Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My favorite Metallica tshirt ever. Would love to find where I could get it again but I can only find vintage prices. I want something I can where daily!

I had that In my teens. It has the first four album covers on the back too. It was a favourite of mine back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just got an email to say my AJFA vinyl now won't be ready until May due to the remasters! I ordered before the Christmas mind!
    I used to have the AJFA tshirt too. Dog jumped up and rippeda hole in it, then I ended up wearing it in bed. Cool tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Nicked this from The New Album Thread on the Metallica Forum, make of it what ye will..

There's an interview (probably held in Dec or Jan) with Lars in the new German Rock Hard magazine. Nice read...

A few tidbits (but nothing too exciting or new):
    • no short songs (very vague here, though)
    • still not decided if LOS will make the album
    • they record more songs than just for the album
    • 2016 release looks very good
    • from AJFA on studio outtakes, similar to the Zepplin re-releases, exist
    • Presidio stuff will most likely be part of SA re-release
    • they were a little disappointed that there were not more obscure choices at the Request-shows...will probably do something similar again in smaller venues
    • Full Arsenal stage will be used again in the future

12747749_502818443253257_362018392_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTE5Mjk0MzY1NTYxMTYwODk3OA%3D%3D.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That picture/sign just sums up Metallica for me now, big red letters 'RECORDING IN PROGRESS, DO NOT ENTER', like a big fcuk off, don't come in.

Then a little 'THANKS' at the end for fear of offending anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    That picture/sign just sums up Metallica for me now, big red letters 'RECORDING IN PROGRESS, DO NOT ENTER', like a big fcuk off, don't come in.

Then a little 'THANKS' at the end for fear of offending anyone

Well they don't want their new material leaked beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Well they don't want their new material leaked beforehand
    I really hope someone does leak something. Just to piss off Lars.

At least the sign said 'recording' and not 'f*&k acting about' with the 1001 ideas they said they have for the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I really hope someone does leak something. Just to piss off Lars.

Death Magnetic leaked a few days it was released and Lars was pretty ok with that at the time. I think he was just happy the album was out there. Also It's been 16 years since the napster thing. I reckon he's mellowed out about the whole file sharing thing by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,855 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Death Magnetic leaked a few days it was released and Lars was pretty ok with that at the time. I think he was just happy the album was out there. Also It's been 16 years since the napster thing. I reckon he's mellowed out about the whole file sharing thing by now.

Different age and with things like spotify and google music etc it's much easier to listen to new songs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Has anyone seen anything from Jason?, it's like he paid Google to remove him from the internet, I mean not even a photo of him after the scuzz interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has anyone seen anything from Jason?, it's like he paid Google to remove him from the internet, I mean not even a photo of him after the scuzz interview.

I've asked this here many times, seems there's quite a few rumours flying about the web and a few of them aint good.

I really hope he's well and in a good place as he's by far my fav member of the band of all time.

Jason re-appeared last month talking about Lemmy

http://loudwire.com/jason-newsted-lemmy-kilmister-savior/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Great read,the ghost of Cliff still looms large over them,even 30 years on.

Cool article. As was the one about RTL from a couple of years back that I hadn't seen before that was linked within it

Gave Master Of Puppets a spin today, 30 years after it being originally released, it's held up amazingly well.

Gave Master Of Puppets a spin today, 30 years after it being originally released, it's held up amazingly well.

It's an absolute smasher, I first heard it in 1987, having had it on the original LP, cassette tape and CD and now digitally from iTunes, I can safely say it's best played on a technics 1210 on vinyl.

It's an absolute smasher, I first heard it in 1987, having had it on the original LP, cassette tape and CD and now digitally from iTunes, I can safely say it's best played on a technics 1210 on vinyl.

It's the first ever Metallica album I brought with my own money a decade ago.. Was the cover that got my attention..

I've heard it on vinyl before, and wowza's it was amazing, puts the cd version to shame..

And before anyone says it/digs up my post from a few months back, I was given a copy of St. Anger on a blank cd by a friend.

And while we patiently wait on the new album, found this on Facebook earlier today..

12790995_1042340069172696_417677967535692452_n.jpg?oh=f6e74fa45842e2b9a157500198648270&oe=5760F9D2

• Advertisement

How the fcuk you bang out master of puppets in four months and then justice a year later I'll never know, very Fcuking talented, there's not an sliver of that these day's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

So all in all they spent 5.2 years in the recording studio making albums. (not including GD if that can be called an album since it's a cover album).

How the fcuk you bang out master of puppets in four months and then justice a year later I'll never know, very Fcuking talented, there's not an sliver of that these day's.

Would imagine an "Us against the world /Everything to prove" attitude was a key factor in making those albums and they probably lost said attitudes once they made it so to speak..

Would imagine an "Us against the world /Everything to prove" attitude was a key factor in making those albums and they probably lost said attitudes once they made it so to speak..

And James terrible childhood.

And James terrible childhood.

And the fact that they had no one to tie them down.. It's a shame they don't have that spark anymore, but such is this game called life I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

One of the main reasons for Metallica albums taking so long to record is, and always has been, Lars. More specifically his inability to get anything done in a couple of takes.

The documentary of the black album sessions made him into a laughing stock amongst his peers at the time. The drum tracks on that album are pretty basic but he literally could not keep a steady beat for even a couple of minutes so various takes had to be razorblade edited together. You'd have thought the advent of pro tools in the years since would have sped the process up, but no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Just reading the first part of Birth, School, Metallica, Death. Reading about Cliff's death. I remember it at the time but had forgotten at how fast they replaced him with Jason (something like 3 weeks after Cliff was buried).
    Got to admit I had a tear in the eye reading it. What a waste.

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just reading the first part of Birth, School, Metallica, Death. Reading about Cliff's death. I remember it at the time but had forgotten at how fast they replaced him with Jason (something like 3 weeks after Cliff was buried).
    Got to admit I had a tear in the eye reading it. What a waste.

Was actually a month after Cliff had been buried that Jason was drafted in.

That's actually a book I need to pick up.

Jason re-appeared last month talking about Lemmy

http://loudwire.com/jason-newsted-lemmy-kilmister-savior/

Yeah after reading that, it's like he told the reporter not to ask him what he was up to, why wouldn't you ask? I mean this was an exclusive, to interview Jason and all the obvious questions were avoided. Totally controlled interview by Jason. Bummer interview totally boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

One of the main reasons for Metallica albums taking so long to record is, and always has been, Lars. More specifically his inability to get anything done in a couple of takes.

The documentary of the black album sessions made him into a laughing stock amongst his peers at the time. The drum tracks on that album are pretty basic but he literally could not keep a steady beat for even a couple of minutes so various takes had to be razorblade edited together. You'd have thought the advent of pro tools in the years since would have sped the process up, but no.
    justice is their most technical album, lars struggled with that one agreed, but i think the main reason it takes so long nowadays is they can afford the studio time and essentially write and record in the stuudio, rather than what normal bands do, write at home and record in the studio, process is probably slower now due to them owning it.

Advertisement