Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

For some reason I thought they were bigger. Maybe it's possible.

The sound in the RDS sucked last time, I hope it's not there.

That's the luck of the draw in this country. I saw Neil Young in the RDS a few years ago, and the sound was shocking(purely because of the wind), which nobody has any control over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just thinking there....the scene in straight outta compton where nwa are listening to ice cube ripping them a new one in 'no vasaline ' where they're absolutely sickened by what they're hearing yet can't disagree with any of it...got me wondering if Metallica were squirming watching that big Jason interview from a while back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Did they confirm there doing the indoor round stage thing again ???

Croke Park, Slane, Punchestown deff out of the running as the venues are too big

If Ac/dc (with no major support on the bill) could do the Aviva than Metallica could easily do it with a strong support bill but it's doubtful

Dare I say it venues like Marley Park, Phoenix Park, Kilmanhiem hospital are perfect for them. Rds and the 3arena are too perfect

If the guys decided to explore outside of the Dublin in the republic than options include Nowlan Park Kilkenny, Thomond Park Limerick or the new place in Cork. All very doubtful

Just have to wait in all excitement to find out if we're chosen (if Guatamala can get a date than why can't we ??)

Nowlan Park in Kilkenny, now that I'd love to see, it'll never happen because of all the Rod Stewart's, Dolly Parton's, Shania Twain's of the world :rolleyes:

Only good acts to play there ever were Paul Simon and Bruce Stringsteen's two shows, Bob Dylan and at a push James Taylor.

How can you go from those to Metallica like?

The old bogey's in the GAA would never allow Metallica play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

zcorpian88 wrote: »

The old bogey's in the GAA would never allow Metallica play there.

That's rubbish. The GAA love money and Metallica money's the same as anyone else's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

That's rubbish. The GAA love money and Metallica money's the same as anyone else's money.

Wouldn't think it was about money, I'd imagine anyone that operates the park don't like the sound of 15,000 metalheads wrecking their precious green by moshing and so forth, plus the local authorities would get it into their head that just because the music is heavy and aggressive that it would attract "aggressive looking people" and it would cause trouble in a small city like Kilkenny....when in fact it's exactly the opposite. Metal fans are the most easy going music fans in the world. Wish there was a Metallica gig outside the big smoke and down the country somewhere. Always imagined there'd be a lot of bureaucracy and nods against it, only because the music isn't personally their cup of tea.

• Advertisement

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Wouldn't think it was about money, I'd imagine anyone that operates the park don't like the sound of 15,000 metalheads wrecking their precious green by moshing and so forth, plus the local authorities would get it into their head that just because the music is heavy and aggressive that it would attract "aggressive looking people" and it would cause trouble in a small city like Kilkenny....when in fact it's exactly the opposite. Metal fans are the most easy going music fans in the world. Wish there was a Metallica gig outside the big smoke and down the country somewhere. Always imagined there'd be a lot of bureaucracy and nods against it, only because the music isn't personally their cup of tea.

Again, total rubbish. That's something out of a soap opera from the 80's. The days of 'metal heads' being considered dangerous because of how they look are long gone. What local authority would turn down a metal gig? Slayer were in a tent in Cork, DLR or SDCC (whichever one covers Marley Park) have put on Metallica and other contentious gigs over many years. And I know the GAA can be seen as fairly archaic but even they wouldn't fall for the stereotype of a bygone age. If the Royal Dublin Society can stomach Metallica fans gracing their hallowed turf, there's no reason why the GAA wouldn't as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Again, total rubbish. That's something out of a soap opera from the 80's. The days of 'metal heads' being considered dangerous because of how they look are long gone. What local authority would turn down a metal gig? Slayer were in a tent in Cork, DLR or SDCC (whichever one covers Marley Park) have put on Metallica and other contentious gigs over many years. And I know the GAA can be seen as fairly archaic but even they wouldn't fall for the stereotype of a bygone age. If the Royal Dublin Society can stomach Metallica fans gracing their hallowed turf, there's no reason why the GAA wouldn't as well.

"Aggressive" concert goers these days that cause trouble are the fcuking scobes that go to rave music festivals, trust me. I went to the swedish house mafia, with a couple friends and the wife, she wanted to see them. On the way in the security confiscated, screwdrivers, home made knives, hammers, fcuking hammers!?!. We left when trouble kicked off at 7:30. Metal heads don't do that shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Young scobies dont follow metal never have-just to add the amount of metal fans in ireland has enlarged due to the amount of international people living in ireland a few gigs ive been to lately are testament to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

He was the table, now he is The Doctor :pac:

Joking aside, fair play to him if true..

• Advertisement

Worth doing just to piss Lars off.

Change of plan for the deluxe edition of the new album.

Instead of the demos, there including the covers Ronnie Rising, Remember Tomorrow and When a Blind Man Cries. We still get Lord Of the Summer and they're throwing in the live set from the Record Store Day set they did too and Hard Wired live from Minneapolis.

