Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How did all the fans get on stage ??. Is it a more expensive ticket type or a fan club draw thing.

Fan club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Most of the bands I've listened to since I got into music in the early 90's are in or around that age, and as I mentioned last night are far more productive musically than metallica have been in the last 20 years. That said their lifestyle over the years would put them at what age though ???? :pac:
    we're not talking about being productive we're talking about how great they were the other night

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anyone from here head over to this gig? Milton Keynes '93, what a fcukin day it was, band were on fire

Just watching this now, the first 2 tracks ya can see how integral Jason is, wonder how it all went to wrong

jasons last interview explains all....james was an absolute w@nker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    always find these comments odd. people change, bands change, we all get older. its a part of life. if you dont like a band anymore, move on and enjoy your memories of them. i find a lot of metalheads don't really understand these basic facts of life. things change. none of us are immune to getting older. you will get old, slow down and change. yes metallica has changed, probably no where near as good as they use to be but at least theyre still doing it and enjoying it. its not all about us as fans all the time. they owe us nothing. they have brought happiness to millions on this planet and not many people can say that

For me anyway, it's not about Metallica playing badly or getting older. AFAIC musically they're doing great. It's just some bad decisions that they've made regarding sound.
    Their live sound for some reason is so puny these days. Look at a live version of St Anger from 2014 and compare it with a 2003 version. The tone is just so weak and thin in the 2014 version. Kirk's guitar tone is so bad that it makes him sound like he's playing worse than he is. Also, the mixing of their last few releases has been dreadful.

For me anyway, it's not about Metallica playing badly or getting older. AFAIC musically they're doing great. It's just some bad decisions that they've made regarding sound.
    Their live sound for some reason is so puny these days. Look at a live version of St Anger from 2014 and compare it with a 2003 version. The tone is just so weak and thin in the 2014 version. Kirk's guitar tone is so bad that it makes him sound like he's playing worse than he is. Also, the mixing of their last few releases has been dreadful.
    Fixing Kirks tone would improve the entire band, wasn't great the other night.

• Advertisement

Fixing Kirks tone would improve the entire band, wasn't great the other night.

I heard a theory, something about your advanced age affecting your ability to hear different frequencies (particularly mids), so they boost those frequencies that's why it's all mids in their live sound. Whereas when they were younger it was a lot of treble and bass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I miss Jason :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I miss Jason :(

I think he's missed more because his replacement is such a bad fit.

"Can I get a HUHHHHH". :o

I heard a theory, something about your advanced age affecting your ability to hear different frequencies (particularly mids), so they boost those frequencies that's why it's all mids in their live sound. Whereas when they were younger it was a lot of treble and bass.
    that is true, your hearing diminishes every day, however Metallica probably never get anywhere near their backline or even lay their hands on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭griffin100

Seriously?

Did the choice of songs surprise you?

Whiskey In The Jar did, the others not ;)

• Advertisement

that is true, your hearing diminishes every day, however Metallica probably never get anywhere near their backline or even lay their hands on it.

I reckon they have some sort of say regarding their guitar tone though?

I reckon they have some sort of say regarding their guitar tone though?
    yes but their team would notice if anything was wrong, technically. Kirks issue is more due to taste!

yes but their team would notice if anything was wrong, technically. Kirks issue is more due to taste!

I think both guitars sounding sh*te is up to taste. There just isn't any power in the tone anymore

I went all teenagey when james produced that shiney white ESP Explorer at reading!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think both guitars sounding sh*te is up to taste. There just isn't any power in the tone anymore

Death by EMG. Probably my imagination but I think Kirk sounds better with the V. But I assume its nullified by the effects its run through. So it must be my imagination. I thought Kirk got better the longer reading went on. But having said that, I wouldn't rate him that much, especially live. He seems to write better than he can play. He writes some classic/memorable stuff though. Something a lot of better technical players never achieve. I think he doesn't get enough credit for that.

beauf wrote: »
    Death by EMG. Probably my imagination but I think Kirk sounds better with the V. But I assume its nullified by the effects its run through. So it must be my imagination. I thought Kirk got better the longer reading went on. But having said that, I wouldn't rate him that much, especially live. He seems to write better than he can play. He writes some classic/memorable stuff though. Something a lot of better technical players never achieve. I think he doesn't get enough credit for that.
    im actually looking for bass pickups at the minute and i hate EMG and active pickups in general......but....:) after months of research it appears the EMG geezer butler range are AMAZING! ....and passive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'd love to understand what the last 10 or so posts are about

I'd love to understand what the last 10 or so posts are about
    you know the graphic equalizer on the old cd/tape decks? they had bass middle and treble.....lads here are suggesting perhaps there's too much "middle" in metallicas guitar sound.....as opposed to AJFA which had nooooo middle....which would add to jasons problems as the guitars could drown him out in the mix...
    middle is vital because it raises the guitar in the mix and separates from the bass and bass drum ...

i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just watching the Reading set and something popped into my head

