Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

scudzilla wrote: »
    i bought a t shirt from the metstore, think it was 25euro, paid 14euro import charge, 7 charge and 7 for anpost for collecting it :mad:

Happened me too, had to buy this white And Justice For All t-shirt, they are hard to get here, so I treated myself, sickened then when I had to pay in or around the same money for the import charge. Hard to regret it, love that t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Happened me too, had to buy this white And Justice For All t-shirt, they are hard to get here, so I treated myself, sickened then when I had to pay in or around the same money for the import charge. Hard to regret it, love that t-shirt.

http://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0428958001.html

scudzilla wrote: »

Well it was this one I wanted, at the time I couldn't get it even on the European store, it was only on the US one, don't know if even it's on the European store now. Might be, must check...you could get like knock off ones but they fall apart in the wash.

https://metallica.com/store/clothing/5457/and-justice-for-all-album-cover-t-shirt

Anyone on wikipedia?

Apparently there is an 18 minute long song on the album and one 12 minute long one?

Going by wikipedia, Metallica are going down the Dream Theater road again with the progressive songs. Wonder is there any truth in it..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That sounds good, the main riff sounds like that bit the crowd sing on live versions of Seek and Destroy, and a bit of All Nightmare Long in there as well.

I wish they had more short, concise tracks like that on recent albums, why can't they just make a 45-50 minute album instead of dragging the arse out of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

Anyone on wikipedia?

Apparently there is an 18 minute long song on the album and one 12 minute long one?

Going by wikipedia, Metallica are going down the Dream Theater road again with the progressive songs. Wonder is there any truth in it..

It's nice to know that speculation like that isn't totally gone out the window in the age of the Internet. An 18 minute song would certainly be interesting, but for me it would get boring if it consisted simply of a patchwork of riffs and a couple of solos. You'd really need something grand to hold the interest and for that length of time it'd be a bit of a tall order.

The new song is enjoyable enough. It's basically DM pt. 2, to my ears. I had hoped for something a bit more progressive as I remember a time when 8 years in the life of Metallica gave you an almost totally different band, but I'm sure a lot of people will also be happy to have a continuation of DM direction - just simple straight-ahead metal. I'd say Newsted is holed up in his ranch, headbanging to this as we speak.

That sounds good, the main riff sounds like that bit the crowd sing on live versions of Seek and Destroy, and a bit of All Nightmare Long in there as well.

I wish they had more short, concise tracks like that on recent albums, why can't they just make a 45-50 minute album instead of dragging the arse out of everything.

I hear a little "That Was Just Your Life" in there, at around 1.43 onwards? It's not identical but it sounds a little bit similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I really like that...better be more like it on the album. Live, there's not a hope of Lars doing that double bass.

Also the drums can never be too loud, though I may be biased.

briany wrote: »
    It's nice to know that speculation like that isn't totally gone out the window in the age of the Internet. An 18 minute song would certainly be interesting, but for me it would get boring if it consisted simply of a patchwork of riffs and a couple of solos. You'd really need something grand to hold the interest and for that length of time it'd be a bit of a tall order.

The new song is enjoyable enough. It's basically DM pt. 2, to my ears. I had hoped for something a bit more progressive as I remember a time when 8 years in the life of Metallica gave you an almost totally different band, but I'm sure a lot of people will also be happy to have a continuation of DM direction - just simple straight-ahead metal. I'd say Newsted is holed up in his ranch, headbanging to this as we speak.

It would be interesting to hear an 18 minute long song, but I thought they were sick of doing lengthy songs, being why they changed direction after Justice and onto the black album, they changed their dynamic a bit. Plus I heard a story about them getting sick of playing And Justice for All on tour in 1989 and they were fed up of seeing the audience yawn at the 6th or 7th minute and they got off stage and said "We're never playing that f**king song again" and they didn't play it again in full till 2007!

Imagine them playing an 18 minute long song, I think fans would sort of complain unless it's super epic, because their shows are only 2 hours now. They'd rarely play it I'd imagine and film it anytime they do so fans all over the globe wouldn't miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Will it be 18 minutes of them rehashing snippets of riffs from 20+ years ago and hoping no one notices because the snare is so loud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was not expecting this tonight, love the song real kill me all/80's Metallica vibe off it . Can't wait for the new album

World Tour in 2017/18 to follow I'd say. Last Dublin date was Marley park in 2009 hopefully an indoor or stadium show this time round

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was not expecting this tonight, love the song real kill me all/80's Metallica vibe off it . Can't wait for the new album

World Tour in 2017/18 to follow I'd say. Last Dublin date was Marley park in 2009 hopefully an indoor or stadium show this time round

I'd imagine it'll be Marlay Park again, if it's Slane I'm going to be pissed off, pain in the hole of a place to get to, and get out of after a show. It's a good venue but it's a pain in the hole in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

It would be interesting to hear an 18 minute long song, but I thought they were sick of doing lengthy songs, being why they changed direction after Justice and onto the black album, they changed their dynamic a bit. Plus I heard a story about them getting sick of playing And Justice for All on tour in 1989 and they were fed up of seeing the audience yawn at the 6th or 7th minute and they got off stage and said "We're never playing that f**king song again" and they didn't play it again in full till 2007!

