Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Mushy wrote: »
    Alice in Chains got the bump up, A7X got pushed to main sub. AIC should definitely have been in that position though.

Can't believe its been 10 years, was a quality day. Fell asleep in front row during A7X.

It was quality alright, makes me wish I had a time machine, even if I was 17 and couldn't get into the bar, I'd still love to relive that experience, have seen Metallica 3 times more after that, but that gig was magic, every band was great at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mushy wrote: »
    Alice in Chains got the bump up, A7X got pushed to main sub. AIC should definitely have been in that position though.

Can't believe its been 10 years, was a quality day. Fell asleep in front row during A7X.
    The weather was glorious that day as well. And I had a nice spot up at the very front.

I really enjoyed seeing Alice in Chains but A7X were just boring.

So you guys heard the new album is being mixed and Hetfield is hoping for an Autumn release?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    So you guys heard the new album is being mixed and Hetfield is hoping for an Autumn release?

What year?

What year?

Haha, this year surprisingly. Takes them about 2 months or so to mix an album give or take, unless they go all "Black album" on it and have it mixed 3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Haha, this year surprisingly. Takes them about 2 months or so to mix an album give or take, unless they go all "Black album" on it and have it mixed 3 times.

2 months (hopefully) to get it mixed and mastered, they are definitely on track for a (again) hopefully September release, with the one show in August, a new song to be released next month or August perhaps.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    2 months (hopefully) to get it mixed and mastered, they are definitely on track for a (again) hopefully September release, with the one show in August, a new song to be released next month or August perhaps.

My money is on late August for a new song, the day after they do their next show in the States, August 20/21st I think it is. Kind of like when Death Magnetic came out, they played at the Leeds Festival then the next day The Day That Never Comes was up on the web.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rick Rubin on production again, that doesn't fill me with hope on how good the sound will be, it amazes me how bad the production on DM is, these lads can afford the best and the production still sounds like sh1t, there are bands who aren't even full-time that have released albums that sound better.

Still looking forward to hearing it, I'm not expecting an all-time classic album, but still there should be a few decent tunes on it, Dystopia is a very good album, hope they can match that for quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Hearing Hetfield on the new Heart track was pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/QG8Mkmy_FaE

Rick Rubin on production again, that doesn't fill me with hope on how good the sound will be, it amazes me how bad the production on DM is, these lads can afford the best and the production still sounds like sh1t, there are bands who aren't even full-time that have released albums that sound better.

Still looking forward to hearing it, I'm not expecting an all-time classic album, but still there should be a few decent tunes on it, Dystopia is a very good album, hope they can match that for quality.

Rick Rubin's name hasn't been mentioned at all for the production mate, they are using Greg Fidelmen as producer, he did sort of co-produce DM, think he's doing the whole shebang this time around. There is no reports of Rubin being part of it.

It won't be a classic but I'm sure it'll at least top DM and that's enough for me, they are past their prime but still good to listen to at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Glad to hear its coming but you have to imagine this could probably be their last, its been 8 years since Death Magnetic so I can't see them releasing stuff when they are nearly 60.

They don't need to release new stuff anyway, there isn't much to be made doing it. They can just tour for the next 10 years and make a mint, people will still flock to see them play.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rick Rubin's name hasn't been mentioned at all for the production mate, they are using Greg Fidelmen as producer, he did sort of co-produce DM, think he's doing the whole shebang this time around. There is no reports of Rubin being part of it.

I'm pretty sure I heard Rubin was working with them a while ago, Fidelman mixed DM, so I wouldn't be confident about the production.

I hope it'll be more concise and it won't be another drawn out 78 minute album with a lot of filler, very few of my favourite albums are over 45 minutes, but given their tendency to drag the arse out of their last few albums that would be a huge shock if it was less than 73 minutes long.

I'm pretty sure I heard Rubin was working with them a while ago, Fidelman mixed DM, so I wouldn't be confident about the production.

I hope it'll be more concise and it won't be another drawn out 78 minute album with a lot of filler, very few of my favourite albums are over 45 minutes, but given their tendency to drag the arse out of their last few albums that would be a huge shock if it was less than 73 minutes long.

Recent quote from Lars from http://loudwire.com/metallica-lars-ulrich-diverse-less-frenetic-10th-studio-album/

“Hopefully it’ll be out in the fall, and it definitely sounds like Metallica,” Ulrich begins. “It’s probably a little less frenetic than the last record. The last one Rick Rubin really encouraged us to for the first time be inspired by our past. It was the first time we sort of looked in the rearview mirror. This time around it’s a little bit of a different thing. We’re not working with Rick, we’re working with the engineer from the last record, who’s producing, Greg Fidelman. So there’s some of the same production elements at play, but we’re expanding a little bit on the sonics. It’s probably a bit more of a diverse record than the last one.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Recent quote from Lars from http://loudwire.com/metallica-lars-ulrich-diverse-less-frenetic-10th-studio-album/

“Hopefully it’ll be out in the fall, and it definitely sounds like Metallica,” Ulrich begins. “It’s probably a little less frenetic than the last record. The last one Rick Rubin really encouraged us to for the first time be inspired by our past. It was the first time we sort of looked in the rearview mirror. This time around it’s a little bit of a different thing. We’re not working with Rick, we’re working with the engineer from the last record, who’s producing, Greg Fidelman. So there’s some of the same production elements at play, but we’re expanding a little bit on the sonics. It’s probably a bit more of a diverse record than the last one.”