This crowd on the stage lark, it's probably saving them a FORTUNE on pyro, and we all know how they like the moneys

you know the graphic equalizer on the old cd/tape decks? they had bass middle and treble.....lads here are suggesting perhaps there's too much "middle" in metallicas guitar sound.....as opposed to AJFA which had nooooo middle....which would add to jasons problems as the guitars could drown him out in the mix...
    middle is vital because it raises the guitar in the mix and separates from the bass and bass drum ...

i think

Pretty much bang on. Too much these days do I see live bands that have the guitar tone minus any mids at all, making it a blur of bass and treble. Metallica did that back in the day but for some reason it sounded great. Maybe as someone mentioned it is the EMGs they use these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I remember reading somewhere that James and Kirk used to tape the bass and treble knobs into the maximim position so that they wouldn't move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The crowd on stage bit is a bit cheesey. But Metallica went full on cheese a long time ago, mainly on the Load tour with the roadie fire lark. Here's hoping the new album is as good as DM. I quite like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

seachto7 wrote: »
    The crowd on stage bit is a bit cheesey.

But they're family :rolleyes::D

But they're family :rolleyes::D

META-LLI-CA........... FAM-I-LY...... YE-EE-EAHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

META-LLI-CA........... FAM-I-LY...... YE-EE-EAHH

It. Never. Happened.

I had repressed it so well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

When I read 'crowd on the stage' in the thread i was thinking brilliant, something like The Stooges stage invasions, checked it out.. wtf, they're penned in and all wearing matching uniform Metallica t-shirts.

It looks like a TV ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Rod Y Gab did something similar recently at a gig I was at. They got some people up on stage. I was thinking "what is the point of this?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

beauf wrote: »

You are correct, I hear so many times when Kirk plays the Jackson V he "sounds like original Metallica". To my knowledge Kirk only uses it for sad but true. That Guitar is nearly 30 years old, he first used it playing it in 1983, just after recording “Kill ‘Em All”, and used it during recording sessions of “Master of Puppets”, which he almost completely recorded with this guitar. He also used it for MOP and AJFA and the black album, he still uses his original Wah pedals from MOP. Kirk has kept most of his guitars, where as James has fcuked his away. This is the problem with their sound today.

James on the other hand, seems to need a different guitar for every song, he has a truck with at least 30 guitars that go everywhere, each one tuned to a particular song. Back in the day he had 2 guitars, the MX 220 explorer and the 250, 2 guitars used for an entire gig. The MX 220 stands for (Metallica Xplorer) James found out ESP were making the EET FUK guitar for sale in 1989 and told them to stop, so only 46 of these were produced. I've looked at one of these originals online and there is one for 7k (wow)

Part of the problem, is that when James buys guitars, he has a partnership with EMG, ESP so it's like "hey try this out James" obviously money involved! And free guitars. If all his guitars had EMG 81/60 active pickups, you would probably get the original sound back.

He retired the original EET FUK guitar in 1990, it was meant to say EET FUK SLEEP, but the sleep bit didn't fit onto the guitar so it was left out, EET FUK was his favorite activities, so that's why it was on there.

To summarise, there is too much messsing around with EMG pickups and guitars, which in my opinion is the problem with the sound not being heavy anymore.

Another thing, James recorded MOP entirely on the Gibson flying V, he changed out the pickup's and put them into the explorer for the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

You are correct, I hear so many times when Kirk plays the Jackson V he "sounds like original Metallica". To my knowledge Kirk only uses it for sad but true. That Guitar is nearly 30 years old, he first used it playing it in 1983, just after recording “Kill ‘Em All”, and used it during recording sessions of “Master of Puppets”, which he almost completely recorded with this guitar. He also used it for MOP and AJFA and the black album, he still uses his original Wah pedals from MOP. Kirk has kept most of his guitars, where as James has fcuked his away. This is the problem with their sound today.

James on the other hand, seems to need a different guitar for every song, he has a truck with at least 30 guitars that go everywhere, each one tuned to a particular song. Back in the day he had 2 guitars, the MX 220 explorer and the 250, 2 guitars used for an entire gig. The MX 220 stands for (Metallica Xplorer) James found out ESP were making the EET FUK guitar for sale in 1989 and told them to stop, so only 46 of these were produced. I've looked at one of these originals online and there is one for 7k (wow)

Part of the problem, is that when James buys guitars, he has a partnership with EMG, ESP so it's like "hey try this out James" obviously money involved! And free guitars. If all his guitars had EMG 81/60 active pickups, you would probably get the original sound back.

He retired the original EET FUK guitar in 1990, it was meant to say EET FUK SLEEP, but the sleep bit didn't fit onto the guitar so it was left out, EET FUK was his favorite activities, so that's why it was on there.

To summarise, there is too much messsing around with EMG pickups and guitars, which in my opinion is the problem with the sound not being heavy anymore.

Another thing, James recorded MOP entirely on the Gibson flying V, he changed out the pickup's and put them into the explorer for the stage.

And another thing is that Metallica only discovered emg pickup 81/60 when recording MOP, the first EMG pickup with batteries, which changed their sound altogether, RTL and MOP are completely different.

Check out disposable heros 1985, before puppets was released, you can hear all instruments, includinding bass, cant post a link not enough posts. sounds just like puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Live stream link for the band's last show of 2015.

http://www.aol.com/rockinrio/

Advertisement