Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »
    What would happen in a co-headline tour though? Would both bands split going last on stage? Can't see eiher band being particularily happy with that.

IF they did it again, and i'm 100% behind Lord Lucan in saying that it won't, then Metallica would always go on first, play their show, bank the money and let Axl do what axl does.

They talked about this a lot on the tour they did, they just wanted to go up and play without having to wait for Axl to turn up and start, hence why they always opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

certainly it would be more diverse and less nostalgic as DM

I didn't find DM nostalgic, There was an element of trying to be nostalgic and fast guitar playing, with Hetfield screaming into the mic most of the time, personally I only liked 1 song on that album, My Apocalypse, the rest was a good attempt at going back to before, it was listenable compared to St Anger. But now I'd love to see some technical stuff like on Justice, a mix of justice puppets and 1 or 2 off Black would be nice

The lads are in a very different place now, Lords of summer was a very good track, long and you can hear the justice influence in it, if the album is like that, bring it on :)

I would personally love another Load type album

Oh Jesus no........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Oh Jesus no........

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

I didn't find DM nostalgic, There was an element of trying to be nostalgic and fast guitar playing, with Hetfield screaming into the mic most of the time, personally I only liked 1 song on that album, My Apocalypse, the rest was a good attempt at going back to before, it was listenable compared to St Anger. But now I'd love to see some technical stuff like on Justice, a mix of justice puppets and 1 or 2 off Black would be nice

The lads are in a very different place now, Lords of summer was a very good track, long and you can hear the justice influence in it, if the album is like that, bring it on :)

Yeah, they're in a different place now. They're now 50-something year old millionaires who seem mostly content with life. I would say this has a lot to do with the wait as well. What can you say at that age and that level of comfort that would also conform to the traditional Metallica attitude in a way that comes across as honest. Like with our oil reserves, they must now drill ever deeper and sift the sediment in order to find something useful where before it was leaking out of the topsoil. This is why going 'back' in any way - it's not that it's not being done for impure reasons, but you can't go back to a place you're not at.

I might have said it before but I'll say it again that while Saint Anger was a somewhat monotonous record, musically, and its production was rough around the edges (by design, to be fair) it was a total blowout, in cathartic terms, for Hetfield. I can't ever fault a man for moving past his issues, but it would seem like it was those issues that provided Hetfield with a bulk of his inspiration.

As for what the next record should sound like. Well, I'm sure at this stage it's sounding like it is. I don't want to be saying it should sound like Rob Zombie meets Merle Haggard while it's already mostly in the can sounding like DM pt. II, but I will say that I think it's a pity that in 8 years, if DM pt. II is the case, that this is all the progression they could come out with. In times past, 8 years meant a totally different band, almost. Go from '88 to '96 and that's a hell of a transformation. To me, Metallica was never about conforming to one particular musical style, more about "We're gonna do what we like to do and f*ck you if you don't like it." That's kind of why I have a little soft spot for Lulu. People hated it and I kind of like that, and they didn't hate it because it was trendy corporate rock, but because it kind of grated on the ears, because Lou's voice was so out of place with the music.

I will concede that Metallica may well be doing exactly what they like, and if that means sounding pretty much the same from now 'til the end of their career, then fair play, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

certainly it would be more diverse and less nostalgic as DM

I would personally love another Load type album

Oh Jesus no........

I disagree, think there was a lot of value in diversity and there are a few great tracks on that album

• Advertisement

I disagree, think there was a lot of value in diversity and there are a few great tracks on that album

A few great tracks yes but a lot of filler over the 2 albums (more on ReLoad though I'd admit).

1 track, "waste my hate", you can hear the U2 bono influence from Zooropa on that record, Hetfield mimics bono repeatedly, give it a whirl there and you'll see what I'm talking about. U2 was definitely an influence in the Load era.

Most people I know that like U2, like load and re-load, but don't like any of the heavier albums.

A few great tracks yes but a lot of filler over the 2 albums (more on ReLoad though I'd admit).

That is true, though I was originally under the impression that ReLoad was never meant to be released...at least not judged as an "official" album since the tracks were things they recorded for Load but decided weren't good enough. Then Ulrich was like "oh yeah, money" and it also meant they could release an album and not have to stop touring from promoting the last one at the time to record and master it.

And, shocking as it is, even with those "leftovers" you only get one co-credit from Jason Newsted; giving you the impression (at the time) that he took very little part in Metallica's writing process and was only a hired hand. Then we learned more about it, of course.

And this is what Metallica have now turned into

20160629_010017_7549_932939.jpeg

I must confess I miss the whole swearing beer drinking dress simply in black and play from the first five albums band they used to be....maybe Hetfield grew up....fair enough, but I do regret never having been able to see the band at that stage in their career.

Specially, Freddie Mercury Tribute concert 1992, that kinda era

That is true, though I was originally under the impression that ReLoad was never meant to be released...at least not judged as an "official" album since the tracks were things they recorded for Load but decided weren't good enough. Then Ulrich was like "oh yeah, money" and it also meant they could release an album and not have to stop touring from promoting the last one at the time to record and master it.

That's not my memory or understanding of it at all. According to our old friend Wikipedia:

The original idea was to release Load and Reload as a double album. However, with problems recording so many songs at one time, the band decided that half of the songs were to be released and the band would continue to work on the remaining songs and release them the following year. Speaking about the recording sessions in an interview for Guitar World, guitarist Kirk Hammett stated that "We were gonna do them both as a double album, but we didn't want to spend that long in the studio. Also, if we did a double album, it would have been a lot more material for people to digest, and some of it might have gotten lost in the shuffle."

