Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    I did the Manchester and 2 Birmingham shows on this tour.

Manchester is one of my fav times seeing them, they opened wit 'Of Wolf and Man' which was/is pretty damn rare
    Wow, that is rare, I have never heard of that:eek:

Sorry, my mistake, 'Wherever i may Roam' they opened with, why the fcuk i wrote wolf i'll never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Sorry, my mistake, 'Wherever i may Roam' they opened with, why the fcuk i wrote wolf i'll never know

That is still rare enough though, haven't really heard of them opening with that

Although Cunning Stunts opened with 'So What' and no 'Ecstasy of Gold'

That is still rare enough though, haven't really heard of them opening with that

Although Cunning Stunts opened with 'So What' and no 'Ecstasy of Gold'

I've seen them open with So What quite a few times, and i didn't like the way they started the show on that tour, no intro, no lights, full house lights on and just ran onstage and started to Jam..

I wanna hear 'Ecstasy of Gold'

I've seen them open with So What quite a few times, and i didn't like the way they started the show on that tour, no intro, no lights, full house lights on and just ran onstage and started to Jam..

I guess so, just looking forward to the next tour to see what they come up with, want more "In The Round" and need another arena date in Dublin (and more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I wanna hear 'Ecstasy of Gold'

I was on the rail for the Dublin show in '96 and hadn't a clue how the gig was due to start. No internet,only Kerrang/Metal Hammer & Raw for gig reviews. Loads of people started screaming and suddenly Lars comes jogging past high-fiving the crowd!! There was a collective WTF?!! as they hopped onstage and started jamming the yet to be recorded 'Memory Remains' and then rolled into So What with the house lights on for half the song.

It was sort of novel at the time but now i view TEOG as an integral part of the show(as well as the preceding intro-Saxon's Heavy Metal Thunder). It's not a Metallica show without it.

• Advertisement

And here's how the gig in '96 kicked off:

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was on the rail for the Dublin show in '96 and hadn't a clue how the gig was due to start. No internet,only Kerrang/Metal Hammer & Raw for gig reviews. Loads of people started screaming and suddenly Lars comes jogging past high-fiving the crowd!! There was a collective WTF?!! as they hopped onstage and started jamming the yet to be recorded 'Memory Remains' and then rolled into So What with the house lights on for half the song.

It was sort of novel at the time but now i view TEOG as an integral part of the show(as well as the preceding intro-Saxon's Heavy Metal Thunder). It's not a Metallica show without it.

Don't ya mean AC/DC's 'It's a long way to the top'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah, that's what he means

They ditched that in October '08 at the start of the WM tour and started using Heavy Metal Thunder instead. Great when you're in an arena and you hear the crackle of thunder over the PA and then the song starts. You know what's coming next.

They ditched that in October '08 at the start of the WM tour and started using Heavy Metal Thunder instead. Great when you're in an arena and you hear the crackle of thunder over the PA and then the song starts. You know what's coming next.

95% sure they played DC at Marley in 09

• Advertisement

Here's HMT followed by TEOG from Argentina in January this year.

Belfast in particular this year was class,a lot of the crowd were obviously 'regulars' at Metallica shows as they went nuts when HMT started playing over the PA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

And here's how the gig in '96 kicked off:

was at that gig. CoC were great as support too...

I know this is a little off topic but when I saw Motley Crue at Sonisphere their intro was the most abstract AC/DC song in the world....but did fit...

I was there when he brought his daughter onstage to sign her Happy Birthday in 2006. I'll be honest, a part of me died inside, and I think this "fun" interview is a sign that we will never get that raw energy and aggression back that was present for those lucky enough to have seen them in 1992 and before. Lord Lucan I'm looking at you.

http://www.rockaaa.com/news/dad-hetfield-minds-his-language-1229
    Metallica frontman James Hetfield says the band’s shows are more family-oriented since he became a parent.

The singer and guitarist doesn’t like to play So What because he has a son and two daughters who might take the lyrics as permission to use bad language.

And he’s still astonished so many people round the world want to hear the music his band make for themselves.

For the record, So What has been performed 23 times since 2004 and was last performed in Utah on November 3rd 2008

Tbh i'm glad they don't play So What much anymore,it's lost it's aggression over the years and lacks the anger it had. James regularly dropped the word 'cnut' from the song,just wasn't the same(Yes,i do realise i'm 36 and not 16!:pac:).

