Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭briany

All based on their 1983-1991 output though

Most bands' success is built on their early years. Megadeth and Slayer et al. aren't really any different. But while Metallica drove off a good amount of older fans with Load, new fans seemed to come aboard also, so there was obviously still an audience buying into what they were selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jason's interview with Eddie Trunk from last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

briany wrote: »
    I said more relevant, talking about their public appeal and general influence, and record sales (and I don't see any other band in this forum in need of a superthread to contain all the chatter about them). A Metallica release will always be the more hotly anticipated thing in heavy music circles, and music press generally than any other band Metallica have been lumped in with.

Well if you intended to just tell me Metallica were a mainstream band you sure had a funny roundabout way of saying so.

Anyway record sales?? St. Anger sold 6 feckin' million...that means nothin to me it just tells me 6 million including myself bought a terrible album.

Of course a Metallica release is gonna be hotly anticipated they take so long to bother making one, and of course they'll make music mag covers whenever possible saw recently even in the shop the other day the headline on one Metal Hammer I believe...Hetfield:"Load was a big F U to Metal". They're stuck this month I thought to myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Anyways, I finally got round to giving Hardwired a proper listen and once you get past James' clumsy attempts at expressing his angst it's actually not bad. It's certainly a far better opening salvo than the day that never whatever...

Fidelman in particular deserves high praise. He's gotten the best documentation of the Metallica sound since the mid 90's. Just goes to show that Rubin was probably the one who had the genius idea of brickwalling the last album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

briany wrote: »
    I said more relevant, talking about their public appeal and general influence, and record sales (and I don't see any other band in this forum in need of a superthread to contain all the chatter about them). A Metallica release will always be the more hotly anticipated thing in heavy music circles, and music press generally than any other band Metallica have been lumped in with.
    I can't even see the new Metallica album being the most acclaimed thrash metal album of 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Got a copy of back to the front this morning. Liking it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Touring in support of Hardwired... To Self Destruct starts later next month in Latin America
    It’s on!!! As we put the finishing touches on Hardwired…To Self-Destruct we’re also getting ready to hit the road for the first of many headlining shows around the world. To kick it all off we’re returning to five cities we know will absolutely rock hard with all kinds of crazy Metalli-love and get this tour started right! First up we travel to Latin America with stops in Puerto Rico, Ecuador, Colombia, Guatemala and Costa Rica. All the dates and ticket information, including presales for the Fifth Members, is below. We can’t think of a better place to get the juices flowing and set the table for many more shows to come!

We are beyond excited to get out there, visit all of you and test out some of the new songs live. Keep watching here for many more announcements in the coming weeks!!

*All times local

October 26: San Juan, Puerto Rico, Coliseo de Puerto Rico
    Fifth Member Presale: September 8 at 10:00 AM, ends September 9 at 5:00 PM
    Click here for details on the Fifth Member Presale
    On sale: September 10 at 10:00 AM

October 29: Quito, Ecuador, Parque Bicentenario
    Fifth Member Presale: September 8 at 9:00 AM, ends September 9 at 4:00 PM
    On sale: September 10 starting at 12:01 AM

November 1: Bogotá, Colombia, Hipódromo De Los Andes
    Fifth Member Presale: September 13 at 10:00 AM, ends September 14 at 10:00 PM
    On sale: September 18 at 10:00 AM

November 3: Guatemala City, Guatemala, Estadio Cementos Progreso
    Fifth Member Presale: September 8 at 8:00 AM, ends September 9 at 3:00 PM
    On sale: September 10 at 10:00 AM

November 5: San José, Costa Rica, Estadio Nacional
    Fifth Member Presale: September 13 at 10:00 AM, ends September 14 at 10:00 PM
    On sale: September 22 at 10:00 AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Touring in support of Hardwired... To Self Destruct starts later next month in Latin America

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but a promoter over here will have to request a gig, I hope promoters are going to look at this as an opportunity.

I'm trying to burst your bubble, but a promoter over here will have to request a gig, I hope promoters are going to look at this as an opportunity.

I've tempered my hopes of a Metallica Irish show, if it happens, all well and good, if not it's a short trip over to England..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

What are the thoughts on the likely venue if they do play here? Would like the 3arena over Marley anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I've tempered my hopes of a Metallica Irish show, if it happens, all well and good, if not it's a short trip over to England..

Oh there'll be an Irish show for sure, they never miss anywhere during their first phase of heavy touring once the album is out, actually I wouldn't be surprised if they did a show in Ireland in 2017 and 2018 in summer, outdoor venues I would imagine.

