Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

New setlist. Changed the encores around a bit at last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

D.Q wrote: »
    New setlist. Changed the encores around a bit at last!

Maybe they read Boards and saw the complaints...!!!!

Seriously though, it is about time and good to see. Nice to see Frayed in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Unforgiven 2 being introduced, bringing back Metal Militia, King Nothing and Frayed. Switching Sandman and Seek, opening with Fuel. Seems they took on board their learnings from the "By Request" tour. I approve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Anyone know if they are coming to ireland anytime in the near future?, would they ever get the slane gig?, i mean if the foo fighters can headline surley tallica have a chance

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Anyone know if they are coming to ireland anytime in the near future?, would they ever get the slane gig?, i mean if the foo fighters can headline surley tallica have a chance

Metallica never sold out the RDS or Marley Park during the run when they seemed to play here nearly every year around '03-'08 and I'd say they were more popular then than they are now. They have capacities of around 40,000 I'd say so I'd say it'd be very unlikely that they'd ever be booked for Slane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Unless they did a co-headline job with the likes of Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath, but the bands that get picked for Slane are generally more radio friendly so that probably wouldn't happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Unless they did a co-headline job with the likes of Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath, but the bands that get picked for Slane are generally more radio friendly so that probably wouldn't happen anyway.

Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Hi guys.

Just letting everyone know that this cringey lump of gold still exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hi guys.

I think they've mercifully ditched that bit, that video is from werchter 3 years ago.

So which was the low point of recent Metallica, Lulu or that family crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Both Lulu & the whole Metallica Family shtick were low points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The family crap imo. At least lulu, despite not being a fan of it, was an attempt at something creatively with another artist. The Metallica family ****e was suited to a Disney club gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

lord lucan wrote: »
    I think they've mercifully ditched that bit, that video is from werchter 3 years ago.

They have ditched it but they can never escape this.

Family crap definitely. At least Lulu was a musical venture and a risky one at that. It didn't pay off, even a little bit, but respect for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hi guys.

those signs are just cringeworthy, if someone gave me one of them i'd punch him:pac::pac:

Watched the recent MetOnTour video, it showed the meeting the band had with the production crew about changing the lighting and the props due to swapping Sandman and Seek. Just shows why they haven't done it sooner. The amount they have going on at those times, it was all figured out production wise so why change it?

Frustrating for us fans but I can see why they keep the songs where they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Watched the recent MetOnTour video, it showed the meeting the band had with the production crew about changing the lighting and the props due to swapping Sandman and Seek. Just shows why they haven't done it sooner. The amount they have going on at those times, it was all figured out production wise so why change it?

Frustrating for us fans but I can see why they keep the songs where they do

Is that available on YouTube or elsewhere for non members? I'm a bit skeptical of that as an excuse.

Mushy wrote: »
    Is that available on YouTube or elsewhere for non members? I'm a bit skeptical of that as an excuse.

It's on the tour section of the Metallica site. No membership needed as far as I'm aware!

http://loudwire.com/metallica-james-hetfield-kirk-hammett-national-anthem-nba-finals-game-5/

I think this completes their involvement at games of the 'Big 4' American Sports or were they at an NBA game before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

listening to "the coral sea" by patti smith featuring kevin shields.....it's brilliant but i'm gettin a lulu vibe of it here and there!

listening to "the coral sea" by patti smith featuring kevin shields.....it's brilliant but i'm gettin a lulu vibe of it here and there!

Is anyone a table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Both Lulu & the whole Metallica Family shtick were low points

I don't know if Lulu was a low point, exactly. None of Metallica's contemporaries could say that they collaborated with Lou Reed, so in a sense it's a fair feather in the cap of Metallica's already pretty extravagant cap. If people can say, with a straight face, Trout Mask Replica is a great record, then there's hope for Lulu.

As for the Metallica family stuff, yeah I agree it comes off lame, but Metallica are not the dangerous rock'n'rollers they once were. They have people of all ages coming to their shows now and they're trying (for the most part) to stay PG and give shows a friendly, inclusive atmosphere. It is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Lulu is ****e and the family stuff pathetic anxiety-ridden happy-pill ****e. A band that had a purpose and sense of direction wouldn't make those mistakes.

briany wrote: »
    I don't know if Lulu was a low point, exactly. None of Metallica's contemporaries could say that they collaborated with Lou Reed, so in a sense it's a fair feather in the cap of Metallica's already pretty extravagant cap. If people can say, with a straight face, Trout Mask Replica is a great record, then there's hope for Lulu.

As for the Metallica family stuff, yeah I agree it comes off lame, but Metallica are not the dangerous rock'n'rollers they once were. They have people of all ages coming to their shows now and they're trying (for the most part) to stay PG and give shows a friendly, inclusive atmosphere. It is what it is.

Serious Fanboy stuff there Briany.

Serious Fanboy stuff there Briany.

Ah, now, here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The stink of hypocrisy from this, it's difficult to know where to start!!

Ulrich: Streaming is the way ahead

I'm just glad this is still out there :D :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

blastman wrote: »

not at all....you cannot compare a pre-download opinion from years ago that he was pilloried for to an opinion in 2015...in fact he's on the record as sayin he doesn't give a f** anymore...i'd say the main reason he doesn;t give a f** is the very bands that went against him on the issue are now broke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I can and I did, so nyaaah!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

blastman wrote: »

Hypocritical how?

Free downloading versus paid streaming???

not at all....you cannot compare a pre-download opinion from years ago that he was pilloried for to an opinion in 2015...in fact he's on the record as sayin he doesn't give a f** anymore...i'd say the main reason he doesn;t give a f** is the very bands that went against him on the issue are now broke...

Chuck D. directly debated against Lars over Napster and he's not exactly destitute. It seems, in fact, according to the 'Downloaded' documentary that it was a very divisive issue amongst musicians at the time, and many musicians who advocated it, or accepted it, are still around today. A lot of artists had hoped, then, that digital distribution would herald in a fair and equitable age for artists in terms of profit sharing. Roger McGuinn of the Byrds even testified that he'd seen more money of sites like MP3.com in terms of a share than he ever did from the recording industry up to that point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

On a side note, I heard Aonghus McNally on Radio 1 last night and was reminded of the fact that I saw him in the balcony, in a tuxedo, at the Metallica gig in 96 in The Point.

Can anyone join the dots for me?

Advertisement