Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's what i fcukin love about Live Metallica, i love DC but on there Black Ice tour they hardly changed the set throughout the whole tour

Yeah I thought that was terrible on the part of AC/DC, the same set for a couple years, especially when you consider their back catalogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

must say I'm still listening to death magnetic now... and I love it.

Judas kiss is the best song they've done in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    The World Magnetic tour crossed 45 countries, 143 arena shows, 34 festival shows, 29 stadium shows, 4 club/theater shows, 3 tv/radio shows, 2 hall of fame shows, 3790 songs, and not a single setlist was the same.

You really have to take that into consideration. And Trapped Under Ice being aired on the final night of the tour says it all.

And, more interestingly, you would wonder will Metallica perform some songs live they have never ever performed live before next year (or indeed have only performed once or twice if ever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Did they play The Frayed Ends of Sanity at any stage i wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/metallica-3bd680c8.html?tour=World+Magnetic

1 Master Of Puppets Play Video stats 178

Nothing Else Matters Play Video stats 178

Enter Sandman Play Video stats 178

Seek & Destroy Play Video stats 178

5 Sad But True Play Video stats 177

One Play Video stats 177

7 That Was Just Your Life Play Video stats 165

8 The End Of The Line Play Video stats 144

9 Broken, Beat And Scarred Play Video stats 142

10 The Day That Never Comes Play Video stats 136

11 Cyanide Play Video stats 128

12 All Nightmare Long Play Video stats 88

13 Creeping Death Play Video stats 80

14 For Whom The Bell Tolls Play Video stats 75

15 Fade To Black Play Video stats 65

16 Blackened Play Video stats 57

17 Fight Fire With Fire Play Video stats 53

Harvester Of Sorrow Play Video stats 53

19 Welcome Home (Sanitarium) Play Video stats 43

Ride The Lightning Play Video stats 43

21 Fuel Play Video stats 41

22 Battery Play Video stats 40

23 Stone Cold Crazy (Queen cover) Play Video stats 39

Wherever I May Roam Play Video stats 39

25 Hit The Lights Play Video stats 38

26 Motorbreath Play Video stats 36

My Apocalypse Play Video stats 36

28 Whiplash Play Video stats 34

29 The Four Horsemen Play Video stats 30

Last Caress (Misfits cover) Play Video stats 30

The Judas Kiss Play Video stats 30

32 The Unforgiven Play Video stats 28

Die, Die My Darling (Misfits cover) Play Video stats 28

34 Turn The Page (Bob Seger cover) Play Video stats 27

35 No Remorse Play Video stats 26

36 Damage Inc. Play Video stats 24

37 The Memory Remains Play Video stats 23

Holier Than Thou Play Video stats 23

39 Breadfan (Budgie cover) Play Video stats 22

40 Phantom Lord Play Video stats 20

41 Dyers Eve Play Video stats 18

42 Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover) Play Video stats 17

Helpless (Diamond Head cover) Play Video stats 17

44 Of Wolf And Man Play Video stats 16

Trapped Under Ice Play Video stats 16

46 ...And Justice for All Play Video stats 14

47 No Leaf Clover Play Video stats 13

Disposable Heroes Play Video stats 13

49 Through The Never Play Video stats 12

Leper Messiah Play Video stats 12

51 Blitzkrieg (Blitzkrieg cover) Play Video stats 11

52 The Shortest Straw Play Video stats 10

53 The Thing That Should Not Be Play Video stats 9

54 The Unforgiven III Play Video stats 7

55 Orion Play Video stats 6

The Wait (Killing Joke cover) Play Video stats 6

Too Late, Too Late (Motörhead cover) Play Video stats 6

58 I Disappear Play Video stats 5

The Prince (Diamond Head cover) Play Video stats 5

Killing Time (Sweet Savage cover) Play Video stats 5

Jump In The Fire Play Video stats 5

62 Until It Sleeps Play Video stats 4

63 Overkill (Motörhead cover) Play Video stats 3

The Outlaw Torn Play Video stats 3

65 The God That Failed Play Video stats 2

So What (Anti-Nowhere League cover) Play Video stats 2

Bleeding Me Play Video stats 2

68 Hole In The Sky (Black Sabbath cover) Play Video stats 1

Green Hell (Misfits cover) Play Video stats 1

King Nothing Play Video stats 1

The Small Hours (Holocaust cover) Play Video stats 1

Damage Case (Motörhead cover) Play Video stats 1

The Ecstasy of Gold (Ennio Morricone cover) Play Video stats 1

Suicide & Redemption Play Video stats 1

Frantic Play Video stats 1

Whiskey In The Jar (Thin Lizzy cover) Play Video stats 1

The Call of Ktulu Play Video stats 1

Motorcycle Man (Saxon cover) Play Video stats 1

Stone Dead Forever (Motörhead cover) Play Video stats 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Degag wrote: »
    Did they play The Frayed Ends of Sanity at any stage i wonder?

