Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

And now for the bargain price of 190 squids you can have a 30 year old record!!!

https://shop.virginemi.com/metallica/*/*/Ride-The-Lightning-Remastered-Deluxe-Boxset/547I0000000

• Registered Users Posts: 11 deeeznuuuts

its the live stuff that makes this boxset worth while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

That's actually a pretty savage boxset, I was ready to roll the eyes, but considering one LP will cost you €30 or so today, there's a huge amount of content there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-tease-in-your-face-year-20160310
    I think it will be a pretty in-your-face year, at least the back half of it, Obviously, we've gotta finish the new record now. But thankfully we're quite far along. Hopefully we should be able to knock that on the head this spring, I would guess. So we will be gearing up and playing shows and doing all that fun stuff again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Better be an Irish show among the mix if they finish the album up by Spring, hope ta f**k they haven't rushed it and it's not half arsed, seems like only yesterday they finally got their arses in gear and entered the studio so I hope they have some quality songs on it. If not I'd rather wait till next year for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    hope ta f**k they haven't rushed it and it's not half arsed, seems like only yesterday they finally got their arses in gear and entered the studio

That's a joke right?

That's a joke right?

I know it's been like 7 and a half/ 8 years since an album but I meant I hope it's not being rushed because it wasn't that long ago they finally got into the studio.

They do have lot of things on their plates between the tours they do that I think creates good revenue for them, their family lives and their vanity projects that the fans care less about so all that s**t keeps them busy. But remember when the news came that they entered the studio? That doesn't seem very long ago to me anyway. When was it middle of last year they finally got their act together?

As long as the album is solid, about 10-12 tracks, and actually listenable at high volume while wearing headphones, I will be happy.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I know it's been like 7 and a half/ 8 years since an album but I meant I hope it's not being rushed because it wasn't that long ago they finally got into the studio.

They do have lot of things on their plates between the tours they do that I think creates good revenue for them, their family lives and their vanity projects that the fans care less about so all that s**t keeps them busy. But remember when the news came that they entered the studio? That doesn't seem very long ago to me anyway. When was it middle of last year they finally got their act together?

But they've been writing it for years. They might have only gotten down to recording it recently but they've been putting the songs together for a long time now at this stage and that's what it'll come down to. If the songs are good enough, it'll sound good no matter how rushed it is (loudness wars and dustbin lid snare issues aside).

If the songs are crap, it won't matter if they spend another 2 years trying to tweak it and get it right.

I know it wasn't their songs, but the Garage Days EP was recorded in 6 days and is probably the best sounding release they've put out (hope I'm not going to get lynched for that statement)

But they've been writing it for years. They might have only gotten down to recording it recently but they've been putting the songs together for a long time now at this stage and that's what it'll come down to. If the songs are good enough, it'll sound good no matter how rushed it is (loudness wars and dustbin lid snare issues aside).

If the songs are crap, it won't matter if they spend another 2 years trying to tweak it and get it right.

I know it wasn't their songs, but the Garage Days EP was recorded in 6 days and is probably the best sounding release they've put out (hope I'm not going to get lynched for that statement)

Plus they do sit on a lot of riffs and they sift through them so I've heard, James himself is a bit of a riff machine, he has an archive full of them going back years and years and can come up with new ones quite easily. Kirk losing his phone was s**t news though, could have been some good material on that. They should have got the Guitar Hero guys to produce and mix the album, remember how good the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic sounded compared to the original?

And yeah Garage Days was brilliant, can hear everything really including the bass, unlike Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

wat

380284.JPG

The band have one show lined up this year, Saturday August 20th.
    On Saturday, August 20, 2016 we’ll be hitting the stage for the first ever rock show at the stadium the brand new U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, MN. Joining us that night are our friends Avenged Sevenfold and Volbeat for a proper kick-off to the new football season in a new home for the Minnesota Vikings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,855 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The band have one show lined up this year, Saturday August 20th.

love to see that line up play here again (80% did in 2009).

We are long overdue a Metallica show here in Dublin

MCD ****ed up when the big 4 were touring europe and didnt do a show here (the Rds was rumoured around the time)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    love to see that line up play here again (80% did in 2009).

We are long overdue a Metallica show here in Dublin

MCD ****ed up when the big 4 were touring europe and didnt do a show here (the Rds was rumoured around the time)

I've seen 80% percent of that line up in Belfast 6 years ago.. Would be a great show to have here..

Might get a show once the new album is wrapped and they hit they road in support of it..

Would be cool to see The Big 4 of American Thrash in Ireland. The Aviva would be perfect imo..

I've seen 80% percent of that line up in Belfast 6 years ago.. Would be a great show to have here..

Might get a show once the new album is wrapped and they hit they road in support of it..

Would be cool to see The Big 4 of American Thrash in Ireland. The Aviva would be perfect imo..

As long as they have the album wrapped up....!!!! No more 'Escape from the Studio' tours to raise a few quid please.

As long as they have the album wrapped up....!!!! No more 'Escape from the Studio' tours to raise a few quid please.

