Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well, it's not though.

It's copyright infringement. Not theft.
    You can put whatever spin on it that you want, but it all comes down to theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's not spin, it's FACT and the words of the courts.

You're not a thief for downloading copyrighted material. You're a copyright infringer.

And it's no more an infringement than the person who posted that Sonisphere poster (I'd imagine they didn't go through the proper means to ask could they republish it) and the uploader of those two youtube videos on the last page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It's not spin, it's FACT and the words of the courts.

You're not a thief for downloading copyrighted material. You're a copyright infringer.

And it's no more an infringement than the person who posted that Sonisphere poster (I'd imagine they didn't go through the proper means to ask could they republish it) and the uploader of those two youtube videos on the last page.

You clearly understand a lot about advertising...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not saying they'd have any issues with it. Just like I'd imagine Bleak House aren't going to bring the uploaders of that song to court.

And I doubt Metallica would have tried to bring me to court had they realised that I first got my hands on their newly released Black album by copying it onto a blank casette as a 10 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Beekay wrote: »
    The Limp bizkit Behind Blue eyes is a cover and then it does the Mechanix/Four Horseman can of worms.

I'd known Limp Bizkit was a cover since the day it was released, and it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Nelson ripped off Megadeth. The Excel song is a bit of a puzzler, because 'Enter Sandman' was in development since 88/89 and Metallica spoke about it being the oldest song when the Black album was released...so whether they said that to cover their backs, or because it was true, only they know I guess....

As for Metallica ripping off David Bowie, the blame has to lie with Burton, the only musician in Metallica capable of being musically cultured enough to listen to such an artist at the time. I would think, if anything, he may have subconsciously used a note pattern or riff without thinking about where he first heard it...I'm sure it happens all the time, there are only so many notes lol

I do think Iron Maiden and Papa Roach should have a chat though
    And I doubt Metallica would have tried to bring me to court had they realised that I first got my hands on their newly released Black album by copying it onto a blank casette as a 10 year old.

Just make sure never to download Judas Priest, you could do some hard time for that

• Advertisement

Listen to this and tell me what you think, this song was released around the same time as James and Lars claimed to have started writing 'Enter Sandman'

Taken from the 1989 Excel album 'Joke's On You'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

What would the courts think of the following?

I bought Death Magnetic on vinyl, but I downloaded it illegally so I could listen to it on my ipod :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Listen to this and tell me what you think, this song was released around the same time as James and Lars claimed to have started writing 'Enter Sandman'

Taken from the 1989 Excel album 'Joke's On You'

That's pretty weird alright. How well known is Excel anyway?

Riddle101 wrote: »
    That's pretty weird alright. How well known is Excel anyway?

They were a kind of Punk/Ska fusion band from Venice, split in 1992 and then reformed in 1994 but broke up again in 95. They could also be called crossover thrash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excel_(band)

They listed some of their biggest influences as Slayer, Corrosion of Conformity and The Sex Pistols

Dan Clements from Against was their lead vocalist and founder member
    In 2003, ex-members of Excel started legal action against the thrash metal band Metallica over the song "Enter Sandman", which they claim borrows heavily from the Excel's song "Tapping into the Emotional Void", originally included on The Joke's on You LP, released in 1989, two years before the release of Metallica's Black Album (It was most recently echoed by Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine in an interview).

Before Mustaine made up with the band, he did say that 'Enter Sandman' was ripped off although I can't find out how that court case ended?

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=10357

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Honestly if I hadn't read your post first about the similarity to Enter Sandman I might not have noticed it at all :).

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    Honestly if I hadn't read your post first about the similarity to Enter Sandman I might not have noticed it at all :).

Really, I'm surprised, I've played it to three people who wouldn't consider themselves Metallica fans at all and they all recognized the similarity, one person even asked if it was a demo version of 'Enter Sandman' or a reworked sample

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Really, I'm surprised, I've played it to three people who wouldn't consider themselves Metallica fans at all and they all recognized the similarity, one person even asked if it was a demo version of 'Enter Sandman' or a reworked sample
    It's hard to know, I mean there's definitely a similarity but to me there is sufficient difference that it doesn't sound identical. It's like the way that Zombie by The Cranberries and Disarm by Smashing Pumpkins share the same Em, C, G, D/F# chord progression but they are quite different songs and I don't think anyone has ever accused either band of ripping the other off.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has ever accused either band of ripping the other off.

No, and the Smashing Pumpkins are very litigious, they have sued Virgin, Pepsi and even Sheryl Crow

On a topic that is bound to get everyone excitied, I just found this
    In a November 2010 interview with The Pulse of Radio, Ulrich stated that Metallica wants to get back to writing again for 2011. Ulrich stated: "There’s a bunch of balls in the air for 2011, but I think the main one is we really want to get back to writing again. We haven’t really written since, what, ’06, ’07, and we want to get back to kind of just being creative again.

Right now we are going to just chill out and then probably start up again in, I’d say, March or April, and start probably putting the creative cap back on and start writing some songs."

So, new Metallica album in development...what happened to the 11 songs or so they had left over from Death Magnetic? Couldn't a demo release be possible?
    On March 5 2007, Ulrich revealed that the band had narrowed a potential 25 songs down to 14, and that they would begin recording those 14 songs on the following week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I just gave St. Anger a listen the whole way through for about the first time in a few years. It's still rubbish (and I don't just mean the sound, the songs are rubbish too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I just gave St. Anger a listen the whole way through for about the first time in a few years. It's still rubbish (and I don't just mean the sound, the songs are rubbish too)

It's proberly their wost album ever, at least IMO. I just thank my lucky stars that Metallica managed to put that **** behind them when they did. Now the band seems to be back to normal again, and are still rocking it out.