Nope,a short jam of the intro was the nearest they ever got. Like this:

Just something I found while on YouTube, kind of forgot that he had been drafted in following James accident. I believe he also replaced James in 1986 after a skateboarding accident...and played onstage with Cliff....but there is no footage of that, that I am aware of, in existence

Just something I found while on YouTube, kind of forgot that he had been drafted in following James accident. I believe he also replaced James in 1986 after a skateboarding accident...and played onstage with Cliff....but there is no footage of that, that I am aware of, in existence

I think Marshall played on Cliff's last tour, in the UK at least. He was a Roadie for the band, but when he covered rhythm after James got burnt i think he was a guitarist with Armored Saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I think Marshall played on Cliff's last tour, in the UK at least. He was a Roadie for the band, but when he covered rhythm after James got burnt i think he was a guitarist with Armored Saint

He played on the Master of Puppets tour when James broke his arm in a skateboarding accident and then again on the Black Album tour after he got burned. As far as I can remember, he was in Metal Church!

Kevski wrote: »
    He played on the Master of Puppets tour when James broke his arm in a skateboarding accident and then again on the Black Album tour after he got burned. As far as I can remember, he was in Metal Church!

That's the one, i stand corrected, Metal Church

• Advertisement

Been some time since i've heard Battery played like this

Just heard rumours from the MetClub and their insiders tonight that Metallica have already started planning their tour for next year in regards to their anniversary shows, Canada looks to be getting two shows, with one in Quebec at least. Other than that the information is sketchy at best.

More as it develops. Hopefully it turns out to be true!

Since the Black album was originally released in September, and Metallica's first gig was in April time I would look towards that kind of time frame to see concerts performed, maybe end of the Summer if we are very lucky. Tickets may go on sale, knowing promoters, around February or March
    Metallica are planning a tour in 2011 which their manager claims will rival Pink Floyd's 1980-1981 'The Wall' tour, it has been revealed.

Manager Peter Mensch revealed that the band are currently working on ideas for the tour, which will see then play in 10 cities worldwide. No dates have been announced yet.
    Although Mensch did offer fans a clue of what they might expect saying they should hunt down YouTube clips of opera singer Renée Fleming, who appeared on the soundtrack of The Lord Of The Rings singing in the made up language of Sindarin.

“Between you and me, some of it is recycling stuff that people did 25 years ago but no one's smart enough to know that we recycled it,” the manager said.

Also, a female tribute band to Metallica announced another UK tour in 2011

231110_js_misstallica.jpg
    Formed in 2008 by Kaleen Reading and Gina Randazzo, the tribute band have been gathering up fans and even have Metallica themselves as friends on their myspace page. They also have Queen Diamond as friends, which is their other tribute band, to King Diamond. These girls love the metal, yes they do.

Reading and Randazzo got together after Reading decided she wanted to get some music in her life and posted an ad in a paper called ‘The Incinerator’, asking for a fellow metal-heavy chick rocker. With the later additions of Gigi Gleason, Allie Thrower and Teddi Tarnoff, they were good to go.

You can catch them on the following UK dates:

Tue 17th May 2011 - O2 Academy2 Sheffield, Sheffield (£8.00)
    Thu 19th May 2011 - O2 ABC2 Glasgow, Glasgow (£8.00)
    Sun 22nd May 2011 - O2 Academy3 Birmingham,, Birmingham (£8.00)
    Wed 25th May 2011 - O2 Academy2 Bristol, Bristol (£8.00)
    Thu 26th May 2011 - Old Fire Station, Bournemouth, Bournemouth (£8.00)
    Fri 27th May 2011 - O2 Academy2 Islington, London (£8.00)
    Sat 28th May 2011 - O2 Academy2 Oxford, Oxford (£8.00)

Just heard rumours from the MetClub and their insiders tonight that Metallica have already started planning their tour for next year in regards to their anniversary shows, Canada looks to be getting two shows, with one in Quebec at least. Other than that the information is sketchy at best.

