Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

briany wrote: »
    If they were that disappointed, they could have all just returned the CD and Metallica would have been left with egg on their face. That didn't happen, though. Whatever you think about St. Anger, it hasn't been a forgotten album. People still talk about it, good, bad, or indifferent.
    Have you ever returned vinyl or a cd back to a record store because you were disappointed with the contents?
    Fans wanted it to be good, it was just a very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

I think there was some post production tweaking going on there. It happens on a lot of live albums - each instrument is recorded to a separate track and then mistakes, flubs and off key moments are edited out/overdubbed in a similar fashion to a normal studio recording. Either that or it's the cleanest performance Metallica had ever done.

If they were that disappointed, they could have all just returned the CD and Metallica would have been left with egg on their face. That didn't happen, though. Whatever you think about St. Anger, it hasn't been a forgotten album. People still talk about it, good, bad, or indifferent.

I bought it off iTunes, so it can't be returned, I bought it as part of the metallica collection release so it feels nice to have everything they have from 1982 up to 2009. Well worth €103 for all the other extra live stuff that's on it, hit the lights live from paris is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭briany

Have you ever returned vinyl or a cd back to a record store because you were disappointed with the contents?
    Fans wanted it to be good, it was just a very poor.

I haven't ever returned a CD, no, but I've always held fire on such a purchase 'til I had a decent idea of what I was getting, hence avoiding the possibility of disappointment.

It was a poor album in the sense that it deviated significantly from what fans wanted at the time. It pi**ed off a lot of people, but Metallica have been routinely pi**ing off their fans since they made that video for One. St. Anger is probably the ugliest album Metallica have ever done, but it was in that ugliness that Metallica had a way to have a catharsis for all the s**t they'd been dealing with for the years leading up to the album. The subjects and sounds are presented in a pretty unvarnished fashion and the album is a bit of a sonic assault from start to finish and can be hard to take in. Was it their best album? No way. Was it their worst album? Maybe. Was it the album they needed to make at the time? Absolutely.

I haven't ever returned a CD, no, but I've always held fire on such a purchase 'til I had a decent idea of what I was getting, hence avoiding the possibility of disappointment.

It was a poor album in the sense that it deviated significantly from what fans wanted at the time. It pi**ed off a lot of people, but Metallica have been routinely pi**ing off their fans since they made that video for One. St. Anger is probably the ugliest album Metallica have ever done, but it was in that ugliness that Metallica had a way to have a catharsis for all the s**t they'd been dealing with for the years leading up to the album. The subjects and sounds are presented in a pretty unvarnished fashion and the album is a bit of a sonic assault from start to finish and can be hard to take in. Was it their best album? No way. Was it their worst album? Maybe. Was it the album they needed to make at the time? Absolutely.

I think your right, the crux of it is, this was the first sober album made by James Hetfield and he was "learning how to do it" without beer, it was a release of his emotions at that time and it was awful. One of my friends quite likes it, he did say it took months of listening to St Anger to get to that. I wouldn't give it that kind of dedication.

When AJFA came out, I was like "what the fúck happened to the sound", but after listening to it once I was hooked and forgot about the low bass. St Anger is just really poor, every song.

DM is where they really started to get back to it.

I see someone updated the Metallica wiki "new album 2015"

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    I think your right, the crux of it is, this was the first sober album made by James Hetfield and he was "learning how to do it" without beer, it was a release of his emotions at that time and it was awful. One of my friends quite likes it, he did say it took months of listening to St Anger to get to that. I wouldn't give it that kind of dedication.

When AJFA came out, I was like "what the fúck happened to the sound", but after listening to it once I was hooked and forgot about the low bass. St Anger is just really poor, every song.

DM is where they really started to get back to it.

I see someone updated the Metallica wiki "new album 2015"

While I enjoyed Death Magnetic, I also found it disappointing in that it was a re-hash in many ways. An attempt to get back to something they had done previously. It was accepted by the majority of their fan base but Metallica were always about p**sing people off, either people's parents with the first four albums or their fans with their next four (original) studio albums. What I heard on DM was a lot of cool riffage, some of it copy and paste (we'll put riff A9 with riff 17K!), frenetic solos that were fast and aggressive but saying very little in the musical sense, plus lyrics that sounded cool but didn't actually *say* a whole lot either, the exceptions being maybe That was just your Life and Unforgiven III. It's an album you could put on in your car and enjoy but you wouldn't spend much time thinking about.

In a way maybe St. Anger's worst legacy is that it was a part of the process of Hetfield truly purging the issues that had affected his life but also given him fuel for so many great lyrics. What's he got to say now?

