Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Was listening to that the other night, unpolished but still sounds awesome

Rob will never leave Metallica, and James will NEVER have Jason back, he still has sly digs at him interviews to this day so no that will never happen. James is why Jason removed himself from public life.

Only seeing this one now, I haven't heard of any digs at Jason from James in quite a while, other than James telling the truth that they took the piss out of him a lot and didn't quite treat him as an equal during his time in the band.

That interview Jason did with Scuzz about a year or two ago was a shocker that he was really out to put a halt on Jason's side project, the whole atmosphere between the two of them seemed pretty toxic in their final few months, if you see their final few months doing interviews and going to awards ceremonies you could see something was off, I think it was at some VH1 award thing that Jason wasn't even sitting with the 3 others but he arrived up on stage to collect the award, this would have been after James gave Jason the ultimatum that "other arrangements can be made" when Q Prime were interested in Echobrain and wanted to back it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Serious bass going on there, I'm surprised that they never released this footage before now, particularly when they were trying to make it?

Serious bass going on there, I'm surprised that they never released this footage before now, particularly when they were trying to make it?

Yeah like that footage is over 30 years old, and I knew there was more of it considering there is bits and pieces of it on the web, for whom the bell tolls and a short passage of Ride The Lightning but it was mixed in with an interview with their tour manager at the time, the whole gig is probably in the Ride The Lightning re-master, it's great footage but I'm not splashing out that kind of money for it, if they release the Day on The Green show on a DVD I'd buy it alright, or any full show from their early career if someone shot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Only seeing this one now, I haven't heard of any digs at Jason from James in quite a while, other than James telling the truth that they took the piss out of him a lot and didn't quite treat him as an equal during his time in the band.

That interview Jason did with Scuzz about a year or two ago was a shocker that he was really out to put a halt on Jason's side project, the whole atmosphere between the two of them seemed pretty toxic in their final few months, if you see their final few months doing interviews and going to awards ceremonies you could see something was off, I think it was at some VH1 award thing that Jason wasn't even sitting with the 3 others but he arrived up on stage to collect the award, this would have been after James gave Jason the ultimatum that "other arrangements can be made" when Q Prime were interested in Echobrain and wanted to back it.

To be fair, if any of the members of Metallica had a side project going, James would have gotten jealous. It wasn't something specific to Jason.
    Jason makes a good point on that Scuzz interview about his hazing and how he was treated in general. Metallica deigned to take a kid from Michigan and let him in on their meteoric rise to the very top of the heavy music scene and the realisation of a total dream. For that, whatever bit of sh*t he went through was but a tiny price to pay, and hardly even a price at all, really.

Jason leaving Metallica was probably the thing that saved the band from breaking up entirely. They were in serious need of a break to center themselves away from the hectic schedule and general temptations one can encounter at that level of the music biz. He seemed to be the only one who saw that at the time. He was standing up for the integrity of the band in the face of management who, when it came down to it, have no interest in the well-being of their charges beyond what's needed to continue making money. An extended break would have hindered that. Phil Towle and trying to continue on in the face of mounting personal issues would not, at least in their view.

I've always loved Jason's intensity when he was with Metallica. That's something they stood to have lost when they hit it big, but they because they basically had this superfan playing with them, who believed and meant every note he played and sung along to every word, it made you believe it. Even in the Load era, when they totally should have become a bloated fur coat wearing train wreck, Jason was there to say, "We're metal, motherf*cker!".

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    To be fair, if any of the members of Metallica had a side project going, James would have gotten jealous. It wasn't something specific to Jason.
    Jason makes a good point on that Scuzz interview about his hazing and how he was treated in general. Metallica deigned to take a kid from Michigan and let him in on their meteoric rise to the very top of the heavy music scene and the realisation of a total dream. For that, whatever bit of sh*t he went through was but a tiny price to pay, and hardly even a price at all, really.