Agreed, no more procrastinating on the album. Once it's done they can tour to their hearts content..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

As much as I would like it to, the Big 4 would not fill the Aviva. Not anymore. Last Marley gig seriously undersold. While I didnt see it at the time from being up the front, apparently MCD made a big loss on that. Wasn't as profitable as they expected

I'd love to see them back indoors when ever they do return here

As much as I would like it to, the Big 4 would not fill the Aviva. Not anymore. Last Marley gig seriously undersold. While I didnt see it at the time from being up the front, apparently MCD made a big loss on that. Wasn't as profitable as they expected

That doesn't surprise me that it was undersold. I gave their last show here a miss and from what you're saying, I wasn't the only one.

I just found the live show got a bit stale around that time. The set lists were for the most part predictable, James' crowd interactions were getting embarrassing and they just seemed to be going through the motions for the pay check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

That doesn't surprise me that it was undersold. I gave their last show here a miss and from what you're saying, I wasn't the only one.

I just found the live show got a bit stale around that time. The set lists were for the most part predictable, James' crowd interactions were getting embarrassing and they just seemed to be going through the motions for the pay check.

They had also played 3 years out of 4 in Dublin at that time too (I think 3 out of 4 anyway).

They're due a return here alright. Would love an indoor show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ozzy jr wrote: »
    They had also played 3 years out of 4 in Dublin at that time too (I think 3 out of 4 anyway).

They're due a return here alright. Would love an indoor show.

Dublin is the only place in the world i would bother my arse going to see them now, i've seen them 30 odd times, all over Europe, used to travel a lot just to see them, those days are LONG gone

It's been a couple of weeks so we were probably due another story on Jason's bass on AJFA and here it is.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-producer-missing-justice-bass-was-****ing-brilliant-20160317

Wonder if they will higher the bass up in the re-master . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Wonder if they will higher the bass up in the re-master . . .

The bass is all the way up in guitar hero on the Xbox 360.

How do the tracks on guitar hero sound with the bass added? I think there's one thing to just turning up the bass like on and justice for jason, but there's a completely different thing to turning up the bass and actually mixing the album properly in the process.

And Justice for Jason I find the bass tone really overpowers the guitar tone, actually makes it unlistenable for me

How do the tracks on guitar hero sound with the bass added? I think there's one thing to just turning up the bass like on and justice for jason, but there's a completely different thing to turning up the bass and actually mixing the album properly in the process.

It's quite good, they must have got special permission to higher the bass as the idea of the game is that your in a band and there would be no point playing the bass if you couldn't hear it.

And Justice for Jason I find the bass tone really overpowers the guitar tone, actually makes it unlistenable for me

Agreed, though I think it is just a case that someone turned the bass control up to full
    It's quite good, they must have got special permission to higher the bass as the idea of the game is that your in a band and there would be no point playing the bass if you couldn't hear it.

That actually sounds ok, though the bass is a bit overpowering. It's too in your face here IMO to the point that you can't really focus on the guitar or drums, but a proper remix would obviously sound better, at the same time it's nice to actually hear the bass, and it sounds a lot clearer than justice for jason. At the same time though, I think it needs to e considered that the album as a whole is very 'tinny' and dry. Listen to the double bass drums in one, almost like a metronome they're so dry.

Does the album really need to be remixed though? Should they also remaster Ride the Lightning without all the 80's reverb? Should they remaster st anger with a better snare tone? Peral Jam remastered 10 without the 90's reverb, but it didn't really offer anything new except they dimed it in the process. My point is that the album is a sum of it's parts, so while the bass is dialled down very low on AJFA, it's not simply a case of turning it back up and saying "that's that". The songs have a very unique dry tiny sound, that for better or worse, is the sound of the album. Sure it would be interesting to hear it with a more pronounced bass track, but I think fans should be more calling for them to fix the bollix they made of producing Death Magnetic :mad:

• Advertisement

Agreed, though I think it is just a case that someone turned the bass control up to full

That actually sounds ok, though the bass is a bit overpowering. It's too in your face here IMO to the point that you can't really focus on the guitar or drums, but a proper remix would obviously sound better, at the same time it's nice to actually hear the bass, and it sounds a lot clearer than justice for jason. At the same time though, I think it needs to e considered that the album as a whole is very 'tinny' and dry. Listen to the double bass drums in one, almost like a metronome they're so dry.

Does the album really need to be remixed though? Should they also remaster Ride the Lightning without all the 80's reverb? Should they remaster st anger with a better snare tone? Peral Jam remastered 10 without the 90's reverb, but it didn't really offer anything new except they dimed it in the process. My point is that the album is a sum of it's parts, so while the bass is dialled down very low on AJFA, it's not simply a case of turning it back up and saying "that's that". The songs have a very unique dry tiny sound, that for better or worse, is the sound of the album. Sure it would be interesting to hear it with a more pronounced bass track, but I think fans should be more calling for them to fix the bollix they made of producing Death Magnetic :mad:

Funny thing is, that guitar hero is the only clean version of DM . I agree that you can't just turn up the bass and be done with it. It would change the way the album sounds, they'd have to make all the other instruments sound bigger too. MOP was recorded in an empty warehouse, AJFA was recorded in a phone box.

Advertisement