• Advertisement

While I enjoyed Death Magnetic, I also found it disappointing in that it was a re-hash in many ways. An attempt to get back to something they had done previously. It was accepted by the majority of their fan base but Metallica were always about p**sing people off, either people's parents with the first four albums or their fans with their next four (original) studio albums. What I heard on DM was a lot of cool riffage, some of it copy and paste (we'll put riff A9 with riff 17K!), frenetic solos that were fast and aggressive but saying very little in the musical sense, plus lyrics that sounded cool but didn't actually *say* a whole lot either, the exceptions being maybe That was just your Life and Unforgiven III. It's an album you could put on in your car and enjoy but you wouldn't spend much time thinking about.

In a way maybe St. Anger's worst legacy is that it was a part of the process of Hetfield truly purging the issues that had affected his life but also given him fuel for so many great lyrics. What's he got to say now?

The higher you are, the harder you fall, when you make 5 savage albums, sell out stadiums, that's what is expected from you forever more.

Then at some stage family takes over, don't forget, the first 5 albums were made before they were 27. Amazing feat for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe men in their 50s just don't want to play heavy metal anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

seachto7 wrote: »

Unless it's in front of Pingu and his flightless friends.

seachto7 wrote: »

I think they must do considering they've all been around 50+ for the last couple of years and still opt to play an increasingly nostalgic set, as well as give fairly strong indication through Lords of Summer that they intend to carry on with the direction set by Death Magnetic, which was pretty much a metal album.

I think they must do considering they've all been around 50+ for the last couple of years and still opt to play an increasingly nostalgic set, as well as give fairly strong indication through Lords of Summer that they intend to carry on with the direction set by Death Magnetic, which was pretty much a metal album.

I do think that part of the ongoing touring, Movie, Orion music festival etc... Is still part of Hetfields purging process. If he wasn't doing it, he would have to be doing something constructive with his time and money, something that gets you out of the bed in the morning. He did say in an interview (I think it was the absent fathers interview?) that when he wakes up in the morning the old James is metaphorically sitting on the end of the bed saying "C'mon let's f*ck up today and go on the píss" or something to that effect.

He needs Metallica to keep him on the straight and narrow. But I do feel the new album will follow DM going on lords of summer. I don't know about you guys but I could definitely hear KEA and AJFA influence in that song when it was played live, particularly when kirk was doing his solo it sounded like AJFA, maybe it's just me?

• Advertisement

I do think that part of the ongoing touring, Movie, Orion music festival etc... Is still part of Hetfields purging process. If he wasn't doing it, he would have to be doing something constructive with his time and money, something that gets you out of the bed in the morning. He did say in an interview (I think it was the absent fathers interview?) that when he wakes up in the morning the old James is metaphorically sitting on the end of the bed saying "C'mon let's f*ck up today and go on the píss" or something to that effect.

He needs Metallica to keep him on the straight and narrow. But I do feel the new album will follow DM going on lords of summer. I don't know about you guys but I could definitely hear KEA and AJFA influence in that song when it was played live, particularly when kirk was doing his solo it sounded like AJFA, maybe it's just me?

It's a bit weird when you hear Metallica members say they get a bit bored and restless when not on the road. I mean, I know they love touring, but if you're James Hetfield, with the money, fame and influence you'd have, you could easily have a packed day every day of the week for the rest of your life, if you wanted it, and never think about booze. Or you could just hang out with your family and never have to do anything again. Hetfield could operate a classic car shop, Hammett could operate a surf shack or horror movie studio, Ulrich could be an antiques/art dealer and Trujillo could turn his amazing musicality/versatility to a whole bunch of side projects.

It's a bit weird when you hear Metallica members say they get a bit bored and restless when not on the road. I mean, I know they love touring, but if you're James Hetfield, with the money, fame and influence you'd have, you could easily have a packed day every day of the week for the rest of your life, if you wanted it, and never think about booze. Or you could just hang out with your family and never have to do anything again. Hetfield could operate a classic car shop, Hammett could operate a surf shack or horror movie studio, Ulrich could be an antiques/art dealer and Trujillo could turn his amazing musicality/versatility to a whole bunch of side projects.