It was always going to be strange seeing a man who was admired in many ways for almost verbally abusing audiences over the years suddenly talking about the 'Metallica Family' and picking out kids in the audience. The lack of swearing doesn't bother me and if i'm honest i've loved watching Hetfield on this last tour,smiling,laughing,thoroughly enjoying playing in front of adoring fans.

Just managed to get a tour programme from The Black Album UK Tour, a local seller had it among a load of old 2nd hand books in a charity store, and I was amazed to find it there in such good condition. I snapped it up and will cherish the bloody thing until I'm old and can no longer listen to the band (either due to deafness or because our Chinese overlords forbid Metal music)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

For those who have never seen it

19833_303661201202_272423591202_5106869_5329018_n.jpg

That was my first ever Metallica gig. 'Twas ****ing insane. The gig in '96 topped it though....i thought the "collapsing" rig idea was ****ing crazy. Have seen them a total of 9 times over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

165154_10150112938926004_556231003_7486495_3379838_n.jpg

This is from 2003, a rather pathetic excuse for a Metallica performance, their appearance on Top of the Pop's - believe it or not, they agreed to play when St Anger (doesn't make it clear whether it's the single or the album) reached No 9 in the charts on this particular week. Joe "I'm so excited about everything" Whiley gives the intro....

The band return later in the show to play Frantic to a bemused looking audience

Both songs are heavily cut, both due to restrictions and also the fact the poster doesn't have the entire tape, and some "fans" headbang along in the front audience while most of the regular Top of the Pop's audience reckon if they stand still and say nothing they might just get away with this.

Having said that, Nirvana performed on Top of the Pops, of course at least Kurt Cobain had the good sense to purposely sing the wrong lyrics in a statement about miming (James is singing live btw)

At least SoundGarden were just allowed pre record a concert

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TrimTOODLE

Marlay Park 08
    016.jpg
    015.jpg
    014.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Belfast 12th May 2010

28409_438369134672_625764672_5309766_5509257_n.jpg

28409_438369729672_625764672_5309827_3559206_n.jpg

28409_438370099672_625764672_5309856_6750488_n.jpg

28409_438370114672_625764672_5309858_1680577_n.jpg

28409_438357374672_625764672_5309552_3486472_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

At least SoundGarden were just allowed pre record a concert

Metallica did this too during the Load tour. Hero of the Day from Madrid if I remember correctly.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Metallica did this too during the Load tour. Hero of the Day from Madrid if I remember correctly.

You're right, but it was Barcelona.

They opened with Hero of the Day and played it twice, then started the regular set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Oooooh, so close.

Must give Load and Re-Load a listen to one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I have my Met ticket from 92 and 96 somewhere upstairs! I preferred the 96 gig, I thought it was way better, and James's vocals were spot on.
    Kind of peed off I didn't go and see them the last few years for old times sake.
    I got tired of the setlist, the usual ones, Seek and Destroy. I don't like Enter Sandman live at all. But the DM stuff seems to stand up live, and looks like they have changed the setlist a bit in the last year which is good.
    Recent livd dvds have too many of the usual suspects on them, but I suppose if that's what folk want, that's what they'll get....
    I have Cunning Stunts, but see no reason to get any of the later stuff, if only to see the DM stuff live....
    I remember taping the Woodstock set, the first time they played. That was pretty sh*thot. I wouldn't mind getting an audio or video copy of that....

feylya wrote: »
    28409_438370099672_625764672_5309856_6750488_n.jpg

Hetfield rejoices at being back in the land of Tayto!:pac:

seachto7 wrote: »
    I have my Met ticket from 92 and 96 somewhere upstairs! I preferred the 96 gig, I thought it was way better, and James's vocals were spot on.

The '96 show always has a special place in my heart. Fantastic show,properly in the round(the '92 show had the diamond stage pushed up against the back wall of the Point) and great sound. The Load stuff sounded great live and they played the Macarena!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The '96 show always has a special place in my heart. Fantastic show,properly in the round(the '92 show had the diamond stage pushed up against the back wall of the Point) and great sound. The Load stuff sounded great live and they played the Macarena!:D

Don't remember that lol.

Don't remember that lol.

I have it on the audio bootleg,if i get a chance over the next few days i'll upload it to YouTube. They were messing about,James said something like "You wanna dance to the Macarena?" and they played a messy jam version of it for a minute. Think that was the big summer song of '96,they probably heard it everywhere they went in Europe that year.

• Advertisement

They opened with Hero of the Day and played it twice, then started the regular set

Never seen this before, never heard about it

Here it is

Advertisement