Jason leaving Metallica was probably the thing that saved the band from breaking up entirely. They were in serious need of a break to center themselves away from the hectic schedule and general temptations one can encounter at that level of the music biz. He seemed to be the only one who saw that at the time. He was standing up for the integrity of the band in the face of management who, when it came down to it, have no interest in the well-being of their charges beyond what's needed to continue making money. An extended break would have hindered that. Phil Towle and trying to continue on in the face of mounting personal issues would not, at least in their view.

I've always loved Jason's intensity when he was with Metallica. That's something they stood to have lost when they hit it big, but they because they basically had this superfan playing with them, who believed and meant every note he played and sung along to every word, it made you believe it. Even in the Load era, when they totally should have become a bloated fur coat wearing train wreck, Jason was there to say, "We're metal, motherf*cker!".

Yeah they probably should have taken that break like Jason requested, being that Jason was in bits with his neck and was hooked on painkillers, James was knocking back beer like there was no tomorrow, the management didn't really give a s**t if I remember the interview well enough, they just said something in the lines of "Oh guess you didn't talk him out of it huh??" and they pulled out all these papers that needed to be signed just like any other band meeting of a band of their caliber, and Lars apparently shouted at one of the managers "Did you hear? Did you hear what he just said??" the meeting sounded pretty f**king emotional and nuts in general.

They should have taken the year but I guess it was meant to happen, sometimes you'd wonder what things would have been like if Cliff had lived....or if Jason stayed. Actually when you think about it, if Cliff had lived Lars may have been fired like what Scott Ian heard while touring with them in 86, but he said also that cooler heads would have prevailed if they finished that tour and if the accident didn't happen.

Oh and another note, the entire Metallica Day on The Green, 85 Show wasn't filmed, I just read it under the unseen Ride The Lightning video, someone asked was there more footage and the admin said the whole show wasn't filmed, so I think we're lucky to have the two videos from it at the minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Record Store Day show is being streamed by the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Loved seeing that video in the article with Cliff playing Ride the Lightning. He was a powerhouse on that bass.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Loved seeing that video in the article with Cliff playing Ride the Lightning. He was a powerhouse on that bass.

Powerhouse of energy!! (Battery lyric) ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Just ordered the re-issue cd's from the MetStore. Assume I'll be seeing those at Christmas, given the shipping times

Just ordered the re-issue cd's from the MetStore. Assume I'll be seeing those at Christmas, given the shipping times

Meh...I wouldn't be bothered not that I don't appreciate that they'd sound better, what I heard sounds pretty cool, even the bootleg demo stuff they did before recording the full on albums. When I became a fan when I was about 14 I bought all their albums (except DM) throughout 2003 and still have them all, St.Anger being the first album (funnily enough), I heard a few of the older songs at the time but St. Anger actually was the first album I bought. Even if a lot of people hated the album it does have a significant value to me anyway but obviously it's not their best album.

I think Re-load was the second one I bought while on holiday in Tenerife I spotted it, followed later by Justice and The Black album on the same day if I remember right (because it was pocket money in those days for me and I bought them all between phone credit and other s**t you'd have needed then) then it was Puppets and after that Load, then Ride The Lightning, I got S&M and Garage Inc for Christmas then Kill Em All two days after Christmas. I'm pretty sure that was the order I got them in.

I remember buying the Binge & Purge boxset out of my first weeks wages in my first part time job as a bottle sorter/groundskeeper in a hotel the following year, was €60 for it and worth every penny, I keep any concert tickets I buy in the case of it for safe keeping as well as old ticket stubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 TheRealPONeill

why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I watched this during the week, Hetfield sounds and looks really healthy, full of energy.

Píssy tone from Hammet is ear wrenching. Bass is naturally solid.

The drums, how many time has he played these same tunes? He continues to progressively get worse.

