Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Knitpicker!
    So you don't have a reason for quoting that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lamb_of_God

why do you care? Don't have anything nice to say no?
    well then don't bother.like i said knitpicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

just finished mick walls metallica biography, was a good read from the perspective of a man who knew them to a degree.
    Was a bit short on dealing with jason newstead at all, was like the author had developed the same disdain towards him that the band had.

I've read better books, Mick Wall strikes me as an arrogant ****, and his collection of interviews book (the name of which escapes me) is nothing short of him saying before each one "ha ha I got to go to Brazil and see Iron Maiden and YOU didn't!"

To be fairly honest, I've never considered him a good Journalist, just a lucky one who was in the right place - and era - at the right time. He always sounds like someone who wanted to be a rock star himself and just missed short so he made up for it with music Journalism.

And his hatred, or supposed hatred, of Jason is perhaps due to his belief that Jason should never have left Metallica or been the one to replace Cliff (both personal beliefs which he should leave outside the text)

I think 'To Live Is To Die' and 'The Truth About Metallica' are too excellent books you should read, at least in the latter the author acknowledges that his bias may show through and makes an effort to repress it in every chapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I've read better books, Mick Wall strikes me as an arrogant ****, and his collection of interviews book (the name of which escapes me) is nothing short of him saying before each one "ha ha I got to go to Brazil and see Iron Maiden and YOU didn't!"

To be fairly honest, I've never considered him a good Journalist, just a lucky one who was in the right place - and era - at the right time. He always sounds like someone who wanted to be a rock star himself and just missed short so he made up for it with music Journalism.

And his hatred, or supposed hatred, of Jason is perhaps due to his belief that Jason should never have left Metallica or been the one to replace Cliff (both personal beliefs which he should leave outside the text)

I think 'To Live Is To Die' and 'The Truth About Metallica' are too excellent books you should read, at least in the latter the author acknowledges that his bias may show through and makes an effort to repress it in every chapter
    just finished mick walls metallica biography, was a good read from the perspective of a man who knew them to a degree.
    Was a bit short on dealing with jason newstead at all, was like the author had developed the same disdain towards him that the band had.

would recommend it to any fan though, very easy reading unlike another book i got years ago that was insanely detailed about every release they ever had catalog numbers etc.

Mick Wall, is he the guy that wrote that Appetite for Destruction book, cause I remember looking at it there last week and thinking was t worth buying.

The Truth About Metallica was Such a fantastic book, and great to hear his perspective as a fan of Metallica himself, although I disagreed with some of the stuff he wrote but great insight nonetheless, especially talking about Cliff Burton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

why do you care? Don't have anything nice to say no?
    well then don't bother.like i said knitpicker
    Okay you appear to be a new user on this forum so I'll cut you a bit of slack this once. I care because I'm curious why someone would bother taking something from ages ago and quote it. That post is of little or no relevance and quoting it adds nothing to the discussion. It's a remnant from the slightly messed up thread merge that I did in order to get the super thread started :).

I should probably delete it but then nedtheshed might get on my case about censorship :pac:.

Now, here's a friendly warning: Don't try to tell me or any other posters what to do and don't call me or any other posters names or you won't last very long on this forum. If you want to discuss this further, feel free to PM me. Let's not take this thread further off-topic.

• Advertisement

Dublin 2006, Fcukin sweet gig, Pity Korn dropped tho!! Stone sour kicked ass!

Excellent performance, and probably my favourite Metallica performance of all time by Metallica, I think to not only come out and perform the entire Master of Puppets album - but also to play such live rarities and classics before and after, made it a fantastically memorable night.

01. Ecstacy Of Gold
    02. Creeping Death
    03. Fuel
    04. Wherever I May Roam
    05. The Unforgiven
    06. The God That Failed
    07. Battery
    08. Master Of Puppets
    09. The Thing That Should Not Be
    10. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    11. Disposable Heroes
    12. Leper Messiah
    13. Orion
    14. Damage, Inc.
    15. Sad But True
    16. Enter Sandman
    17. One
    18. Nothing Else Matters
    19. Whiskey In The Jar
    20. Seek And Destroy

And it was great to see them touring a fantastic album like Master of Puppets since I'd of been in nappies when they first toured it.

Sonisphere UK is set to announce it's first "mind blowing headline act" at 11am today. The announcement will also proceed ticket sales which are expected to be on sale at 9am on Monday.

Sonisphere UK have confirmed they will be adopting a deposit scheme on tickets for the 3rd year running.

