Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

Agreed, though I think it is just a case that someone turned the bass control up to full

That actually sounds ok, though the bass is a bit overpowering. It's too in your face here IMO to the point that you can't really focus on the guitar or drums, but a proper remix would obviously sound better, at the same time it's nice to actually hear the bass, and it sounds a lot clearer than justice for jason. At the same time though, I think it needs to e considered that the album as a whole is very 'tinny' and dry. Listen to the double bass drums in one, almost like a metronome they're so dry.

Does the album really need to be remixed though? Should they also remaster Ride the Lightning without all the 80's reverb? Should they remaster st anger with a better snare tone? Peral Jam remastered 10 without the 90's reverb, but it didn't really offer anything new except they dimed it in the process. My point is that the album is a sum of it's parts, so while the bass is dialled down very low on AJFA, it's not simply a case of turning it back up and saying "that's that". The songs have a very unique dry tiny sound, that for better or worse, is the sound of the album. Sure it would be interesting to hear it with a more pronounced bass track, but I think fans should be more calling for them to fix the bollix they made of producing Death Magnetic :mad:

We can talk a lot about the pros and cons of the relative lack of bass guitar on AJFA, but I've still never heard a definitive answer on whether that decision was part of a creative vision or some drunken grieving of Cliff and a hazing of Jason. If it was the latter, then the decision to do so was f*cked up. That it turned out to have a unique sound was something that would only slightly mitigate this. With bass, AJFA would still be a seminal album - that nihilistic sneer and dry tone would still be there for all to hear, and the songwriting would not have changed. It's just that we'd also hear the fruits of Jason's labours on the record, even if his labours were to only double with James was doing. I've heard plenty of records where the bass does just this kind of thing anyway, but apparently nobody suggested lowering the bass fader too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

IMHO I believe that tinkering with the bass on AJFA would ruin it. Besides, you can hear plenty of bass on some of the songs (To Live is to Die immediately comes to mind). Whatever the reason for its production, it created a very sinister atmosphere and for me, defined the Thrash Metal sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

MASTER OF PUPPETS ADDED TO THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS NATIONAL RECORDING REGISTRY

https://metallica.com/blog/news/425089/master-of-puppets-added-to-the-library-of-congress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Next year, after the summer, Rob will be in metallica longer than Jason and he will have achieved everything Jason wanted out of the band. I feel sorry for Jason, metallica's success in recent years must fcuking kill him. He was the catalyst for James to cop himself on.

What a shame , Fcuk off Robert you bell greaser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Next year, after the summer, Rob will be in metallica longer than Jason and he will have achieved everything Jason wanted out of the band. I feel sorry for Jason, metallica's success in recent years must fcuking kill him. He was the catalyst for James to cop himself on.

What a shame , Fcuk off Robert you bell greaser.

i just see Rob as a hired hand whereas i seen Jason as a fully fledged member, it's criminal the way he was treated

scudzilla wrote: »
    i just see Rob as a hired hand whereas i seen Jason as a fully fledged member, it's criminal the way he was treated

Yep he's a hired hand alright. Does he have this?? AJFA, stunning cúnts, the black album, Seattle 1989, Load, 're-load, s&m...and all the other stuff. NO HE FCUKING DOESN'T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

He's been in the band for 13years and recorded 1 Studio album (lulu not included), now that's a joke in itself

He's been in the band for 13years and recorded 1 Studio album (lulu not included), now that's a joke in itself

There's no presence with Rob, its just like "I'm following orders". At least Jason had a voice in metallica and had personality. Rob is like hetfields lap dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Jesus when you say it like that it becomes clear how ridiculous this band have become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

1 album in 13 years is ridiculous in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Jesus when you say it like that it becomes clear how ridiculous this band have become.
    1 album in 13 years is ridiculous in fairness.

They're rich, in their 50's, and have made some of the greatest metal albums of all time. I think at this stage they're probably not that arsed writing songs about death and drinking, also they're given us some great music. I say give them a break.