This quote fills me with some hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

This quote fills me with some hope.

We'll on DM Rick walked into the room and said " make that louder, yeahh" blew his load into the trash can, and fcuked off. That's how his contribution was described by an unnamed insider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

We'll on DM Rick walked into the room and said " make that louder, yeahh" blew his load into the trash can, and fcuked off. That's how his contribution was described by an unnamed insider.

I've heard Cory Taylor say very similar things about working with Rick

I've heard Cory Taylor say very similar things about working with Rick

He isn't fond of him to put it lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Heard that alright, that's why I'm happy he's not working on this album. What kind of **** producer does that!?

Hopefully Greg will do us proud.

Yeah I heard Rick Rubin really isn't a hands on producer who is there note for note like Bob Rock was, reason why Metallica's records sounded so good and made them a household name.

Greg is meant to be putting his heart and soul into the album going by I think the same article posted above, those words "heart and soul" were used by Lars, I've been checking up on progress with the album almost on a daily basis. Very much looking forward to it.

18fd682c994c2759c2157a2e996fc274c3f1a5c5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I was enthused when they said the album was going to be taking more experimental directions, certainly it would be more diverse and less nostalgic as DM. I would personally love another Load type album, or at least a few songs where they're not afraid to be diverse and throw a curveball now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,856 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will we see a 2017 Euro Co headliner tour with Guns N Roses or is there too much agro from the last tour they did together ???

Imagine Metallica will hit the European festivals in summer 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will we see a 2017 Euro Co headliner tour with Guns N Roses or is there too much agro from the last tour they did together ???

Imagine Metallica will hit the European festivals in summer 2017

Don't think you'll ever see a Metallica/GN'R tour again,too much bad blood after the '92 run,Hetfield alone would veto any suggestion of it.

If they bring out a new album in the autumn I'd expect an indoor tour starting in the US to follow taking them through the winter in north America and hitting Europe in spring sometime.

A Metallica/Guns co-headlining tour as cool as it would be, would be a major no go, as Lord Lucan outlined above, RE: Hetfield vetoing any suggestion of it/plus the agro from the '92 co headlining run...

Then again many thought Slash being back in Guns would never happen, but yet it did.. so I'm gonna trot out the old cliché of Never Say Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A Metallica/Guns co-headlining tour as cool as it would be, would be a major no go, as Lord Lucan outlined above, RE: Hetfield vetoing any suggestion of it/plus the agro from the '92 co headlining run...

Then again many thought Slash being back in Guns would never happen, but yet it did.. so I'm gonna trot out the old clich of Never Say Never.

Another cliche is that money talks and bull**** walks...so Hetfield might just be told by Ulrich to keep his mouth shut for a few weeks and play the damn shows. They're old enough and rich enough to spend the whole Summer touring together and not even see each other

In America I'd argue they'd risk eating each others profits, but in Europe, it would be the perfect chance for two bands who could legitimately do a stadium type tour with each other and share the costs thereby increasing their profit margin. Share a crew etc, could really really work. One hell of a tour. One I'd love to see.

Also, Alice In Chains are currently opening for GNR in the US, so there's a huge connection right there. Hetfield gets to see his buddies if that happens and you get a fantastic opening band.

The Euro's lost a bit of value recently and remember they brought forward their tour a year a few years back because the dollar was expected to be strong?

They'd no album to support then though so I doubt they'd use that excuse to avoid us. And they have all that Italian suit money to keep them ticking over.

Another cliche is that money talks and bull**** walks...so Hetfield might just be told by Ulrich to keep his mouth shut for a few weeks and play the damn shows. They're old enough and rich enough to spend the whole Summer touring together and not even see each other

In America I'd argue they'd risk eating each others profits, but in Europe, it would be the perfect chance for two bands who could legitimately do a stadium type tour with each other and share the costs thereby increasing their profit margin. Share a crew etc, could really really work. One hell of a tour. One I'd love to see.

Also, Alice In Chains are currently opening for GNR in the US, so there's a huge connection right there. Hetfield gets to see his buddies if that happens and you get a fantastic opening band.

Ya money would be/is a powerful motivator for the tour to happen, would imagine what happened in Montreal 26 years ago would be long water under the bridge between both camps.. And Axl has cleaned up his onstage shenanigans.. So who knows what could happen, especially with Metallica having a new album on the horizon, and Axl touting the possibility of a new Guns album.. Guess it's all wait and see really...

Would be cool to see it happen..

Also spotted this on Metallica's sub reddit

384927696b7f3fa42065cc4ce4e94a936523e44f.png

Photo shoot for the new album perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

What would happen in a co-headline tour though? Would both bands split going last on stage? Can't see eiher band being particularily happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Also spotted this on Metallica's sub reddit

384927696b7f3fa42065cc4ce4e94a936523e44f.png

Naw it's for mojo magazine according to their instagram...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHSjDA7D46T/

Here what's the craic with Hetfield not liking gnr? Was it the whole rioting thing in Montreal, or is there more to it? I know in the year and a half he's taking the piss out of axls "ego ramp", and the honey on their rider. But is there more that I'm missing?

Also very happy they're not touting this album as death magnetic ii.

Advertisement