The headliners for the festival were expected to be announced at 6pm on Monday, but this has been pushed forward, possibly due to T In The Park rumours....we don't know!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Slipknot are playing Sonisphere. No Metallica...yet

feylya wrote: »
    Slipknot are playing Sonisphere. No Metallica...yet

Yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Pretty cool version. Under rated album too. I'd love if they released a live dvd without the usual suspects on the setlist (seek and destroy, sandman, one, sad but true etc). Stuff like the above link would be great to have, as Cunning Stunts has most of the good uns on it already....bar the DM stuff....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Absolutely loved when they played Outlaw in the O2 in London. One of my favourite songs.

Have they ever played The House That Jack Built live? I can't remember hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    Have they ever played The House That Jack Built live? I can't remember hearing it.

Never been played live,just jammed on in the tuning room on a few occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Out of the 8 times I've seen them live my 3 favorites have been

Dublin in '06 when they played MOP in full...for obvious reasons:D also queued from 6am to get into the pit.

Next was at Rock Am Ring in '08. Was a great setlist where they played RTL, Harvester, No remorse, Devil's Dance, ...AJFA, Whiplash and Motorbreath. I also managed to crowd surf from a fair bit back to the gap between the pit and the rest of the crowd and then blagged my way into the pit cause I had an Irish flag as a cape!:D:D

The 3rd of my favorites was Belfast this year, my first time seeing them indoors and the standing area was so close to the stage. Completely different experience getting to see them indoors and in the round!

Honorable mention goes to Download in '04 when Lars got sick, got to hear Dave Lombardo drum for Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Carl.Gustav

given how disgracefully metallica have treated their fans over the years I don't think it's possible to be both a metallica fan and a metal fan.

The only metallica 'fans' left are posuers.

Yea I'm a metal fan - who do you like, uh metallica cause it's the only band I can name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

given how disgracefully metallica have treated their fans over the years I don't think it's possible to be both a metallica fan and a metal fan.

The only metallica 'fans' left are posuers.

Yea I'm a metal fan - who do you like, uh metallica cause it's the only band I can name

Awesome, a troll to play with.

Your post is retarded on so many levels, I'm a Metallica fan and also a metal fan, not a poseur either.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Awesome, a troll to play with.

Your post is retarded on so many levels, I'm a Metallica fan and also a metal fan, not a poseur either.

Not a troll

If a group having made their millions sets out to persecute their fans for more cash then it's pretty clear all they are interested in is the money and not the music.

So yea you go ahead and feed the beast your cash and feel good about it

because they are laughing at you.

hard.

Not a troll

If a group having made their millions sets out to persecute their fans for more cash then it's pretty clear all they are interested in is the money and not the music.

hard.

So they're now forcing fans to buy there stuff???

I'll buy an album every 2 years and a gig ticket when they tour, which has been every year for past 3 years, hardly persecution

scudzilla wrote: »
    hardly persecution

talking about their persuit of digital downloaders

talking about their persuit of digital downloaders

Which was about 10yrs ago, and Lars has also said since that maybe they didn't do things right on that score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

hard.
    people like you persecute metallica because they are commercially successful they're not cool anymore
    "they sold out man" bullsh!t :rolleyes:

magentas wrote: »
    people like you persecute metallica because they are commercially successful they're not cool anymore
    "they sold out man" bullsh!t :rolleyes:

I don't have any problem with people having success, good for them, all of them including lady gaga and justin beiber and anybody who has the talent and guts and perseverance to get ahead in life, I couldn't be happier for them and I honestly mean that, but when I see people who have been massively successful , selling many millions of albums and sold out world tours and enough money to buy all the tea in china get bent out of shape over some kids who don't have as much cash as they do downloading an album and then go and pursue them

well it just paints a bad picture of a pig at a trough, no interest in the music, no interest in their music being heard around the world, no,

just the greens, never enough greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't have any problem with people having success, good for them, all of them including lady gaga and justin beiber and anybody who has the talent and guts and perseverance to get ahead in life, I couldn't be happier for them and I honestly mean that, but when I see people who have been massively successful , selling many millions of albums and sold out world tours and enough money to buy all the tea in china get bent out of shape over some kids who don't have as much cash as they do downloading an album and then go and pursue them

well it just paints a bad picture of a pig at a trough, no interest in the music, no interest in their music being heard around the world, no,

OMG, How can people still be upset with this?

I'll put it like this to you. If you developed a new piece of software in the morning that could make you millions, would you give it away for free?

Also, get your facts right. Metallica persued Nepstar and not their fans as you alluded to. Not one fan was sued.

No interest in their music being heard around the world? Is that why they've just come off a huge world tour?

