Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

seachto7 wrote: »
    What is it with some rock fans that an ageing musician seems to annoy them?

I don't think the posts about Metallica being jaded were referring to how they look or how they've aged. The post about Maiden seems to be saying that but isn't really in context with what was said about Metallica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

New song "Moth into Flame" was played for the first time on the Haward Stern show. Video up on the Metallica.com homepage.

New song "Moth into Flame" was played for the first time on the Haward Stern show. Video up on the Metallica.com homepage.

I enjoyed that. Much better than Hardwirwd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Available on spotify too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Playing the royal arena in Copenhagen denmark on the 3rd and 5th Feb 2017

It seems to be 160euro for a standing ticket :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

New stuff sounds ok, guitar tracks are good but I'm not gone on any of the lyrics, the tin can sound isn't there anymore atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

So much better then Hardwired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

****ing hell!! Someone's got their mojo back, that's 2 in a row, and I'm loving the new sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Holy **** was not expecting this. That's much better than I expected.

Love the bit that sounds like Volbeat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It seems to be 160euro for a standing ticket :confused::confused:

It's 12euro a pint over there so i guess 150 aint too farfetched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I lost interest halfway through.

Whatever Metallica had to say musically has been said a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm 40. been with them since 88. (one on top of the pops). I wish them well but I'm starting to think I'm just not into the new stuff. I'll give it a good go. hopefully there'll be some progressive honest tunes on it. I enjoyed dtnc and the instrumental and all nightmare long off the last one. I'm not a fan of the Rick rubin old song rehash technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,857 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

was going to ask Why would Metallica pick Denmark over other European places to a do exclusive euro shows in early 2017 but i figured out why lol

sort of a mini homecoming for them (although the danish is well gone out of Lars now lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

birthplace of lars and rtl and mop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Strong song from them, however, isnt it amazing just how good their first 4 albums were, i think it ws just the times - the 80's, when imagination prevailed and the world didn't take itself so serious! Absolute classics though, rightly made them the titans of metal. Amazing band, this song is nowhere near the classics but respect to them for keeping things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Bit disappointed over the news there won't be a run of outdoor summer European shows, I guess 2 dates back to back in the 3 Arena could end up happening in Autumn next year after all.

New track isn't bad either, I do like Kirk's guitar work on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

James Hetfield confirmed that Murder One on the new album is a tribute to Lemmy.
    The song features lyrics made up of Motorhead song titles.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-27/new-metallica-track-murder-one-is-a-tribute-to-lemmy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    James Hetfield confirmed that Murder One on the new album is a tribute to Lemmy.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-27/new-metallica-track-murder-one-is-a-tribute-to-lemmy

Had a feeling it had something to do with Lemmy when I first saw the tracklist, think I said it on here weeks ago, only because it reads "Murder One" on Lemmy's amp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched the Moth to a Flame there on youtube again, next song came on was St. Anger and then Frantic, I hadn't heard it in ages. St Anger is easily the worst stuff they put out, while I respect them for their ever changing style, that album was just awful.

Tin can drums, cringey nu-metal lyrics, bob rock playing bass, horrible guitars. Just ****e it was.

Puppets & Sad But True from their appearance on The Howard Stern Show yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Strong song from them, however, isnt it amazing just how good their first 4 albums were, i think it ws just the times - the 80's, when imagination prevailed and the world didn't take itself so serious! Absolute classics though, rightly made them the titans of metal. Amazing band, this song is nowhere near the classics but respect to them for keeping things going.

I was around for the thrash explosion. It was a great time to be discovering music properly. So many great metal bands knocking around, plus hardcore stuff too that inevitably rubbed off on me.

Metallica were one of "my" bands, along with Slayer, Kreator and what have you and yes, their first four albums were amazing, even the kind of maligned '...And Justice for All'. Not that we cared in 1988.

However, myself and a lot of others always felt that something died in Metallica after 1988. The bigger, "friendlier" sound of 'The Black Album' signified a turn into something that seemed to want to shed its past. There are a couple of good songs on the record, but by and large it wasn't the Metallica people were used to in the 80's. The likes of 'Enter Sandman' had me and my mates' heads shaking something violently. It only got worse from there on, sadly.

However, 'Moth to a Flame' (and 'Hardwired') was a pleasant surprise! Sure, it's not near their classic 80's output, but it's nice to have a Metallica tune actually grab you. Great riff, some aggression, a bit of speed, nice hooks. Lyrics are a bit meh though.

First time I've looked forward to a Metallica album in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why won't they play any new stuff live in the last week instead of flogging the same old songs to death yet again!

Why won't they play any new stuff live in the last week instead of flogging the same old songs to death yet again!

They might do at the Fan Club show in New York tonight.

It's a double album. Surely they can fire in a few more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They might do at the Fan Club show in New York tonight.

Nope, only the two released songs.

Set list from the Fan Club show

Breadfan (Budgie cover)
    Holier Than Thou
    Battery
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Fade to Black
    Moth Into Flame (Live Debut)
    Sad But True
    Orion
    One
    Master of Puppets
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Enter Sandman
    Whiskey in the Jar
    Hardwired
    Seek & Destroy (Followed by very brief "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" jam session)

Breadfan........love that song!

Set list from the Fan Club show

Breadfan (Budgie cover)
    Holier Than Thou
    Battery
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Fade to Black
    Moth Into Flame (Live Debut)
    Sad But True
    Orion
    One
    Master of Puppets
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Enter Sandman
    Whiskey in the Jar
    Hardwired
    Seek & Destroy (Followed by very brief "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" jam session)

2 new songs? What a let down. Same set list over and over and over and over. Why not lash in a rake of new ones....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

Aside from the new material, Metallica are sort of cornered in terms of setlists (their setlist fan submission thing a couple of years ago was pretty uninspired - all good songs but all the songs Metallica frequently play). Nobody really wants to hear St Anger stuff, and Load/Reload material seems to be off the table also.

Advertisement