I've enough live recordings from Metallica at this stage and have all the studio tracks already so would have preferred the demos.

I'd guess with the change of plans for the deluxe edition of the new album, the demos for the album will surface/leak online eventually at some point.

There's a video of Lars up on the website with him ticking off the last box of the last song to be completed. There are 13 songs on the board and LoS is one of them so it looks like they didn't record any other tracks in these sessions so no other covers on the horizon unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seachto7 wrote: »
    I was at the Point gigs in 92 and 96. I enjoyed the 96 gig much more, thought it was really good, Load songs included. The burning roadie was the only stupid bit.

96 gig was failry awful, the crowd was about 10 deep in parts because the stage was too big for The Point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Bambi wrote: »
    96 gig was failry awful, the crowd was about 10 deep in parts because the stage was too big for The Point

That was a great gig! :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Top Hat gig in Dun Laghaire in '88 was epic.

adox wrote: »
    The Top Hat gig in Dun Laghaire in '88 was epic.

I heard the audio, it was like Seattle '89, I suppose the anger after Cliff being killed was still very raw at that time. It's available on YouTube

Also the SFX 1986, Cliffs last gig in Ireland.

I heard the audio, it was like Seattle '89, I suppose the anger after Cliff being killed was still very raw at that time. It's available on YouTube

Also the SFX 1986, Cliffs last gig in Ireland.

Gonna bookmark those for later..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Who did you have support for the '88 gigs? I was living in Wales then and seen them 3 times that month in the UK where Danzig supported

As for the new single, this is coming from a former fan boy who's sen them over 30 times all over Europe, the first thing i noticed on Hardwired is the swearing, after all this crap we heard that James didn't want to swear onstage anymore then they come out with this, to me it smacked of "Look at us, we can swear, we're dangerous, we're back''
    The music is ok, maybe 7/10, the lyrics are dire, coming from metals proabably best ever writing team of Ulrich/Hetfield it really is mediocre

I'm not even fussed over the new album, i'll download it (illegally just to piss of Lars) as soon as i can, as for gigs, it's been a long time since i felt the need to travel to see them, if they play Dublin i'll go, nowhere else though

scudzilla wrote: »

As for the new single, this is coming from a former fan boy who's sen them over 30 times all over Europe, the first thing i noticed on Hardwired is the swearing, after all this crap we heard that James didn't want to swear onstage anymore then they come out with this, to me it smacked of "Look at us, we can swear, we're dangerous, we're back''
    The music is ok, maybe 7/10, the lyrics are dire, coming from metals proabably best ever writing team of Ulrich/Hetfield it really is mediocre

I'm not even fussed over the new album, i'll download it (illegally just to piss of Lars) as soon as i can, as for gigs, it's been a long time since i felt the need to travel to see them, if they play Dublin i'll go, nowhere else though

You see the mind of James Hetfield is that hurt and anger is what he wrote about in the past, as he said before "wounds are great for lyrics", he doesn't have all the anger in there anymore. Every album has been about him and his childhood or adulthood and substance abuse, hes nothing left to write about. So maybe when his daughter gets older and gets a "fella", there could be a new master of puppets or Kill em All in the making. He'll be angry all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How big was the Top Hat ???

Must of been cool back in the 60's/70's/80's when all bands played smaller venues and not giant arenas, stadiums etc

What changed ???

I wonder did bands go on world toura pre Elvis/Beatles time ??

Must of been cool back in the 60's/70's/80's when all bands played smaller venues and not giant arenas, stadiums etc

What changed ???

less than 1000 I think, I'm not sure, yes they traveled like they do now but it was to school gymnasiums and really small concert halls like the Olympia, but were supported by Anthrax. What changed? Album sales and acceptance into the mainstream courtesy of Bob Rock.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Gonna bookmark those for later..

Savage gigs pity I was only 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,316 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Say this video yesterday evening and Metallica have seen and praised the young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

could be bull**** but a guy on the Metclub fourms has siad someone he knws who is high up in the music business in Ireland told him that Metallica will headline Slane Castle in 2017. (the guy also mentioned that this person told him that ACDC would be touring in 2015 a month before ROB was announced)

I could only see Metallica in Slane with a top class support bill or if the capacity got reduced.

Aviva Stadium or the RDS please but who says they will actually play here on the next tour ???

I'd take what ya saw on the Metclub forums with a pinch of salt..

Also why is Slane being bandied about as a potential venue? anywhere but Slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

What changed ???

Yeah less than a thousand I would say. Wooden floor as well so the sound literally went through you.

The SFX was the king of small venues though. I saw so many of the great 80s bands there. Looking back it's amazing to think they all played there.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Yeah less than a thousand I would say. Wooden floor as well so the sound literally went through you.

The SFX was the king of small venues though. I saw so many of the great 80s bands there. Looking back it's amazing to think they all played there.

Is my memory a bit warped but wasn't it nearly wider than it was long? It had an old school hall feel about it too.

Advertisement