Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

so hes a time travelling poet? that travelled to 2003, and then back to the 80s to write ajfa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

D.Q wrote: »
    so hes a time travelling poet? that travelled to 2003, and then back to the 80s to write ajfa?

The point is that his lyrics are made up of what he see's going on around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

Everytime someone calls James "Papa Het" I die a little inside.

deeks wrote: »
    Everytime someone calls James "Papa Het" I die a little inside.

He calls himself that. He started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bang_Bang wrote: »

Rule number one of knicknames - you're not allowed give yourself a knickname.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭deeks

That makes it way worse if you ask me!!!!

deeks wrote: »
    That makes it way worse if you ask me!!!!

I'm on both his twitter accounts, one is Papa_Het and the other is James Hetfield (Papa_Het)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm on both his twitter accounts, one is Papa_Het and the other is James Hetfield (Papa_Het)

I don't think they're him, he had an Instagram account (papa_het) and it was 100% him, had a few good chats with him, then it got out that it was him and he was inundated with clowns, he stopped posting after having some issues (stalker??)

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't think they're him, he had an Instagram account (papa_het) and it was 100% him, had a few good chats with him, then it got out that it was him and he was inundated with clowns, he stopped posting after having some issues (stalker??)

I had his original account all verified by twitter, he replied to me a few times, but he's a recluse, he stopped posting this year. The last question I asked him was "where was the EET FUK guitar from 1989".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I drove one of the trucks on Metallica's 2004 tour of Europe for two months.

I worked for many musicians over the years but Metallica were the the best for a good reason. They always used two complete sets of crew and equipment so that nothing was ever left to chance. Each of the two crews only worked every other gig and had up to a week of between gigs and all time fully paid. No other band I know does this. Metallica look after their crew like no one else, regardless of the expense of hiring twice as many bodies and equipment.

Just thought you'de like to know that.

BTW The worst is Beyoncé. No nights off between gigs, crew continually stressed and gigs cancelled due to nervous breakdowns and trucks arriving late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

great to have you here, now spill!!!!

not dirt. just realities of touring work.

Sounds like professionalism is not as rife in the business as we are lead to believe!

the sheer logistics of a metallica tour in 2004 are staggering, this stuff i find really interesting, i am a discovery channel kind of person.

a show all about the logistics of a tour or a who shagged who? no contest, show me the mechanix ( see what i did there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I only know about the tour bus and truck driving side of the tour. Like every other industry you either have to know someone in the business or work your way up helping out on long drives as an extra driver. Or you can just get lucky like I was: One day I called the truck company who do the trucking for musicians, Trans Am. They said they don't need anyone but they had a big tour going out and if I turned up just in case something went wrong, they would give me 50 quid to hang around till all the trucks left the yard.

Sure enough one of the drivers fell off a truck and broke his leg and I was told to drive to Copenhagen with a truck. Metallica always start their tours in Denmark for obvious reasons but I didn't even know it was Metallica until I got to start driving. I met other drivers on the way who told me a bit about how it all works and on the first night in Denmark I was very privileged to find myself amongst an audience of just a handful of people in one of the side rooms in the Copenhagen stadium listening to Metallica rehearse their opening set.

The band are treated like Gods. No one goes anywhere near them except their security staff who all had the appearance of very big and ugly Hells Angels. Metallica don't even travel in the same limousines together for insurance reasons and minutes before they enter the backstage we are all warned to keep clear of their entrance and route to the dressing rooms. I did get to meet the support bands though, Slipknot and Lost Prophets.

About getting laid... There are a few female staff on the tour, mostly in make up, wardrobe and merchandise but not enough to go round the predominantly male crew. But that proved not to be a problem. I was getting my haircut in Munich, Germany, and told the girl cutting my hair why I was in town and she said she wanted to quit her job and travel with me. I told her to keep her job and I just got her in the backstage for a night.

Working on a tour is highly disciplined, professional and well paid. It's important to work well as a team and the hours are long and the responsibility high. One truck not making it can mean a cancelled show. It's work hard, play hard and everyone is as good as their last f**k up, which will always be remembered and if its bad enough F**k up, you'll never work again. Make it for ten years and you can retire to Florida on the money you make and hear a lot of good (and sometimes crap) music. There is a fantastic atmosphere in the backstage of a big gig that has to be experienced to understand why it becomes so addictive.

cheers Nomis! Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Everglown2

Nice clips!!

This is his twitter account and it's 100% him, it's linked to Metallica.com and he's back posting from the gigs again. He is a bit reclusive, he may post a few bits here and there, and then he won't post for months. Or else he will post from the Papa_Het account

319212.PNG

Scary to think cliff spent so little time in the band compared to Jason and Rob:eek: Rob will outpass Jason soon but he will never be remembered as a real member of Metallica IMO, their on the downward spiral now, the fire in the belly is well gone these days and he was never a part of their savage albums. DM is ok but hetfield tends to shout too much instead of sing on it.

l319341.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Scary to think cliff spent so little time in the band compared to Jason and Rob:eek: Rob will outpass Jason soon but he will never be remembered as a real member of Metallica IMO, their on the downward spiral now, the fire in the belly is well gone these days and he was never a part of their savage albums. DM is ok but hetfield tends to shout too much instead of sing on it.

