Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Sure they lived in each others pockets right till the end with Cliff, lived in the same house, had to share hotel rooms and even beds on tour because the money wasn't rolling in then, shame Cliff never really got to see them get their first gold record which they got 2 months after the bus accident, probably didn't get to see much of the cash either, at least he got to enjoy the tours.

I'd say all cliff's royalties went straight to his mother and father, and probably a few quid here and there, it does look like metallica looked after his parents. Ray hasn't a bad word to say about the lads. Search for Ray Burton on CNN. He gave an interview at the ripe old age of 90, talking about his son and how Orion is his favourite song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I'd say all cliff's royalties went straight to his mother and father, and probably a few quid here and there, it does look like metallica looked after his parents. Ray hasn't a bad word to say about the lads. Search for Ray Burton on CNN. He gave an interview at the ripe old age of 90, talking about his son and how Orion is his favourite song.

Brilliant,

Yeah Cliff's family went through a lot of hardship, sure Cliff had a brother too that died of an aneurysm about 10 years before Cliff died, he was only 16 or so, and Cliff wanted to be the best bassist for his brother. Also his mother had just recovered from cancer when the bus accident happened, which must have been devastating. His mother passed away later, the cancer returned a few years after and she passed away I think during the black album tour. Read it in the to live is to die bio. Must check out that CNN interview, I've seen him online a few times, he's a lovely man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Have I hurt a nerve? I was joking :)

Tone doesn't come across in text unfortunately ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And the band's set from Central Park (as part of the Global Citizen event) will be livestreamed on YouTube tomorrow.

http://loudwire.com/metallica-live-stream-global-citizen-festival-performance/

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/festival/2016/livestream/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

They looked completely out of place at that concert. The majority of the crowd clearly weren't into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

They looked completely out of place at that concert. The majority of the crowd clearly weren't into it.

Crowd were pathetic. If you're not into it go home. Very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not simple at all. It wasn't a metal line up. Most of the crowd were probably there to see Rihanna and Kendrik Lamar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Not simple at all. It wasn't a metal line up. Most of the crowd were probably there to see Rihanna and Kendrik Lamar.

Have to say they sounded shít, couldn't hear kirk at all, too much bass drowning out the guitars, obviously because it wasn't their own stage setup, brutal tbh.

Ah I thought Metallica headlined it.

Ah I thought Metallica headlined it.

I don't know where on the bill they were but it was still daylight when they played so there must have been a few of the 'bigger' names on after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The band are playing a special Fan Club show at Webster Hall in New York on Tuesday.

Tuesday also marks the 30th anniversary of Cliff's death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

why would they go home...5 metallica songs and then it's back to the ****e they went to see

why would they go home...5 metallica songs and then it's back to the ****e they went to see

Because if you'd read my follow up post I thought Metallica were headlining! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Maybe they weren't into bands which have long outstayed their welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

The band are playing a special Fan Club show at Webster Hall in New York on Tuesday.

Tuesday also marks the 30th anniversary of Cliff's death.

I think that's a first for the band, if you ever look back on past tour dates, they always had September 27th off, don't know if that was just coincidence or they arrange it so they have that day off when they tour.

Should be an emotional day for them, maybe they'll play Orion or Ktulu, or both even! Or even Anesthesia, which Rob does a great job with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The thing is put together by the lead lad from Coldplay with the notion of ending severe poverty by 2030, shock horror the bill is jammed with mainstream acts (which Metallica are btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The thing is put together by the lead lad from Coldplay with the notion of ending severe poverty by 2030, shock horror the bill is jammed with mainstream acts (which Metallica are btw)
    Yes an event with a bill consisting of jaded millionaires like Metallica is just what they need to get the point across about severe poverty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Rob's suicidal tendencies cap? Does he want to go back there? Off you go boyo, we'll have Jason back crab boy.
    Have I hurt a nerve? I was joking :)

I'd have Jason back in a hearbeat, he brought so much more to the table than Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Have to say they sounded shít, couldn't hear kirk at all, too much bass drowning out the guitars, obviously because it wasn't their own stage setup, brutal tbh.

Granted it wasn't there own setup but brutal is a bit of a stretch. Sounded pretty good to me with one sounding great:)

Yes an event with a bill consisting of jaded millionaires like Metallica is just what they need to get the point across about severe poverty.

I had the same feelings about Live Earth. Air travel is probably one of the biggest polluters there is and here are these rock starts who probably have more air miles than anyone telling us to save the earth!

But hey, it gets you on telly and you can sell a few albums by doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd hardly call Metallica jaded, but everyone's entitled to their opinions.

I doubt the band really give 2 flying fiddle to be honest.

Thems my 2 cents.

Thems my 2 cents.

Actually that would be the very definition of jaded.

Seeing them pander to a crowd of utterly disinterested Rhianna fans is, unortunately, another low point in the band's recent history. It certainly does nothing for their attempts to cultivate the image of the band that "goes against the grain".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Well that "Hardwired" track was certainly jaded :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Actually that would be the very definition of jaded.

Seeing them pander to a crowd of utterly disinterested Rhianna fans is, unortunately, another low point in the band's recent history. It certainly does nothing for their attempts to cultivate the image of the band that "goes against the grain".

I would have thought it actually was going against the grain,big metal act amongst a load of ****e pop and r&b artists. For all we know it could be a cause the band passionately believe in(thankfully they've kept their politics to themselves over the years) and they seem to get some enjoyment from being the outsiders,live earth/global citizen/Glastonbury etc.

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of James' political beliefs would struggle to make the above argument stick. I seriously doubt that hunting and the right to own as many firearms as you like would rank very high with the "global citizen movement" (whatever the fvck that is).

Can we not just call this for what it blatantly is? An ageing rockband with a new album coming out that is trying to connect with a young and as yet untapped demographic (generic pop music fans) and failing miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I honestly don't think Metallica could give a **** about connecting with a new audience,they've a massive fan base as it is,they don't need to pimp themselves out to a load of kids.

As for James,i think he's a different man now to the one that was portrayed in the 'year and a half in the life' DVDs. Not that it matters,they could have just been doing the gig for the craic for all we know!

lord lucan wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Metallica could give a **** about connecting with a new audience,they've a massive fan base as it is,they don't need to pimp themselves out to a load of kids.

As for James,i think he's a different man now to the one that was portrayed in the 'year and a half in the life' DVDs. Not that it matters,they could have just been doing the gig for the craic for all we know!

Yeah, for the craic.

Sometimes this thread could be a case study in fanboyism and flat out self delusion. And for what its worth - James is quite categorically still pro hunt. As is completely his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Playing the royal arena in Copenhagen denmark on the 3rd and 5th Feb 2017

'We will be opening the doors of the Royal Arena for the first time on February 3 and 5, 2017 and as of this time these shows are our only scheduled European appearances of ’17, until the Fall at the earliest. So if you need a Metallica fix soon hopefully you can make it to Copenhagen!'

Not looking promising for us if there doing an indoor Euro tour in autumn 2017 but u never knw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thems my 2 cents.

to be fair iron maiden (apart from harris) look really jaded!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What is it with some rock fans that an ageing musician seems to annoy them?

Advertisement