They're rich, in their 50's, and have made some of the greatest metal albums of all time. I think at this stage they're probably not that arsed writing songs about death and drinking, also they're given us some great music. I say give them a break.

I see where you're coming from, it's just a pity Jason left when he did, if he just stuck it out for 4 more months, James would have been in rehab.

On another note, I can't find the four horsemen remastered any where, that Twitter and link isn't working and it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube.

I see where you're coming from, it's just a pity Jason left when he did, if he just stuck it out for 4 more months, James would have been in rehab.

On another note, I can't find the four horsemen remastered any where, that Twitter and link isn't working and it hasn't been uploaded to YouTube.

It's available on Metallica's Soundcloud here

https://soundcloud.com/officialmetallica

Didn't Kirk say a few years ago that they prefer to focus on touring since the days of living off record sales were effectively over? That puts a different spin on it because it sounds like they're focused on doing whatever makes them money, like that's their motivator now. What I inferred was that they feel like they owe it to make a record rather than really having that internal drive pushing them to work on one.

I like Death Magnetic as a record, but I don't like the idea so much of the band stagnating into that sound until the day they retire. I don't like the idea of Metallica feeling a pressure to conform to a certain sound, and I think that Hetfield is a far more capable songwriter than just within the Metal genre that Metallica have once again embraced on DM, and probably will again on what is touted to be basically DM pt. 2. Some older artists settle into a rut, but others cop a bit of DGAF attitude. I know that a lot of people didn't like Lulu, and understandably, but I really believe that Lou Reed was making a record he wanted to make (Metallica may have been only doing it to work with Lou...). Whether anyone else liked it was secondary. If Metallica have made their money, I hope they have this attitude on their own releases. If their true desire is to make slabs of neo-Thrash 'til they retire, but it's important to stay true to one's artistic compass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think touring and making the very occasional album is basically their retirement routine - in the same way some will play golf, or buy themselves a motorcycle to ride around on from time to time. But metallica is not the centre of their respective lives anymore.

I don't think you'll see them take too many risks when it comes their output either. They took a pretty big hit in the wallet with that movie and Lulu sold abysmally, so they'll most likely stick to the tried and tested.

This could very well be their final proper studio release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't see Rob as part of the band I never have, he wasn't there in the crazy times like Jason and its a pretty sober affair these days.

It's a job for these guys, if one leaves they'll just hire somebody else.

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't see Rob as part of the band I never have, he wasn't there in the crazy times like Jason and its a pretty sober affair these days.

It's a job for these guys, if one leaves they'll just hire somebody else.

Some people never accepted Jason either. It depends on who you grew up with. I first came to know Metallica when Jason was in the band, so he will always kind of be my bass player, too, even though I can fully appreciate what Cliff brought. Similarly there would be fans out there who first got into Metallica at a time post-2003 and Rob will be their guy. Rob's personality really fits with where the seems to be, psychologically, these days. Calm and at peace.

briany wrote: »
    Some people never accepted Jason either. It depends on who you grew up with. I first came to know Metallica when Jason was in the band, so he will always kind of be my bass player, too, even though I can fully appreciate what Cliff brought. Similarly there would be fans out there who first got into Metallica at a time post-2003 and Rob will be their guy. Rob's personality really fits with where the seems to be, psychologically, these days. Calm and at peace.

I would agree with that statement, I originally thought that it was Jason's fault AJFA sounded bad so I never really accepted him until I grew up and the internet came into my life and you could find actual articles about years of hazing.

Ironically AJFA is my favourite album, then MOP, KEA, Black, Lightning, DM. In that order.

I gave load and reload a spin again, trying to find something to latch onto, and I did..wasting my hate and hero of the day on load, found nothing on reload, it's terrible. But it only took 21 year's to find 2 songs from the album that I can listen to.