Once the album runs out of steam, their European shows go picky and choosey, and they'll just go for the festivals like in Germany and the UK and Denmark will be on the list because of Lars. I'm thinking there'll be an Irish show between June and August next year. Maybe Marlay Park in July? Always concerts in there in July. Hope we get the weather for it.

Degag wrote: »
    What are the thoughts on the likely venue if they do play here? Would like the 3arena over Marley anyday.

Anywhere but Slane or Marlay Park.. So either The Point, Landsdowne Road, or Croke Park..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anywhere but Slane or Marlay Park.. So either The Point, Landsdowne Road, or Croke Park..

Forget the last 2, the days of Metallica pulling 40k + over here have long gone, if they were ever here in the first place. The last Marlay gig was very poorly attended, with shed loads of comps being given out in the week leading up to the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sound quality in landsdowne is meant to be shocking though so take it off. My preferred is the point (baring the ambassador, button factory, or some other bad ass small venue)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

first tour dates of the new tour

rumblings of North American dates in 2017 and then Europe in 2018. Thinking Europe will be in summer 2017 (festivals and maybe a few solo stadium shows). Feeling a Dublin summer date in Marlay Park or the Aviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    first tour dates of the new tour

rumblings of North American dates in 2017 and then Europe in 2018. Thinking Europe will be in summer 2017 (festivals and maybe a few solo stadium shows). Feeling a Dublin summer date in Marlay Park or the Aviva
    Big 4 concert would be unreal!

Degag wrote: »
    Big 4 concert would be unreal!

That would be rule In a stadium setting like the Rds or the Aviva but I'd take Metallica on the own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aviva I couldn't see them doing and they definitely wouldn't fill it, think that holds 60k for a concert.

rob316 wrote: »
    Aviva I couldn't see them doing and they definitely wouldn't fill it, think that holds 60k for a concert.

And they won't do 2nights at the 3 arena, so Marley or the RDS IT is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

On the World Magnetic tour the 3 arena (then the O2) wasn't suitable for the stage, that could be the case again - in which case it could be 2 nights in Belfast again

• Advertisement

I'd love to see them in an arena though, my cousin brought me to my first ever metallica show in 1999 to the point, I was like 12/13 it was epic.

I'd love to see them in an arena though, my cousin brought me to my first ever metallica show in 1999 to the point, I was like 12/13 it was epic.

I must admit, an indoor gig would be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I must admit, an indoor gig would be epic.

Few nights in The Academy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I was at the Point gigs in 92 and 96. I enjoyed the 96 gig much more, thought it was really good, Load songs included. The burning roadie was the only stupid bit.

They wouldn't do it, double the work for pretty much the same money, although I would happily pay a premium for an indoor gig. The money for these US bands is in the European summer festivals and outdoor gigs.

They defo wouldn't fill up the point on one night let alone a few

Of course they would, what's the 3Arena? 14/15,000

Did they confirm there doing the indoor round stage thing again ???

Croke Park, Slane, Punchestown deff out of the running as the venues are too big

If Ac/dc (with no major support on the bill) could do the Aviva than Metallica could easily do it with a strong support bill but it's doubtful

Dare I say it venues like Marley Park, Phoenix Park, Kilmanhiem hospital are perfect for them. Rds and the 3arena are too perfect

If the guys decided to explore outside of the Dublin in the republic than options include Nowlan Park Kilkenny, Thomond Park Limerick or the new place in Cork. All very doubtful

Just have to wait in all excitement to find out if we're chosen (if Guatamala can get a date than why can't we ??)

Of course they would, what's the 3Arena? 14/15,000

For some reason I thought they were bigger. Maybe it's possible.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Did they confirm there doing the indoor round stage thing again ???

Croke Park, Slane, Punchestown deff out of the running as the venues are too big

If Ac/dc (with no major support on the bill) could do the Aviva than Metallica could easily do it with a strong support bill but it's doubtful

Dare I say it venues like Marley Park, Phoenix Park, Kilmanhiem hospital are perfect for them. Rds and the 3arena are too perfect

The sound in the RDS sucked last time, I hope it's not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

sugarman wrote: »
    They drew 35k last time, 3 arena only holds about 12k. Perfect size over 2 nights, but again can't see it. Extra day when they can do it in one outdoor.

A night in the 3 arena and a night in the oddesey would be good too.

Hell if they did 2 nights in the 3 Arena, I'd go to both.

"Shut up and take my money".... I'd make a weekend out of it.

Can't see it happening though.

Advertisement