out take with Hetfield driving around talking about his childhood, it was pretty interesting

Edit: it's on Youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

The funniest out take from SKOM was when Bob Rock ran over Lars' foot in a chair with wheels and then Lars got thick with him.

I remember another out take with Hetfield driving around talking about his childhood, it was pretty interesting

Edit: it's on Youtube

He's a clown in that video. Totally retracted from reality, confined to his mansion for a year, then let loose under surveillance by Peter Menche and handlers ( A bit like Brittney). They don't want to loose millions because James couldn't handle the " Beer drinking weather" anymore". These cúnts are all about how we can work the mother Fúcker to the core, thats what SKOM was about find a bass player and make a few quid.

Now we have the Movie, they made a killing off that, regardless that they spent €20 million producing it. And they made it back.

Well James Hetfield is a poet to me and his lyrics show what he feels, as above, he knows the truth.

From ...and Justice for all, says a lot of truth doesn't it?

Halls of Justice Painted Green (Money managers)
    Money Talking
    Power Wolves Beset Your Door (Peter Menche and his cronies)
    Hear Them Stalking
    Soon You'll Please Their Appetite (Make them plenty of money)
    They Devour (like pigs in a trough)
    Hammer of Justice Crushes You ( you're the money spinner so do what you're told)
    Overpower

The Ultimate in Vanity ( cúnts in suits)
    Exploiting Their Supremacy (living off your work)
    I Can't Believe the Things You Say (Make more , bring Bob in to Fúckit up and sell 100 million shíte albums)
    I Can't Believe
    I Can't Believe the Price You Pay (Mental health)
    Nothing Can Save You

Justice Is Lost
    Justice Is Raped
    Justice is done.

In other words, you're fúcked, they have you by the balls.

• Advertisement

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    He's a clown in that video. Totally retracted from reality, confined to his mansion for a year, then let loose under surveillance by Peter Menche and handlers ( A bit like Brittney). They don't want to loose millions because James couldn't handle the " Beer drinking weather" anymore". These cúnts are all about how we can work the mother Fúcker to the core, thats what SKOM was about find a bass player and make a few quid.

Now we have the Movie, they made a killing off that, regardless that they spent €20 million producing it. And they made it back.

Well James Hetfield is a poet to me and his lyrics show what he feels, as above, he knows the truth.

From ...and Justice for all, says a lot of truth doesn't it?
    Halls of Justice Painted Green (Money managers)
    Money Talking
    Power Wolves Beset Your Door (Peter Menche and his cronies)
    Hear Them Stalking
    Soon You'll Please Their Appetite (Make them plenty of money)
    They Devour (like pigs in a trough)
    Hammer of Justice Crushes You ( you're the money spinner so do what you're told)
    Overpower

The Ultimate in Vanity ( cúnts in suits)
    Exploiting Their Supremacy (living off your work)
    I Can't Believe the Things You Say (Make more , bring Bob in to Fúckit up and sell 100 million shíte albums)
    I Can't Believe
    I Can't Believe the Price You Pay (Mental health)
    Nothing Can Save You

Justice Is Lost
    Justice Is Raped
    Justice is done.

In other words, you're fúcked, they have you by the balls.

Anybody else sing those words Papa Het style in their heads?

Advertisement