Well, Kirk is doing that, and James is getting more and more geared towards racing, so maybe that's what will become of it. Metallica just seems to be his particular release. He is on record saying that when his wife notices him getting bored and edgy, she sends him packing to Metallica HQ to play music, or to the basement or something and then he's apparently fine after an hour or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hetfield should play and record music with others, it would be very good for him.
    in fact it would be good for the band.

him and tremonti should do an album together, lombardo on drums, rob halford on vocals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

hetfield should play and record music with others, it would be very good for him.

him and tremonti should do an album together, lombardo on drums, rob halford on vocals

FFS, we can't even get a Metallica album and you want him to go do an album wit someone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah, and maybe they should go on another tour to cleanse whatever demons they have from not being on the road. Isn't the real reason for their excessive touring because they claim they can't support their lifestyles on their royalty cheques anymore?

scudzilla wrote: »
    FFS, we can't even get a Metallica album and you want him to go do an album wit someone else?

yes. yes i do.

he is in a rut, it would probably give him the inspiration to write well again.

Play with a drummer that he doesn't have to have the patience of job with.

someone like tremonti would have the skills to challenge him riffwise

or even feck off and do a country album with John5!

Yeah, and maybe they should go on another tour to cleanse whatever demons they have from not being on the road. Isn't the real reason for their excessive touring because they claim they can't support their lifestyles on their royalty cheques anymore?

that would be a surprise, can't see them having financed that movie themselves if things were that tight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

someone like tremonti would have the skills to challenge him riffwise

Or Dave Mustaine :eek:

Probably, James needs something to do, Kirk and Lars are the most vocal and píssed off about the royalty stuff, Kirk is the one with the $40,000 per month ranch, he pays that for the security and upkeep and butlers when he's not around. James said before he's enough money and doesn't need any of that bar the security.

You would think James and Kirk would get their houses removed from google maps if they were that paranoid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Kirk is the one with the $40,000 per month ranch, he pays that for the security and upkeep and butlers when he's not around.

Butlers?! LOL! :pac:

Out of curiousity what is the split like in the band in relation to royalties? Would James and Lars take home more than Kirk?

• Advertisement

Butlers?! LOL! :pac:

Out of curiousity what is the split like in the band in relation to royalties? Would James and Lars take home more than Kirk?

James and Lars are worth 175 million, kirk has a measly 70 million and Rob has 15 million. Jason purged 40 million for his troubles, good lad Jason.

EDIT. Jason reminded us in a recent scuzz interview that the black album still sells 1 milllion per year, so the money just flows into his bank account, along with all the other stuff, binge and purge has sold 25 million copies to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

70 million?

In that case Kirk can easily afford his ranch along with his butlers, and needs to quit whining.

70 million?

In that case Kirk can easily afford his ranch along with his butlers, and needs to quit whining.

Did you see the article about him being píssed off about the sanfrancisco home not selling for millions more, just because "he" lived in it. He bought it for 10 million and only got 12 million. "Thought I was worth more than that man, China Beach lets go surfing"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Riddle101

How is Kirk only worth 70 million when he's been with the band for as long as James and Lars. Is it because James and Lars are the bosses so they get more money? I would have thought Kirk would at least be in the $100 million bracket by now.

How much is Dave Mustaine worth out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Riddle101 wrote: »
    How is Kirk only worth 70 million when he's been with the band for as long as James and Lars. Is it because James and Lars are the bosses so they get more money? I would have thought Kirk would at least be in the $100 million bracket by now.

Writing credits. Pre St Anger James and Lars had credits on all songs. From St Anger on eeverything was split 4 ways.

Riddle101 wrote: »

50 million, not bad for a guy who still cries about not being part of the metallica machine. Then again, Dave doesn't have band mates, he has hired hands and minions ,or so he says.

Writing credits. Pre St Anger James and Lars had credits on all songs. From St Anger on eeverything was split 4 ways.

I believe there is some money filtering back to Ray Burton, this is why he has been so supportive, appaently James promised all cliffs royalties back to Ray, so he shows up at the gigs and aneverseries etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I believe there is some money filtering back to Ray Burton, this is why he has been so supportive, appaently James promised all cliffs royalties back to Ray, so he shows up at the gigs and aneverseries etc...

Even if James didn't promise them, there would be nothing stopping Ray getting them. Cliff's entitled to royalties for his work on the first 3 albums and I don't think legally James or anyone could stop Cliff's estate from getting them after his death.

James : Lars, let's split royalties with the guys four ways from now on.

Lars : S**t, why not? We both know this album's gonna sell f**k all anyway!!

*Both throw heads back in laughter*

• Advertisement

Even if James didn't promise them, there would be nothing stopping Ray getting them. Cliff's entitled to royalties for his work on the first 3 albums and I don't think legally James or anyone could stop Cliff's estate from getting them after his death.

I think you're right here, it means that cliff has probably earned a few quid from the movie.

Advertisement