You see young folk going to Metallica gigs these days and when Rob plays Orion, sometimes Cliff will flash up on the screen and they'll say "Who's that dude?":eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Advertisement

So What! interview with James, bit long but worth a read

https://metallica.com/blog/so-what-article/425251/james-hetfield-the-so-what-interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I say they've had enough of a break. I don't want songs about death and drinking. I want songs about anything. Whatever they're feeling right now, be it early 50's life, family...whatever. Just any new music would be sweet as ****.

I gave load and reload a spin again, trying to find something to latch onto, and I did..wasting my hate and hero of the day on load, found nothing on reload, it's terrible. But it only took 21 year's to find 2 songs from the album that I can listen to.

ReLoad has a few uninspired moments but I think Load is a high quality and misunderstood album. Load's fantastically dense and multi-layered with excellent tones and production throughout. No scooped mids, excessive reverb, lack of bass or LA sheen. Just big, ballsy, and in your face. Very musical.

Lyrically, it's a real triumph for Hetfield as well. As much as I like to hear songs about death, violence, drinking and the esoteric, the lyrics of Load feature some poetry that can be interpreted in different ways for the listener to relate to which, to me, makes it a very personal album in a way that, say, Master of Puppets isn't. Those two albums combined are pretty much Metallica's White Album. Even more so than Metallica's previous self-titled release, the Loads showed the band throwing a lot of stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck, musically, and I think that needed to be done regardless of how it split critical opinion.

Slightly controversial opinion maybe but I think that after St. Anger Metallica have been a kind of spent force, lyrically. Hetfield got out so much of his baggage on that record. Good for his soul, I'd say, but it's that baggage that fueled his fantastic lyric writing throughout the years, so it's two-sided coin, there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Load is a pretty decent hard rock album, but it's very different to what came before it. I saw them on the Load tour, and the songs off that album came off really well live. Until I Sleep especially was good. The Cunning Stunts dvd is pretty much that tour, and bar the stupid roadie on fire segment on that tour, it's a dvd well worth picking up.
    An album I might pick up on vinyl now that I think of it. One or two songs on Reload were good, the rest mediocre for me.
    Two songs on St ANger I liked, and I thought DM was a decent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

lord lucan wrote: »

I went apes**t when I saw this up on Facebook the other day, I knew there must have been other footage from that show, but a lot of it didn't make it online apart from the videos from it that made it onto Cliff Em All and I saw like a cut version of Creeping Death, seeing No Remorse pop up the other day was awesome, and Cliff just bashing it out. They were really untouchable, packed a punch and had amazing stage presence. I'd love to see more full footage of Day On The Green 85 too. Basically any of their less documented career with Cliff in the band when MTV or radio had nothing to do with them.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I went apes**t when I saw this up on Facebook the other day, I knew there must have been other footage from that show, but a lot of it didn't make it online apart from the videos from it that made it onto Cliff Em All and I saw like a cut version of Creeping Death, seeing No Remorse pop up the other day was awesome, and Cliff just bashing it out. They were really untouchable, packed a punch and had amazing stage presence. I'd love to see more full footage of Day On The Green 85 too. Basically any of their less documented career with Cliff in the band when MTV or radio had nothing to do with them.

Apparently they have a lot of old footage lying around that will be released with the puppets remaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Savage, I hope they don't fcuk Jason with the justice remaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

But I also would argue that the Rolling Stones, members of the Beatles and Iron Maiden have consistently given more music - in one form or another - than Metallica

I love Metallica, I'd consider myself a huge fan, but even I think they're still riding a nostalgia wave from 1991 at this point....because nobody has even come close to stealing their crown. Which is a shame. We've had great albums and tours by great bands but Metallica (and Guns N Roses) can still sell an album of material from 1991 and make it sound like it was released yesterday. And that, that right there, is the key

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Might as well put the RTL unboxing up as well. Lars this time. Great version of FWTBT playing too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbupH-aDz8&nohtml5=False

Advertisement