Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-metallica-lead-guitarist-kirk-hammett-reveals-secret-project-20110210

Yes, a new Metallica album (Metallica project, more like) will be hitting shelves and IP addresses this Summer

So I'm thinking a second Garage Inc type release because Metallica have always been eager to do record some covers

Actually, maybe Jason will be invited back, if he doesn't lay down some bass he could at least help with the soundproofing;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Was reading about this last night. Not really sure what to make of it tbh as it's all very ambiguous. I'd have thought they'd finished with recording covers,plenty in their back catalogue already. They played some 'newer' covers on the last tour (such as Saxons Motorcycle Man) but they're available through LiveMetallica.com so i don't see a need to commit them to record.

Maybe the Big 4 will all cover each others material!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Maybe its the unfinished Demos of Death Magnetic, like the tribute to Layne or the awesome solo from the Mission Metallica videos?

Maybe its the unfinished Demos of Death Magnetic, like the tribute to Layne or the awesome solo from the Mission Metallica videos?

There's one finished song from the DM sessions that never made the album. The song was called Shine and was shelved because James fought hard to get Unforgiven 3 on the album. AFAIK it was fully recorded,mixed and produced so hopefully it see's the light of day.

Done a trade this evening, this was among the things I got

ticket-961009.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Hmm, I get the feeling Steve Wig is just trying to get some money out of Lars. The story just seems to make me think that.

Yes, the money Lars hasn't paid him. I thought that too :D

Done a trade this evening, this was among the things I got

ticket-961009.jpg

Still have mine around somewhere. It's in a similar condition i think too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

greendom wrote: »
    Yes, the money Lars hasn't paid him. I thought that too :D

He waited quite a long time to file the lawsuit, about 2 years. Why someone would just happen to file a lawsuit 2 years later on a very well known rich musician that he worked for, because he claims he wasn't paid overtime is beyond me. Did he even ask Lars about it when he worked for him or did he just naturally assume Lars would pay him later or something. Anyway, I still think he's just trying to get some money out of Lars.

He waited quite a long time to file the lawsuit, about 2 years. Why someone would just happen to file a lawsuit 2 years later on a very well known rich musician that he worked for, because he claims he wasn't paid overtime is beyond me. Did he even ask Lars about it when he worked for him or did he just naturally assume Lars would pay him later or something. Anyway, I still think he's just trying to get some money out of Lars.

That's very true, but then on the flip side, you don't know what Lars had this guy do and how many hours he may have worked. The guy probably needed to seek legal representation and consult Californian Employment Law on the matter (he might have only realised he was possibly owed money when mentioning his working habits with Lars to a friend or something...)

Although, in a lot of these cases, those suing celebrities tend to be doing it for a little extra money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Who knows? I certainly don't. I was just making a little joke.
    It's quite possible that he has spent the last 2 years asking for the money directly. He finally realised it wasn't going to happen and decided to do it through the courts. And he obviously is trying to get money out of Lars. That's why he's taking it to the courts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lord lucan wrote: »
    Was reading about this last night. Not really sure what to make of it tbh as it's all very ambiguous. I'd have thought they'd finished with recording covers,plenty in their back catalogue already. They played some 'newer' covers on the last tour (such as Saxons Motorcycle Man) but they're available through LiveMetallica.com so i don't see a need to commit them to record.

Maybe the Big 4 will all cover each others material!:pac:
    Now that would be cool! :p

Didnt metallica often play a few slayer licks in some of the earlier gigs? Can you imagine James singing Peace Sells? Or Dave singing st anger!:p

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Now that would be cool! :p

Didnt metallica often play a few slayer licks in some of the earlier gigs? Can you imagine James singing Peace Sells? Or Dave singing st anger!:p

Metallica have often messed about with Slayer stuff at gigs.

And Metallica(ok,just James) cover Megadeth.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/54929

Can anyone copy & paste the text of this story? Link won't open properly for me?