Rob has been in the band for 11yrs now and recorded 1 studio album, that's just disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

briany wrote: »
    There's a discussion going on @ MetallicaBB about the alternative version of I disappear that got leaked onto Napster in 2000. Supposedly you can't find it online anywhere now. I've never heard it but supposedly it was a demo that had the dynamics flipped (heavier chorus/softer verse). Strange when you consider that it was all over the Internet at one time, and it even had radio play.

A bit late but this appears to be the one.

https://soundcloud.com/whiplashedbmc/i-disappear-napster-era-leak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭KH25

lord lucan wrote: »

Interesting. I think the final version is better. Love the song. Would have loved to hear an album from that time.

Rob has been in the band for 11yrs now and recorded 1 studio album, that's just disgraceful

If Metallica played like this again I'd be happy camper. Not even Rob gets to experience the absolute aggression and fierceness of this EVER.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »

Shíte isn't it? Metallica in their coke and hookers phase, worst phase ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭briany

Listening to Lords of Summer. It's OK, it's catchy enough, but is this what we have to look forward to for the rest of Metallica's career? Fairly generic cookie-cutter riff-O-rama thrash albums? It's not even a throwback at this stage because the technicality of RtL through AJFA is missing. Have they given up pushing any kind of envelope? If Metallica aren't interested in doing anything new-sounding then why even bother put out a new album?

briany wrote: »
    Listening to Lords of Summer. It's OK, it's catchy enough, but is this what we have to look forward to for the rest of Metallica's career? Fairly generic cookie-cutter riff-O-rama thrash albums? It's not even a throwback at this stage because the technicality of RtL through AJFA is missing. Have they given up pushing any kind of envelope? If Metallica aren't interested in doing anything new-sounding then why even bother put out a new album?
    AJFA was complicated, even the JFA, soundtrack, Hetfield was a poet on that album. Regardless, of the omissions in later years by Pantera, Lars and James. I believe pantera, Iron Maiden were píssed off at Lars for not adding the bass to justice. They all admit this these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

AJFA was complicated, even the JFA, soundtrack, Hetfield was a poet on that album. Regardless, of the omissions in later years by Pantera, Lars and James. I believe pantera, Iron Maiden were píssed off at Lars for not adding the bass to justice. They all admit this these days.

Why were pantera and maiden pissed at lars for not adding bass to justice?

Why were pantera and maiden pissed at lars for not adding bass to justice?

Apparently Lars showed AJFA to Pantera and Iron Maiden and AC/DC on the damage tour, monsters of rock. They were still touring and going in and out of the studios, in a book that the guy from Pantera wrote apparently theres a few lines in there that they (Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Pantera ) all listened to AJFA and asked Lars where the bass was? Are you going to release it like that?, as the story goes, "we did that to píss Jason off". Apparently James wanted Jason out after the Japan tour of '86, but Lars told James that there was "no way we could train up a new bass player, so you'll have to just live with it" Apparently Lars took over running of the band after Cliff died.

But I haven't read the book myself so I don't know if it's true or not. Apparently AJFA was almost finished or half written when Cliff died and he actually doesn't get enough credit on AJFA. James wrote all Jasons bass parts too after cliff died. Actually if you listen to the AJFA demos on youtube James sounded like he did on the Puppets album, what the feck happened his voice between the demo in early '87 and recording I'll never know? What's also amazing is that these lads had 4 brilliant albums under their belts at the age of 25.

Just listen below.

Now for something completely different...

Seems kirk recently got his hands on some rock n roll history. Peter Greens, and subsequently Gary Moores 1959 les Paul.

Guitarists among us will know that Peters work on this guitar has got to be one of the most desirable guitar tones in history. What's better is kirk is actually playing it live. Great to see something like this getting the proper usage, and not being hung on some collectors wall to never be played.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/306838-kirk-hammet-greeny.html

thanks for that, of great interest and i am happy he has it, and is gigging it! the way it always lived!

might even hear it on the new album!

Hard to imagine him picking up his emg equipped axes after that and being happy!!!!!

Those lads have been through the search for tone more than anyone with the resources they have, be interesting to hear their opinions after all these years and amps etc.

It's really great to see it getting playing again, from what I can see it was in private hands since 2006, when Gary Moore sold it (link). I really am thrilled to see it getting played again, I really can't say enough how much I love Green's tone during his time in Fleetwood Mac.

I wonder how much Kirk payed for it? Apparently when it went on sale back in '06 the asking price was $2 mil! I} can't find what it went for at the moment though, apparently Jimi's woodstock strat went for less than that (£200k in 1990, though it's rumored it went for over $2mil when sold to Paul Allen), so I doubt it went for that amount in the end, considering Green is less well known than Jimi, and that Strat itself is so iconic.

Edit... What the hell, here's more peter green in his fleetwood mac days, that man could play!! I always think it's such a loss that fleetwood are remembered for their rumors style music when they were cranking out stuff like this previously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

and it was the lowest mix of his career! Imagine hiring Rob and turning him down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

and it was the lowest mix of his career! Imagine hiring Rob and turning him down!!

At least they're treating all the bassists since Cliff equally (badly) :)

Advertisement