Imagine them playing an 18 minute long song, I think fans would sort of complain unless it's super epic, because their shows are only 2 hours now. They'd rarely play it I'd imagine and film it anytime they do so fans all over the globe wouldn't miss it.

I can't think of any pop or rock act who's ever done a song of that length that would electrify a live audience. There are bands who've done songs of that length, but they tend to be slow meandering odysseys. Even on the relatively good ones, they still offer a good opportunity for a p*ss break.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't they struggle to sell out Marlay last time? unless they have a sudden, inexplicable spike in popularity in this country like AC/DC, can't see them playing Slane unless its a co-headline with another big act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't they struggle to sell out Marlay last time? unless they have a sudden, inexplicable spike in popularity in this country like AC/DC, can't see them playing Slane unless its a co-headline with another big act.

yeah, they did struggle, a LOT of comps were given out that day, guessing they'd play there again though, or maybe Kilmainham as that's a lot smaller

I don't think they'd really care about selling it out, there was more than enough there last time when they had Alice in Chains and Avenged Sevenfold there with them, think they like to have it there and well out of the city like years before when they had it in the RDS. It'll pull in the dosh regardless and the traffic won't be a nightmare like one time when I saw them at the RDS, was stuck in Dublin half the night on a bus, hadn't the money for a hotel then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just listened to the new song Hardwired. Sounds similar to That Was Just Your Life from Death Magnetic, Which I think is grand. Can't wait for the new album.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Just listened to the new song Hardwired. Sounds similar to That Was Just Your Life from Death Magnetic, Which I think is grand. Can't wait for the new album.

Thought the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Aviva or RDS with a solid support line up ??? please not Slane or Punchestown

prob be Marlay Park like in 2008/2009. Remember they were due to play Fairyhouse Racecourse in 2009 but it was changed to Marlay Park ???

A show in the 3arena would kick ass. Missed the indoor belfast shows in 2010 :(

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Aviva or RDS with a solid support line up ??? please not Slane or Punchestown

prob be Marlay Park like in 2008/2009. Remember they were due to play Fairyhouse Racecourse in 2009 but it was changed to Marlay Park ???

A show in the 3arena would kick ass. Missed the indoor belfast shows in 2010 :(

Oh yeah I remember when they changed that alright, it was changed before the tickets went on sale if I remember right.

The Aviva now would be something else but I can't see it happening. 3Arena might be too small considering they always want to bring a couple of bands with them when they do the summer European shows. I was at the second show they did in Belfast in 2010, was f**king awesome. I could only get seating tickets though, it sold that well.

I'd say it'll be between the RDS and Marlay Park. I think Marlay will get it again, because of the traffic it would create in the city if the RDS was chosen. Wouldn't be terrible for Marlay Park, it's not the worst place in the world to get to.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking about the lyrics...

"We're so f***d, s**t out of luck"

Wonder if Kirk came up with the lyrics after losing his iPhone with over 200 musical ideas, and a ton of riffs were on it that could have been on the album. The phone wasn't backed up or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So 12 songs on the album but 14 songs on the demos disc. So is that 2 different demos of a couple of songs or demos of 2 songs that aren't on the album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Gonna buck the trend and say I hope it's not Marlay park if they do return. I think that place suffers from too many "event junkies" on any of the gigs I've ever been there. Plus it's an absolute pain in the hole to get to from the northside. Three arena gets my vote, I really want to see them indoors again!

On the song itself, yep sounds like the riff from That was just you Life mashed with the lyrics from My Apocalypse, and that's just fine with me!

Delighted the mastering isn't dimed like on DM. Snare is a bit loud, but not overly so in my opinion. Hetfield sounds great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'd rather an album of 4 - 5 minute songs with the odd long one (or 18 minute one) to balance it out.

What's worse is an album where every track is 7 - 8 minutes long. The last two albums (excluding Lulul) suffered from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Hardwired is a decent tune, shame about the lyrics...

As for a gig, myself and my bro were talking about going over to the UK to see them. The last good show was the RDS in 2006, prior to that was the point gigs. Marley has awful sound, if there's half of a breeze you can say goodbye to the sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Sounds like Death Magnetic with a bit more 80s metallica blended in, I can get on board with this.

Shame about the lyrics right enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I've been to Marlay Park twice, and it is a mighty pain in the hole to get to, so hoping for something in the city centre. Id love another RDS show.

Not sure what to make of the song. The drums are not good at all. There sound like a cross between Death Magnetic, and that tinny St. Anger drum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is ulrich wearing a jonny on his head in that video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bambi wrote: »
    Is ulrich wearing a jonny on his head in that video?

No lol. It's that beanie he's been wearing since the St Anger days!!

Shave off all yer hair man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I think the song is a pile of sh*te.

Advertisement