Can anyone copy & paste the text of this story? Link won't open properly for me?

Here we go
    Metallica plan to work on a new "recording project" in May - but not a conventional album.

Guitarist Kirk Hammett said that the metal behemoths were planning on getting the project wrapped up in a fortnight.

"We want to record it in two weeks," he told Rolling Stone. "It's not really 100 per cent a Metallica record. It's more a recording project than a bona fide Metallica."

Hammett added: "Whether or not we can pull it off in just two weeks remains to be seen."

Last week (February 2) drummer Lars Ulrich said that the band would be entering the studio soon, with fans assuming that he was referring to sessions for the band's 10th studio album.

"There's a really good vibe in the band," the drummer said. "We really want to get back to Metallica quickly because we are enjoying it so much right now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Here we go

Maybe an EP or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i'd like an old school ep....a new epic tune a B side and some covers like the creeping death EP!!

Another Big 4 show added for Germany on July 2nd.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603585

Another Big 4 show added for Germany on July 2nd.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603585

A lot of people I know have been holding out for this show, to them it's a dream come true, the same people who told me about this also told me about 3 other shows planned in Germany and maybe one in Northern Ireland

Again, I don't have all the information, but it seems Metallica is giving out the hint that they won't stop at this show. The difference with this one being, right from the bat, that it's a headline show and not part of a festival. Personally I'd want to see them in Knebworth on the Friday, given the history of the venue, and also because Diamond Head is the opening band.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Personally I'd want to see them in Knebworth on the Friday, given the history of the venue, and also because Diamond Head is the opening band.

Diamond Head are opening? Bloody hell, that pit is gonna be rammed!

feylya wrote: »
    Diamond Head are opening? Bloody hell, that pit is gonna be rammed!

Yes, yes it is

Here is some footage (filmed by myself) at their Newcastle concert in Feb 2010

I got two picks that night as well

wh_blk_abb_f.gif
    wh_blk_abb_b.gif
    blk_gr_brian_f.gif
    blk_gr_brian_b.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd put money on this 'project' being them re-recording some old metalli-classics

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd put money on this 'project' being them re-recording some old metalli-classics

TBA is 20 years old this year.;)

TBA is 20 years old this year.;)

They wouldn't just re-record that, they say this 'project' would take 2 weeks, about the time it would take to re-record 10-12 tracks from first 5 albums wit the current line yo

They wouldn't just re-record that, they say this 'project' would take 2 weeks, about the time it would take to re-record 10-12 tracks from first 5 albums wit the current line yo

All joking aside,i can't ever see them re-recording any of their old stuff. They've always maintained they don't look back,so can't see it being a runner. Best bet is some covers and collaborations imo.

How long did Garage Inc take? I'm thinking it wasn't much longer than 2 weeks for disc 2 (Disc 1 obviously being the $5.98 Garage Days EP)

feylya wrote: »
    How long did Garage Inc take? I'm thinking it wasn't much longer than 2 weeks for disc 2 (Disc 1 obviously being the $5.98 Garage Days EP)

I think Garage Inc was recorded in 2 weeks and then whatever time it took to mix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

there is NO way Lars could record 10 -12 of their own tracks in 2 weeks. he's not up to it.

As this year seems to be a Big 4 theme, what if they recorded 3 tracks from the other bands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

there is NO way Lars could record 10 -12 of their own tracks in 2 weeks. he's not up to it.
    I for one wouldn't be adverse to hearing Metallica recordings without his input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Malice wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't be adverse to hearing Metallica recordings without his input.

Here you go:

Probably about as close as you can get to hearing them without Lars, considering the fact that Lars will never give up his position in Metallica or let anyone else record stuff without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be a possibilty there starting to annouce shows over europe now.

More or likely will be in Marlay Park or the RDS but would be brillent if it was in the o2

All joking aside,i can't ever see them re-recording any of their old stuff. They've always maintained they don't look back,so can't see it being a runner. Best bet is some covers and collaborations imo.