I don't even know why i bother replying to moronic opinions like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not a troll

hard.

And now all the musicians who laughed at lars are wondering where their wages have gone!!

Metallica never persecuted their fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Metallica never persecuted their fans

That's not exactly true. Have you not heard St. Anger?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

That's not exactly true. Have you not heard St. Anger?:)

lol :D to this day i have not listened to that whole album even though im a fan. lars on the pots and pans is truely awfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

What age are you out of curiosity? Were you in ANY way affected by Metallica "suing" their fans? Did they sue you? In fact, who did they actually sue? All you ever hear is, they sued their fans, what fans?

This argument is constantly brought up. Its completely ridiculous. It was ****ing theft. It doesnt matter how much money they have, thats irrelevant, its their intellectual property. If someone was stealing Ipods, could they use the argument:

"Sure Steve Jobs has loads of money, and Im a fan of apple products, how dare he ask me to pay him"

Metallica have more money than they know what to do with. I remember reading somewhere that Lars and James are worth about 200 million each. Yet they still take on massive tour schedules to play to as many fans as possible. So this "its all about the money" stuff doesnt stand up. They have all the money in the world.

so please tell me, Metallica going after their fans really bothers you, who did they go after? What was the outcome, other than the eventual closure of Napster? Because you seem to know an awful lot more about it than me.
    btw, you CAN still download songs..it really didnt have any effect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I remember reading somewhere that Lars and James are worth about 200 million each.
    Good post. In relation to the quote, i remember watching "Some Kind Of Monster" and there was a clip of Lars selling a painting for something like $11,000,000, and apparently he had more paintings by the same painter!

I remember thinking "If the fcuker can afford to own a painting for 11m, how much money does he actually have?!"

What age are you out of curiosity? Were you in ANY way affected by Metallica "suing" their fans? Did they sue you? In fact, who did they actually sue? All you ever hear is, they sued their fans, what fans?

From an article released in April 2000
    Metallica today filed suit in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California against Napster, three educational institutions, and 20 fans for unauthorized distribution of music. The suit alleges that by enabling music piracy to occur, the defendants have committed copyright infringement. Specifically named thus far are Yale University, the University of Southern California, and Indiana University.

Napster has faced heavy litigation as of late, due to their MP3-sharing program of the same name. Napster allows users to trade and share MP3s, legal or not. Many Napster-like applications have arisen since, including Globalscape's CuteMX, Gnullsoft's Gnutella, Scour's Exchange, iMesh, and more. A San Francisco judge will soon announce a verdict in the Recording Industry Association of America's case against Napster.

This will be the first time a band has directly filed suit against Napster, and the first time universities have been sued for allowing students to trade MP3s. The case will set a precedent for what legal action can be taken against the spread of digital music.

Despite being known for supporting fans' bootlegging of their live performances, Metallica's Lars Ulrich said in a statement, "[It's] sickening to know that our art is being traded like a commodity rather than the art that it is." Ulrich once was "amused" at the release of a bootleg album, until he found out the tape was a doctored recording touted as live.

The massive problem with Napster, at the time anyway, was that in 2000 there were no IPod's and therefore no real place to listen to music digitally other then on a computer. If you wanted to listen to music portably you either paid $750 for a state of the art HDD player or you bought a $20 CD player....and then you burnt mp3's to CD (but even that technology had serious flaws 10 years ago) so in the long run this Napster thing worked because it made people aware that there needed to be a way to Digitally distribute music (with a cost attached) and equally there needed to be somewhere affordable to store and portably play it

This was a case of college students and frat boys moving ahead of the music Industry - an industry that desperately needed to gain ground over the Internet and learn to address things like commercial rights and infringement law online - and then these college students started WORKING for the companies they were once stealing from and developing ways to stop future generations from doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What you don't realise is that it's not up to you to decide whether Metallica or any band for that matter are entitled to money when it's been illegally downloaded, since it's well within their rights to persue whoever it is, that might be defrauding them. Since Napster was illegally downloading Metallica songs without giving them a cut, they were depriving them of something that was there's. If someone stole €20 off you, would you just let it go because surely you can just make more money afterwards. It's well within their right too, regardless of people's personal opinions of Metallica. But at the same time, that dosen't mean that Metallica should be condemned because of it either, and that dosen't make Metallica sellouts either. They still make great music and still show loyality to their fans, and their loyal fans show the same in return. It's the fans who turned on Metallica that are a disgrace.

Oh and as for you saying that Metallica fans are posuer fans. That's just ridiculous.

Advertisement