Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

yeah strange vanishing when his band were only getting things going. His guitarist did let somethings slip and then changed the subject something like this "yeah well for it wasn't like the old days ....i mean ...eh.....nice weather we're having"

Just found out about his disappearance from social media, it sounds like the relentless touring did his head in, that and maybe consistently being part of the Metallica-Megadeth-Ex Metallica members online drama clusterf**k that people are still beating like a dead horse at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Just found out about his disappearance from social media, it sounds like the relentless touring did his head in, that and maybe consistently being part of the Metallica-Megadeth-Ex Metallica members online drama clusterf**k that people are still beating like a dead horse at this stage.

If you get the deluxe edition of his new album there is an interview where he talks about going back to form Newsted and considering that he had only just managed to get out of that lifestyle. I personally don't know what he was doing for 10 years AFTER he left Metallica but he seems to think it took him that long to successfully, and fully, step away from that world.

Now I could be crazy but I reckon his disappearance is purposeful because he wants to go back to that beach house he did out with his wife and live life as a nobody for a few months (or years). He has made no secret of his careful spending and how good he is with his money, so he probably has more than enough to disappear and not have to worry about anything ever again. And if he ever does come back, it will be because he wants to, and for no other reason than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

If you get the deluxe edition of his new album there is an interview where he talks about going back to form Newsted and considering that he had only just managed to get out of that lifestyle. I personally don't know what he was doing for 10 years AFTER he left Metallica but he seems to think it took him that long to successfully, and fully, step away from that world.

Now I could be crazy but I reckon his disappearance is purposeful because he wants to go back to that beach house he did out with his wife and live life as a nobody for a few months (or years). He has made no secret of his careful spending and how good he is with his money, so he probably has more than enough to disappear and not have to worry about anything ever again. And if he ever does come back, it will be because he wants to, and for no other reason than that.

that actually makes sense, he was still pretty active for about 10 years with echobrain, voivod, Ozzy etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

That makes sense alright, by stepping away from the music business and all social media, he will not have to face the monster that is Metallica again, the monster that was probably in his face all the time over the last 10 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Do you bury me when I'm gone
    Do you teach me when I'm here
    Just as soon as I belong
    Then it's time I disappear.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Coming to a Sweet 16 or Confirmation Party soon....

Hopefully this is like the last corporate gig they did and it was because as mate who worked there asked them as a favour and it's not another money grab.

And wtf's going on with the amount phones recording in the audience. Put them down and listen to the gig for God's sake. I know this is an unfortunate trend in gigs these days but it seems to be on another level at this gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

http://www.haggisbuffet.blogspot.ie/2015/02/the-ecstasy-of-gold.html

This blogger gives a good account of the background to the gig and what it was like. Needless to say, the vast majority weren't Metallica fans and were probably recording it to brag to their mates via Facebook and Twitter about their night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Day tickets for Reading and Leeds are down to £59.50.. Might suit any Metallica fans who wanna see them.. Really good price imo

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just saw this on Metallica's Facebook page
    We lost a valued member of our family today as award winning filmmaker Bruce Sinofsky passed away this morning.

Bruce, along with Joe Berlinger, was the architect of our film "Some Kind of Monster." Smart, funny and dedicated, Bruce was with us almost every day in the early 2000's and was an integral part of helping us to navigate the rough waters during those times. Although not very welcomed at times, he was there through some of the darkest times of Metallica. He became a dedicated comfort and visual lifeboat, while objectively observing the unraveling and rebuilding of our inner and outer selves. We admired Bruce and Joe's work in "Brother's Keeper," but of course were blown away by what Bruce and Joe accomplished with the "Paradise Lost" trilogy of films. With their relentless work and attention to detail, Bruce and Joe's films drew attention to the miscarriages of justice associated with the trial of three teens accused of murder and helped to lead to their eventual release from prison after over 18 years behind bars.

After "Some Kind of Monster," Bruce went on to do more brilliant work on the Sundance Channel series "Iconoclasts," and History's "10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America" along with numerous other film and television projects.
    Our thoughts and prayers are with Bruce's family and friends. We will miss Bruce. A courageous man with deep empathy and wisdom who wasn't afraid to dig deep to tell the story.
    RIP Bruce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

awful film that -so bad I cringe at the thought of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Day tickets for Reading and Leeds are down to £59.50.. Might suit any Metallica fans who wanna see them.. Really good price imo

80 bob to see Metallica thought that was fairly standard as opposed to good, looking at the line-up there's not much else bar Mastodon to stretch any value either IMO.

They playing with Faith No More in Italy + more acts to be announced for the same price.

bennyl10 wrote: »

Where did you get that quote? Do you have a link for sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Metallica are releasing their 1982 No Life 'til Leather demo on cassette for Record Store Day.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-kick-off-reissue-project-with-no-life-til-leather-cassette-20150303

*NEW ALBUM UPDATE* Slowly getting there.
    the band hope to unveil some new songs on their string of festival dates this summer.

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/metallica-have-close-to-20-songs-written-for-their-new-album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I'd rather they save the new songs till just before the album comes out, usually they aim their new albums to release between June and September nowadays so I think they should save the songs till next years tour.