More as it develops. Hopefully it turns out to be true!

Since the Black album was originally released in September, and Metallica's first gig was in April time I would look towards that kind of time frame to see concerts performed, maybe end of the Summer if we are very lucky. Tickets may go on sale, knowing promoters, around February or March

Sounds about right, first 6 months off, with maybe a bit of studio time thrown in, then a small tour, as Rio De Janeiro already been announced for Sept. Couldn't see them coming out just for the Rio show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's the one, i stand corrected, Metal Church

You were getting confused with Anthrax I think. Yer man John Bush who sang with them was in Armored Saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's what i fcukin love about Live Metallica, i love DC but on there Black Ice tour they hardly changed the set throughout the whole tour

I don't get this thing with people saying Tallica always change their sets. They play the same relatively smaller pool of songs so if you see like 3 gigs (or just setlists) you're not gonna get much of a surprise. They still rely too much on Sandman/One/Puppets/Nothing.

Mushy wrote: »
    They still rely too much on Sandman/One/Puppets/Nothing.

Problem is,for every 5,000 fans who've been to a number of shows and are sick of hearing them songs there's another 5,000 who are at their first Metallica show and would go home disappointed because they didn't hear them.

It'd be like me finally getting to see Anthrax live and then they don't play 'Caught in a Mosh'. I'd be gutted.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Problem is,for every 5,000 fans who've been to a number of shows and are sick of hearing them songs there's another 5,000 who are at their first Metallica show and would go home disappointed because they didn't hear them.

It'd be like me finally getting to see Anthrax live and then they don't play 'Caught in a Mosh'. I'd be gutted.

Yeah know that point alright. At least time in Marlay they didn't put them all in the one block together, think that was only surprise for me.

You'd wonder do they like playing those songs every night though, or would they prefer an album track or two instead. Not that they'd declare things into the public.

Yeah know that point alright. At least time in Marlay they didn't put them all in the one block together, think that was only surprise for me.

You'd wonder do they like playing those songs every night though, or would they prefer an album track or two instead. Not that they'd declare things into the public.

I actually reckon they do like playing them. I usually go for a slash when NEM comes on and get back in time for Sandman and every venue i've been too has seen the loudest roar of the night when the intro to Sandman is played.

While the hardcore fans would shoot their load if they played 'Frayed ends of Sanity' most of the crowd would probably go for a pint or a smoke.

What are all your Favourite/Worst Metallica shows you've been to and why??

My fav's are

1. 100 Club, Oxford Street, London, August '87

A warm up show for Donington, was so fcukin hot in there, found out about it the day before and went down on the hope of getting a ticket, queued outside from 6am, fcukin awesome. Was in the pit at front and at one point Scotty Ian (Anthrax) went flying over me head :D

Some video here, pretty poor quality but it ws fcukin nuts

2. G-Mex, Manchester on The Black Tour

They were just on fire, opened up with 'Of Wolf and Man' which was a rarity but fcukin amazing

3. Download, Second stage, 2003

Wasn't going to that years Download but found out 3 days before they'd be playing a surprise gig, Left home in Wales at 11am, got there at 1.30, straight to second stage, 2ft from front, was just awesome seeing them up close after all the problems and doubts that i'd ever see them live again.
    Evanescene, who were playing on the main stage at the time must have played to around 10,000 as everybody else was tryin to cram into the tent

This is the only video of that gig, the opener Blackened

The worst

1. Dynamo Festival, Holland 1999

The whole weekend was awesome butthey just didn't do it for me, seemed like they were just going through the motions and were content with picking up the rumoured $250,000 they got for appearing.

2. Pukkelpop, Belgium 1997

Again, they just seemed to be going through the motions, seemed only about 20% of the crowd were arsed with them. Awesome festival again though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't get this thing with people saying Tallica always change their sets. They play the same relatively smaller pool of songs so if you see like 3 gigs (or just setlists) you're not gonna get much of a surprise. They still rely too much on Sandman/One/Puppets/Nothing.

Considering the songs mentioned, Metallica not playing those would be a huge disappointment to a lot of fans. Those songs are almost compulsory. Not saying that not playing them would be really bad because there are lot of songs that metallica can replace them with that are just as good, but those songs are their most prized songs.

But saying that, ignoring the songs that are played regularly, they do tend to change their setlist. I mean Marley 2009 was different to Marley 2008 and I believe Marley 2006 was different also, but I wasn't at the 2006 gig I only heard it from my friends.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    But saying that, ignoring the songs that are played regularly, they do tend to change their setlist. I mean Marley 2009 was different to Marley 2008 and I believe Marley 2006 was different also, but I wasn't at the 2006 gig I only heard it from my friends.