Most likely either that or an album of cover versions

Asides from that it could be a collection of solo ideas from all four members released with the support of their other three bandmates

So Rob writes a song and Lars, James and Kirk contribute....

I'm hearing quite a few rumours that a Big 4 show at The RDS will be announced on Monday with Wed 6th July being the date :D:D:D

Given that they're playing Knebworth 2 days later, that's certainly a possibility.

I'm hearing quite a few rumours that a Big 4 show at The RDS will be announced on Monday with Wed 6th July being the date :D:D:D

What the ****....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

What the ****....

I've heard the rumours as well but until I see info posted on Metclub, thats all it stays. A rumour.

I've heard the rumours as well but until I see info posted on Metclub, thats all it stays. A rumour.

Well I for one really hope this happens

Same here! I was planning on going to the German big 4 show but the price of tickets was scandalous. Here's hoping Sonisphere release day tickets, I'll head over for that show, hopefully the Spanish one (another rumour) and an Irish date somewhere in between or before those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+1 will deffo be heading to that if it happens

• Advertisement

Would love it to be true. Was planning on hitting Knebworth but waiting to see if day tickets come up for that. Had a look at the German Sonisphere and nearly had a coronary when i seen the prices!!:eek:

An Irish date would solve all them problems.

As I said I'd go to Knebworth for the day, and then there's the opening of Diamond Head, but personally I can't justify that if they're performing in Dublin

Cheap Ryanair flight's and free accommodation always invite me home:D

As I said I'd go to Knebworth for the day, and then there's the opening of Diamond Head, but personally I can't justify that if they're performing in Dublin

Cheap Ryanair flight's and free accommodation always invite me home:D

Better crowd in Dublin too.;)

Better crowd in Dublin too.;)

True enough that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

What I won't give for that rumour to be ture on Monday. I was considering a trip to Download or maybe even Sonisphere, but forget all that if there is an announcement.

EDIT:

Saw this on MCD's facebook page. Perhaps the orgin of all the rumors?
    We've got some seriously exciting news for Monday morning...

What I won't give for that rumour to be ture on Monday. I was considering a trip to Download or maybe even Sonisphere, but forget all that if there is an announcement.

EDIT:

Saw this on MCD's facebook page. Perhaps the orgin of all the rumors?

A couple of people i text this evening said they heard it was Aiken(hence the RDS i'd imagine) promoting. This could all be a big load of hot air but one guy i know based in the UK had heard the RDS mentioned 2 days ago!! He could be on the wind-up though!:D

• Advertisement

Would love it to be true. Was planning on hitting Knebworth but waiting to see if day tickets come up for that. Had a look at the German Sonisphere and nearly had a coronary when i seen the prices!!:eek:

An Irish date would solve all them problems.

You and me both man. €126.90 it quoted me for a "front stage left" ticket.

Yeah,i got similar. Throw in flights and accommodation and it'd cost a small fortune. I'd get a week in the canaries for that money!!

Does anybody believe that should an Irish date be announced tickets for the 'Golden Circle' would be any cheaper?? I certainly don't

Does anybody believe that should an Irish date be announced tickets for the 'Golden Circle' would be any cheaper?? I certainly don't

As a one-off non-Sonisphere date i couldn't see prices being that high. I've never understood this whole "special pit","golden circle","special side of stage" areas. It's standing(and sitting if available) and that's it. I think ticket prices here like the German date would be commercial suicide with things the way they are now. €80 would be the ceiling for me for an outdoor show. €100+ to stand in a field,no thanks!

I would love to see Aiken promote this event - I hold no favours with either company - but given that MCD really ****ed me over with Guns N' Roses last September (no, I haven't forgotten) then I would be more easily prepared to give my hard earned to Aiken

I guess the only question remains, if Metallica do play Dublin, who will the support be? lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement