Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I like St. Anger. Sounds pretty good live too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »
    I like St. Anger. Sounds pretty good live too.

IMO that's the only bearable track on the album, either live or on cd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

scudzilla wrote: »
    IMO that's the only bearable track on the album, either live or on cd
    Pretty much, have a soft spot for The Unnamed Feeling too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I love the riff from Sweet Amber. But the lyrics are pretty bad and too repeditive.

My opinion on St Anger is, I like it when I am in the right mood but it is a pretty lacklusture album. I can see why they put it out due to record label pressure. Honestly if the songs were shorter, and not so reppeditive, and if any other band had released it, it would be considered a decent album. However Metallica released it, and due to their past record, what was expected was a collection of epic sounding songs. It was a case of the band failing to live up to their reputation.

I hope that makes sense :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

St anger isnt that bad at all, terrible production sound. Thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The only good thing about St Anger(can't believe we're talking about this again?)is the intro(s) to Frantic and Unnamed Feeling. The rest is pure rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

St anger isnt that bad at all, terrible production sound. Thats all.

No, no...there's much more then that

I remember going to see Metallica in 2003, when the roadies were getting the gear out, the first time someone hit the double bass on Lars' drumkit...people actually cheered in the crowd...and I just kept thinking, why, cause if a new band had released St Anger as their first effort they may have been praised as one to watch - but Metallica, releasing this overdrawn and cliched effort a few years too late just reacted badly...

I mean, think of it this way, if it was such a good album - why did they stop playing any songs from the album while they were still in the first year of touring upon it's release? The live tracks from that album have been varied and sparse and not really well received

One track, Frantic, played in the BBC in 2008....I think that was all for the Death Magnetic tour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My thoughts on St. Anger are that it's crap. But having said that there are a few good ideas and a few songs have good sections but I think they had 50 ideas or so and were determined to use every one on the album and squeeze every idea in somehow (how else could the kill, kill kill bit at the end be explained?).

If they'd just took the best bits (and improved the production of course) it might not have been as bad as it was.

I remember going to see Metallica in 2003, when the roadies were getting the gear out, the first time someone hit the double bass on Lars' drumkit...people actually cheered in the crowd...

They left the biscuit tins in the studio thank fcuk

I mean, think of it this way, if it was such a good album - why did they stop playing any songs from the album while they were still in the first year of touring upon it's release? The live tracks from that album have been varied and sparse and not really well received

I don't think its such a good album. I just don't think its that bad of an album.
    I don't think it stands up particularly well against the back catalogue. However, I do feel it is an interesting listen, especially when combined with the film. I think that Metallica has to get that album out of their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Here's the previously mentioned 'Macarena' from the '96 show. It was played as a jam before they launched into Whiplash. It's an audio only bootleg so sound quality is not A+:)

I think that Metallica had to get that album out of their system.

That's exactly what Lars Ulrich said.....for me St Anger was just a mistake, no doubt about it, thankfully they managed to turn it around with Death Magnetic

The only reason I own St Anger, the only reason, is because I'm a completest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That's exactly what Lars Ulrich said.....for me St Anger was just a mistake, no doubt about it, thankfully they managed to turn it around with Death Magnetic

The only reason I own St Anger, the only reason, is because I'm a completest

Same here. You just don't feel satisfaction unless you own all their albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The live "rehearsal" DVD that came with St Anger sounded a lot better IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There is a "Bob Rock" mix of Some Kind of Monster floating about and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the album. He's cut out a lot of the repetition from the song.

There's actually a few cool riffs on St Anger. Some Kind Of Monster, Invisible Kid and Sweet Amber are pretty cool - they just suffer from toolongitis.

There's also a lot of unofficial remixes about, some of which are good, some of which are terrible

From "St Anger, Awesome Thrash Metal Version,
    The Album Metallica Forgot How To Make

Live Debut of the Unnamed Feeling

Yesterday I read an interview with Journalist Mick Wall, who has just written and published a new book on Metallica called 'Enter Night'

I was particularly interested in a quote he made about Cliff Burton, the band's former bassist, in which he said....
    He certainly was incredibly important. I think without him, there would be no them. But I think also because he died, people trot out a lot of clichés about what happened. And the biggest cliché is that they had to carry on, because that's what Burton would have wanted them to. My response to that is simply 'Get over yourselves!' That's bull****. They carried on because that's what Ulrich and Hetfield wanted to. The other thing is how his death kind of freed them to become the monster success they became.

I think had he stayed in the band, they would have made a much more interesting album than '…And Justice For All'. But the fact that he wasn't around really did leave Ulrich and Hetfield to run the show without any interference. And it's Ulrich and Hetfield that have run the band ever since. You know Hammett gets his two cents worth in every now and then, but unless it's something that Ulrich and Hetfield thinks is a good idea, it isn't going to happen. And that's how the 'Black Album' came about. I have serious doubts that the 'Black Album' would have happened had Burton not died

What do people here think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yesterday I read an interview with Journalist Mick Wall, who has just written and published a new book on Metallica called 'Enter Night'

I was particularly interested in a quote he made about Cliff Burton, the band's former bassist, in which he said....

What do people here think?

That view has been pretty much taken for granted for the bones of 15 years now. Have seen it trotted out by Wall and other journos as well as close friends of Burton.