Straight off the top of my head, I think RDS 06 was almost a combo of 03 and 04, bar playing Puppets in full. I skipped Marlay 08 cos saw them in Holland earlier in year, so guessed would be very similar....think I turned out to be right.

I think a band of that size could easily learn a higher number of songs to use in rotation on a tour. Thats not meant in a belittling way either.

I think my favourite show was in Dublin in 2006, because they played the entire Master of Puppets and because Jerry Cantrel sang 'Nothing Else Matters' and they also played 'God That Failed' which was excellent. Totally on form. I loved that show. Alice In Chains and Stone Sour in support too.

Also liked seeing them indoors, in Sheffield, travelling half way across the UK to see them, and seeing them do a lot from Death Magnetic - more than they did in Dublin 2009, and in Sheffield they had better support overall for me (Machine Head and The Sword)

My worst, well, I haven't been to a bad Metallica gig - but 2004 doesn't stand out for me at all (again in Dublin), don't know why, maybe because I'd seen them in 2003 and it was just over a year later and there wasn't any massive change in their set....and the support act, Slipknot, were more exciting in 45 minutes than Metallica were on the day (for me personally)

They still rely too much on Sandman/One/Puppets/Nothing.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing a show where they didn't play those tracks, but it would have to be a really small exclusive club show or something in a basement somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

To be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing a show where they didn't play those tracks, but it would have to be a really small exclusive club show or something in a basement somewhere

Saw them in London in 2008 when they didn't play Sandman or NEM. It left them with space to add in some rarities like Jump In The Fire, Of Wolf And Man, Frantic and The Thing That Should Not Be which were all pretty awesome :D

Kevski wrote: »
    Saw them in London in 2008 when they didn't play Sandman or NEM. It left them with space to add in some rarities like Jump In The Fire, Of Wolf And Man, Frantic and The Thing That Should Not Be which were all pretty awesome :D

That's great, I mean if you have seen the band more than twice, that is what you start hoping for. I have seen them five times (so far) and I've yet to be disappointed by their set and I've yet to see the same set twice. In fact, there are songs I've heard once (God That Failed in 2006, The Wait in 2009) that either have rarely, if ever, been played since and songs I can relate to that specific set

I've seen Machine Head 5 times and their set list has never been as vibrant for some reason - even though it's changed

But I'd love to see a small club show, with about 1,000 people, that would be the kind of gig that would be phenomenal - even more so than Metallica already are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lamb_of_God

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Oh FFS.

There is more music out there than fcukin Metallica.

Mods,would it be possible to have a Metallica super thread where everything can be stored.Its a near weekly thing at this stage that some inane thread is started about them,enough is enough surely.

Here ****in Here!!:confused:

I think my favourite show was in Dublin in 2006, because they played the entire Master of Puppets and because Jerry Cantrel sang 'Nothing Else Matters' and they also played 'God That Failed' which was excellent. Totally on form. I loved that show. Alice In Chains and Stone Sour in support too.

Also liked seeing them indoors, in Sheffield, travelling half way across the UK to see them, and seeing them do a lot from Death Magnetic - more than they did in Dublin 2009, and in Sheffield they had better support overall for me (Machine Head and The Sword)

My worst, well, I haven't been to a bad Metallica gig - but 2004 doesn't stand out for me at all (again in Dublin), don't know why, maybe because I'd seen them in 2003 and it was just over a year later and there wasn't any massive change in their set....and the support act, Slipknot, were more exciting in 45 minutes than Metallica were on the day (for me personally)

Dublin 2006, Fcukin sweet gig, Pity Korn dropped tho!! Stone sour kicked ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Here ****in Here!!:confused:
    Is there a reason why you quoted a post from the beginning of this thread? Is it suddenly somehow of relevance over six months later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

just finished mick walls metallica biography, was a good read from the perspective of a man who knew them to a degree.
    Was a bit short on dealing with jason newstead at all, was like the author had developed the same disdain towards him that the band had.

would recommend it to any fan though, very easy reading unlike another book i got years ago that was insanely detailed about every release they ever had catalog numbers etc.

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    Is there a reason why you quoted a post from the beginning of this thread? Is it suddenly somehow of relevance over six months later?

Knitpicker!

Advertisement