The reason being that they always re-work their songs and break pieces of them out to make two or more different songs. Remember what they did in 2006 they played a new song and chunks of it were taken out and bits were in "In The End Of The Line" and "All Nightmare Long". It was that "Death Is Not The End" thing they played at Donnington 2006. Thought the main riff was quite good, lyrics were s**t though to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I'd rather they save the new songs till just before the album comes out, usually they aim their new albums to release between June and September nowadays so I think they should save the songs till next years tour.

The reason being that they always re-work their songs and break pieces of them out to make two or more different songs. Remember what they did in 2006 they played a new song and chunks of it were taken out and bits were in "In The End Of The Line" and "All Nightmare Long". It was that "Death Is Not The End" thing they played at Donnington 2006. Thought the main riff was quite good, lyrics were s**t though to be fair.

I liked new song 2006. That main riff was really good. That Vulturous one from 2006 wasn't great though.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Metallica are releasing their 1982 No Life 'til Leather demo on cassette for Record Store Day.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-kick-off-reissue-project-with-no-life-til-leather-cassette-20150303

I will literally be first in the queue for this. Except I'll actually own something to play it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭briany

I will literally be first in the queue for this. Except I'll actually own something to play it on!

Ah cassettes...Takes me back. First heavy metal album I ever heard was my brother's copy of 7th Son of a 7th Son by Iron Maiden.

"CAN I PLAAAAY WITH MANUS?!" :pac:

But I'll need to get a lend of that off you at some stage, and I promise I totally will not give it back with the inside sleeve slightly bent for no reason and a little crack in the box....

F**k me I do not miss cassettes and CDs. Say what you like about having the physical thing but I'm forever thankful for not having to go through the social minefield of lending stuff ever again (at least with music, but I try to avoid lending wherever possible with all things).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

briany wrote: »
    Ah cassettes...Takes me back. First heavy metal album I ever heard was my brother's copy of 7th Son of a 7th Son by Iron Maiden.

"CAN I PLAAAAY WITH MANUS?!" :pac:

But I'll need to get a lend of that off you at some stage, and I promise I totally will not give it back with the inside sleeve slightly bent for no reason and a little crack in the box....

....or the tape that's chewed up and stuck together with sellotape...

• Advertisement

....or the tape that's chewed up and stuck together with sellotape...

"It was like that when I got it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Has anyone bought any of the CD's from livemetallica.com? They're releasing some of the 2010 Australia tour over the coming weeks. I was at one of the Sydney shows while on holiday. I wouldn't mind picking up a copy. Obviously you get an actual CD, but do you get a case and booklet with it? I've noticed that they have on the site the artwork for downloading. Just wondering if you have to download the artwork yourself?

http://www.metallica.com/news/20150309-646278.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I love the cassette idea. I swear AJFA sounds waaaay better on tape than cd. That little bit of tape hiss inherent in all cassettes actually helps disguise the lack of bass and makes it sound a bit thicker.

Come to think of it, the first time I ever heard a Metallica song was on a mix tape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I absolutely loved the original double LP AJFA! I used to - when visiting cousins - have that cranked and drum along to it. The sound was absolutely immense.

I love the cassette idea. I swear AJFA sounds waaaay better on tape than cd. That little bit of tape hiss inherent in all cassettes actually helps disguise the lack of bass and makes it sound a bit thicker.

Come to think of it, the first time I ever heard a Metallica song was on a mix tape

If you think about it, cassettes were still just about the medium of the masses in 1989 so it's not surprising if Justice does indeed sound better on cassette than CD where the digital nature of the reproduction would push the coldness of the sound into, some would say, slightly unflattering territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    For those on Instagram Kirk is on and active : fearfestevil

Scudzilla is also on it....and active

Kirk is on Twitter too and I have to say he's very entertaining and quite open and honest. Definitely worth a follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That corporate gig they did last month is available to doenload for free on livemetallica.com.

You can never have enough recordings of seek and destroy!

(at least with music, but I try to avoid lending wherever possible with all things).

Do you remember when you took the time to make a mix tape for a good friend and recommended him songs? And then he did it for you - and you both appreciated the similar yet strikingly different music tastes you had as friends.

Do you remember when you took the time to make a mix tape for a good friend and recommended him songs? And then he did it for you - and you both appreciated the similar yet strikingly different music tastes you had as friends.

I'm not quite of the mixtape era, except for songs to play in the car. For that, I can certainly remember cutting together that sweet Metallica/Megadeth mixtape, which, as I recall was mainly TBA, Countdown and Load.

I once received a mix mini-disc, which I still have, although absolutely nothing to play it on, then or now.
    That corporate gig they did last month is available to doenload for free on livemetallica.com.

You can never have enough recordings of seek and destroy!

sarc-detector-2.jpg

• Advertisement

I once received a mix mini-disc, which I still have, although absolutely nothing to play it on, then or now.

I can relate. I once got a VCDVD - something like that - which was a DVD that could play all those dodgy files you'd illegally gotten from WinAMP and the likes. None of my players would even read the damn disc because it was so dodgy....which was a shame because it allegedly had something really cool on it

Advertisement