As for the book, it is a pretty good read and given that it is going for a tenner on Amazon now, it is well worth getting whether you are a Metallica fan or just someone with a passing interest.

Has anyone read Joel McIver's book about Metallica? Thought it was a good book, plenty of detail. Unfortunately he allows his own opinion to form most of his "truth" when he is debunking the myths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Seen a book in an friends house the other day- Metallica and Philosophy...

**** the world :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Got 'Enter Night' for Christmas, very good read.

A lot of interesting things in there, as Mick Wall never beats around the bush and didn't have to please Q-Prime with anything.

Pretty much a certainty that had Cliff not died then Lars would have been fired

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

D.Q wrote: »
    Has anyone read Joel McIver's book about Metallica? Thought it was a good book, plenty of detail. Unfortunately he allows his own opinion to form most of his "truth" when he is debunking the myths.

Good book alright but sometimes it went off on a waffle about metal etc etc which got kinda boring. Almost like he couldnt find any more info on Metallica and went off on a waffle to fill in the gaps. Although I loved the stories from the early 80s when thrash metal bands were popping up all over the place and how their tapes were "networked". Id say they were great gigs to be at.

Anyway heres my top 10 Mett' Songs.
    1. The Four Horsemen
    2. Unforgiven
    3. One
    4. Master Of Puppets
    5. Nothing Else Matters
    6. Enter Sandman
    7. Creeping Death
    8. Sad But True
    9. Battery
    10. Whiplash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We don't know what would have happened without Cliff, but I would say he would have been first to move away from "metal"...probably towards a more prog sound..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

We don't know what would have happened without Cliff, but I would say he would have been first to move away from "metal"...probably towards a more prog sound..
    Funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Wasnt cliff into REM and classical music etc? He would have been the first one to suggest branching out.

D.Q wrote: »

I like that book but as you mentioned the author is very self-opinionated and that comes through a lot in his work

Is there any truth to the rumour that Hetfield asked Ulrich to fire Newsted after 6 months of him being in the band, mainly because he was tired of Newsted trying to get involved in Metallica....Hetfield just wanted a replacement who could play bass, wear black, stand there, and bang his head....does Wall mention any of that?

I know Wall did talk a lot about Newsted in the interview I read with him
    By the tail end of the '90s, they were quite self-harmful when they tried to reinvent themselves as a band of the '90s. I mean they put on makeup, they had body piercings, and Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich were now kissing each other in public, which only sent James Hetfield insane.

They were also bullying the new boy Jason Newsted. The only thing Newsted ever got out of METALLICA was rich. He got no respect, and he was never treated as an equal. In 15 years, he got exactly three co-songwriting credits on what happened to be their three least interesting tracks. And in the end he walks out in a state of dreadful anger and bitterness, which then causes the band to kind of explode.

That, I don't think I want to see...

I like that book but as you mentioned the author is very self-opinionated and that comes through a lot in his work

Is there any truth to the rumour that Hetfield asked Ulrich to fire Newsted after 6 months of him being in the band, mainly because he was tired of Newsted trying to get involved in Metallica....Hetfield just wanted a replacement who could play bass, wear black, stand there, and bang his head....does Wall mention any of that?

Yeah, he talks about that.

Apparently they (Hetfield & Ulrich) wanted to fire him but Mensch/Burnstein basically told 'em to get fcuked and to live with there decision, great management move :D

I don't think anybody would have been good enough to replace Cliff at the time, and they didn't have time to greive, they were auditonining 2 weeks after his death and playing a Japanese tour a few weeks later!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That was during the Load and ReLoad periods. Ulrich was doing his "I've always been a huge fan of the alternative music scene and of alternative lifstyles" routine. He and Hammett went around in frilly gothic shirts and were caked in make up and eye liner.

Was pretty much a pathetic attempt to seem "hip" although given the amount of shyte that Ulrich tends to spout he probably thought that he was a trendsetter.

Rewatched Some Kind Of Monster a few weeks back, and damn are those boys not in touch with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kess73 wrote: »
    That was during the Load and ReLoad periods. Ulrich was doing his "I've always been a huge fan of the alternative music scene and of alternative lifstyles" routine. He and Hammett went around in frilly gothic shirts and were caked in make up and eye liner.

Was pretty much a pathetic attempt to seem "hip" although given the amount of shyte that Ulrich tends to spout he probably thought that he was a trendsetter.

Rewatched Some Kind Of Monster a few weeks back, and damn are those boys not in touch with reality.
    The lars and kirk "love in" during that era was largely down to copious amounts of cocaine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The lars and kirk "love in" during that era was largely down to copious amounts of cocaine!

Plus other stuff if the Mick Wall book is to be believed. One decent album, and one s***e album came from that period.

• Advertisement

Plus other stuff if the Mick Wall book is to be believed. One decent album, and one s***e album came from that period.

I don't know if people agree but I tend to like Load (as a standalone Rock album, not as a Metallica album, and I love tracks like Bleeding Me and Wasting My Hate) but I reckon that not even Metallica realised how much they had alienated their long term fans with the video for "Until It Sleeps" and did a serious backtrack on "ReLoad" by making some more faster, live friendly, tracks that aren't half bad

Could you imagine being a hardcore Metallica fan in 1995/96 with long hair, denim and patches all over and (in a time before the general use of the Internet) suddenly seeing this premièred on MTV...

The person who uploaded this video also believes James Hetfield is dead....

Advertisement