I bought it for £1.99 in a music store the other week, it was on special offer lol, and I listened to it for the first time since I bought it on release day (and then returned it the following Tuesday) and it still sounds like the sound of a band dying. Having said that, if they're reworked 'The Unnamed Feeling' a little then I would like to hear this on future sets

I forgot this song had a video

For those who have never seen it

19833_303661201202_272423591202_5106869_5329018_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That's probably my favourite ticket that i have,that and the GN'R one from Slane. Proper tickets,not the non-descript,bland ones that are the norm now.

Still have the tour programme and t-shirt from that show,great times.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Still have the tour programme and t-shirt from that show,great times.:)

I wouldn't insult you by asking for a sale or a trade or whatever, but perhaps you might be able to post a few photos if you get the chance? Please?

Funny, I was 6 when this gig happened, and I kind of remember that Halloween

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Wow - i remember that gig. Was class! I was in college 'down de country' at the time. Got the train back up that afternoon, dumped my bag somewhere, went to the gig. Spent most of Saturday trying to find the bag! :D Turned out we left our bags in one of the lockers in Connolly Station after one of the lads found a bundle of keys among the shrapnel of change the next day!

Those were the days!

For those who have never seen it

19833_303661201202_272423591202_5106869_5329018_n.jpg

I wouldn't insult you by asking for a sale or a trade or whatever, but perhaps you might be able to post a few photos if you get the chance? Please?

Funny, I was 6 when this gig happened, and I kind of remember that Halloween

I'll try and scan it this evening and throw up a few pics. I remember that gig fondly as it was my first Metallica show. Having been to a few rock/metal shows in the previous couple of years i thought i knew what to expect but i was blown away by the show.

P1020297.JPG

P1020298.JPG

P1020299.JPG

P1020303.JPG

P1020304.JPG

P1020300.JPG

P1020306.JPG

P1020307.JPG

P1020308.JPG

P1020309.JPG

P1020311.JPG

P1020312.JPG

P1020313.JPG

P1020315.JPG

P1020316.JPG

P1020317.JPG

P1020331.JPG

I couldn't scan it as it's quite big and is a gatefold design so i had to snap a few pics. Along with a lot of Halfin pics they included a lot of negative reviews for TBA and their live shows,poking fun at themselves. 2 of my favourites are the Ian Astbury quote(not too far from the truth tbh.) and the letter to Kerrang at the end.

That letter to Kerrang is unbelievable - mainly because I'm astonished someone felt that angry towards it. Apparently Chris Jericho gave an interview where he said he burnt his copy on release day but I actually believed that was a joke and the album was generally received positively.

And they played in Whitley Bay the day before Ireland, WHITLEY ****ING BAY, where I live at the moment....you have no idea how funny that is to me lol

Anyway, great photos, and thank you so much for sharing...the T Shirt and the programme still look fantastic after all these years. Do you wear the shirt at all these days, maybe to Metallica gigs, or would you just keep it stored away for collectors purposes.

That letter to Kerrang is unbelievable - mainly because I'm astonished someone felt that angry towards it. Apparently Chris Jericho gave an interview where he said he burnt his copy on release day but I actually believed that was a joke and the album was generally received positively.

And they played in Whitley Bay the day before Ireland, WHITLEY ****ING BAY, where I live at the moment....you have no idea how funny that is to me lol

Anyway, great photos, and thank you so much for sharing...the T Shirt and the programme still look fantastic after all these years. Do you wear the shirt at all these days, maybe to Metallica gigs, or would you just keep it stored away for collectors purposes.

I still wear the t-shirt occasionally. Just about still fits too!:D

On that tour they played every type of arena conceivable,from Whitley Bay Ice rink to MSG. It appeared they were on a mission to play every town that had an arena of some description. They admitted later that it was nearly the death of them,playing constantly from late '91 to late '93. Unlike these days were they tour at their own pace,they played incessantly during that period and were still big drinkers(and any other habit of choice!).

Whilst i bemoan being too young to have caught them live in '86 & '89 i'm glad i got to see them during that era. They're still a brilliant live act but there was still an edge to them then,an anger,a point to prove. Hetfield all in black,explorer nearly at his knees,stalking the stage like he was hunting the audience.

Whilst i bemoan being too young to have caught them live in '86 & '89 i'm glad i got to see them during that era. They're still a brilliant live act but there was still an edge to them then,an anger,a point to prove. Hetfield all in black,explorer nearly at his knees,stalking the stage like he was hunting the audience.

Absolutely, you're a lucky man, I have seen some great acts and I will continue to for many years more but seeing Alice In Chains opening for Megadeth, Sepultura in the SFX or Metallica in Top Hat or on TBA tour...that kind of stuff, in hindsight, makes me wish sometimes I was either 10 years older (or could invent time travel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

P1020299.JPG

I did the Manchester and 2 Birmingham shows on this tour.

Manchester is one of my fav times seeing them, they opened wit 'Of Wolf and Man' which was/is pretty damn rare

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Manchester is one of my fav times seeing them, they opened wit 'Of Wolf and Man' which was/is pretty damn rare

Wow, that is rare, I have never heard of that:eek:

Advertisement