Struggling through Jump in the Fire, snare wires weren't active either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nice import charges too, ordered a t-shirt a few months ago, got stung for 15quid (8 quid import tax and 7 from anpost for collecting it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nice import charges too, ordered a t-shirt a few months ago, got stung for 15quid (8 quid import tax and 7 from anpost for collecting it)

Considering I saw the damn things in a Golden Discs over the weekend, I am regretting this purchase a little . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Considering I saw the damn things in a Golden Discs over the weekend, I am regretting this purchase a little . . .

Depending how much the import charges are compared to how much Golden Discs were charging it may even be worthwhile refusing the delivery and picking them up at Golden Discs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »
    Depending how much the import charges are compared to how much Golden Discs were charging it may even be worthwhile refusing the delivery and picking them up at Golden Discs

Which is more shocking? The cost of buying from the Metallica store or Golden Discs actually stocking these?

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Through the never is on Film4 right now, never seen it before..

..pretty much a bad copy of cunning stunts with some extra unnecessary visual film cuts thrown in.

I really wish they'd stop pissing about on projects like this and put together new material sooner.

Saw it on Netflix about a year ago, the concert bits aren't bad, Ride The Lightning being the best bit of it, but I know it was a complete flop in the box office. I'm sure it was probably more impressive in 3D but I wasn't going to make the trip up to Dublin in order to see it, even if I'm a big fan.

They have gone a bit overboard with the vanity projects of late, just get an album out and tour like the old days ffs. Their Orion festival lost money too, they put way too much into that festival in my opinion between car shows, movie theatres, Kirk's movie memorabilia thing and whatever else they had, think of all the money they put into that including the staff they hired for it not to mention the other bands that played at it. Should have just kept it simple. Food, drink, security, toilets, good music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jesus christ, what is with retards down the front recording everything on their phones? Is it a compulsive disorder at this stage?

Bambi wrote: »
    Jesus christ, what is with retards down the front recording everything on their phones? Is it a compulsive disorder at this stage?

I'd understand it for pictures, but recording a gig that's being streamed on the web , it's just :confused: to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Finally got to look through the record store day show. I though tit was really good. With all the frills and fireworks taken away, you're reminded of how good these lads are. I think Kirk and Lars have even tightened their playing back together in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I'd understand it for pictures, but recording a gig that's being streamed on the web , it's just :confused: to me..

Yeah I hate that shyte, you go to a gig to enjoy yourself and see the band, not to try and record the band and get sore arms in the process.

Yeah I hate that shyte, you go to a gig to enjoy yourself and see the band, not to try and record the band and get sore arms in the process.

Funny you mention that, was at Machine Head in March, had the phone out cause Robb Flynn was standing in a perfect way to snap a picture, got the photo, put the phone back in the pocket.. But there was a guy at the barrier right next to me, and he caught Robb's attention, and not in a good way..Think he was annoyed that the guy was filming instead of enjoying himself.. Ironically enough the guy was in the pre-show meet & greet :pac:

And for a brief second, when Robb called the dude out on his filming, I thought he was actually talking to me.. I was bricking it thinking "Oh **** I've pissed off Robb Flynn", but thankfully it wasn't me...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I was at the Death Magnetic launch in the O2 London a few years back, and Hetfield called out everyone who was filming the gig. I think it was along the lines of "You're not going to get famous from a few minutes on Youtube. You can call your mom later. Put your phones away, and enjoy the gig". It was a damned good gig too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    I was at the Death Magnetic launch in the O2 London a few years back, and Hetfield called out everyone who was filming the gig. I think it was along the lines of "You're not going to get famous from a few minutes on Youtube. You can call your mom later. Put your phones away, and enjoy the gig". It was a damned good gig too :D

Remember it well,a few people around me looked a bit put out by what he said!

https://youtu.be/clqfjh_TeSU

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

lord lucan wrote: »
    Remember it well,a few people around me looked a bit put out by what he said!

https://youtu.be/clqfjh_TeSU

But most people put their cameras away. Damn, I'd forgotten how good Wolfy sounded that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭KH25

feylya wrote: »

I was there too, about 4 people from the rail. For the entire show, there was a guy beside me filming every second of every song. It just baffles me.

Advertisement