I've read Lars saying something similar recently (on the 20th anniversary of Load's release) but can't remember where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

That's not my memory or understanding of it at all. According to our old friend Wikipedia:

The original idea was to release Load and Reload as a double album. However, with problems recording so many songs at one time, the band decided that half of the songs were to be released and the band would continue to work on the remaining songs and release them the following year. Speaking about the recording sessions in an interview for Guitar World, guitarist Kirk Hammett stated that "We were gonna do them both as a double album, but we didn't want to spend that long in the studio. Also, if we did a double album, it would have been a lot more material for people to digest, and some of it might have gotten lost in the shuffle."

I've read Lars saying something similar recently (on the 20th anniversary of Load's release) but can't remember where.

I recall Lars saying that they were offered the headline at Lollapalooza in 96 and decided to do that , release what had been finished (Load) and then go back and polish the rest a year later, all 27 songs were to be released in one album originally

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone good with German?, from what I saw in the article, album October 14th, release date for the long awaited 10th album perhaps?

http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/musik/metallica/an-diesem-tag-erscheint-das-neue-album-46650794.bild.html

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Anyone good with German?, from what I saw in the article, album October 14th, release date for the long awaited 10th album perhaps?

http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/musik/metallica/an-diesem-tag-erscheint-das-neue-album-46650794.bild.html

Yeah October 14th , read it on blabbermouth this morning.

Yeah October 14th , read it on blabbermouth this morning.

Good news. Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I'd imagine that'll be when it lands, next stage is mastering. They should play a new song at their next US show at the end of August.

Should be good hopefully. Let the hype begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Are BILD even reliable? I want to believe that the new album comes out October 14th, but gonna take it with a grain of salt until I see otherwise.

For anyone experienced in the technical side of making an album, how long would mixing/mastering usually take to get done?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Are BILD even reliable? I want to believe that the new album comes out October 14th, but gonna take it with a grain of salt until I see otherwise.

For anyone experienced in the technical side of making an album, how long would mixing/mastering usually take to get done?

Usually it takes at least Metallica, 2 to 3 months these days. Death Magnetic took that length anyway if I remember right. Think it was the end of May 2008 or something when mixing and mastering was done on that. Better to wait till it's been confirmed out of Lars's mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    next stage is mastering.

That's where the last album came a cropper. Thankfully the loudness wars seem to have abated in the years since Death Magnetic was released.

So Jason Newsted has come out of the woodwork, and is doing a new project.

Details here

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-is-back-with-would-and-steal/

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    So Jason Newsted has come out of the woodwork, and is doing a new project.

Details here

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-metallica-bassist-jason-newsted-is-back-with-would-and-steal/

This makes me really happy, i've been really concerned about his well being, glad he's taking steps back to something he loves, i'll support him no matter what he does, my fav Metallica member ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't believe I only just heard the Guitar Hero 3 mix of Death Magnetic only today, its a huge difference. How could the band not hear the difference, no distortion and the vocal tracks are laid down at the same volume as the everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

rob316 wrote: »
    Can't believe I only just heard the Guitar Hero 3 mix of Death Magnetic only today, its a huge difference.

Yeah, the clipping/distortion isn't there on the GH mix of Death Magnetic. The GH 'mix' of the album sounds a lot better than the retail CD version, although I still only like about three songs on it!

Hopefully the new album this year will be an improvement...

Okon wrote: »
    Yeah, the clipping/distortion isn't there on the GH mix of Death Magnetic. The GH 'mix' of the album sounds a lot better than the retail CD version, although I still only like about three songs on it!

Hopefully the new album this year will be an improvement...

We had a few pages discussed about this a while back. GH is the only version of justice with bass too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

We had a few pages discussed about this a while back. GH is the only version of justice with bass too.

Wait, really? I knew about the GH version of DM, but knew nothing about the ...and justice version having bass! Think I need to investigate this further

Also I have DM on vinyl. It sounds a lot better than the cd / digital release imo

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Wait, really? I knew about the GH version of DM, but knew nothing about the ...and justice version having bass!

Strangely enough, I like AJFA the way it is. It's a solid album that still sounds good. It will be interesting to hear the album remastered a la the Kill 'Em All & RTL remasters released earlier this year though, if/when they get around to it... but I am not expecting to hear much more Bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Strangely enough, I like AJFA the way it is. It's a solid album that still sounds good. It will be interesting to hear the album remastered a la the Kill 'Em All & RTL remasters released earlier this year though, if/when they get around to it... but I am not expecting to hear much more Bass.

See that's the thing! I've said it in this thread before, but ajfa was my first metal album I ever heard, so in my mind that's how metal sounds. I know people b!tch about Jason getting dialled out, but the sound of that album is so tight, as a result of the scooped mids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I never noticed the lack of bass on Justice until I finally upgraded from my trusty walkman to a CD player. I initially thought it was defective!

Anyway, seeing as we're talking of that album, here's an article on the recording of One.

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/metallica-one-classic-tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

See that's the thing! I've said it in this thread before, but ajfa was my first metal album I ever heard, so in my mind that's how metal sounds. I know people b!tch about Jason getting dialled out, but the sound of that album is so tight, as a result of the scooped mids.

ST seemed to go for the same thing with Lights, Camera, Revolution, which is another great album from that time.

Anthrax flirted with it on Persistence of Time, but you can hear the bass all over it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Justice is my favorite album, the drums especially are brilliant, lars was at his best.

• Advertisement

Justice is my favorite album, the drums especially are brilliant, lars was at his best.

And around that time the band were on fire live, lucky enough to see them 3 times on the UK leg of the justice tour, something else

Advertisement